Elon Musk's career

5 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Jon,

This whole Musk thing comes from a pearl of wisdom imparted to us by Bob in another thread. In teaching us ignorant fools the folly of valuing Trump, even a smidgen, since in his pondered ponderances, Trump is evil (a lesser evil maybe, but still evil), and Bob's stated view is that he is too far above us evil-choosers to be anything but good, he graced us with the following (from here):

I found the prospect of a Musk presidency without merit due to his exaggerated thirst for government funding and then calling it capitalism, so Bob started this thread to impart more wisdom to us.

Except somewhere around here he just said he is not good at wisdom.

Man, that gets confusing.

:) 

Michael

50 years ago I was not that wise.  Now I know the score.

11 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

He produces stuff.  Not like the bankers,  stock brokers, bond hawkers and financial types who manipulate symbols.  Musk has  hands on contact with TECHNOLOGY.   

You must mean those guys who have enabled and sustained Tesla Motors with gobs of money since its inception (link), and a Tesla Motors which has yet to show a positive annual net income (link).  :D 

15 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Musk is a technologist and Rand was not.  There is no comparison possible.  Musk knows mathematics thoroughly and Rand did not.  No comparison.  

Robert Heinlein once wrote those who cannot cope with mathematics are not fully human.  Musk can and does.  Rand --- ??????

Is it possible Heinlein could be wrong? Rand studied algebra in her old age. What does "cope with mathematics" mean? 1 + 1 = 2? Did you know Einstein had some difficulty with mathematics apropos his famous work in Relativity? He had to bring in a heavy hitter. Isn't that also coping with mathematics?

I do very well with arithmetical computations and could easily bring myself up to full speed with some review. Higher math is merely replacing numbers with symbols for a computational journey ending in numbers--or am I wrong? A famous physicist and mathematical genius said learning math, doing math, was just a matter of finding the value of "x". He self-taught himself all the math you could be taught in high school in one year as a young teenager.

If "no comparison is possible" stop comparing. That's all you've been doing here on OL, and on this particular matter. It's your posting leitmotif. There's no point in explaining why you're wrong. You're the only one here who doesn't know it which means you're unteachable about it.

Robert Stadler was a genius based on Rand's interview of J. Robert Oppenheimer researching a screenplay on the development of the atomic bomb, just as "Project X" in Atlas Shrugged was a fictional stand in for la bomba.

--Brant

if you can't cope with philosophy, abstract and applied, general and political, you're not fully human (?????)

oh, yeah, again, what was your opinion of Ayn Rand per se aside from her not being "fully human"?

50 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Is it possible Heinlein could be wrong? Rand studied algebra in her old age. What does "cope with mathematics" mean? 1 + 1 = 2? Did you know Einstein had some difficulty with mathematics apropos his famous work in Relativity? He had to bring in a heavy hitter. Isn't that also coping with mathematics?

I do very well with arithmetical computations and could easily bring myself up to full speed with some review. Higher math is merely replacing numbers with symbols for a computational journey ending in numbers--or am I wrong? A famous physicist and mathematical genius said learning math, doing math, was just a matter of finding the value of "x". He self-taught himself all the math you could be taught in high school in one year as a young teenager.

If "no comparison is possible" stop comparing. That's all you've been doing here on OL, and on this particular matter. It's your posting leitmotif. There's no point in explaining why you're wrong. You're the only one here who doesn't know it which means you're unteachable about it.

Robert Stadler was a genius based on Rand's interview of Robert Oppenheimer researching a screenplay on the development of the atomic bomb, just as "Project X" in Atlas Shrugged was a fictional stand in for la bomba

--Brant

if you can't cope with philosophy, abstract and applied, general and political, you're not fully human (?????)

oh, yeah, again, what was your opinion of Ayn Rand per se aside from her not being "fully human"?

I never said that....

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bob,

The words of wisdom I gleaned from your posts: Builders are evil if they brag since bragging nullifies achievement, but moochers are good if they tinker since tinkering nullifies mooching.

:evil:  :)

Michael

In fairness to Bob, I doubt he would care as much that Trump is a boor were Trump not running for President.

In unfairness to Bob, I am still waiting to hear how he knows he's smarter than 95% of the rest of us.  :evil:

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bob,

The words of wisdom I gleaned from your posts: Builders are evil if they brag since bragging nullifies achievement, but moochers are good if they tinker since tinkering nullifies mooching.

:evil:  :)

Michael

That is incoherent.  And Musk is no moocher.  He produces....

So does Trump.  Another hotel.  Another golf course.  Mankind has taken another leap forward. 

• 8 months later...

This could have gone elsewhere tagged by AI or Robotics or Musk, but it is a sweet tech story wherever placed. Analogy: plant conditions for language and watch it grow. The first fledgling steps of an infant technology?

Elon Musk’s lab forced bots to create their own language

Mike Wehner  @MikeWehner
March 19th, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Have you ever experienced the dread of overhearing two people, speaking a language you don’t understand, begin laughing wildly? You just have to wonder what it is they’re talking about, and if it’s a joke at your expense. Heck, maybe you even check your teeth to make sure you aren’t walking around with half of your lunchtime ham sandwich stuck to your gums. Now, thanks to Elon Musk’s OpenAI lab, we’re one step closer to experiencing the exact same thing, only with software bots doing the talking.

As Wired reports, researchers at OpenAI have made some huge strides in getting bots to communicate with each other, and without actually telling them how to do so. The group published a research paper earlier this week explaining exactly how they were able to accomplish the complex task, and it’s all based on reinforcement learning.