some things you should know about the evul Koch Brothers

Roger Bissell

23 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

Why "universities"? What a waste.

Our best scientific research is done at universities.  Also at independent think-tanks.   

On 4/12/2016 at 1:00 PM, Roger Bissell said:
12974280_10156760951030313_4889399986421

Where is this from, and where is the Fact Check department staff?

11 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

Where is the worst done?

--Brant

In government bureaucracies and in the labs of corporations receiving heavy government subsidies.  

In general few corporations engage in basic research (Bell Labs in its prime was a notable exception).  Most corporate science application and research is done with the goal of promoting the companies business.  Nothing wrong with that at all.  But it is not basic research.  Basic research by its nature does not have specific application  as part of its motive or  tactics.  

A pharmaceutical company is very unlikely to sponsor research that will prove its product is harmful  so that is the factor of bias in company sponsored  scientific programs.  

I might point out that university research is not  free of bias factors.  There is  a decided pro AGW bias in university sponsored climate studies.  A researcher who brings up evidence not supporting the AGW   hypothesis  is very likely to find his career  ended or blighted.

In a recent book on the Mann "Hockey Stick"   ---"A disgrace to the profession"-- by  Mark Steyn, 100  scientists in climate related fields such a meteorology,  plant paleontology,  atmospheric science,  thermodynamics  spoke against  Michael Mann and his "hockey stick"  About 90 of them were emeritus.  That is they were safely retired.  It is very difficult to get people in mid career at universities   to say anything critical  about  "climate change" or anthropogentic climate warming.  

On the other hand,  university research in fields that are not politically charged is generally rather good.  For example the latest findings in fields and particles such as come from CERN or FermiLab  are done by university based personnel.  Universities, by the nature,  are not constrained or confined to pursuing questions which are unrelated to bottom lines.  To make any scientific progress it is necessary  to pursue lines of research untroubled by such questions as can we sell this?,  will this produce a profit in the next quarter?  Of what practical use is this???.   

If someone asked Albert Einstein of what use was his theoretical research in space, time and gravity he would have had trouble responding.  However in the fullness of time, nuclear power generation and GPS  and other techno-goodies answer the question adequately. Einstein in his Nobel Prize winning paper on the  photoelectric effect put quantum theory at the head of the class. Quantum related physics underlies 85 percent of all our technical innovation.  But if you asked Einstein in 1905  what good is this Herr Doktor   he would have given an abstract answer such as "it is good to know how nature is". 

3 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

When scientists' "science" is waylaid by the need to get government or any grants the science is vitiated if for no other reason than their brains are in the wrong place.

--Brant

trying to convince bureaucrats

Your GPS  was developed by government sponsored programs.  So was the internet. It was originally developed for government project scientists and engineers to communicate with each other.  But its basic inventions were not bound by restrictive patents  (because tax revenue was used to develop the internet and communications links)  so the internet was vastly expanded when it was put in the hands of commercial entities.  Government sponsorship or funding does not automatically produce bad results.   If science were strictly private (in the real world it never was)  we probably would not have  the internet or GPS (originally developed for military use).   One the other hand sometime private industry introduces "block buster"  technology.  For example the transistor was invented at Bell Laboratories (when it was in its  intellectual prime)   back around   1946 or so and released to the public in 1948.  Transistors were developed by Bell Tell  to improve the performance  of telephone switching  facilities to handle and ever increasing volume of calls.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:19 PM, Brant Gaede said:

Where is the worst done?

--Brant

Universities.

There is no such thing as "independent research" when parasites are leeching off of government funding.

Greg

How do you think Salk and Sabin were funded when they were looking for a prevention of polio?

I used to defend the Koch brothers.

Republican financier Koch says Clinton might make better president
April 23, 2016
Reuters

Not anymore.

Nobody can tell me that supporting Hillary Clinton is due to fealty to conservative or libertarian principles.

Nobody.

This is crony corporatism, pure and simple. Why? Clinton has a history of playing ball. Trump looks like he might not. Also, Trump is self-funding his campaign. So he's not for sale to the Kochs. They won't be able to control him in the backroom.

I guess oil is just too crony an industry when push comes to shove. And when the shove goes down, it's all those beautiful-sounding patriotic libertarian principles that get shoved right out the window.

Hillary indeed.

After all, a feller's gotta eat...

