Who does Rubio pick for VP ?

Marc

Not a good visual with his mouth open looking stunned...

Cam_KkAWcAAiKpN.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam,

Here is a series of observations (they are within David Frum's 21 tweets) and they ain't good:

These David Frum tweets perfectly explain why Rubio's debate glitch was so damaging

by Matthew Yglesias

February 7, 2016

Vox

A lot of these observations have been around for a while, but now they are circulating enough to lather up foam.

Here are two links Frum posted. The first, a long message from Ed Martin to Phyllis Schlafly on the Eagle Forum, is getting a lot of traction: Marco Rubio record since his election. Included in this memorandum are hyperlinked sources.

It probably helped form Schlafly's scorched earth comment against Rubio.

And the second, a video of a politician in broken-record mode, shows that Rubio wasn't as bad as he could have been. Or, wait...

:smile:

Michael

But Bush shamed him pretty badly, I thought.

Roger,

You mean this?

The Interwebs is afire with people talking about how Trump stood up to the audience. They're saying he's the only one who has the balls to do it like that.

So I don't know where you saw shaming. I didn't see any. I saw peer pressure attempted, but it didn't go anywhere. Not with Trump. Not with the public at large.

Maybe us Trumpers are just shameless.

:smile:

Michael

What struck me is after Tump "shushed" Bush--Bush obeyed! WRONG thing to do in a situation like that. RIGHT thing to do if you want appear weak.

I want to like Bush. He did a good job as governor in Florida, but in situations like this he's showing he has no backbone.

And employing his mommy to campaign for him?

boo

Marc,

The problem when you are a made and owned politician like Rubio is that you have to keep the racketeers in the backroom happy.

The feeling I'm getting from the tone of the press (which the backroom kingmakers own) is these particular power-brokers are not happy with their boy. They can accept almost anything about their boy except he be perceived as something to laugh at. That is the kiss of death and that is the problem Rubio has to squash to stay alive.

(Apropos, for an extreme recent example, the problem with staying in power Anthony Weiner faced was not the sex crap--hell, look at Bubba. It was the hilarity that ensued and would not go away.)

Rubio doesn't have to keep the public or the pundits happy. But he does have to keep his masters happy. I don't think they are too happy with him right now. And I don't think they're laughing...

Michael

I agree that those folks are result oriented movers and shakers are not happy . Their happiness will exist on Tuesday .

Rubio is being groomed to wear the crown , its his turn . Obama had a turn , now it Rubio's turn .

I would rather that Rubio learns his lessons here - against a very soft field - than against HC and her machine .

As for Reagan . he did not win the election that night . It was a good line , no doubt . Just like Rubio was a deer in the headlights , thats all !

I want my President to be real ,

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another woman whom I have great respect for.

Her column today is devastating for Rubio.

The Suicide of the GOP Establishment

Despite the Trump juggernaut, they refuse to rethink Bushism in their support for Rubio

by Laura Ingraham

If Marco Rubio becomes president, we can expect:

1.) That he will work with Democrats and the GOP leadership in Congress to pass something that looks like the Gang of Eight amnesty bill.

2.) That he will urge Congress to pass any trade agreements that Obama has signed.

3.) That he will send significant numbers of U.S. troops to the Middle East.

4.) That his foreign policy will be developed by many of the same people who advised George W. Bush.

5.) That his economic policy will reflect the views of those who were in power when the United States was hit by the economic crisis of 2008.

Now, I don’t think any of these points are truly controversial. Somewhere, there may be naïve people who actually believe that Rubio will put border enforcement first. But all sophisticated analysts of politics — including the folks at National Review — certainly expect that a President Rubio will support the same type of amnesty that was supported by Sen. Rubio. And on the other issues, Rubio has not even pretended that he will break with the Obama/Bush trade policy, the Bush foreign policy, or the Bush economic policy.

This is a fair statement as to Rubio's views.

Laura then explains the last eight years in the context of the level of revolt that exists throughout America suggesting that:

...many, many Republicans — probably a majority of the party — do not agree with any of the five principles outlined above. Time and time again, grassroots and movement conservatives have expressed their opposition to all five of the key planks in Rubio’s platform. These Republicans do not support the Gang of Eight bill. They do not support Obama’s trade deals. They do not want to spend huge amounts of blood and treasure again in the Middle East. And they most certainly do not want the economy to look like it did in the fall of 2008.

