Conspiracy theories and Conspiracy theorists

Alt-Right Trolls Are Trying To Trick People Into Thinking Trump Dossier Was A 4chan Prank
Trump supporters are spreading misinformation about a dossier that was released by BuzzFeed News Wednesday full of unverified allegations against President-elect Donald Trump.

posted on Jan. 11, 2017, at 7:48 a.m.

Here's a very good analysis on what is now happening from Rush Limbaugh:

Establishment Attempts to Smear Trump with Fake News

Rush discusses it all, CNN and BuzzFeed, 4Chan, Reddit, John McCain, the intelligence community, he even calls up the Dan Rather episode from the Bush time.

The anti-Trump folks have been sitting on this thing for months, but have not been able to verify it. As time is running out, they made their play and got a big-ass cream pie in their faces in return. :) 

They totally embarrassed themselves. And they did it good, too, with the Pissgate stuff. It's going to be a long while before they can make another play and be taken seriously by the public.

I want to quote from Rush's analysis, but there's just too much good stuff to choose from.

So go there and read it.

:)

Michael

EDIT: Add this one, too:

Trump Is Conducting a Class in How to Win

From the Wall Street Journal:

Christopher Steele, Ex-British Intelligence Officer, Said to Have Prepared Dossier on Trump
Former spy is director of London-based Orbis Intelligence Ltd.

By BRADLEY HOPE,  MICHAEL ROTHFELD and  ALAN CULLISON
Jan. 11, 2017 2:22 p.m. ET

A former British intelligence officer now working for a private security-and-investigations firm produced the dossier of unverified allegations about President-elect Donald Trump’s activities and connections in Russia, people familiar with the matter say.

Christopher Steele, a director of London-based Orbis Business Intelligence Ltd., prepared the dossier, the people said. The document alleges that the Kremlin colluded with Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign and claims that Russian officials have compromising evidence of Mr. Trump’s behavior that could be used to blackmail him. Mr. Trump has dismissed the contents of the dossier as false and Russia has denied the claims.

Mr. Steele, 52 years old, is one of two directors of the firm, along with Christopher Burrows, 58.

Mr. Burrows, reached at his home outside London on Wednesday, said he wouldn’t “confirm or deny” that Orbis had produced the report. A neighbor of Mr. Steele’s said Mr. Steele said he would be away for a few days. In previous weeks Mr. Steele has declined repeated requests for interviews through an intermediary, who said the subject was “too hot.”

[...]

The dossier consists of a series of unsigned memos that appear to have been written between June and December 2016. Beyond creating the document, Mr. Steele also came up with a plan to get the information to law-enforcement officials in the U.S. and Europe, including the F.B.I., according to a person familiar with the matter.

Speaking about corporate-intelligence work in general terms, Mr. Burrows said “the objective is to respond to the requirements set out by our clients. We have no political ax to grind.”

He said when clients asked a firm like Orbis to investigate something, you “see what’s out there” first and later “stress test” your findings against other evidence.

No presidential campaigns or super PACs reported payments to Orbis in their required Federal Election Commission filings. But several super PACs over the course of the campaign have reported that they paid limited liability companies, whose ultimate owners may be difficult or impossible to discern.

The dossier’s emergence—it was published online and widely circulated Tuesday—has generated a firestorm less than 10 days before Mr. Trump’s inauguration. U.S. officials have examined the allegations but haven’t confirmed any of them. The Wall Street Journal also hasn’t corroborated any of the allegations in the dossier.

“It’s all fake news,” Mr. Trump said in a news conference Wednesday. “It’s all phony stuff. It didn’t happen.”

The dossier contains lurid and difficult-to-prove allegations. The F.B.I. has found no evidence, for example, supporting the dossier’s claim that an attorney for Mr. Trump traveled to the Czech Republic to meet with Kremlin officials, U.S. officials said. The attorney has also denied the claim.

The author of the report had a good reputation in the intelligence world and was stationed in Russia for years, said John Sipher, who retired in 2014 after 28 years in the CIA’s clandestine service, where he specialized in Russia and counterintelligence. Mr. Sipher is now director of client services at CrossLead Inc., a Washington-based technology company set up by retired U.S. Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal.
Private-intelligence firms like Orbis have a growing presence. Major corporations use them to conduct due diligence on potential business partners in risky areas, but quality control can be loose when it comes to high-level political intrigue, according to executives of private intelligence companies.

When government intelligence agencies produce clandestine political reports, they often include thick sections about sources, possible motivations behind their information and the methods used to approach them. Such background helps decision makers determine how reliable the information is.