Michael

Ann Coulter just now posted about Charles Koch on Facebook. First she linked to this article in the Daily Mail where Charles Koch said Clinton might be a better president than anyone in the GOP. 

Then she commented:

Coulter said:

A GOOD role model: 
Destroy American culture, just cut my taxes! Charles Koch trashes Trump 'terrible role model' 
Charles Koch imagines a libertarian paradise if only we could get another 50 million 3rd worlders voting in U.S! The flat tax and entitlement reforms in Somalia are AMAZING! Didn't they put a man on the moon?
FLEXIBILITY! 
Instead of deporting all MS-13 gang members, Trump should move some to Wichita.

I don't agree with her bash of the flat tax and entitlement reforms (the bash of Somalia works), but man, I want to spit...

Michael

That iris is photoed from our own patch a couple of days ago.

Michael, you wrote "Nobody can tell me that supporting Hillary Clinton is due to fealty to conservative or libertarian principles." I won't tell you again. I've repeated the principle for voting Democratic against such Republicans for years on these sites. Enough on that.

Thanks, Roger, for the points about the Kochs. I have Democratic friends who are very taken aback by CK's statement. Last year the Leftist rags speculated all sorts of dark ulterior motives the Kochs must have for their contribution to criminal justice reform. Either they don't get the difference between a conservative and a libertarian, don't know the Kochs have long been the latter, or prefer the latter were swept under the rug.

I am myself puzzled as to why CK thinks an H. Clinton administration could plausibly be superior to a Ted Cruz one. I mean the priority I place on Roe and its reasoning has never been a priority shared by the Kochs in their political activities. Maybe they don't like the immigration/hatred stuff Cruz rolls along with. I do get CK's interest in influencing the Republican candidates in his directions (and away from day after day of distraction from substance by negative personal junk, attack-the-media junk, . . .?) by the remark not ruling out relative merit (relative less demerit) of Clinton as President.

If Trump wins the nomination (as I now expect if he wins Indiana), I imagine any Koch money going to elections this year will go to House races to try to stem a Democratic sweep. It remains as always that support of education in the value and efficacy of liberty will remain the most lasting contribution of the Kochs to politics in America.

6 hours ago, Guyau said:

Michael, you wrote "Nobody can tell me that supporting Hillary Clinton is due to fealty to conservative or libertarian principles." I won't tell you again. I've repeated the principle for voting Democratic against such Republicans for years on these sites. Enough on that.

Stephen,

You are right. I wrote too fast.

I should have made a distinction between those who have thought-out reasons (like you) and those who have preached their entire lives one thing only to betray their own previously held views because they stand to lose power.

I have no issue with a person changing his mind, but, if his intellectual honesty is to be believed, there has to be a pivot point of some sort that shows why. There is nothing of the sort with Charles Koch.

So I should have said: "Nobody can tell me that a man with Charles Koch's history suddenly supporting Hillary Clinton out of the blue is due to fealty to conservative or libertarian principles."

Better?

:)

Michael

23 hours ago, merjet said:

Is Trump's proposed wealth tax worth about $12.4 billion to the Koch brothers relevant? Nah. :evil: 

Merlin,

Why, what on earth would make you think a thing like that? :evil: 

Some people have a price and now, at least, we know what Charles Koch's is.

Anyway, this is all moot.

Hillary rejected his support:

Well... she rejected his support out in public to her voters. I wonder when her folks are going to give him a call for a more private meeting of minds...

Michael

25 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

So I should have said: "Nobody can tell me that a man with Charles Koch's history suddenly supporting Hillary Clinton out of the blue is due to fealty to conservative or libertarian principles."

He did not say he supported Hillary. Nor does it mean Koch has abandoned his conservative or libertarian principles. One of the things he remarked on in the interview was government spending -- the growth rate during Bill Clinton's presidency was about half the rate during George W. Bush's presidency. Maybe Koch believes Hillary in the White House would be a lot more like Bill was than I do. My view: Bill wanted to be liked. Hillary likes power.

34 minutes ago, merjet said:

He did not say he supported Hillary.

Merlin,

Charles Koch is anything but a stupid man. He knew quite well what the public impact of his comment would be.

To believe otherwise is to believe he is a billionaire--in the oil industry at that--by accident.

Impossible to be that? No...

But he sure as hell doesn't strike me as Jed Clampett...

Michael