Should we do away with Daylight Saving Time?

BaalChatzaf

Have a look at this:  http://qz.com/636313/why-america-will-never-get-rid-of-day-light-saving/

The benefits of DST  are marginal in modern times when most of us do not have to get up a dawn  to milk the cows.....

On 10/8/2016 at 8:35 AM, BaalChatzaf said:

Have a look at this:  http://qz.com/636313/why-america-will-never-get-rid-of-day-light-saving/

The benefits of DST  are marginal in modern times when most of us do not have to get up a dawn  to milk the cows.....

Living in Tucson I greatly enjoy not changing my clocks twice a year.

The Navajo Reservation is in both AZ and NM. To keep the same time they opted for DST. Or maybe the Feds opted for them.

--Brant

• 3 years later...
On 10/15/2016 at 5:49 PM, Brant Gaede said:

Living in Tucson I greatly enjoy not changing my clocks twice a year.

The Navajo Reservation is in both AZ and NM. To keep the same time they opted for DST. Or maybe the Feds opted for them.

--Brant

President Trump is for making daylight savings time permanent. I don’t know. Maybe we can just have the “fall back an hour” in November and skip the “spring forward?” joke. Daylight Saving Time begins on Sunday, March 8, 2020 and ends on Sunday, November 1, 2020. Peter

From Reader’s Digest. When did Daylight Saving Time start? Tales of a New Zealand entomologist in the late 19th century, and even a Ben Franklin quip about reducing candle wax use over a hundred years earlier, are often credited with the birth of Daylight Saving Time, but Germany and Austria were the two countries that ushered in Daylight Saving Time back in 1916 "during World War I to decrease energy used for lights and help conserve energy supplies to help the war effort," per CBS News. DST began in the United States in 1918, one of the facts you probably never knew about Daylight Saving Time . . . . Can states opt out of Daylight Saving Time?

Some states already do not observe the annual change in time, but Hawaii and most of Arizona, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam are the exceptions to the rule. That doesn't mean however that states do not want to stop resetting their clocks twice a year, but changing time doesn't come easy. While "states can choose to exempt themselves from daylight saving time, nothing in federal law allows them to exempt themselves from standard time," according to CBS News. The hurdle states need to leap over to either opt out of Daylight Savings Time or make DST permanent is the Uniform Time Act. These are the states that don't observe DST.

What is the Uniform Time Act? Enacted in 1966, the Uniform Time Act established a system of uniform Daylight Saving Time throughout the United States and its territories. Additionally, the Act allows for either Congress or the Secretary of Transportation to change a time-zone boundary (time zones were created with the 1918 Standard Time Act.) . . . . President Donald Trump tweeted, "Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!" although, for now at least, you should still expect to give back that hour at 2 a.m. ET on November 3, 2019.

• 2 years later...

Senator Patty Murray from Washington State:

I want this weekend to be the last time we change our clocks—and I have a bill to make #DaylightSavingTime permanent that I’m determined to get done. Let’s finally end this ridiculous and antiquated tradition. End quote

Daylight savings time is for the birds. At least I didn’t need to get up an hour early, but still I tossed and turned and got up at my usual “real world rotation time.” I think it should be put up to a vote.

No Daylight Savings time? I had to look it up, but hey, I get it. We would stay in the time we are in now. If it is midnight now, it will be midnight as this “time” throughout the year. Thank you, Marco!

From FOX. The bipartisan "Sunshine Protection Act of 2021" was introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., and cosponsored by a bipartisan group of senators, including James Lankford, R-Okla.; Roy Blunt, R-Mo.; Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I.; Ron Wyden, D-Ore.; Cindy Hyde-Smith, R-Miss.; Rick Scott, R-Fla.; and Ed Markey, D-Mass. The Senate passed a bill by unanimous consent Tuesday that would make Daylight Saving Time (DST) permanent.

From MSN. What if we could stay in daylight saving time forever? That means we could perpetually live in “spring forward” mode with later sunsets and more time to exercise or enjoy time outside in the late afternoon. No need to go back to standard time in the fall, as we did Sunday. No more losing an hour of sleep in the spring.