Andrew Wordsworth, co-founder of London-based investigations firm Raedas, who often works on Russian issues, said the memos in the Trump dossier were “not convincing at all.”

“It’s just way too good,” he said. “If the head of the CIA were to declare he got information of this quality, you wouldn’t believe it.”

Mr. Wordsworth said it wouldn’t make sense for Russian intelligence officials to be exposing state secrets to a former MI-6 officer, because “Russians believe once you are an agent, you’re an agent forever.”

Wired:

How Spy Agency Vets Read That Bombshell Trump Report: With Caution

Imperfect Intelligence
At the very least, the document is no hoax: According to CNN and the Guardian, senior intelligence officials presented a two-page summary of its contents to both Trump and President Obama. Trump, for his part, denied the report immediately and furiously. “FAKE NEWS – A TOTAL POLITICAL WITCH HUNT!” the President-elect wrote on Twitter, in a rare all-caps missive.

But those who spent their careers in the intelligence world are reading the report with more tempered skepticism, what ex-CIA analyst Patrick Skinner describes as “interested caution.” He says he’s neither dismissing the report nor taking its claims at face value, but like other intelligence agency alums WIRED spoke to, called it “raw intelligence” that would require far more work before it can be considered useful evidence.

[... ]

“My general take is that the intelligence community and law enforcement seem to be taking these claims seriously. That itself is highly significant. But it is not the same as these allegations being verified,” says Hennessey, who is now a fellow at the Brookings Institution. “Even if this was an intelligence community document—which it isn’t—this kind of raw intelligence is still treated with skepticism.”

The intelligence report, in other words, shouldn’t be accepted as fact. But neither should it be dismissed as fiction. As with all raw intelligence, the intelligence community’s task will be separating the two. And with its subject set to control the world’s most powerful office—and the agencies involved—in just over a week, the time left to do so may be quickly running out.

I caught this note about the actual "context" with which the summary/synopsis was made available to 'the briefers.'  From an NBC article (emphasis added):

"Intel and law enforcement officials agree that none of the investigations have found any conclusive or direct link between Trump and the Russian government period," the senior official said.

According to the senior official, the two-page summary about the unsubstantiated material made available to the briefers was to provide context, should they need it, to draw the distinction for Trump between analyzed intelligence and unvetted "disinformation."

The briefers also had available to them unvetted "disinformation" about the Clinton Foundation, although that was not orally shared with Trump.

William,

I kinda like this statement in your quote from the Wall Street Journal--by Hope, Rothfeld and Cullison.

Note that it takes three--yes, three, count 'em--journalists so come up with this pearl of great wisdom.

(Extra note: The words below are not from you, but the three reporters. I'm just too lazy to do a workaround with the OL software right now.)

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

Mr. Trump has dismissed the contents of the dossier as false and Russia has denied the claims.

These journalists knew that Trump was presented with this report as an example of disinformation, as the last quote in your post makes clear. He was not warned that Russia may have something on him. He was warned that this kind of report was crap.

To have Trump DISMISS something false as false makes no journalistic sense. In this context, you dismiss something contrary, not something you agree with. Trump AGREED the dossier was false, he didn't dismiss it as false.

Yet the news is spinning it that way. 

These people have lived up to their necks in so much bullshit for so long, they can't even tell it stinks anymore.

Michael

Oh, the conspiracy theory... the conspiracy theory...

Where are the tin-foil hats for the Trump team?

From the Daily Mail:

Trump conducts his own sting operation to ensnare intelligence briefers – and says he caught them leaking

President-elect Donald Trump, after growing suspicious that intelligence officials were leaking news about their classified briefings with him, says he conducted a sting operation to try to prove top spies were behind the leaks.

Trump revealed the extraordinary scheme to try to entrap the senior spies in a furious press conference where he suggested the intelligence community had been behind salacious and totally unproven allegations against him.

‘I think it’s pretty sad when intelligence reports get leaked out to the press. First of all, it’s illegal. These are classified and certified meetings and reports,’ Trump said during a press conference at Trump Tower – his first since getting elected.

Then he revealed the details of the stealthy sting he says he conducted on the nation’s senior spooks.

‘I’ll tell you what does happen. I have many meetings with intelligence. And every time I meet, people are reading about it,' Trump complained, possibly referencing reports on his classified briefings, which he has chosen not to receive daily.

'Somebody’s leaking them out,’ Trump said, after inveighing against leaks generally.

‘So I said, "Maybe it’s my office. Maybe my office." Because I’ve got a lot of people … Maybe it’s them?’

‘What I did, is I said I won’t tell anyone. I’m going to have a meeting, and I won’t tell anybody about my meeting with intelligence,’ Trump continued.

