individual rights and de-segregation

Arkadi

Dear all--

I have just come across the following report about a--supposedly well known yet new to me--argument by Hannah Arendt:

"She upheld individual states’ rights to run their own schools, and the rights of parents to control with whom (and thus with which races) their children socialized. ...She had no sympathy whatsoever for the integrationist efforts of the Warren Court or the NAACP and decried the way they made pawns of African-American students and their families." https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/state-that-i-am-in-hannah-arendt-in-america

I am wondering whether Ayn Rand would--or did--approve of this reasoning. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Arkadi said:

Dear all--

I have just come across the following report about a--supposedly well known yet new to me--argument by Hannah Arendt:

"She upheld individual states’ rights to run their own schools, and the rights of parents to control with whom (and thus with which races) their children socialized. ...She had no sympathy whatsoever for the integrationist efforts of the Warren Court or the NAACP and decried the way they made pawns of African-American students and their families." https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/state-that-i-am-in-hannah-arendt-in-america

I am wondering whether Ayn Rand would--or did--approve of this reasoning. Thanks.

Hannah Arendt was a brain for her time. You only read her as part of an historical analysis then see if it/she might still inform the present in some significant way. Civil rights in this country and the civil rights movement hinges on national legislation passed in the mid-1960s, not a 1950s' Supreme Court ruling. That was part and parcel of the ruinous "Great Society"--a product of Democratic control of Congress and legislating inertia. The Great Society re-enslaved the black minority with victimhood, material entitlement and welfare, especially with the destruction of the family by eliminating the necessary role of the male.

--Brant

PS: she was wrong because of public education--if it had been private education she would have been right (there should be no public education, which is a [European] public curse visited on America)

22 minutes ago, Arkadi said:

"The "she" is Hannah Arendt, not Ayn Rand"--Sure. The pronoun usually refers to the person mentioned last in the immediately preceding sentence. 

Your post itself doesn't make clear whether the quote is (1) about Hannah Arendt or (2) Hannah Arendt referring to another 'she'. I had to look at the linked article to learn which. It's pretty rare that somebody refers to herself as "she".