Leonard Peikoff Corner

"The Dying Slave" looks like he's dying to me. Post "orgasmic sex"? I dunno. I certainly prefer my own esthetic sensibilities to Leonard Peikoff's, but if we use his why not call "The David" pre-orgasmic sex? First pose, then kill Goliath, hit the gal in the bed (in a good way) and finally get a good night's sleep. That's what happened with the first run of "The John Galt Line" with the railroad train playing the role of having metaphorical sex, which is why it ran at a hundred mph, and penetrated the bridge. It sure wasn't going to slow down for towns. (Funny that Dagny's train ran through Hank's bridge.) oh, yeah, a massive dose of  foreshadowing with Hank putting Dagny back into her proper Ayn Rand place.

If a man had written Atlas Shrugged  Atlas Doesn't Shrug  The Hell With Shrugging!, how about Dagny as the steel magnate ("Taggart Metal") and Hank as the railroad runner, so his train would penetrate her bridge and later she gets to be on top? (Jus' thinkin'.) And the novel ends with Part One.

--Brant

one of many serious problems with Rand's great novel--no problems would mean no great novel--is it's triumph of give-uppism, passive aggressiveness and being a victim (ironically "The Strike" was supposed to be about refusing to be a victim, but the way it was done only compounded it: the heroes should have picketed--right in front of the White House [March on Washington!])--the  novel is really about the heroic need for hygiene: don't associate with those losers, take a shower, take a bath, go someplace pristine and clean (Rand as an environmentalist, "Cleanliness is next to nothing" wasn't her real attitude, not way down deep)

Brant, do you prefer Mich's David to his Dying Slave? I'm with the former on that choice, though the latter is fun for reasons in the vicinity of Peikoff's. Do you like Mich's David better than Bernini's David? I'm with the Bernini.

David_Bernini_1623.jpg

5 minutes ago, Guyau said:

Brant, do you prefer Mich's David to his Dying Slave? I'm with the former on that choice, though the latter is fun (pre, not post). Do you like Mich's David better than Bernini's David? (I'm with the Bernini.)

The David by M in both cases (you could read my profile). But that's a great David too, but I prefer implied action to come, not that much focus on an actual doing something which you can see all the time in athletic competitions. With M's David he's ready to do anything so you get a tremendous psychological profile of implicit human heroism and competence.

--Brant

Yes, that's what I do, but in your case, I just see those bits of your life and your interests and favorite things off to the left margin. I don't see anything about your preferences in sculpture. And you don't have one of those tabs filled out for "About Me."

Thinking about it a bit further, I see my preference for the Bernini is dependent on the fact that both sculptures are to be realizations of a particular character in a story known to the viewer. That brings in a dimension for evaluation (quality of character-realization), rather like in programmatic music. Considering the two sculptures aside from their story-character, I don't have a preference between the one strong man at rest and the other strong man in action. Like Leonard, I also had the privilege of walking around Michelangelo's David at the Accademia in Firenze, and that was unforgettable. Lovers of sculpture should in that precious city experience also those at the Bargello. In Rome experience those of Bernini and Michelangelo, including Bernini at the Borghese, home of his David. Unforgettable