Rigging the 2016 Presidential Election

william.scherk

2 hours ago, Jules Troy said:

Ok I admit that was mean, I’m sorry man.

Edit:  Very plausible article.(good read!)

I see over at Bikkyboy’s safe space, Jules, that you have concerns about being called a cunt.

But why?

Above, you seem to have learned everything you’ll need to know to avoid it.

Anyone can avoid being called that, so where’s the problem?

Personally I think speech codes only serve the little cunts that I describe in my bullying analysis. It empowers them to continue their subtle bullying putdown campaigns and conversation killing superiority dances and all their other cuntisms.

4 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

I see over at Bikkyboy’s safe space, Jules, that you have concerns about being called a cunt.

But why?

Above, you seem to have learned everything you’ll need to know to avoid it.

Anyone can avoid being called that, so where’s the problem?

Personally I think speech codes only serve the little cunts that I describe in my bullying analysis. It empowers them to continue their subtle bullying putdown campaigns and conversation killing superiority dances and all their other cuntisms.

Hey I don’t mind, I am what I eat right?

5 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Have you raised children, Jon?

I am seriously tired of you.

Just so we’re clear, what I am offering is that we both behave as though we don’t know anyone named Jon or William. We don’t emote to the other’s posts because that would indicate knowledge of the other’s existence. We don’t quote the other or even mention the other at OL.

Or, all bets are off.

Show your decision by breaking a condition, or don’t.

I may not be able to post for a few days, anyway, but,

Starting now, I am following the conditions.

What we know about the alleged election fraud plot in North Carolina, by Dylan Scott:

The Ninth District race between Mark Harris and Dan McCready is still stalled over ballot tampering allegations.

In North Carolina, allegations suggesting ballot tampering have led the state elections board to delay certifying the results of one House election. State officials are now issuing subpoenas and gathering evidence for a public hearing to be held later this month. It’s safe to say something is amiss.

But what exactly happened in North Carolina’s Ninth Congressional District hasn’t fully been revealed. Instead, we have an incomplete tapestry of sworn affidavits and press reports that suggest, but don’t definitively prove, a coordinated effort to influence one of 2018’s closest House elections.

Republican Mark Harris beat Democrat Dan McCready by less than 1,000 votes on Election Day. But those results are tainted by explosive allegations involving a local political operative who was working for the Harris campaign and a scheme to collect and possibly tamper with absentee ballots.

There is an obvious irony in a Republican campaign being tarnished by allegations of election fraud after the GOP spent last month peddling unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud in Florida and Arizona. But it’s important to remember there is still a lot we don’t know yet about the situation in North Carolina. The authorities haven’t officially accused anybody of any specific wrongdoing yet.

[...]

It’s important to remember two things about absentee ballots in North Carolina: Anybody can request one, and, at the end of every day before the election, state officials publish a file of which voters requested an absentee ballot by mail and whether they have returned it to be counted.

A campaign could wake up every morning and check that file to know how many registered Republican, Democratic, and unaffiliated voters had requested and returned a mail-in ballot.

“From a mechanics point of view, this is a gold mine of information for candidates and their campaign,” Michael Bitzer, who follows North Carolina politics at Catawba College, told me.

With that in mind, here is what we know so far about the alleged ballot tampering scheme in the North Carolina Ninth Congressional District:

• Two counties in the district, Bladen and Robeson, had an unusually high number of absentee ballots that were requested but not returned for the 2018 election.
  • Several voters in those counties said in sworn affidavits that an unidentified woman came to their house and collected their absentee ballots. One voter said the woman promised to finish filling out the incomplete ballot for them. Another voter said the ballot was not signed or sealed when the woman took it.
  • In an interview with WSOC, the voter who said she’d selected her choices for only two offices on the ballot before handing it away identified Lisa Britt as the woman who collected her mail-in ballot.
  • Britt is the stepdaughter of Leslie McCrae Dowless Jr., a political contractor in the area, BuzzFeed News reported.
  • Dowless was paid by the Harris campaign and was doing absentee work specifically, according to the Charlotte Observer and other affidavits sent to the state elections board. He was previously caught up in allegations regarding absentee ballots in 2016. The Harris campaign still owes $34,000 for absentee ballot work it hired outside contractors for, the New York Times reported.
  • Britt and another woman related to Dowless, Jessica Dowless, told BuzzFeed News they were working for Dowless at an office during the campaign. They described counting the number of Democrats and Republicans who had voted. Absentee ballots were collected and brought to the offices. Dowless was paying his workers cash, even buying one person a car, and some of the staff were using drugs while on the job, per BuzzFeed News’s reporting.
  • Britt and Jessica Dowless were two people who witnessed an unusually high number of absentee ballots that were submitted in Bladen County, according to Judd Legum at Popular Information. Jessica said she was asked to witness ballots that had been brought back to Dowless’s offices.

