K-12 Abolition or alternative for tech age

atlashead

I decided mandatory K-12 is immoral and we will probably never see it abolished in our time.

An alternative would be to make every child have the right to a COMPUTER for homeschooling.  The root of this would have to be that we do away with "childcare laws", that a child can be home alone, and do it.  I would support something that isn't clock-based, but instead achievement-based; that a school day can be completed before each day and with fewer than seven hours, if the child can accomplish it.  That meaning there isn't a teacher watching through a webcam.  How long would it take to make this program exist?

I'd be willing to pay taxes for this, who else would?

2 hours ago, atlashead said:

I decided mandatory K-12 is immoral and we will probably never see it abolished in our time.

An alternative would be to make every child have the right to a COMPUTER for homeschooling.  The root of this would have to be that we do away with "childcare laws", that a child can be home alone, and do it.  I would support something that isn't clock-based, but instead achievement-based; that a school day can be completed before each day and with fewer than seven hours, if the child can accomplish it.  That meaning there isn't a teacher watching through a webcam.  How long would it take to make this program exist?

I'd be willing to pay taxes for this, who else would?

I am not as sanguine about the technology as you are.  I do not object to the principle you put forth,  but I am not as sure about the means of implementing it as you are.

If by "childcare laws" you mean laws that govern the minimum age at which a child must not be left home alone, there are only 5 states which have such laws. 

In your plan, who sets the minimum requirements for the computer that every child must have?  What of children who live in rural areas poorly served by internet providers?  Who is to teach the child to use a computer?  To service and maintain it?  Rhetorical questions.

No, I would not be willing to pay taxes for this, no more than I am willing to pay for public education in its current form.  It is my job to educate my child.  Given the opportunity to voluntarily educate my neighbor's child (metaphorically speaking) I would likely do so.  The means and form of that education should be up to the parent.

Schools are grossly inefficient. For example an instructor lectures a class of about 20 students. Then an hour later he gives exactly the same lecture to another set of about 20 students. Compare this with Carl Sagan who created a video series "Cosmos" which was viewed by 600 million people on television and decades later is now on youtube.

Another example is if you want to learn Javascript (or whatever) you don't need to go to school. You can learn Javascript and a great many other things from w3schools.

6 hours ago, jts said:

Schools are grossly inefficient. For example an instructor lectures a class of about 20 students. Then an hour later he gives exactly the same lecture to another set of about 20 students. Compare this with Carl Sagan who created a video series "Cosmos" which was viewed by 600 million people on television and decades later is now on youtube.

Another example is if you want to learn Javascript (or whatever) you don't need to go to school. You can learn Javascript and a great many other things from w3schools.

And none of the 600 million got to raise their hand and ask Carl a question.  Not one.  600 million got "billyuns and billyuns"  plus this:

The Fonz  jumped  the shark and Carl sang the whale.