He even shielded one of his closest aides from word of the meeting. 

‘Nobody knew – not even Rhona, my executive assistant for years. She didn’t know – I didn’t tell her. Nobody knew,’ Trump continued – drawing laughter from collected family members and staff.

Having set the trap, Trump says the word leaked anyway.

‘The meeting was held. They left, and immediately the word got out that I had a meeting. So, I don’t want that. It’s very unfair to the country. It’s very unfair to our country what’s happening,’ he said.

Oops... It looks like that one was real...

btw - This is front-page Drudge Report, also...

And the media was soooooooooo outraged for days that Trump said spooks lie. I guess they forgot that spooks lie for a living, at least the competent ones do.

Guess what?

They lie to us--we the people--too.

Michael

Our less than honest "news"  media  can make even a semantics professional  doubt language.  

Do you know how The Serpent tricked Eve?  He put a "spin" on what God said about eating of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge. 

Our media have modified Josef Goebel's  approach.  Instead of the Big Lie  they  apply the intermediate size lie persistently and without ceasing.  Eventually the moderate lie and the truth begin to look and sound alike.  It is the inability to distinguish between true and false  that makes confusion.

3 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Our media have modified Josef Goebel's  approach.  Instead of the Big Lie  they  apply the intermediate size lie persistently and without ceasing.  Eventually the moderate lie and the truth begin to look and sound alike.  It is the inability to distinguish between true and false  that makes confusion.

Bob,

This is a pretty good description of how a process called "gaslighting" works.

This term comes from a play (and later movie) from the early days of last century when people still used gas for indoor lighting. The plot is about a con man who wants to run his new wife crazy and have her committed so he can freely get his mitts on all her money. So he tries to get her to doubt her own perceptions. He has the gaslights flicker and when she notices, he acts surprised because he says he sees nothing of the sort. (He has others in on it, too.) He has the furniture rearranged when she is out of the room, then claims it was always that way. And so on. And she starts to doubt her own mind.

The payoff for the con man in the story is to get his wife committed. The payoff for culture manipulators is for people to doubt their own judgments and listen to the manipulators as purveyors of the truth instead. Then they get their own agenda across, get laws passed, amass money and power, etc., all without serious opposition from the average person.

Now, get a load of this.

CNN has gone on the attack against Trump claiming he is gaslighting America:

Donald Trump is 'gaslighting' all of us
By Frida Ghitis
January 10, 2017
CNN

Really? After what CNN just did? What a joke!

This lady essentially is saying Trump is doing what CNN does all the time.

There is a young guy on YouTube named Ollie Mathews (video below). I like to watch him sometimes because he's an expert in narcissism. He runs a narcissism-abuse service where he helps people who suffer with narcissists in their lives.

Ollie went ballistic over this CNN article. Despite an inaccuracy he made over the golden showers story (he understood the story as saying Trump paid prostitutes to pee on a bed where Obama would still sleep rather than where he had already slept), Ollie's analysis of what is going on with the media is spot on.

I had never thought of the news media being a vehicle of narcissism, but it sure as hell is. To me, the cultural narcissism it promotes got lost in all the partisan yelling, but now I can see it as clear as day. And gaslighting is one of the main tools it uses.

Thank you, Ollie.

Well, welcome to the world of the Internet. No longer will a small number of broadcast and cable channels be gatekeepers for what goes into the public for discussion. 

Ollie ain't polished and he cusses. But he believes in what he is saying. Passionately. Competently. And just like him, there are oodles of folks out there dissecting what the mainstream is doing.

Has anyone noticed that the credibility of the mainstream news is at an all time low and the public's trust in it keeps getting lower by the day?

Ollie is a good example of why. Multiply him by thousands or tens of thousands or even more--on all sides, too--and you can see what a good example he is.

Centralized cultural gaslighting is going the way of the dodo bird and the ruling class that is used to employing it on the masses is so terrified, it doesn't know what to do. They can't even get their spooks to work effectively anymore.

And I'm loving it.

Michael

Edited by william.scherk
Cued up for the money quotes

As Archie Bunker said, “Personally Edith, I think he only urinates in the terlot, wit da seat up.’

The following reminds me of the recent fake news about President Trump.

