BaalChatzaf

BREXIT and Trump

Recommended Posts

On 12/19/2018 at 10:22 AM, william.scherk said:

Here is a possible paradox ... in what is called the "Backstop" in EU-UK negotiations. It concerns the changes that must and must not occur at the Ireland/Northern Ireland border.  How can free passage of Irish EU citizens (Irish citizenship may be claimed by any Northern Ireland citizen) to and from the UK be maintained after a Brexit deal? Moreover, how can the border be maintained/done away with if there is a no-deal Brexit?

The United Kingdom is due to depart the European Union on March 29, or I should say scheduled to depart. There may very well be a delay of the date on the calendar of three months. Basically, the Prime Minister's first 'plan' failed to pass the Commons. She is presenting a tweaked 'plan' for a vote presently, and will then offer a 'no whip' vote on a delay measure. In between, she has planned a vote to see if parliamentarians are up to approving a 'no-deal' deal -- ie, crashing out of the EU, proceeding without a map of transition or any formalized divorce agreement.

So, everything is going along so far so good. 

On the other hand, both the Conservatives and Labour have lost handfuls of MPs who renounced their former parties, since the most recent Brexit lurches.

A no-whip vote is when the Prime Minister frees ruling party MPs to vote their individual druthers, without discipline from the top. This means the delay vote is about the only vote that should be assumed to pass the Commons if the tweaked Plan doesn't.

Finally, note that Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has declared the need for a second referendum, which is just historically-precedented enough to allow him to whip his party his party if he can force a motion.

Prime Minister May must be having the time of her life. About the only thing that could top this week would be May calling a snap election.

brexitWTF.png

For more on the finesse/fumble with the Irish border 'backstop' ... ⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜

Edited by william.scherk
Added link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 8:03 PM, william.scherk said:

The United Kingdom is due to depart the European Union on March 29, or I should say scheduled to depart. There may very well be a delay of the date on the calendar of three months. Basically, the Prime Minister's first 'plan' failed to pass the Commons. She is presenting a tweaked 'plan' for a vote presently, and will then offer a 'no whip' vote on a delay measure. In between, she has planned a vote to see if parliamentarians are up to approving a 'no-deal' deal -- ie, crashing out of the EU, proceeding without a map of transition or any formalized divorce agreement.

So, everything is going along so far so good. 

Yes, today is March 12, the day of a Commons vote on the negotiated deal between May and the EU.  Guess what?

brexitShamblesMar12.png

First vote failed. Next step, no-deal Brexit goes to a vote.  What a shambles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

First vote failed. Next step, no-deal Brexit goes to a vote.  What a shambles. 

This is what the next steps are in the Brexit drama ...

_105995691_brexit_flowchart_what_now_11mar_long_v1_640-nc.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of all the money and effort these elites are deploying to get to No Deal.

What a waste.

They don't like it one bit that the people are refusing to be led by them.

But what the hell, it's their money and time. If they push too hard to thwart the vote of the people they thought they were ruling and still want to rule, though, it could get real ugly, especially when they discover how little they actually rule.

They screwed up.

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Think of all the money and effort these elites are deploying to get to No Deal.

What a waste.

They don't like it one bit that the people are refusing to be led by them.

But what the hell, it's their money and time. If they push too hard to thwart the vote of the people they thought they were ruling and still want to rule, though, it could get real ugly, especially when they discover how little they actually rule.

They screwed up.

Michael

The Fourth Reich isn't going to just give up Britain.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Think of all the money and effort these elites are deploying to get to No Deal.

Extraordinary moments in the British House of Commons. They just voted to reject a No-Deal Brexit. Bloomberg and many other outlets are carrying the ongoing drama live ...

LOCK THE DOORS!!!!

Edited by william.scherk
Click the Bloomberg tweet if you want to view the live event ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 12:22 PM, william.scherk said:

Extraordinary moments in the British House of Commons.

Followed by more extraordinary actions in the British House of Commons. The Speaker denied the government a third "meaningful vote" on the Brexit deal negotiated by Theresa May.  The first two votes failed, the second by a large majority.  
 

The result is ... disarray. Brexit: Bercow chucks a hulking great spanner in the works

More reporting on the shambles ... 

Edited by william.scherk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...