Correspondence and Coherence blog

merjet

On 9/5/2016 at 6:52 AM, merjet said:

Space is what keeps everything happening in the same place

Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Ba’al wrote, “Space is what keeps everything happening in the same place. Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.”

Did you mean “not happening in the same place?  Let me try my hand at gibberish (valley girl talk and jokes of confusion) . OMG! Did you mean things can happen in different places at the same time? And the same things can happen simultaneously in different places? Things could happen in the same place at different times. I’ve seen it happen. And is space defined as the size of an electron, or the size of an atom, on up to the size of The Mall of America? I suppose the smallest thing in existence is the smallest, occupied space in existence since space needs something in it to be space. Like a clothing store. Even a vacuum can’t be space if there is no “existent,” anywhere . I can’t imagine existence being without things in it. For time to pass it needed to start at some time, which is why I like the idea of a big bang, and I’m not suggesting anything you creep. Can you define time, without using the word time? What’s over the horizon, in a cosmological sense? What if space is curved and existence too? Stuff like that is Weird.

Peter   

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Ba’al wrote, “Space is what keeps everything happening in the same place. Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.”

Did you mean “not happening in the same place?  Let me try my hand at gibberish (valley girl talk and jokes of confusion) . OMG! Did you mean things can happen in different places at the same time? And the same things can happen simultaneously in different places? Things could happen in the same place at different times. I’ve seen it happen. And is space defined as the size of an electron, or the size of an atom, on up to the size of The Mall of America? I suppose the smallest thing in existence is the smallest, occupied space in existence since space needs something in it to be space. Like a clothing store. Even a vacuum can’t be space if there is no “existent,” anywhere . I can’t imagine existence being without things in it. For time to pass it needed to start at some time, which is why I like the idea of a big bang, and I’m not suggesting anything you creep. Can you define time, without using the word time? What’s over the horizon, in a cosmological sense? What if space is curved and existence too? Stuff like that is Weird.

Peter   

quantum mechanically a thing (small enough thing)  can be in two places at once with the same probability. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cafe Society was a hoot.  Sometimes  Woody Allen is sufficiently witty that I can forgive him for being a Dirty Old Man.

On 12/3/2016 at 2:40 PM, merjet said:

In China, Trump-Style Infrastructure Partnerships Are Used to Hide Debt

The link may allow the reader to see only a little of the article online, but here are some excerpts.

The 400-foot JinQing Harbor Bridge under construction in this small seaside city [Wenling, China] is being financed not by bank loans or bonds but by a Chinese twist on the public-private partnerships that the president-elect has proposed to fund infrastructure projects in the U.S.

The city, like many in China, faces budget constraints after years of expansion amid warnings from central authorities that debt is already too high. So to pay for the $1.2 billion highway project that includes the new bridge, Wenling’s government teamed up with Bank of China Ltd. to create an “industrial fund” that pulls in money from ordinary investors.

Ultimately, the city is on the hook to pay back the money with a preset return. Critics of the structure say it is merely a way of disguising debt to pile more obligations on already straining government entities. 

“We’re seeing continued proliferation of off-balance-sheet channels to help banks extend and mask credit,” said Jack Yuan, a Shanghai-based analyst at Fitch Ratings. “Much of this is going to infrastructure and other local government projects, sometimes in the guise of funding for public-private partnerships.”