Update coming

Update coming

Get your seat-belts on.

A major update is coming (to version 4.1.8.1).

I can't give the precise day, but it will be soon.

I've been putting updates off for a bit because they are so disruptive, but we are now at a point where we have to bite the bullet. (Security, new technologies--we are now on the cloud, etc.)

Sorry for any inconvenience, but hopefully this will also result in some great stuff.

Michael

Update coming

Get your seat-belts on.

A major update is coming (to version 4.1.8.1).

I can't give the precise day, but it will be soon.

I've been putting updates off for a bit because they are so disruptive, but we are now at a point where we have to bite the bullet. (Security, new technologies--we are now on the cloud, etc.)

Sorry for any inconvenience, but hopefully this will also result in some great stuff.

Michael

Like Patton, never wanting to just hold ground, you're moving forward. March-on!

-J

To All OL Members,

I had a choice, to keep the usernames or the display names. The new upgrade merged them.

I chose to keep the usernames because if I kept the display names, you would have had to sign in with your display name and that would have confused the tar out of folks who only come around periodically if they were different.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

I'll try to figure out something for those who wish to keep the display names they had before.

This upgrade was brutal, but I think some good things will come of it.

Michael

10 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

To All OL Members,

I had a choice, to keep the usernames or the display names. The new upgrade merged them.

I chose to keep the usernames because if I kept the display names, you would have had to sign in with your display name and that would have confused the tar out of folks who only come around periodically if they were different.

Bloprfizvontivo. Plenigrank in pharblenonkst bu vevvistinks gho. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Sorry for this inconvenience.

I'll try to figure out something for those who wish to keep the display names they had before.

This upgrade was brutal, but I think some good things will come of it.

Michael

Just testing the waters. Not too bad, so far.

abcd efghij klmnopqr st uvwxyz.abcd efghij klmnopqr st uvwxyz.

Gwadja vwinibbglk fi dezcbunmarg kilometer yudrtgopcemo vissat mil rampiohfd.

J

On 2/9/2016 at 6:52 AM, Jonathan said:

Bloprfizvontivo. Plenigrank in pharblenonkst bu vevvistinks gho. :rolleyes:

abcd efghij klmnopqr st uvwxyz.abcd efghij klmnopqr st uvwxyz.

Jonathan, yr wyf yn meddwl ein bod yn mynd i gael amser da gyda'r feddalwedd newydd.

Anyone know how to embed videos?

A...

technically challenged  

Adam,

I'll try to get to this later when I look at different videos from different sources.

For YouTube, it's easy. Simply copy the URL from the browser at the top of the computer screen and insert it into the post without anything further. That should turn into a video.

At this point, for non-YouTube videos, if you see an embed code with script or iframe or things like that in it, my instinct says to copy the code, then on OL click the button called "Source" on the toolbar (top left) when you are making a post. This toggles to HTML mode. Then insert the code where you want the video to appear, toggle back and click the Submit Reply button.

That might not work for everything, but then again it might.

:)

Let me get the time to go through all this and I'll see if there are other things.

Or if anyone else knows stuff and wants to help out, please do so...

Michael

Adam, this is a plain link from Youtube:

and this is made with an HTML5 code:

Adam, this is the 'boilerplate code' for video embeds:

<video controls="controls" preload="auto" src="http://example.com/videos/sampleVideo.mp4">

Pretty straightforward.  It looks like the new forum software may allow other sites a direct embed with < iframes />, so I will experiment and post useful code snippets here -- or contact me backstage if you need more help.

27 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

William,

LOL...

This is a technical thread about updates.

Carly's a good girl and all, but I don't think she's interested in the update issues we are having on OL.

Just a test, Michael.   She can go get drunk tonight ...  This test is a copy-paste of the ABCnews code:

<iframe height="360" scrolling="no" src="http://abcnews.go.com/video/embed?id=32157007" style="border:none;" width="640"></iframe>

Christie orders a zillion pizzas, to go.

19 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Jonathan, yr wyf yn meddwl ein bod yn mynd i gael amser da gyda'r feddalwedd newydd.

Billy,

Klathnee ghbronie einm klietockfu rehaaldr, butcr Carly smliye smcher nin Kristy Kreme vermbl oste uotss, plasgces diviat mingstrobvosser plemintessant pavaskidge novar imp po sharvance gho.

J

54 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Billy,

Klathnee ghbronie einm klietockfu rehaaldr, butcr Carly smliye smcher nin Kristy Kreme vermbl oste uotss, plasgces diviat mingstrobvosser plemintessant pavaskidge novar imp po sharvance gho.

J

Hope you guys feel better now.

--Brant

the observing observer

Jonathan,

I used Google Translate on this mess and William's message is in Welsh. He basically said he thinks we are going to have fun with the new software.

Google Translate said that Slovak was detected for your message, but it didn't really translate anything.

Ya' gotta be careful with William. He likes Easter Eggs.

:) 

Michael

Yes, I like the new update. It does up-end every bookmark I have built up to speed my OL journey, but on the whole, it is a massive improvement. The first thing I like, or like the best, is the new-style editing window. For someone with a smattering of HTML it is ideal to tweak and preview posts in real time. The quoting is better, the paragraphing is automated and better, and the underlying HTML is easy to read. The ability to use iframes is also enhanced, and with robust protection against script insertion.  I am going to stop whining about the lack of a chat for at least a year, since I now can insert my chatbox inside my signature if and when I feel like typing realtime with REB, JT, AVS and KoD (if not pussies MSK, PT and PDS).

First-time visitors are confronted with a deep, busy and well-traveled site -- it makes me feel schadenfreude that RoR looks as old-fashioned and near-moribund next to New OL. And the drain-circling hate-site over there is still stuck in 2005. Ha! 

My favourite entry point to the forum is the Discover page: http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?/discover/

My second favourite entry point is on individual feature pages. You can follow a person, a thread, a larger topic, get notices for replies, all in one dashboard.

Good work, Fearless Leader.  We are going to Win again.

Edited by william.scherk
Add lots of praise, adjectives and verbs.

Michael,

I scarcely glanced at the new set-up a couple weeks ago before fleeing the scene until I could get some time in which to explore, so I'm just now noticing that threads no longer display the post numbers which used to appear in the upper right-hand corner of posts, next to the link icon.

Is post-numbering an optional feature which hasn't been activated, or is it unavailable with the changed system?  (Or...something in "Preferences," or something about my browser...?)

Also, I don't see any button for previewing a post before submitting it.  Is there one hiding someplace?

Ellen

PS:  I haven't tried the "Search" function yet, but it looks as if it's much enhanced.

Ellen,

I am going to have to submit a ticket on all your questions. I just looked at the stuff I can alter and it has been severely restricted--probably due to moving everything to a cloud server structure. For instance, I can no longer directly edit the php files. I couldn't find options to display post numbers or preview a post before submitting. I suspect this last will not be available because of the mobile-type orientation, but I will ask for it anyway.

The Search function is marvelous.

Type in "Barbara Branden" for example and you get every post she made since the beginning of OL. Ditto for all the greats who have posted here (including you :) ).

Michael

Did it pick up Evita's e-mails?

Internet graphics

• 4 weeks later...