Cruz Nuz

Let Joe Dan break Cruz down for ya'.

If you can get past a dog-whistle or two that is sure to raise the hackles of the more liberal amongst us, Joe Dan nails what lots of people in the Silent Majority feel about Cruz.

The underlying principle is the "say versus do" standard. When Trump-supporting Silent Majority people look at what Cruz says, they like it. They like it a lot. When they look at what he does, they don't. Not at all. 

They like what Cruz says. They don't like what he does.

It's no more complicated than that regardless of how you spin it.

And notice that, unlike anti-Trump fanatics, Joe Dan says he will vote for Cruz if he gets the nomination. This is where I am at.

There are a few lines I enjoyed a lot in this video like, "I would be too embarrassed to accept these rigged delegates, but then again, I'm not a lawyer."

:evil: 

My favorite has nothing to do with Cruz or Trump. Joe Dan said it with his full Southern twang in overdrive:

"If you're too broke to donate, that's fine. We might be cousins."

:)

Michael

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trump is a conservative and an outsider? Well, he plays one on TV. I disagree with Ted on a few things but I disagree with Trump on a lot more. Do Objectivists favor Cruz over Trump? Of course and I have forwarded a few philosophical criticisms of Trump. I will support Cruz until he loses to Trump . . . . however, I have stopped sending money to him, until it appears the nomination will hinge upon the convention for a final vote.

Peter

Bernie is campaigning in Maryland and Delaware. It is odd that he and Trump are comparable in some classifications. “A future to believe in.” “Make America Great Again.” Both of those are good slogans. So much will be decided strategy - wise by the upcoming votes and I am glad of it.

I am sure a list of positions could be compiled from Objectivists that I do not support like open borders. Remember Anthemgate?

Robert Tracinski wrote: Note also that it is not merely the public expression of disagreement that Peikoff refuses to allow. It is also the private expression of disagreement. Referring to a small, conversational forum of Objectivist academics in which McCaskey participated, Peikoff says, "I do not know where else he has voiced these conclusions, but size to me is irrelevant in this context." One wonders whether it is acceptable for McCaskey to think these thoughts in his own mind. end quote

Calling it free trade with state run and protectionist China, when it is only free on our side is not a Cruz / Objectivist position I agree with.  It loses us jobs in America. I want to pay less for the products I buy, but not at the expense of American jobs. I think it is generally dumb and immoral to support a totalitarian regime like Cuba, though I have grudgingly seen the Henry Kissinger / Richard Nixonian advantage to opening trade with China. It made China freer, and helped to crumble the Soviet Union. But now? Now we get to buy cheaper stuff, but would we buy it from North Korea or any country that uses quasi slave labor? No. Occasionally though not always, I look for the American label.  

Will supporting Cruz or Kasich hurt the Republican’s chances for victory if Trump is nominated? A lot of die hard Trump supporters or the “Anyone But Trump” crowd won’t support anyone else. I don’t think Cruz supporters generally want Ryan, Mitt, or an establishment “picked” top banana.  Or Hillary, as that Levin video dramatized. That was funny that Mark Levin reversed himself a few days later, but I am sure he is back supporting the most conservative and electable candidate.

Peter

Cruz’s Dad is objectionably theocratic. If you do a political analyses of the candidates Cruz gets more Objectivist check marks by his name. Some of that ANTI, ANTI Cruz site was legit and some was propaganda.

Do you like being played? Do you like being the patsy? Do you buy unwanted stuff from TV, or long for the days of carnival barkers and freak shows? Want to get all uncritically excited and adoring about a new messiah?

Well, have we got a product for you! The Trump and Hillary interactive, puppy dog set!

Good morning, Donald. Sit.

Good morning Dave. The eggs and toast sound good today.

Thanks Big D! And Hillary, how is the day stacking up?

She rolls on her back to have her belly scratched. It’s morning in America Dave, partly cloudy and spring like. Some strong coffee would hit the spot!

Sounds great. In ten minutes will you guys be ready for your morning walk?

Certainly Dave. Are we going to pee by the fire hydrant again?

Peter

Lying Ted's techniques apparently permeate his campaign...

