The following is exactly what has bothered me on a visceral level about fake news since the beginning. It's not the lies (we deal with liars every day). It's the people who are lying, know they are lying, and despite that, believe their own lies.

My lizard brain doesn't know how to process that when I encounter it and it makes me feel like the bottom fell out of my stomach.

Uncanny valley indeed.

The feeling is not one of making space for hyperbole like when Rand called certain people subhuman. It's looking at someone and feeling--as true--that they are not quite human even though they appear to be.

That's what I observe and feel when I watch most of the mainstream news media these days.

It's creepy.

Michael

To my layman's ear reinfection and subsequent cumulative damage sounds beyond what is known of virology. It seems new pathogens would need to be introduced but if that is the case and the plan, then we need to start discussions about bombing the CCP out of existence.

( this post was supposed to follow Peter's)

• Like 1

On April 24, 2020 at 8:37 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Environmentalists have been longing for a virus or other catastrophe for decades to teach humans a lesson they will never forget. I think these fruitcakes will see the coronavirus as a warm-up once the coronaviurs mess passes.

This today as a guest article on the website of The Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystems Services (IPBES):

https://ipbes.net/covid19stimulus

COVID-19 Stimulus Measures Must Save Lives, Protect Livelihoods,

and Safeguard Nature to Reduce the Risk of Future Pandemics

IPBES Expert Guest Article by Professors Josef Settele, Sandra Díaz and Eduardo Brondizio[1] and Dr. Peter Daszak[2] on 27 April 2020

There is a single species that is responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic - us. As with the climate and biodiversity crises, recent pandemics are a direct consequence of human activity – particularly our global financial and economic systems, based on a limited paradigm that prizes economic growth at any cost. We have a small window of opportunity, in overcoming the challenges of the current crisis, to avoid sowing the seeds of future ones.   

[....]

Although animal-to-human diseases already cause an estimated 700,000 deaths each year, the potential for future pandemics is vast. As many as 1.7 million unidentified viruses of the type known to infect people are believed to still exist in mammals and water birds. Any one of these could be the next ‘Disease X’ – potentially even more disruptive and lethal than COVID-19.

Future pandemics are likely to happen more frequently, spread more rapidly, have greater economic impact and kill more people if we are not extremely careful about the possible impacts of the choices we make today.

First, we must ensure the strengthening and enforcement of environmental regulations. [....]

Second, we should adopt a ‘One Health’ approach at all levels of decision-making. [...]

Third, we have to properly fund and resource health systems and incentivise behaviour change on the frontlines of pandemic risk. [....]

Perhaps most importantly, we need transformative change [...] fundamental, system-wide reorganization across technological, economic and social factors, including paradigms, goals and values, promoting social and environmental responsibilities across all sectors.

Responding to the COVID-19 crisis calls for us all to confront the vested interests that oppose transformative change, and to end ‘business as usual’. We can build back better and emerge from the current crisis stronger and more resilient than ever – but to do so means choosing policies and actions that protect nature – so that nature can help to protect us.

Remains to be seen how much enthusiasm appeals like this will arouse.

Ellen

2 hours ago, anthony said:

Sure, what's new? The warming alarmists and the pandemic alarmists are one and the same people and want to dictate to everyone.

The warming alarmists and pandemic alarmists are NOT identical sets.  Overlap, yes, especially among follower enthusiasts, but not identity, especially among instigators and "climate science" profiteers.

Ellen

53 minutes ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

The warming alarmists and pandemic alarmists are NOT identical sets.  Overlap, yes, especially among follower enthusiasts, but not identity, especially among instigators and "climate science" profiteers.

Ellen

How are you sure? The overlap is bigger than you think. For both, their ideology is the same and scientism and bad science is their validation. I hear them, the same individuals on both bandwagons. Nature is out to get us because we were bad to the Earth and must feel the guilt of messing around with her, and pay with self-sacrifices. I point out that it is not simply for the money, for the great number of "alarmists", it's about taking the control over any dissenters who refuse to buy into their faith and a future global utopia. Everybody must submit, for that outcome. Haven't you heard comments:  "Coronavirus is the Earth is cleansing itself of people"? "Humanity is being punished". And similar. 