That is a lot of smoke, and you can see the contours of the scheme: People working to support the Republican campaign were collecting absentee ballots en masse and serving as witnesses for them.

But we don’t know a few critical pieces of information:

[...]

"Ballot tampering" is a useful term.

Edited by william.scherk
Added note on 'ballot tampering'

On December 5, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Jon Letendre said:

I see, Billyboy, that you closed your Q poll and discussion at your safe space.

I'm glad I didn’t post there and I understand why Ellen (and probably others besides us) choose not to post at your blog.

People might have more to say, but you’ve muzzled them because you didn’t like how your shitty blog post was going.

Any time you want to ask a question or get a clarification or have a discussion about the Q phenomenon, Billyboy, just let me know. I’d be delighted to find out you are ready for an adult discussion and finished with the constant stupid sass and snark.

William copied the above post to his blog entry "In the matter of Q" - link.

He included comment about an altercation between him and me which occurred a number of years ago.

I made a bad interpersonal error of judgement when [Ellen and I] were discussing Stephen Hawking, coming close to one-half a Mamishian in tone and accusatory insinuations. I regretted it, apologized for it, and accept that she will not likely ever enter into discussion with me on any substantive issue going forward. It's what happens when one gets carried along by Assholism and does not foresee the damage one can do to human relationships

My not engaging in substantive discussion with William hasn't a thing to do with that years-ago incident.  Instead, it's because I haven't the time for or interest in attempting to dialogue with him.

Second, his mea culpa concerns what he said.  I don't care about, and I've forgotten the details of what he said.  Something about my being narrow-spirited.  Or something similar.

What I care about - and will never fully trust him again because of - is what he did.

He sent me a PM.  (He was heavily into PMing.  I don't know if he still is.)  Then he quoted in a public post from my reply.  Then he refused to give me permission to quote what he'd said that I was replying to.  That pissed me off - and left a residue of caution.  Justified caution, looks like, considering that he's told his remembrance of our brouhaha in a post on his blog, where I've said I don't post, instead of on the main board, where I do post.

Ellen

2 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

He sent me a PM.  (He was heavily into PMing.  I don't know if he still is.)  Then he quoted in a public post from my reply.  Then he refused to give me permission to quote what he'd said that I was replying to.  That pissed me off - and left a residue of caution.  Justified caution, looks like, considering that he's told his remembrance of our brouhaha in a post on his blog, where I've said I don't post, instead of on the main board, where I do post.

When was this, what year? I'd like to dig it up and take the heat for being an asshole. 

[Added: ]

On 10/8/2010 at 4:34 PM, william.scherk said:
On 10/8/2010 at 1:51 PM, Ellen Stuttle said:
  On 10/7/2010 at 4:27 PM, william.scherk said:

Now, I should note for interested readers that you almost sort of answered a similar question backchannel, in that you referred to some gossip without further elaboration. [....]

That seriously misrepresents what was said backchannel.

Do I have your permission to post your part of the exchange?

No, Ellen, you don't. I don't mean to be a jerk, I just don't get it -- your contention that we should hesitate before accepting the idea that Hawking co-authored The Grand Design with Leonard Mlodinow.

Here is what I wrote on that point backchannel. . .

The advanced epistemological stuff makes my eyes glaze (e.g., anything like 'how do we know we know what we think we know he knows he knows'), and I don't think that was what you are getting at. For me, it's a point of curiosity -- IF you think he doesn't have control over what goes out in his name, IF . . . I simply wonder how you came to suspect he doesn't.

Now you have permission to let us know, should you choose to do so, how you got to this bizarre place . . . the answer you gave backstage was pretty feeble.

I said no. Ellen was mostly-right (except for the "he quoted" bit), and I was entirely wrong to point to and describe/paraphrase something off-stage that was not made examinable. It's an asshole move.