She specifically points out that:

They are the reason that Eric Cantor is no longer in the House. They are the reason that the Gang of Eight bill didn't pass. They are the reason that John Boehner is no longer speaker. And they are the reason that Donald Trump and Ted Cruz have dominated the polls for months.

Laura continues, explaining that:

...from the beginning, most of the Rubio supporters have made it clear that they are only willing to support two people: Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio. They have shot down every other candidate who has been offered. And many have publicly and privately threatened to bolt the party and support Hillary Clinton if they don't get their way.

And...

Ironically, last summer these same people were obsessing about nailing Trump down with that debate pledge to support whomever the GOP nominated.

Haven't we seen this over and over and over? Didn't they do the same thing in 2008, when they shot down Mike Huckabee? Didn't they do it in 2012, when they shot down Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum? Didn't we see it last year, when they gave over $100 million to Jeb before the race had even begun?

She now makes the link that matters between the past and the present Republican factions/tribes illustrating, why Trump is gaining so many significant adherents:

This is the reason old Reaganites like Pat Buchanan and Phyllis Schlafly understand and are looking kindly on Trump's campaign, because they know you must utterly rout the Establishment in order to change policy.

This is the reason people like Senator Jeff Sessions and Sarah Palin are supporting Trump — because they understand that compromise is impossible with an entrenched oligarchy.

This is the reason Christie has endorsed Trump — because he recognizes that Rubio and his supporters will lead us down a path that will be disastrous for the party.

Finally, she then clearly lays out that it is, once again, a "time to choose,"

Of course, they do not say. Even today, with the fate of the party at stake, their only argument is to attack Trump and his supporters, to call them stupid, and racist, nativist, and isolationist and every other epithet they can lift from the editorial pages of the New York Times and the Washington Post.

In the end, they have left the opponents of the status quo no choice — they must either defeat Rubio, and radically change the power structure of the GOP, or they must watch Obama's immigration policy, Obama's trade policy, Bush’s foreign policy, and Bush’s economic policy, be implemented.

On Tuesday, we’ll know how the voters react to those alternatives.

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/the-suicide-of-the-gop-establishment/

A...

No, this is certainly not a year for laughter...

Here is another voice that was not listened to...

What is conservative about uncontrolled borders?

Why, as trade deficits with China and the world rose from the tens of billions to hundreds of billions, did the establishment not wake up and see the shuttering factories, the lost jobs and the ghost towns arising across America – and react?

Could they not see that, as we celebrated globalization, Beijing and Tokyo were practicing ruthless mercantilism and protectionism?

At the end of the Cold War in 1991, many Americans urged that, with the Soviet Empire dissolved and Soviet Union disintegrating, it was time to bring our troops home and let the rich fat nations that had been freeloading for half a century provide the soldiers and pay the cost of their own security.

Instead, the establishment opted for empire, for expanding old alliances, dumping over regimes, crusading for democracy, sending our soldiers out to remake Third World countries in the image of Iowa and Vermont.

Who now thinks all these wars were worth the cost?

Whether Trump wins or loses the nomination, the immigration, trade and foreign policies pursued by the elites since the end of the Cold War are dead letters. The nation has declared them to be so in the primaries.

http://www.wnd.com/2016/02/a-new-gop-is-born/#S1BsmwEzpKSYA0hZ.99

One recalls Barry Goldwater’s historic wipeout in 1964. But, in 1966, Republicans made the greatest gains in a generation, and went on to win the presidency for 20 of the next 24 years.

Sorry, Adam... and thanks for the reminder that you take this seriously. It's entertainment to me because no politician has ever made any difference in the quality of my life. That has always been completely dependent on my own actions and no one else's.

Greg

3 minutes ago, moralist said:

Sorry, Adam... and thanks for the reminder that you take this seriously. It's entertainment to me because no politician has ever made any difference in the quality of my life. That has always been completely dependent on my own actions and no one else's.

Greg

Geez Greg, no apology necessary.

I am a New Yorker, your choice to live by your values is admirable.