Maine Gov. Paul LePage, a Donald Trump supporter, accused the Ted Cruz presidential campaign of reneging on a deal to support a “unity slate” of the state’s primary delegates, according to CNN.

"We reached a deal with Cruz's national campaign to put up a unity slate that would honor the wishes of the thousands of Mainers who voted at caucus,” LePage said in a statement. “But Cruz's Northeast Political Director David Sawyer lied to us and broke the deal. Sawyer stabbed us in the back, reneged on the unity slate, and betrayed the people of Maine."

The Maine governor suggested the incident was part of a larger trend of deceit from the Cruz team.

"As we have seen throughout the country, Cruz's national campaign is run by greedy political hooligans,” he said.

"I can't stand by and watch as Cruz and the Republican Establishment forcibly overrule the votes of Mainers who chose Trump and Kasich. I call on Senator Cruz to condemn Sawyer's disrespectful and dishonest tactics in Maine."

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/277396-maine-governor-accuses-cruz-campaign-of-back-stabbing

Phooey Adam. Cruz is the most honest, trustworthy, and most Randian, in the top three Republican candidates ever.

Do the math. Those oldies but goodies.

Peter Taylor

From: "Peter Reidy" To: reason_on@hotmail.com, Atlantis at we the living, Subject: Re: ATL: Rand's Politics

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 Concerning Hardesty's assertions, here are some facts as best I know them:

- "In 1964 Rand backed Barry Goldwater for President and stated in a March, 1964 interview with Playboy, that the US had a 'right' to invade Cuba, the USSR or any other 'slave pen'."

She backed Goldwater with reservations, and the quotes are accurate. She deals at greater length with the right to invade in "Collectivized Rights".

- "Rand was vehemently opposed to the 1963 Partial Nuclear Test Ban Act which prohibited atmospheric nuclear testing and which has saved countless lives, just here in the US of people who would otherwise be poisoned by radiation, from above ground nuclear tests."

She opposed it in passing (not "vehemently") in the Playboy interview and referred readers to Teller's testimony.  The rest is an early example of the junk science that has become so much more prevalent lately.

- "Rand thought it morally okay to bomb villages in Vietnam and that it was just tough that noncombatants were killed, an attitude that ARI extends to the whole Arab World today."

I think she would have agreed, though I don't know of any place where she actually said so.  The part about ARI is true.

- "Rand was against any form of social welfare, she favored a free hand for the FBI & CIA to combat 'spies'".

Correct about social welfare.  "Free hand" is too vague to judge, and the scare quotes bespeak a serious ignorance of twentieth-century American history.

- "She was strongly for Nixon's appointment of William Rehnquist to the Supreme Court, whom Reagan later elevated to Chief Justice, [sic] he is a hardcore rightwing ideologue."

Questionable.  She condemned the double standard of the Rehnquist opposition and said, at most, that his record was cause for guarded optimism.  ("The Disenfranchisement of the Right", I think.  In "Censorship, Local and Express", she explicitly repudiated him, years before he became Chief Justice.  "Hardcore rightwing ideologue" is, once more, impermissibly vague.

- "Rand was for the death penalty in principle."

Correct, though Nathaniel Branden actually authored the statement, in "The Objectivist Newsletter".

- "Rand was opposed to the 1964 Civil Rights Act".

True.  See her essay "Racism".

- "According to the late Roy M. Cohn, Rand thought Joe McCarthy was too soft on communism !"

Don't know Cohn actually said this or, if he did, whether his report was accurate.  Her only published mention of McCarthy is in "Extremism, or The Art of Smearing".  She said that she was not an admirer, but not for the

same reasons as most people.  She wouldn't have liked his irresponsibility and his anti-intellectualism.  As far as I know, she never said what Hardesty says Cohn said she said.

- "Rand's political mentor was Isabel Paterson, an arch-conservative and anti-semite, according to Barbara Branden's biography".

Correct, though Barbara Branden says that they eventually broke with each other and that Paterson's penchant for nutzoid hostility was the main reason.

What do you mean by "the McCarthy trials"?  Strictly speaking, he held hearings, not trials.  I suspect you are conflating them with the HUAC movie hearings, where Rand was a witness.  These were quite separate events, and she had no personal involvement in the former.