In the interest of comity,  I won't re-litigate any of the discussion in re the Mlodinow-Hawking book. That dispute in the thread above was re-assembled on request and moved here:

I rescind my 'No,' but I doubt anyone would care to see our private correspondence, either from OL 'backstage' or via email exchanges (in any case, the forum's mailbox system does not allow for searches beyond a one year limit). My appreciation of Ellen is unchanged, despite our disputes. How to disagree without being an jerk/asshole was not as important to me then as it is now.

Edited by william.scherk
Forked up the asshole move.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:10 AM, Jon Letendre said:

I am seriously tired of you.

Just so we’re clear, what I am offering is that we both behave as though we don’t know anyone named Jon or William. We don’t emote to the other’s posts because that would indicate knowledge of the other’s existence. We don’t quote the other or even mention the other at OL.

Or, all bets are off.

Show your decision by breaking a condition, or don’t.

I may not be able to post for a few days, anyway, but,

Starting now, I am following the conditions.

Anyone who dislikes the way  OL’s leading cunt and I interact should consider encouraging that cunt to reconsider my offer, while it is still being offered.

Just now, Jon Letendre said:

When are you going to tell us for real why you were bullied as a child?

I already did.  When are you going to tell us your childhood adventures in the toolshed with your many abusers.  Or how about the many years of therapy you went through?  Or or or.. how much ammo you have stored up just waiting for the next Democrat convention? 😈

4 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Poor?

Oh, come on, Jules.

No one gets bullied just for being poor. You were a total cunt then, just like now, is my guess.

What did they call you? What names? That should help zero in on it. What names did they call you?

Ohh I dunno?  What names did Father McJonrape call you as you sucked his dick in his special room?  

I think it’s right there in the “Interests” of your bio:

”Attempting to not piss everyone off (mostly failing at that.”

As a kid, I saw a lot of you shitty little low-lifes get smacked. Low IQ twats who couldn’t keep their mouths shut and whined about being bullied when they finally got savaged.

”Poor” my ass, twat.

• 2 months later...

Who knows what took so long with the formal investigation of the alleged "Ballot-Tampering" case in North Carolina. 

On 12/5/2018 at 9:59 AM, william.scherk said:

The latest news is from a hearing today ...

Bladen County operative ‘told us what we were to say’ at hearing, worker testifies.
BY ELY PORTILLO AND WILL DORAN FEBRUARY 18, 2019 06:00 AM, UPDATED 10 MINUTES AGO

[...]

Under questioning by McCready’s attorneys, Lisa Britt said she couldn’t say for sure that no ballots were destroyed by McCrae Dowless.

The sometimes meandering cross-examination of Britt — the first witness of about 80 in the case — by Marc Elias lasted more than an hour, at times growing combative. Elias pressed Britt for more specifics on the vote-collecting scheme, but she disputed several affidavits from voters, including one from a voter that said she handed over an unsealed, unsigned ballot to Britt.

Elias asked if Britt knew for sure that Dowless turned in all the ballots he collected, and she said no. She didn’t personally see him during the week.

“He could have taken them and thrown them out?” Elias said.

“Yeah, I guess he could have,” Britt said.

Pressed on why she trusted Dowless even when there were indications his tactics were questionable, Britt said she trusted him as a father.

“There’s a lot of things that you would kind of place trust in from someone that’s your father figure,” Britt said. “I didn’t think my father would send me to do something illegal.”

[...]

See also the Twitter thread by Brian Murphy (@MurphinDC).

Eg, 

And it's a wrap.  There will be a special election in North Carolina's Ninth Congressional District. A four-day hearing resulted in a unanimous agreement. Ballot tampering.

After months of insisting he knew of no illegal activity being done on behalf of his campaign, Republican Mark Harris, who leads the race for North Carolina's 9th Congressional District, called Thursday for the State Board of Elections to hold a new election.

The bipartisan state board voted unanimously shortly after his statement to redo the only congressional race left from the 2018 midterms that remains undecided.

"Through the testimony I've listened to over the past three days I believe a new election should be called. It's become clear to me that the public's confidence in the 9th District seat general election has been undermined to an extent that a new election is warranted," said Harris.

It was a dramatic and humbling reversal for Harris, a pastor who until now had insisted that the elections board should certify his 905 vote lead in the unofficial tally so that he could take a seat in Congress.

