Sam Vaknin on Trump

jts

8 hours ago, jts said:

This is the same shit that was pulled on Barry Goldwater back in 1963.  

Did this pundit ever do a  physical scan of Donald Trump's  neurological system?  No?  Then he reports no facts about the state of Trump's brain which is the physical manifestation of Trump's "mind".   All he has done is expressed an opinion about Trump's utterances and Trump's  public  behavior.  I find this nonsense underwhelming?

I have already seen several things by Sam Vaknin, including a documentary on him where he ran the filmmaker crazy with his control-and-attention-seeking-games. I would not call his snarky comments a good source for anything, including narcissism. When I see something by him, I know it's time to double-check facts.

But if one is into the opinions of people who have experience with narcissism, we can either believe an attention-seeking narcissist trying to get back into the limelight (Vadkin), or the son (and survivor) of narcissists who has a YouTube channel devoted to helping survivors of narcissistic abuse (Mathews).

It's a matter of puffed-up credibility with a neurotic agenda over actual credibility.

On 7/23/2016 at 1:21 AM, KorbenDallas said:

On 7/23/2016 at 9:59 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Korben,

That's a very good video on confusing narcissism with confidence. There's nothing like an opinion by an expert in narcissism and a story of what he personally saw with Trump behind the scenes. I don't know if Ollie Mathews is an academic or just a person who devotes a lot of time and effort and thought to this theme. Here is his description on his YouTube channel:

"This is a Help Channel for abuse survivors of Narcissistic/Borderline/Histrionic Personality Disorder. I am the adult son of TWO Narcissistic Parents. One with NPD, one with BPD."

I loved the video.

Michael

20 hours ago, jts said:

I stopped at 2m 30s.  At 2m 08s, "Trump's grasp of nuanced reality is already very real, but it is likely to deteriorate further to the point of paranoid psychosis."---there is no way to know that.  Psychologists aren't clairvoyants.  Also, this guy is working with second hand knowledge, in the video MSK quoted it was first hand knowledge.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:35 AM, BaalChatzaf said:

This is the same shit that was pulled on Barry Goldwater back in 1963.  

APA issued a warning a few days ago to psychologists/psychiatrists:

We live in an age where information on a given individual is easier to access and more abundant than ever before, particularly if that person happens to be a public figure. With that in mind, I can understand the desire to get inside the mind of a Presidential candidate. I can also understand how a patient might feel if they saw their doctor offering an uninformed medical opinion on someone they have never examined. A patient who sees that might lose confidence in their doctor, and would likely feel stigmatized by language painting a candidate with a mental disorder (real or perceived) as “unfit” or “unworthy” to assume the Presidency.

Simply put, breaking the Goldwater Rule is irresponsible, potentially stigmatizing, and definitely unethical.

The Goldwater Rule is published as an annotation in the Principles of Medical Ethics with Annotations Especially Applicable to Psychiatry. I encourage you all to read the full text of the rule below, and keep it in mind during this election cycle, and other events of similarly intense public interest.

The “Goldwater Rule:”  On occasion psychiatrists are asked for an opinion about an individual who is in the light of public attention or who has disclosed information about himself/herself through public media. In such circumstances, a psychiatrist may share with the public his or her expertise about psychiatric issues in general. However, it is unethical for a psychiatrist to offer a professional opinion unless he or she has conducted an examination and has been granted proper authorization for such a statement.”

Principles of Medical Ethics with Annotations Especially Applicable to Psychiatry