BREXIT and Trump

BaalChatzaf

Featuring Salena Zito, from the folks at Spiked.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jon Letendre said:

Blanket guess, so we can all stop being surprised: The Fourth Reich, dominated by the Nazi Juncker family, has achieved what Hitler failed to achieve using war — political union with the United Kingdom. See how Britain cannot get out now? Get it? They will not just give it up, They will fight to the bitter end, pulling every lever they can pull. By the end they will be guilty of so much crime that a peaceful resolution will be impossible, with them knowing we will certainly hang them all. Once public sentiment turns strongly enough they can be grabbed by special forces in the night, tried and hanged. They are never going to give up.

Here is the head of the Juncker clan worshipping Greta.

image-1398098-860_poster_16x9-fdkn-13980

• 4 weeks later...

"I Vote 4 Shambles!"

On 9/24/2019 at 10:22 AM, william.scherk said:

As Churchill related to the House of Commons in 1947 ...

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…

The latest twist, from the BBC ... the Commons again rejected Johnson's plans. Although he had successfully negotiated a withdrawal agreement with the EU, and at least on paper devised a novel way to do away with the previously-negotiated 'backstop,' those danged parliamentarians facing an enraged public failed to deliver for him.  The most likely option for the government is ... I have no clue.

Brexit bill 'in limbo' as MPs reject timetable

[...]

Brexit bill's journey so far

Boris Johnson agreed his new plan with EU leaders last week, but has repeatedly pledged to leave the bloc by the end of October, with or without a deal.

The bill that would turn his plan into law - the Withdrawal Agreement Bill - was published on Monday evening, and he urged MPs to back a three-day timetable to push it through the Commons ahead of the Halloween deadline.

The PM told Parliament if it "decides to delay everything until January or possibly longer", he would seek an election - but he did not say what the government would do if the EU offered a shorter extension.

MPs did approve the bill on its first hurdle through the Commons - called the second reading - by 329 votes to 299.

But in a vote straight after, they rejected the so-called programme motion by 322 votes to 308 after a number of MPs criticised the pace of the legislation.

What happens next?

Mr Johnson told the Commons: "I will speak to EU member states about their intentions [but] until they have reached a decision - until we reach a decision, I will say - we will pause this legislation."

In the meantime, however, he said the government would "take the only responsible course and accelerate our preparations for a no deal outcome".

The PM added: "Let me be clear. Our policy remains that we should not delay [and] that we should leave the EU on 31 October."

Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he welcomed the backing of MPs for the deal, adding: "We will now await further developments from London and Brussels about next steps, including [the] timetable for the legislation and the need for an extension."

But Leader of the House Jacob Rees-Mogg said it was now "very hard to see how it is possible" to get a deal through Parliament by the end of the month.

If an election were to be triggered this week, the earliest it could take place would be Thursday 28 November, as the law requires 25 days between an election being called in Parliament and polling day.

But Mr Johnson cannot force an election himself and would need the backing of

The diagram below is from John Worth (@jonworth on Twitter) -- who has been keeping track of Brexit options and outcomes via this giant flow-chart. I've posted the image to Postimage for those readers who might want to download it and examine it at full detail. You can also view it in your browser at full resolution here:  https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHgbquVWwAAjOUE?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Brexit-Flow-Chart.jpg

"It's complicated ..."

Snapshot of portion of visual ...brexitSnapShotJonWorth.png

-- if you use this visual anywhere, please credit to Jon Worth:

brexitWhatsNext.png

Our correspondent Tarl Warwick is spending the winter in a Dutch city, but that doesn't impact his ability to interpret news. In this video he gives his viewpoint on the Brexit process.  

A complex item that Tarl misunderstands and thus garbles a bit concerns the bad guys (in his analysis): the EU has agreed not only a 'flextension' until January 31 2020, but has already accepted the terms negotiated with Boris Johnson's government. 

So, contrary to Tarl's take, the delay in taking formal leave is all about the UK Parliament.  The deal is 'signed' by the EU, but now the PM must get it to be British law, he must guide the complicated deal through the political process at home. 

The latest twist is that the UK will be having a general election on December 12. If, as expected, Johnson returns to the Commons as the party in power, he must navigate political reality. He may be able to count on the support of disaffected Tories who left the Conservative benches or were expelled from the party by the PM.  He may run into headwinds from the disaffected Ulster Unionist party and from the Liberal Democrats and from the Scottish Nationalist party.