Did you and Hardesty ever agree on what "rightwing" means?  It strikes me as an example of what she called an anti-concept (see "Extremism").

Peter

5 hours ago, Selene said:

Adam,

If Paul Manafort had done for Donald Trump exactly what Governor LePage is alleging was done for Ted Cruz, wouldn't you be cheering?

Robert

Well, if Cruz loses (which is the most likely outcome), he will at least go down in history as the last hero standing against the Triumph of Moloch worship in America before the Mighty Vengeance of God crushes us all.

See here from the leftie Right Wing Watch (but with links and videos to back up what they say): Glenn Beck Is Going To Write A Contemporary History Book About How America Was Lost ... By Not Electing Ted Cruz.

Michael

2 hours ago, Robert Campbell said:

Adam,

If Paul Manafort had done for Donald Trump exactly what Governor LePage is alleging was done for Ted Cruz, wouldn't you be cheering?

Robert

No Robert, I would not be cheering. 

Perhaps you are creating a knee jerk reaction to what you want to believe a pro-Trump advocate would sell his

integrity for.

Wrong pew with me.

A...

12 hours ago, Selene said:

No Robert, I would not be cheering. 

Perhaps you are creating a knee jerk reaction to what you want to believe a pro-Trump advocate would sell his

integrity for.

Wrong pew with me.

A...

Adam,

I've seen lots of cheering on this thread about what I call the DDDDT stuff (such as the National Enquirer piece insinuating that others were whispering that rumors were flying that "Randy Ted" Cruz had had affairs with five women).

Also seen a ton to the effect that "caucuses are for cheaters" (thank you for that uplifting sentiment, Ann Coulter) and about Donald Trump's being destined, or at least entitled, to win every contest that he enters.  For example, since Trump has won more primaries than Cruz, the caucuses and state conventions are obviously a vile conspiracy against voters—and all of those state delegations should be awarded to Trump in a walkover.

All of that rhetoric is so hypocritical, it's painful.

There might be a legitimate complaint in the present case—in fact, I vaguely recall some pushing and shoving between Romney's people and Paul's over delegates in Maine 4 years ago, the kind of matter that the proprietor of this site believes would concern only those in the grip of the Establishment—but it's kind of hard to pick it out of the daily chorus of special pleading by and for Trump.

Do you think that any integrity sales have been taking place on the Trump side?  Or is it only Trump's opponents for whom integrity is ever sold or sacrificed?

Robert

PS. Paul Manafort is a former employee of Viktor Yanukovych.  (You know he didn't take any of his compensation in Ukrainian currency.)  It's hard to believe that Manafort isn't expected to pull off, in other states, precisely what Governor LePage is complaining about in Maine.

I will wait for Sabato’s article but when he said on Fox today that “If Trump does not win on the first ballot, he will be trounced,” I was shocked and very happy. The UVA professor of Politics is right most of the time and I think he has the best track record of them all. He did astonishingly well in 2012.

I will wait for the Larry Sabato’s reasons Trump will be trounced but I assume it is because he has called some good, decent, and honorable delegates some truly awful things. And all thirty one Republican Governors will be there. They have influence with their delegations and he may have offended some of them too. And I expect Trump will start fighting even dirtier, while saying everybody else is crooked, as he tries to be a crook and steal the votes needed. Will he peddle influence or commodities?

Peter  

In my mailbox today from Ted and Heidi.

Peter, Thank you.

We just wanted to take this opportunity to send along our sincere appreciation for all your help on behalf of our family. In the heat of this campaign we remain humbled by those who make this all possible. I
t is you. We are thankful for all of the calls you make, doors you knock, friends you talk to, and money you give on behalf of this campaign. Without your support we would have never gotten this far.

But that work is not finished yet! Together, we have awakened and united conservatives from coast to coast. As we look to the future, it is important to understand that there will be many attempts to distract us from the mission. Our opponents will make false attacks. The news media will do whatever it can to change the narrative away from how we are uniting conservatives. And the elites in Washington will do everything possible to cling to the power they still have left.

We won't let that stop us. Thank you again for everything you are doing, it is your prayers and support that power this campaign every single day.