I have chosen a different path to work with folks to understand that they have the absolute choice to do the same.

I use you as an example constantly with folks, particularly young folks. 

You would probably not be surprised to watch them get it that, like you, they can choose to shape their lives along a similar path.

Quite liberating actually.

A...

At this time, I don't see Rubio as getting the nomination regardless what machinations he expects to pull off.  He's young and it would appear he's already been issued marching orders from the Republican establishment. Expect more of the same from Marco. 

Regardless who gets the Republican nomination, I think the likely VP choice would be Kasich. Even though he probably won't get the nomination, RealClear politics has him beating Evita by the greatest margin.  Strange.   Anyway, Kasich is a likable guy and capturing Ohio will be critical in the general election.  

2 minutes ago, Mike82ARP said:

At this time, I don't see Rubio as getting the nomination regardless what machinations he expects to pull off.  He's young and it would appear he's already been issued marching orders from the Republican establishment. Expect more of the same from Marco. 

Regardless who gets the Republican nomination, I think the likely VP choice would be Kasich. Even though he probably won't get the nomination, RealClear politics has him beating Evita by the greatest margin.  Strange.   Anyway, Kasich is a likable guy and capturing Ohio will be critical in the general election.  

Mikee:

These projected November match up "polls" are completely meaningless at this juncture.

Pay no attention to them.

A...

1 hour ago, Selene said:

Mikee:

These projected November match up "polls" are completely meaningless at this juncture.

Pay no attention to them.

A...

I generally don't take the polls seriously, especially at this time.  One good sign is the turnout for the Democrat primaries has been low reflecting a lack of excitement in the their candidates, even Evita.

2 minutes ago, Mike82ARP said:

I generally don't take the polls seriously, especially at this time.  One good sign is the turnout for the Democrat primaries has been low reflecting a lack of excitement in the their candidates, even Evita.

Correct.

It is going to be a major problem in November pulling out her vote.

That us, considering that she may have to use the ole Communist Soviet cover story that she is to sick to continue.

They used to say that the dictator had a cold and they would be dead in a week.

She will just go into a health retreat and groom her daughter for a political carrier, or, she may just continue to work the Evita Crime Family Foundation.

A...

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:17 PM, Selene said:

I have chosen a different path to work with folks to understand that they have the absolute choice to do the same.

I respect that you do, Adam. A body has different parts which perform different functions. :smile:

Greg

Greg,

I was talking about Paul's religious metaphor in 1 Corinthians 12:12 and following.

It starts as follows: "For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ," and makes some excellent points. For example, the foot should not say it's not of the body because it isn't a hand. And the body should not say it's only an eye because it will thus not hear. And so on.

I remembered the metaphor well from recently reading the Bible because it was such a good one. In fact, philosophically, it describes holons to a tee. (For a great elaboration of holons, see A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilber.)

Michael

Yes, I'm familiar with the Biblical origins of that fascinating principle. Holons must be the root of holographic.

For the human body does not consist of one part, but of many limbs and organs. If the foot says, “Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body,” is it not on the contrary still a part of the body?  If the ear says, “Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body,” is it not on the contrary still a part of the body? 

If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?  But now as things really are, God has placed and arranged the parts in the body, each one of them, just as He willed and saw fit with the best balance of function. If they all were a single organ, where would the rest of the body be?  But now as things really are there are many parts different limbs and organs, but a single body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.”

But quite the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are absolutely necessary; and as for those parts of of the body which we consider less honorable, these we treat with greater honor; and our less presentable parts are treated with greater modesty, while our more presentable parts do not require it.

But God has combined the whole body, giving greater honor to that part which lacks it, so that there would be no division or discord in the body, that is, lack of adaptation of the parts to each other, but that the parts may have the same concern for one another. And if one member suffers, all the parts share the suffering; if one member is honored, all rejoice with it."

This is the template for civilization. :smile:

Greg

1 hour ago, moralist said:

Holons must be the root of holographic.

Greg,

Kinda, although fractals have a special nature, too.

A holon is an integral whole in itself, but also a part of a greater whole. 

The universe is constructed of holons, from inanimate stuff to life. (Wilber extends this to what he calls spirit, which, in his concept is a bit different than the traditional meaning.)

