The Martian

The Martian   finally made it to cable TV (HBO)  so I saw it for the first time.  The movie is better than the book.

This movie addresses the issue:  Think and live.  Fail to think and die.

It is first rate material for Objectivists.

If Ayn Rand had lived to see this movie she would have loved every second.

3 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

The Martian   finally made it to cable TV (HBO)  so I saw it for the first time.  The movie is better than the book.

Well, that would tie into her 1974 West Point address.

--Brant

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2016 at 0:11 PM, BaalChatzaf said:

I watched the movie and remembered this post.  I didn't read the book, so I can only comment on the movie.  (No spoilers)

It started out with reason and volition, but then it changed to determinism.  Overall though, I did enjoy the movie and there aren't many movies made today that I can say that about.  I think an Objectivist would like the movie, it placed a high value on human life.

6 hours ago, KorbenDallas said:

I watched the movie and remembered this post.  I didn't read the book, so I can only comment on the movie.  (No spoilers)

It started out with reason and volition, but then it changed to determinism.  Overall though, I did enjoy the movie and there aren't many movies made today that I can say that about.  I think an Objectivist would like the movie, it placed a high value on human life.

Not only that.  It glorified thinking one's way out of trouble.  All that stood between Mark Whatney and death was a refusal to deal with his situation.  He was in a no bullshit situation.  He could not wish his way out,  bargain his way out,  pray his way out.  As he said to the class at the end of the movie  --- you can either accept you are going to die or you can solve the problem at hand, then the next problem, then the next problem.  If you do this enough you get to come home.

I loved it!  It was all about Truth and Reality.  No bullshit and no wishful thinking need apply.