Best wishes, Heidi and Ted Cruz

6 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Adam,

I've seen lots of cheering on this thread about what I call the DDDDT stuff (such as the National Enquirer piece insinuating that others were whispering that rumors were flying that "Randy Ted" Cruz had had affairs with five women).

Robert

Again Robert, you personalized it to me. 

That is the distinction that I was pointing out to you.

Out of curiosity Robert, if Trump were elected and he appointed a special administrator of the VA, with the three charges of authority, listed below, do you believe he could accomplish it?

One: within six (6) all Veteran's will have a unified VA Medical card which shall be taken by all licensed doctors, clinics and hospitals.  Frankly, can't see it taking his person that long;

Two: Dismantling the Veteran's Administration as an agency and proposing a one page bill ending it's authority on a date certain and present it to Congress;

Three: Appoint a special prosecutor to charge any and all administrative and management personnel who changed or hid numbers which allowed them to receive bonuses. 

If convicted they can serve their time on weekends and still provide their family with financial support.

A...

State

Date 

Delegates

Trump

Cruz

Rubio

Kasich

Primary/
Caucus

Delegate
Allocation

Open/
Closed

(1,237 Needed to Win)

-

-

-

-

CACalifornia

June 76/7

Primary

Winner Take All

Closed

MTMontana

June 76/7

Primary

Winner Take All

Open

NJNew Jersey

June 76/7

Primary

Winner Take All

Open**

NMNew Mexico

June 76/7

Primary

Proportional*

Closed

SDSouth Dakota

June 76/7

Primary

Winner Take All

Closed

WAWashington

May 245/24

Primary

Proportional*

Closed

OROregon

May 175/17

Primary

Proportional

Closed

WVWest Virginia

May 105/10

Primary

Direct Election

Open**

NENebraska

May 105/10

Primary

Winner Take All

Closed

INIndiana

May 35/3

Primary

Winner Take All

Open

RIRhode Island

April 264/26

Primary

Proportional*

Open**

PAPennsylvania

April 264/26

Primary

Winner Take All

Closed

MDMaryland

April 264/26

Primary

Winner Take All

Closed

DEDelaware

April 264/26

Primary

Winner Take All

Closed

CTConnecticut

April 264/26

Primary

Proportional*#

Closed

I am fascinated with the scenario of Trump falling a few delegates short with Cruz just behind him. Trump has 845. Cruz 559. Rubio 171. Kasich 148. Needed to win 1237. So that leaves 749 delegates still to pick from. Trump needs 392. Cruz needs 678. Trump will do good in the north east on Tuesday. And I presume, in New Jersey. But Nebraska, South Dakota, Oregon, Montana, New Mexico, Indiana and California???

If Trump and Cruz fail what happens on the second ballot? Will Sabato’s prediction about a Trump trouncing come true?

Trump needs an Emotional Rescue by The Rolling Stones:

Is there nothing I can say, nothing I can do
To change your mind, I'm so in love with you
You're too deep in, you can't get out
You're just a poor girl in a rich man's house

Yeah, baby, I'm crying over you

Don't you know promises were never made to keep?
Just like the night, dissolve in sleep
I'll be your savior, steadfast and true
I'll come to your emotional rescue

Yeah, the other night, crying
Crying baby, yeah I'm crying
Yeah, I'm like a child baby, I'm like a child baby
Child yeah, I'm like a child, like a child, like a child

You think you're one of a special breed
You think that you're his pet pekingese

I was dreaming last night
Last night, I was dreaming
How you'd be mine, but I was crying
Like a child, yeah, I was crying, crying like a child
You will be mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, all mine
You could be mine, could be mine, be mine, all mine

I come to you, so silent in the night
So stealthy, so animal quiet

Yeah, you should be mine, mine, whew
Yes, you could be mine, tonight and every night
I will be your knight in shining armor
Coming to your emotional rescue

You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine
You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine
I will be your knight in shining armor
Riding across the desert with a fine Arab charger

Songwriters: KEITH RICHARDS, MICK JAGGER, © EMI Music Publishing, For non-commercial use only.