Four days of hearings had left that position increasingly untenable as witnesses detailed how an operative hired by Harris illegally handled absentee ballots, a felony in North Carolina. One witness said she filled in unmarked sections of ballots. Harris' own son testified on Wednesday that he had warned his father that the operative's tactics were likely illegal.

An email first released to the public on Thursday shows that Harris requested to the operative, McRae Dowless, in March 2017 after losing a primary election in which one of his opponents had hired Dowless.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:52 PM, Jon Letendre said:
Q!!mG7VJxZNCI21 Feb 2019 - 3:34:56 PM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-north-carolina/north-carolina-elections-board-orders-new-u-s-house-election-idUSKCN1QA1QG📁
Welcome to the Democrat Party.
THEY WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO REGAIN POWER.
Time to adopt VOTER ID LAW?
Q

Will we need a new thread called "Rigging the 2020 Election?" Somehow I don't think so. We have become smarter and more savvy. I think at least half of all Americans are onto the liars in public life. They are suspicious of all assertions that benefit or hurt a political party even if the lie helps the side we are on.  

I think the 6:30 news is a little better as far as objectivity goes but I am still in awe of Fox News. If they could use the style of CBS at 6:30 Fox would rule. I don't know what the viewer numbers are but I believe Fox could dominate with a better format, instead of doing analysis, at 6:30. 

22 minutes ago, Peter said:

Will we need a new thread called "Rigging the 2020 Election?" Somehow I don't think so. We have become smarter and more savvy. I think at least half of all Americans are onto the liars in public life. They are suspicious of all assertions that benefit or hurt a political party even if the lie helps the side we are on.  

I think the 6:30 news is a little better as far as objectivity goes but I am still in awe of Fox News. If they could use the style of CBS at 6:30 Fox would rule. I don't know what the viewer numbers are but I believe Fox could dominate with a better format, instead of doing analysis, at 6:30. 

Don't watch any tv news. All of it is highly sophisticated mind control operated by the enemy. Turn them off.

2 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Don't watch any tv news. All of it is highly sophisticated mind control operated by the enemy. Turn them off.

Fox's Bret Baer is practicing mind control that is so sophisticated that I cannot see it? Hogwash, Jon. I do agree with your assessment of ABC, CBS, NBC and their news affiliates. I think that around 1970 I was able to see the propaganda in the news including the news in old magazines like Time and to a lesser extent Newsweek. I like it when Rush Limbaugh plays sound cuts from the day before and they all mimic each other. The mimicking is so alike it is very probable they go to one site or source to gather their talking points . . . and then they stick to "the party line" just like the hacks in communist countries. They have no shame, just like Jussie Smallett. It is riveting when a reporter like those on 30 Minutes nails a lying bastard to the barn door. When they realize they have been exposed some of them will take the lie to their graves, while others get very angry, and are a second away from assault and battery.        

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

Fox's Bret Baer is practicing mind control that is so sophisticated that I cannot see it? Hogwash, Jon. I do agree with your assessment of ABC, CBS, NBC and their news affiliates. I think that around 1970 I was able to see the propaganda in the news including the news in old magazines like Time and to a lesser extent Newsweek. I like it when Rush Limbaugh plays sound cuts from the day before and they all mimic each other. The mimicking is so alike it is very probable they go to one site or source to gather their talking points . . . and then they stick to "the party line" just like the hacks in communist countries. They have no shame, just like Jussie Smallett. It is riveting when a reporter like those on 30 Minutes nails a lying bastard to the barn door. When they realize they have been exposed some of them will take the lie to their graves, while others get very angry, and are a second away from assault and battery.        

It wouldn't get past you, huh? ok.

Anyway, Disney would never brainwash you. 

Don't give it another thought.

44 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

It wouldn't get past you, huh? ok.

Anyway, Disney would never brainwash you. 

Don't give it another thought.

What were the hidden messages in Bambi and Pinnocchio, Jon? Bambi does start out with a horrible scene where hunters kill everything alive in the forest but that message is not hidden. Yesterday I watched the trailer for Bambi with my granddaughter so it is still vivid to me.  Of course there are always "messages" and slants in a lot of news and entertainment, but to adopt a mentality that sees conspiracies everywhere is a waste of time and not sensible. It is not objective. If you were an investigative reporter you would rarely sell a story to a strictly truth searching editor.

Again, it is fun in fiction like in the movie Contact. "Sparks" can't solve the meaning of the alien message but the billionaire eccentric does.