Peter

Written on the Snow by Paul Greenberg Posted: Jan 13, 2017 12:01 AM . . . . This much all can be sure of: Our lives are as fleeting as yesterday's snow in a universe which has been evolving and revolving since the Big Bang set everything in motion, and the world hasn't stopped swirling about ever since. For as an eminent geophysicist played by Bette Davis once announced: Buckle your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night. Or words to that effect, for it's hard to remember the exact quote. It might as well have been written on snow. end quote

On 1/12/2017 at 11:57 AM, william.scherk said:

William,

Why did you switch the video? I liked the other one better since the one you replaced it with was merely a rant. Here's the one I liked better:

btw - I don't know what set Seaman off, but he's got a real bug up his rear end about this Pizzagate thing. He's not going to let it go. And now that the FBI is involved for real (if his words are true), this is going to get ugly. The folks who laugh at Seaman might not be laughing for too long.

Also, Seaman made an update about a run-down building that's had recent disquieting construction going on inside (to hear him tell it). It's called the Pegasus Museum and the Ping Pong Pizza guy is involved. 

Down in Brazil, I had a little mutt (Corky) who was part chihuahua, part basset hound and part God knows what else. I once sat in a corner and watched him, over the space of about a couple of hours, destroy a split log from a pile of firewood. I have never seen a dog concentrate like that over such a long period of time. Granted, the quarter-split log was pine, so it was soft wood, but when that little mutt got finished shredding it, there was only kindling left.

He would put both front paws on the log, bite down on the middle, pull hard with his mouth to see what came up, then drop the sliver of wood. Sometimes he would back off and bark at the log a little. Then he would attack again. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. And Corky was damn pleased with himself when he finished, too. :) 

David Seaman reminds me of Corky...

Michael

Alex Jones' Gay Frog Dossier. 

Edited by william.scherk
John McCain is not a lesbian, it turns out.

Here's another conspiracy theory.

The theory is that a group called the DC Anti-Fascist Coalition is going to set off butyric acid stink bombs at the National Press Club during the Deploraball the night before the inauguration. Probably elsewhere, too. Butyric acid smells like human vomit and, according to one of the people filmed, lasts a long time.

Oddly enough, part of the video sting for this conspiracy theory was made at Comet Ping Pong Pizza. Where have I heard about that place before? :evil: 

This is a story that James O'Keefe (Project Veritas) is stringing out in at least another installment. So more is coming.

And, to the chagrin of the conspiracy theory mockers, it looks like law enforcement is already involved...

Michael

William,

I had a feeling you were going to post this, but from a different video. The Young Turks did a report on this, too.

As to the substance? 

That's the way dirty tricks roll. Ask Obama's friend, Creamer. :) 

However...

The Young Turks video left out the run-up, which your folks did not. So it sounded a lot worse the way the YT did it. In other words, did I just hear what I just heard?

Basically, I just heard the following (paraphrased):

COUNTERSTING: So you got money and you want disruptions, right?

MAASS: Ummm hmmm...

COUNTERSTING: And you know we can do this and that and that other thing (escalating toward violence).

COUNTERSTING: And if we do that, you'll pay us, right?

COUNTERSTING: Gotchaaaaaaaaaa! We don't do violence.

Now they spin it that Veritas was actively procuring violence. Granted, Maass walked right into it and her warning bells should have gone off, but dirty tricks people get nailed at times.

I wonder how these countersting folks are going to say the term "butyric acid" was somehow edited into the mouths of the anti-Trump people O'Keefe stung this last go around, though.

It doesn't look to me like the short takes were edited at all. It looks like those folks actually said these things and how badly they wanted to fuck up the inauguration. And it looks like they were right there in Comet Ping Pong Pizza saying them, too. I hear the pizza's good over there.

:evil:  :)

Michael

1 hour ago, KorbenDallas said:

Because they don't exist?!?

:evil:

Korben,

You don't think Soros funds these things when he's openly said he does?

Really?

Also, the money trail is drop dead easy to follow. 

Here. Let me help you (courtesy of David Horowitz).

George Soros

or here:

Guide to the George Soros Network

or here:

Organizations Funded Directly by George Soros and his Open Society Foundations

I like the banter, but I don't understand your comment. This information is well documented and pretty much public knowledge.

It would be like me claiming Trump never says anything controversial.

Michael

Come to think of it, I like Trump's manner of funding dirty tricks a lot better than what Soros does.

You can call James O'Keefe anything, but a high-end video producer he is not. In fact, he's rag-tag and his political influence (ACORN, Planned Parenthood, the 2016 election videos--especially Creamer & Co., crossing the US-Mexico border while dressed as Bin Laden, New Jersey Teachers' Union, etc.) has been in a HUUUUUUUUUGE disproportion to his sophistication and the money he has received.

On the other hand, Soros keeps pouring money, money, money into countless front groups and has been doing this for decades. When compared to Trump, Soros just doesn't get much bang for his buck.

I hear he funds a mean pizza, though. :evil: 

Michael