In determinism, starting with the big bang, new forms (wholes) emerged from the small stuff kinda at random.

In holonic thinking, each holon can be broken down to smaller holons, and keep on going to molecules, to atoms, to subparticles and apparently on and on. In other words, the whole can be destroyed, but the parts keep existing (as smaller holons).

But going the other direction, a whole can (and does) transcend its state and become a new, more encompassing holon. There are different causes for such transcendence, including chaos. Wilber even claims this transcendence is the way evolution works (in parallel with natural selection), although I haven't studied this enough to talk knowledgeably about it yet.

Then there are toxic holons which damage the larger holon they belong to and other variations.

It's a fascinating theory.

Michael

How in God's name does your staff let this picture get taken?

CczpHD4WoAAAjPP.jpg

On 3/1/2016 at 4:06 PM, Selene said:

She now makes the link that matters between the past and the present Republican factions/tribes illustrating, why Trump is gaining so many significant adherents:

Pat Buchanan and Phyllis Schlafly
are looking kindly on Trump's campaign
they know you must utterly rout the Establishment in order to change policy.

Senator Jeff Sessions and Sarah Palin are supporting Trump
they understand that compromise is impossible with an entrenched oligarchy.

Christie has endorsed Trump
he recognizes that Rubio and his supporters will lead us down a path that will be disastrous for the party.

Finally, she then clearly lays out that it is, once again, a "time to choose,"

they do not say.

their only argument is to attack
they have left the opponents of the status quo no choice
they must either defeat Rubio
they must watch

On Tuesday, we’ll know how the voters react 

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/the-suicide-of-the-gop-establishment/

Good read.  

Trump Support has many facets, reflects many aspects of America.  Trump produces, he doesn't destroy. What magnificent children. Corrupt machine. This is the basis of Trump's glamour. Wealth and fame, hidden artistry, super-powers BS, he is wedded to excellence. He does it all without a lot of effort. The wealth, the fame, success, winning, he likes to be unpredictable. Emotionally pent-up protagonist. Smiley face.  

Trump Support is holding at or above the Magic number 33, and he is almost one-third of the way to delegate Victory Math. Look at the little fingers, the short numbers, the teeny little number Litte Marco has gathered in his tiny hands.  128.  Peh. 

Mr Rubio, it is time to step aside. You will step aside once you lose Florida to Trump.   Why not lessen the pain for your Cabal and let Cruz take the mantle of Anybody But Trump?  Cause it ain't you, Marco. 

Marc, I don't see how Rubio Evita Jughead JugEars Rico Ricardo can catch up with Cruz, let alone Trump.  He should put his Brainy glasses on and read hard reality in numbers. Ten percent is not good enough, to these eyes.

382 300 128 35

30.88% 24.00% 10.35% 2.82%

Trump has 382/1237 delegates.

Who can see a way for him to fail to gain the nomination, if he keeps on keeping on -- at or above the magic 33?

Rubio Support should figure this out soon enough.

Yeah!!

Ricky "The Piñata" Rubio won all 23 delegates in Puerto Rico!!

I guess he will ask the other three candidates to suspend because we know how much the "establishment" wants to have that Latino vote...

73% - too bad they can't vote for you in the general election..

Compañeros Arriba!!

300px-PI%C3%91ATA.jpg

A,,,

Marc, I don't see how Rubio Evita Jughead JugEars Rico Ricardo can catch up with Cruz, let alone Trump.  He should put his Brainy glasses on and read hard reality in numbers. Ten percent is not good enough, to these eyes.

Bigfinger

Catbird

Enrico

Hunchy

Moody Freaky Bossy Fuzzy
30.88% 24.00%

10.35%
12.29%

2.82%

Yo, Rubio Support!  The numbers have changed ... but the trend is the same. How can a 12% candidate get anywhere near 1237?  Time to fold up the tent, Rubio Support.  Or at least, sharpen the knives for the Florida primary. They will be necessary.

Oh, hell, for the Trump Hater cohort here: 

1 hour ago, Selene said:

300px-PI%C3%91ATA.jpg

How did you come to name Marco JugEars Rubio as "Ricardo"?

Marc, what is your plan B?