There's rational and appropriate fear and sadness from the pandemic, but don't confuse with the agenda-driven motives by fear-mongers. Some opportunists delight in this.

22 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

Those groups of puppets have strings leading to one puppeteer.

But it is the puppets, the true believers, who empower the puppet masters.

We come at this from opposite causal ends, Jon,

Without the people, in their billions, with their ideology and Faith in "The Earth" and mankind's guilty evil - the manipulators have no power, nothing.

48 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Yes, we see causality very differently. You don't seem to grasp that the people in their billions believe all that because the manipulators made them believe it by corrupting scientists, journalists and mass media to systematically brainwash them.

And who is one of the the most anti-MSM posters here but myself? Of course - the High Priests were essential to the genesis of this faith.

But you guys cannot ignore the ideological base who propagate Earth dogma themselves. Also critical, the willing self-sacrifice of their minds.

An independent mind can NOT be brainwashed.

A 2-way interplay between sacrificers and self-sacrificers.

2 hours ago, anthony said:

Tony,

Note - from the article you linked to: "the world’s leading biodiversity experts [my emphasis]."

Contra the article's headline, "biodiversity experts" are hardly "top scientists" (if any of them even properly qualifies as a scientist).   And they certainly aren't "climate scientists."  Different crew.  The "biodiversity" people come from a biology background, not a physics/meteorology background.

"Biodiversity" has become a crusade for the "right to exist" of every blinking species on earth (except, arguably, the human species) -.the tsetse fly, the scads of other insect species, pests to humans or not, etc., etc.

I am confident - your milesge appears to vary - that "the average Joe Doe" who's been bamboozled into thinking that some kind of human-caused "climate crisis" is underway wouldn't sign on to self-immolation for the sake of not letting any species perish from the face of the earth.

Ellen

On April 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM, anthony said:

Haven't you heard comments:  "Coronavirus is the Earth is cleansing itself of people"? "Humanity is being punished". And similar.

No, I haven't heard such comments.  I don't doubt that there are people who make them, but I haven't encountered any in conversations myself.

Ellen

24 minutes ago, anthony said:

I posted an article, of what scientists themselves are claiming of a link(virus to environmentalism) and which is representative of the greater community.

What "scientists themselves"?  What community?  Biodiversity people, not climatologists. And what you posted is a newspaper report (from The Guardian yet) of a propaganda statement from the UN which extensively took as its source the very IPBES guest article I posted excerpts from a couple days ago.

Your muddleness is at it again.   I shall leave it there.

Ellen

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

Tony,

Note - from the article you linked to: "the world’s leading biodiversity experts [my emphasis]."

Contra the article's headline, "biodiversity experts" are hardly "top scientists" (if any of them even properly qualifies as a scientist).   And they certainly aren't "climate scientists."  Different crew.  The "biodiversity" people come from a biology background, not a physics/meteorology background.

"Biodiversity" has become a crusade for the "right to exist" of every blinking species on earth (except, arguably, the human species) -.the tsetse fly, the scads of other insect species, pests to humans or not, etc., etc.

I am confident - your milesge appears to vary - that "the average Joe Doe" who's been bamboozled into thinking that some kind of human-caused "climate crisis" is underway wouldn't sign on to self-immolation for the sake of not letting any species perish from the face of the earth.

Ellen

Not actual, physical "self-immolation", but mind self- sacrifice. Joe Doe *wants* to be bamboozled, he allows it. The greatest brain-washer is ineffectual when nobody pays him attention.

Even more, I was talking to someone today who kept inferring that *other people* in general will and have and perhaps - should - be immolated for the sake of the "Earth".

There is a gloating undercurrent with this pandemic. Not just that Nature is cleansing itself of mankind but that "we" (oh, but not ME) deserve it. What would happen if such people took over political power?

The saved shall inherit the Earth and the unsaved will (regrettably) perish. One has to notice that they are true religionists about Nature, she has a will and consciousness.

Quite, "right to exist". Biodiversity.

Diversity among the human tribes and equally, biodiversity among all species, both very much the preserve of Leftists and skeptics..

11 minutes ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

What "scientists themselves"?  What community?  Biodiversity people, not climatologists. And what you posted is a newspaper report (from The Guardian yet) of a propaganda statement from the UN which extensively took as its source the very IPBES guest article I posted excerpts from a couple days ago.

