R.I.P. Leonard Cohen

BaalChatzaf

Leonard Cohen died on Nov 10.  He was 82.  

He was a poet and and musician and he was a genius.

There will not be another like him any time soon.

אֵל מָלֵא רַחֲמִים שׁוֹכֵן בַּמְּרוֹמִים, הַמְצֵא מְנוּחָה נְכוֹנָה עַל כַּנְפֵי הַשְּׁכִינָה בְּמַעֲלוֹת קְדוֹשִׁים וטְהוֹרִים כְּזוֹהַר הָרָקִיעַ מַזְהִירִים אֶת נִשְׁמַת פלוני בן פלוני שֶׁהָלַךְ לְעוֹלָמוֹ, בַּעֲבוּר שֶׁנָדְבוּ צְדָקָה בְּעַד הַזְכָּרַת נִשְׁמָתוֹ, לָכֵן בַּעַל הָרַחֲמִים יַסְתִּירֵהוּ בְּסֵתֶר כְּנָפָיו לְעוֹלָמִים, וְיִצְרֹר בִּצְרוֹר הַחַיִּים אֶת נִשְׁמָתוֹ, ה' הוּא נַחֲלָתוֹ, וְיָנוּחַ בְּשָׁלוֹם עַל מִשְׁכָּבוֹ, וְנֹאמַר אָמֵן:

God, full of mercy, Who dwells above, give rest on the wings of the Divine Presence, amongst the holy, pure and glorious who shine like the sky, to the soul of  Leonard Cohen, for whom prayer was offered in the memory of his soul. Therefore, the Merciful One will protect his soul forever, and will merge his soul with eternal life. The Everlasting is his heritage, and he shall rest peacefully at his lying place, and let us say: Amen.

At this moment I am feeling very, very mortal. so forgive me if I say no more at this time.

3 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Leonard Cohen died on Nov 10.  He was 82.  

He was a poet and and musician and he was a genius.

There will not be another like him any time soon.

אֵל מָלֵא רַחֲמִים שׁוֹכֵן בַּמְּרוֹמִים, הַמְצֵא מְנוּחָה נְכוֹנָה עַל כַּנְפֵי הַשְּׁכִינָה בְּמַעֲלוֹת קְדוֹשִׁים וטְהוֹרִים כְּזוֹהַר הָרָקִיעַ מַזְהִירִים אֶת נִשְׁמַת פלוני בן פלוני שֶׁהָלַךְ לְעוֹלָמוֹ, בַּעֲבוּר שֶׁנָדְבוּ צְדָקָה בְּעַד הַזְכָּרַת נִשְׁמָתוֹ, לָכֵן בַּעַל הָרַחֲמִים יַסְתִּירֵהוּ בְּסֵתֶר כְּנָפָיו לְעוֹלָמִים, וְיִצְרֹר בִּצְרוֹר הַחַיִּים אֶת נִשְׁמָתוֹ, ה' הוּא נַחֲלָתוֹ, וְיָנוּחַ בְּשָׁלוֹם עַל מִשְׁכָּבוֹ, וְנֹאמַר אָמֵן:

God, full of mercy, Who dwells above, give rest on the wings of the Divine Presence, amongst the holy, pure and glorious who shine like the sky, to the soul of  Leonard Cohen, for whom prayer was offered in the memory of his soul. Therefore, the Merciful One will protect his soul forever, and will merge his soul with eternal life. The Everlasting is his heritage, and he shall rest peacefully at his lying place, and let us say: Amen.

At this moment I am feeling very, very mortal. so forgive me if I say no more at this time.

I prefer the Klingon death yell, a warning to the underworld of the arrival of a Klingon warrior.

3 hours ago, jts said:

I prefer the Klingon death yell, a warning to the underworld of the arrival of a Klingon warrior.

Tremble!  A poet is coming!

Bob,

I feel your pain.

I only recently got into Leonard Cohen because of the mother of my friend Marc. (She's Jewish--I affectionately call her a gypsy. :) )

At first I didn't like him too much. In my youth, I thought he was a bit superficial and more recently as I got familiar so I could talk to Marc's mother about him, he sounded like a Bob Dylan knock-off.

But as I got to know more of his stuff, I realized the Bob Dylan thing was only the hook that got him started on developing his own voice. Then I listened more and I started really loving some of his songs.

Leonard wrote one of my favorite religious songs of all time:

I even have a book about it: The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and the Unlikely Ascent of "Hallelujah" by Alan Light. This is an incredible story of things just falling into a narrative all by themselves.

"Hallelujah" is a great song even for the non-religious. There are so many beautiful renditions out there I don't know which to choose as a companion to Cohen's version (which is flawed because of his age), so I'm not going to post another. 

Besides, his version is poignant on a day where we talk of his passing.

RIP Leonard Cohen.

You shined a broken light on love, but it will keep shining as long as there are people...

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

You shined a broken light on love, but it will keep shining as long as there are people...

Michael

Amen