Invitation to "The Fountainhead" online reading group

At 3 p.m. (e.s.t. ) tomorrow (Saturday, June 3rd), I will be moderating the 4th gathering of the "The Fountainhead" Reading Group, which is  sponsored by the Atlas Society. The one-hour discussions, one of which included David Kelley (the founder of the Atlas Society), have been excellent so far, enriched with humor and spontaneous remarks. (Michael Newberry has been a regular participant.) The group has averaged around 6 participants, but we would like to attract more people interested in Ayn Rand. Thus, when I was asked if I could drum up more people, I immediately thought of OL members. Some come on, guys, give it a try. Make me look good. You can always leave if you don't find the discussion interesting.  

The discussion this week will focus on chapters 10 through 13 of The Fountainhead. Go to this page for additional information:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheFountainhead/?pnref=story

The link to the GoToMeeting software differs from week to week, and the link for a particular meeting is usually not posted until a few hours before the event. So if you want to participate consult this website around noon or later on Saturday. I will also post the link on this thread. If you don't want to participate on video, you can simply use your phone for audio.

Ghs

1 hour ago, George H. Smith said:

At 3 p.m. (e.s.t. ) tomorrow (Saturday, June 3rd), I will be moderating the 4th gathering of the "The Fountainhead" Reading Group, which is  sponsored by the Atlas Society. The one-hour discussions, one of which included David Kelley (the founder of the Atlas Society), have been excellent so far, enriched with humor and spontaneous remarks. (Michael Newberry has been a regular participant.) The group has averaged around 6 participants, but we would like to attract more people interested in Ayn Rand. Thus, when I was asked if I could drum up more people, I immediately thought of OL members. Some come on, guys, give it a try. Make me look good. You can always leave if you don't find the discussion interesting.  

The discussion this week will focus on chapters 10 through 13 of The Fountainhead. Go to this page for additional information:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheFountainhead/?pnref=story

The link to the GoToMeeting software differs from week to week, and the link for a particular meeting is usually not posted until a few hours before the event. So if you want to participate consult this website around noon or later on Saturday. I will also post the link on this thread. If you don't want to participate on video, you can simply use your phone for audio.

Ghs

Thank you for the Head's Up.

George,

I've listened to the first video and half of the second. I intend to listen to them all. (Man, what the hell's going on with the audio? Come on, guys! :) )

The comments made me think a lot. For example, I loved your opening question about Roark laughing naked as the first image in The Fountainhead, seeing how Rand was a careful writer.

(There's also that quite metaphysical cliff edge he's standing on, which makes a great metaphor for a philosophical cliff--including the waters of wisdom he dives naked and laughing into as he chooses to act. :) And what's that business about Peter Keating, not Howard Roark, being the first character name mentioned in the book? Hmmmmm?... :) )

If I can make it, I will. I haven't been able to before. I wasn't so much interested in a book club discussion, but to make you look good, well, ya' got me with that argument. :) 

I'll definitely sign up to the Facebook page if you guys will have me. :evil: 

Michael

14 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

George,

I've listened to the first video and half of the second. I intend to listen to them all. (Man, what the hell's going on with the audio? Come on, guys! :) )

The comments made me think a lot. For example, I loved your opening question about Roark laughing naked as the first image in The Fountainhead, seeing how Rand was a careful writer.

(There's also that quite metaphysical cliff edge he's standing on, which makes a great metaphor for a philosophical cliff--including the waters of wisdom he dives naked and laughing into as he chooses to act. :) And what's that business about Peter Keating, not Howard Roark, being the first character name mentioned in the book? Hmmmmm?... :) )

If I can make it, I will. I haven't been able to before. I wasn't so much interested in a book club discussion, but to make you look good, well, ya' got me with that argument. :) 

I'll definitely sign up to the Facebook page if you guys will have me. :evil: 

Michael

I noticed the same thing about the poor quality of the audio recordings (though not in the live discussion). I will pass your observation on to the person in charge.

The Fountainhead Reading Group just ended. A good time was had by all. David Kelley was there, so was Michael Newberry, in addition to 6 other people or so. . But other than Michael not one OL member showed up. So what's up with you deadbeats? We are discussing changing the time to a weekday evening, in case Saturday afternoons are inconvenient. Would that help?

1 hour ago, George H. Smith said:

The Fountainhead Reading Group just ended. A good time was had by all. David Kelley was there, so was Michael Newberry, in addition to 6 other people or so. . But other than Michael not one OL member showed up. So what's up with you deadbeats? We are discussing changing the time to a weekday evening, in case Saturday afternoons are inconvenient. Would that help?

You and David Kelley. Pass.

2 hours ago, George H. Smith said:

But other than Michael not one OL member showed up. So what's up with you deadbeats? We are discussing changing the time to a weekday evening, in case Saturday afternoons are inconvenient. Would that help?

George,

It might. I was going to be there today, but I fell ill. (I know, I know, the dog ate my homework. :) But I really was zonked out in bed fighting a bug.)

People generally like to do stuff Saturday afternoons. Sitting in on a webinar is not much of a temptation against a bright sunny afternoon.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

George,

It might. I was going to be there today, but I fell ill. (I know, I know, the dog ate my homework. :) But I really was zonked out in bed fighting a bug.)

People generally like to do stuff Saturday afternoons. Sitting in on a webinar is not much of a temptation against a bright sunny afternoon.

Michael

I just got back from my bike ride.  Given a choice between riding a bike on a bright dry 70 degree day or  discussing a book,   I say the bike beats the book.