Your muddleness is at it again.   I shall leave it there.

Ellen

You are going off on a scientific quest. I am saying that the "people" don't know the distinctions about climatologists vs. virologists vs. biodiversity.

These are all "science" to the layman.

May be you don't get the magnitude of ideology which is at the base. This is not all about scientists and political power and money. This is belief.

You come from your specialty.

1 hour ago, Jon Letendre said:

Anything can be envisioned when we imagine human nature being different from actual.

Absolutely, this is all about actual identity and true identification.  Human nature is man 's nature. He has consciousness. His identity is he can identify, think and value. To extreme, egalitarian, environmentalists, humankind is just another species, with no more intrinsic worth than the rest. (And since he is the great despoiler of the Earth, probably less). How do they know this?

By implying value, but not according it to men.

The Earth couldn't give a stuff if mankind were wiped out in a blink. Then who or what's left, to see and find "value" in - anything - on Earth and elsewhere? Humans only, can value themselves and their lives (and all the rest). Therefore to live, man must identify and subordinate nature.

Re-visiting the basics you know.

You think that positing a time "when nobody pays brainwashers any attention" is an example of true identification of human nature? Of course not, you will explain. Then you will re-assert the same and report not seeing how you've done so. You win, Tony. I'm sorry, I don't have time to continue.

1 hour ago, Jon Letendre said:

You think that positing a time "when nobody pays brainwashers any attention" is an example of true identification of human nature? Of course not, you will explain. Then you will re-assert the same and report not seeing how you've done so. You win, Tony. I'm sorry, I don't have time to continue.

What?  Did you read properly?

here: "The greatest brain-washer is ineffectual when nobody pays him attention".

I.e. independent minds aren't affected by propaganda. My meaning and context. ("When" also means "in the case of");

Then you make as if I was identifying human nature; rather quote the context.

Nobody's going to explain and resist the growing wave of GW alarmism (nor the panic about corona) by rationales of science and 'scientism', and not by motives of politics and money -- only.

They are the visible tip of the iceberg.

AGW plainly has an ideological root. All to do with people's notions about reality. The Earth is fighting back - is no metaphor; they mean it literally.

I learned a new term for a kind of fake news I have been calling "trading up the chain" (a term I got from Ryan Holiday's book, Trust Me, I'm Lying). The new term is in yesterday's article below by Jonathan Turley:

Andrew McCabe’s Bizarre CNN Interview

First a little context from the article:

CNN host John Berman interviewed McCabe.  CNN has long used McCabe to give analysis on a host of Trump-related stories despite being fired by Trump, ridiculed for his prior bias, and referred (by career officials) for possible criminal charges.

This interview, however, was even more remarkable.  The documents released in the Flynn case referred to McCabe and his alleged misconduct.  He was not asked about any of the specific allegations against him.  Instead, he gave a revisionist history that quickly crossed into fantasy.

. . .

... McCabe was left unchallenged in saying that at that time there was a close question as to whether to close Crossfire Razor when his investigators found nothing.  Nothing.  That made it a close question for McCabe whether to continue to investigate the incoming Trump National Security Adviser.

What McCabe stated next was truly incredible.  He told Berman that he then learned that Flynn has arranged “surreptitious meetings” with the Russians.  He explained that this was akin to investigating someone for drug dealing and then learning about his meeting with drug dealers. The problem is that there was no evidence of a crime of any kind against Flynn.  Moreover, this was not a “surreptitious” meeting. 

. . .

The most surprising element of the interview however was not McCabe reinventing history but the complete absence of probing questions about these contradictions or the allegations against him personally in this case. 

. . .

In this story, McCabe is not a new analyst. He is news.  Instead of pressing him on these conflicts and allegations, he was allowed to rage against Trump, Barr, and Flynn.

Turley gives plenty of examples and you can read them in the article.

But what is the new term I learned?

Echo journalism.

This is when one does not research a story but merely echoes what someone else wrote and presents it as news.

But there's a category Turley mentions that, for those of us who are pissed about fake news, find especially obnoxious.

Let him say it:

It is a new twist on echo journalism.  McCabe the CNN analyst was echoing his own false account and calling it news analysis.

Michael