"Hard Brexit" seems to be a distant possibility.

Given the present polls (which are always wrong), the Conservatives could well romp to a majority and thus get the EU/UK deal done.  The 'flex' in 'extension' means that the January 31st date may become moot. Once/if a Conservative majority makes the exit agreement UK law, there is no extra time to be run out on the clock. The UK will formally begin the departure once the Queen give royal assent.  If this happens in late December or early January, there will be no wait till the end of January ...

Edited by william.scherk
Minor grammar fixes

Nigel Farage got a scoop -- almost a full half hour of conversation with President Trump. Testing out my ability to tweet the embedded video from LBC. I'll delete the following tweet shortly, since the whole shebang is probably against copyright and the terms of use for Twitter Cards.  Full page link here: https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nigel-farage/donald-trump-interview-in-full/

• 1 month later...

Looks like Brexit is finally going to happen and happen hard.

Boris Johnson is killing it in the election. See the Daily Mail below:

The making of an unlikely political hero: Boris Johnson had more skeletons in his closet than Tutankhamen - but now he's handed the Tories their biggest victory since Margaret Thatcher

(The Daily Mail is having fun with Johnson's steamy sex life in that article as a booby prize for the landslide, but that's the article I chose to illustrate the win. Pointing at steamy sex is all they've got left, poor things. Besides, I like gossip. :) )

As for Corbyn...

Well...

Ouch...

:)

Michael

The British people voted and made themselves clear three years ago. Their own government and the Fourth Reich have resisted the will of the British people for three years. The people have again made themselves clear. Now their new leadership will pursue rapid secession. Any further resistance will make perfectly clear to all that what I call the EU is accurate, fair and correct. And then it gets very interesting indeed, as we have recent historical examples, Dresden, etc., of how the British people will behave once they wake up to their situation. 

You know what's going around the Internet?

Hillary Clinton thinks Boris Johnson is a Russian asset.

And that's not a joke.

When I looked in the search engines, sure enough. There are quite a few links saying that or implying it, including NYT. Many are from last month, but many are recent. I'm too lazy to read them to find a goodie to post, so you will have to do your own digging on this.

But I've seen enough to be able to say:

Muh Russians across the pond. That's got such a je ne sais pas ring to it.

Will it fly?

Go for it, Clinton...

Go for it...

:)

Michael

Britain is now on deadline. The new government will be seated for a  Throne Speech laying out the road ahead. 

With a transition period lasting until the end of 2020, the UK is expected to formally withdraw from the EU on January 31st. The Fourth Reich is unavailable for comment ...

Brussels hatches plot to KEEP the UK under EU control past 2020 with Eurocrats claiming more time is needed to strike a new trade deal

• Boris Johnson has pledged to have an EU trade deal in place by December 2020
  • He has ruled out any further transition period extension past then
  • But EU politicians are considering asking for it to be pushed back themselves
  • They believe that 11 months is not long enough to do a deal

Bets are on that Scotland (which elected an overwhelming majority of Scottish Nationalist Party MPs to Westminster) will petition for another referendum on separation from the Union.  Johnson says NO. 

The U.K. will leave the European Union. Does that mean Scotland will leave the U.K.?

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2019 at 12:26 PM, william.scherk said:

the UK is expected to formally withdraw from the EU on January 31st. The Fourth Reich is unavailable for comment ...

One of the Fourth Reich pigs had some comments, memorialized below:

"If you disobey the rules you get [your mic] cut off.

Could we please remove the flags? Mr Farage, would you remove the flags, please?

Can I please ask for quiet?

I'm really ... Please sit down. Resume your seats.

Put your flags away, you are leaving. And take them with you if you are leaving now.

Goodbye."

Goodbye, indeed.

And congratulations to the British people!

• Like 1

Britain dumped Brexit and we got rid of nafta, almost simultaneously. Coincidence? I am sure the new trade deal with Canada and Mexico will be thoroughly analyzed in the weeks to come.

Our elections are 10 months away and as of now I can't even guess who will get the democrat slot. Could any of them outshine our President on the debate stage? Not either of the two main Republicans in the last, party debate did. And I think Donald outdid Hillary in his showmanship if not factually. But now after years of practice our President is a professional BS . . . er I mean . .  . debate slinger of political hash, mixed throughout with unvarnished truth, hyperbole, served with the style of P.T. Barnum. Great fun.