BaalChatzaf

Allah'hu akbar in Turkey

http://www.boston.com/news/world-news/2016/06/29/suicide-blasts-kill-dozens-istanbul-airport

Once again we see a manifestation of the Religion of Peace. 

What short of genocide  will stop these bastards?????

Baal,

Speaking of Turkey I wonder what you might think of the notion that Erd... might have caused the fake coup attempt in order to grasp even more power for himself. He has used the coup as an excuse to arrest over 1400 judges and many in the military he must deem to be opposed to his policies. 

It is hard to believe that a coup would have been attempted if they didn't have enough support of the coup from the military and enough elites to begin with.

The idea that the coup was a fake is not original with me but I wanted to bring up the subject because I find no one else has mentioned it unless I just don't know where to look.

gg

I read this might be true--that so many would have had to have known about it that it wouldn't have gone forward without the sanction of Turkish Intelligence services. Regardless, a dictatorship by another name is still just that and what goes around comes around.

--Brant

12 minutes ago, galtgulch said:

The idea that the coup was a fake is not original with me but I wanted to bring up the subject because I find no one else has mentioned it

I don't remember where it was, but I saw a retired general on the tube who said that no senior officer would plan a coup for when Erdogan was out of town.  Instead, Erdogan would be at the top of the list to capture and to be made to issue stand down orders and to dishearten any opposition.

Coup or fake coup, it is clear that it is being used as the excuse for a radical transformation of their power structure.  We may soon see another Islamic theocracy in the middle East.

If it was a fake coup then I suspect Obama would by now know that.  Yet, if that is so, he has said nothing that isn't accepting of the current leaders harsh grip on power.  (This is hardly a ringing condemnation of the imprisonment of thousands: "We hope that there won't be some kind of overreaction that might lead to weakening of legitimate opposition - but we certainly understand how scary this must have been.")

In some countries, a military coup is actually an unstated form of maintaining constitutional limits.  I don't know much about Turkey's history, but I've heard that this has been the case in the past.  I know that Thailand has periodic military coups for the purpose of removing elected officials who have gone far beyond constitutional limits.  The military holds power for a year or so and then restores power to the civilians.  Not the best approach if one has the alternative of some kind of checks and balances that doesn't involve putting tanks in the streets.  But better than having all liberties disappear.  I fear that Turkey is rapidly going in the direction of an Islamic Theocracy.  Obama seems to be okay with that, or has some strange reason for not mentioning it.