A Little Something Different in Dance

A friend posted this on Facebook and I loved it.

For those who like Rand's aesthetic arguments, do you remember when she said the defining characteristic of dance was weightlessness or defying gravity or something like that? And this was the reason she loved ballet and tap-dancing so much?

Well, look what this dancer does with a gigantic hoop. She seems to reflect Rand's prescription perfectly. I think it's just gorgeous.

I don't know who the dancer is yet, nor even the name of the song, who the singer is, etc. And, incidentally, the song isn't the greatest (to be polite), nor is her dance integrated to it well. But as general moods complementing each other (the music and the dance) in a co-relational, not integrative way, they work wonderfully.

On a metaphorical level, if the hoop is seen as an image from the song lyrics, as her "shape-shifting love," we can see how it informs her movements and how she uses the hoop movements (her "shape-shifting love") to make beautiful moments in her life, going in and out of love and all around.

It's rare for me to gush about something new, but this one got to me.

For those who like it, you're welcome. For those who don't, you can go fu... er... 

:evil: 

(There goes my shape-shifting love. :) )

Michael

23 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

A friend posted this on Facebook and I loved it.

For those who like Rand's aesthetic arguments, do you remember when she said the defining characteristic of dance was weightlessness or defying gravity or something like that? And this was the reason she loved ballet and tap-dancing so much?

Well, look what this dancer does with a gigantic hoop. She seems to reflect Rand's prescription perfectly. I think it's just gorgeous.

I don't know who the dancer is yet, nor even the name of the song, who the singer is, etc. And, incidentally, the song isn't the greatest (to be polite), nor is her dance integrated to it well. But as general moods complementing each other (the music and the dance) in a co-relational, not integrative way, they work wonderfully.

On a metaphorical level, if the hoop is seen as an image from the song lyrics, as her "shape-shifting love," we can see how it informs her movements and how she uses the hoop movements (her "shape-shifting love") to make beautiful moments in her life, going in and out of love and all around.

It's rare for me to gush about something new, but this one got to me.

For those who like it, you're welcome. For those who don't, you can go fu... er... 

:evil: 

(There goes my shape-shifting love. :) )

Michael

I will bet she rehearsed a lot...

I found a little info.

The beautiful dancer is Angelica Bongiovonni and the hoop is called a Cyr Wheel.

The song is "Something Chimes In Me" by Stéfan Boucher. It was released on an album by Cirque Éloize called Cirkopolis. The title mentions "Magafono" in parentheses, so that might be the singer. I believe the pianist is Martin Lisotte.

I should provide some links, but I'm still a bit confused from all the incomplete information out there.

Michael