Sign in to follow this  
BaalChatzaf

Dr. Henry Heimlich has died. Age 96

Recommended Posts

Dr. Henry Heimlich, who invented Heimlich maneuver has died.

About 35 years ago I used this maneuver on a choking person  and it brought up the obstruction.   It was really Heimlich who saved the man, not me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Dr. Henry Heimlich, who invented Heimlich maneuver has died.

About 35 years ago I used this maneuver on a choking person  and it brought up the obstruction.   It was really Heimlich who saved the man, not me. 

You applied what you learned & saved someone...congrats. I never used it but took a Red Cross First Aid Class & learned it.   --J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a sharp blow with the edge of my hand between the shoulder blades to discharge a pill my mother was choking on. It flew right out. I got the idea from a poster in NY State that suggested the blow could be used first. Advocates of the H. Man. were (are?) against the blow because they thought the obstruction could go deeper instead of out. I was afraid the H. Man. too dangerous because of her age and general fragility, especially osteoporosis.

--Brant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

I used a sharp blow with the edge of my hand between the shoulder blades to discharge a pill my mother was choking on. It flew right out. I got the idea from a poster in NY State that suggested the blow could be used first. Advocates of the H. Man. were (are?) against the blow because they thought the obstruction could go deeper instead of out. I was afraid the H. Man. too dangerous because of her age and general fragility, especially osteoporosis.

--Brant

On real old frail folks the H. Mnvr  can crack ribs.  Ditto for  cardio rescue where you have to press down on the sziphoid process between the ribs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

On real old frail folks the H. Mnvr  can crack ribs.  Ditto for  cardio rescue where you have to press down on the sziphoid process between the ribs. 

I learned early modern CPR in 1965 during my training as a Special Forces Aidman. The technique has evolved but not radically except in most cases it's appropriate to only use chest compressions because if the blood still circulates it retains enough oxygen to prevent brain damage and death. Breathing interfers with those compressions.

--Brant

and sometimes the ribs have to be risked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

I learned early modern CPR in 1965 during my training as a Special Forces Aidman. The technique has evolved but not radically except in most cases it's appropriate to only use chest compressions because if the blood still circulates it retains enough oxygen to prevent brain damage and death. Breathing interfers with those compressions.

--Brant

and sometimes the ribs have to be risked

Yeah.  The new word is compression only  without mouth to mouth  breath induction.  

There are two instances were I would hesitate to do compression:  1.  A frail old person.  Cracked ribs can be fatal  and  2  babies and very young children.  I would rather let a pro try that,  but if I were the only chance a stricken person had to live, I guess I would try it and hope for the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Yeah.  The new word is compression only  without mouth to mouth  breath induction.  

There are two instances were I would hesitate to do compression:  1.  A frail old person.  Cracked ribs can be fatal  and  2  babies and very young children.  I would rather let a pro try that,  but if I were the only chance a stricken person had to live, I guess I would try it and hope for the best. 

Babies, if I remember, get two fingers--fore and middle--for the compressions. Most will likely be drowning victims. I believe all ages now get about 100 compressions a minute, but don't take my word for it.

--Brant

a pro will be there--a few minutes too late

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Babies, if I remember, get two fingers--fore and middle--for the compressions. Most will likely be drowning victims. I believe all ages now get about 100 compressions a minute, but don't take my word for it.

--Brant

a pro will be there--a few minutes too late

If I am the only one around to do the thing, I will do it.   I am very nervous about apply force to Old Folks.   Past a certain point the bones decalcify and get brittle.   I live in a retirement community and I am surrounded by golden oldies so I can see how frail some of my neighbors are.  So far, I am alright.  My bones are good.  But my joints are beginning to wear out.  My knees are talking to me and sometimes they shout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

If I am the only one around to do the thing, I will do it.   I am very nervous about apply force to Old Folks.   Past a certain point the bones decalcify and get brittle.   I live in a retirement community and I am surrounded by golden oldies so I can see how frail some of my neighbors are.  So far, I am alright.  My bones are good.  But my joints are beginning to wear out.  My knees are talking to me and sometimes they shout. 

Your knees might be surgically fixable. But someone your age should have no surgery unless he gets vitamin C in the IV drip. Also take C before and after the operation. The risk is brain degradation. My mother's cognitive ability went down a step after an operation. The surgeon will tell you it's not in the literature. If you can't get the drip take it orally using a time release C.

If I was your age I'd tend to avoid any elective operation.

--Brant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Your knees might be surgically fixable. But someone your age should have no surgery unless he gets vitamin C in the IV drip. Also take C before and after the operation. The risk is brain degradation. My mother's cognitive ability went down a step after an operation. The surgeon will tell you it's not in the literature. If you can't get the drip take it orally using a time release C.

If I was your age I'd tend to avoid any elective operation.

--Brant

The treatment I have used is the injection of a lubricant.  While I still feel my knees  the discomfort is slight.  A one a day pain pill is sufficient.  I  do not want surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. Hospitals have become convention centers for  bacteria  that are not readily treatable by anti-biotics.  The only reason I go into hospitals these days is to visit sick friends and relatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this