Correspondence and Coherence blog

merjet

8 minutes ago, Guyau said:

I'll not post further at this site, and I suggest the same to Merlin.

Stephen,

Merlin can still post. He's just getting a time out on his nonstop flame warring. I'll let anything of substance through. Unfortunately, he offers very little of substance these days for OL readers. Just picking fights with OL members over trivia.

You can post anytime.

Be well.

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Merlin can still post.

Can he? What actual restrictions are being imposed on Merlin?

His 'user page' just says "Restricted." Is he able to attempt to comment, then have that comment go to the moderator? It looks like a complete shut-out.  

He's lucky he didn't call anyone the P word.

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

What actual restrictions are being imposed on Merlin?

William,

I have to see his posts before I allow them to become visible to the public.

If it's trolling, they don't go through. If it's substance, they go through.

I decide.

And he decides if that is acceptable or not. If he posts, good for OL. If he never posts again, that's good for OL.

Michael

19 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
21 hours ago, william.scherk said:
On 12/18/2020 at 7:43 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Merlin can still post.

Can he? What actual restrictions are being imposed on Merlin?

His 'user page' just says "Restricted." Is he able to attempt to comment, then have that comment go to the moderator? It looks like a complete shut-out.  

I have to see his posts before I allow them to become visible to the public.

I got an email from Merlin Jetton. He says that he cannot post, cannot check his messages, cannot do anything. It looks like he is banned/restricted rather that moderated/restricting.

19 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

If it's trolling, they don't go through. If it's substance, they go through.

I decide.

Can you please check the settings again?  I don't want to mediate or get in between you doing what you want, but you might have tripped a setting that you did not intend to set.

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

Can you please check the settings again?

William,

I checked. He can post. It just won't appear until I see it and approve.

As to the messenger, I disabled it for his use.

I'm not a practitioner of sanction of the victim. Guess where I learned that? Hmmmm?...

Given his nonstop habit of petty vindictiveness, I can't imagine why he would use the messages on OL right now except to bitch about me and try to damage the forum. I can't find a single good reason for me to provide the means for that end. Besides, the Internet outside of OL is huge. Nobody is stopping him from using it.

Let the dust settle and we'll talk later.

Michael

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, Peter said:

Thanks William.

You're welcome. I'm not quite sure what you are thanking me for.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:23 AM, Peter said:
On 4/27/2021 at 10:21 AM, william.scherk said:

You're welcome. I'm not quite sure what you are thanking me for.

Mentioning Merlin. 

Merlin gave me access to his OL account. Full report due this weekend, or after 20 kilometres logged on my tracker, whichever comes first.

The key takeaways are that Merlin was truthful in his reporting: the restrictions on his account prevent him from replying to topics and comments, from quoting, from making a new comment/post on a topic he started. 

Merlin is only able to submit two kinds of material to the moderator -- a reply to a Status, which are displayed under the All Activity tab, and an OL Calendar Event.

Capture+_2021-03-10-11-49-57.png

Edited by william.scherk
Removed a knotty "not"

2 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Merlin is only able to submit two kinds of material to the moderator -- a reply to a Status, which are displayed under the All Activity tab, and an OL Calendar Event.

William,

Later I'll sniff around once again in the back office and see if there is something off.

If not, I'll make a ticket.

Michael

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Later I'll sniff around once again in the back office and see if there is something off.

I have it on good authority that Merlin the Magician only practices white magic and not the black arts. 

10 hours ago, Peter said:

I have it on good authority that Merlin the Magician only practices white magic and not the black arts. 

Peter,

And he picks fights nonstop for no reason other than to inject pettiness and bad vibes into a conversation. He's done that nonstop for years. It's called trolling, which is a form of spamming, but without an objective payoff for anyone except the serotonin boost for the troller.

I don't expect him to stop, but I do expect him to tone it down if he ever wants to post here again. I expect him to realize that OL is not his toilet and act accordingly.

(Unlike someone else you might remember who was a prolific crapper and wouldn't even flush. :) )

Michael

I made one change backstage. I had put Merlin in a group called "Restricted." Each group has a gazillion settings and one of those might have interfered with his ability to post. So I put him back in "Members" (but still under the need for approval of posts before they are published).

Hopefully that fixes the not-able-to-post-at-all problem.

Michael

• Thanks 1