53 minutes ago, Peter said:

I will wait for the Larry Sabato’s reasons Trump will be trounced but I assume it is because he has called some good, decent, and honorable delegates some truly awful things.

Peter,

Here's a speculation.

Sabato gets A LOT of business from people who don't like Trump. And probably very little from those who do. And, I bet, nothing at all from Trump himself.

That couldn't possibly be a reason, could it? It certainly worked that way for Dick Morris last election--he even said so on national TV...

:evil:  :) 

Michael

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Phooey Adam. Cruz is the most honest, trustworthy, and most Randian, in the top three Republican candidates ever.

Peter Taylor

From: "Peter Reidy" To: reason_on@hotmail.com, Atlantis at we the living, Subject: Re: ATL: Rand's Politics

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 Concerning Hard

48 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Peter,

Here's a speculation.

Sabato gets A LOT of business from people who don't like Trump. And probably very little from those who do. And, I bet, nothing at all from Trump himself.

That couldn't possibly be a reason, could it? It certainly worked that way for Dick Morris last election--he even said so on national TV...

Michael

You mean like this list?

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/sponsors_corpleaders.html

18 hours ago, Peter said:

Peter Taylor

Your boy Cruz(icifix)  is a religious fanatic. 

11 hours ago, Selene said:

Again Robert, you personalized it to me. 

That is the distinction that I was pointing out to you.

Out of curiosity Robert, if Trump were elected and he appointed a special administrator of the VA, with the three charges of authority, listed below, do you believe he could accomplish it?

One: within six (6) all Veteran's will have a unified VA Medical card which shall be taken by all licensed doctors, clinics and hospitals.  Frankly, can't see it taking his person that long;

Two: Dismantling the Veteran's Administration as an agency and proposing a one page bill ending it's authority on a date certain and present it to Congress;

Three: Appoint a special prosecutor to charge any and all administrative and management personnel who changed or hid numbers which allowed them to receive bonuses. 

If convicted they can serve their time on weekends and still provide their family with financial support.

A...

Adam,

You probably know more about the dust-up in Maine, 4 years ago, than I do.

'Nuff said.

I don't know what timeline (weeks, months, years) you had in mind for 1, but that's an administrative matter (or so I would assume), so it can be made to happen fast if there is sufficient will.

2 would have to happen before any other important things could be done, or the present agency, its employees, all their civil service protections, and any currently applicable Federal government union privileges, would keep standing in the way of actual change.  The bill abolishing the VA might have to run to 2 or 3 pages, because it would have to be long enough to make clear that when the VA ceases to exist, Federal employment would immediately cease for anyone on its payroll at that date.

3 is fine with me.  But it presupposes 2, plus ample resources to the Solicitor General to fight all the court cases that the ci-devant VA administrators and staffers would be bringing.

By the way, we don't uniquely need a President Trump to do (or push for) these things.  Just a President who wants to get them done.

Robert

10 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Peter,

Here's a speculation.

Michael

Michael,

I haven't seen Larry Sabato's client list.

If you have a copy, please post.

I'll bet most of his clients are media outlets.  Maybe some state and local campaigns.  He's never identified as running a Republican outfit (like Rasmussen) or a Democratic outfit (like PPP).

And Presidential campaigns do internal polling.  Maybe even Trump does it.  If he's too cheap to, then he might be farming something out.

IMHO, Sabato's main fault is excessive aversion to risk, when he's in the business of making uncertain predictions.  Didn't always serve him well in 2014, if I recall.

Comparing a guy like Sabato to Dick Morris is absurd.  Morris is a sleazeball who was tolerated as long as he could leaven his inside dirt on Bill and Hillary with election predictions that were mildly accurate.  When he failed, big time, in 2012, Roger Ailes let him go without a second thought.

You ought to consider why a lot of Republican delegates might be motivated to dump Trump as soon as they're allowed to, instead of blaming Sabato for suggesting they would.

Like I said, Sabato never likes to go out on a limb.

Robert

Nothing about THE PLAN, the grand cabal involving the pyramids and the masonic order, the plot to Stop Trump. Just this from Cruz,  to my mailbox. Peter

Violent rallies, verbal assaults, social media intimidation, personal harassment...and now DEATH THREATS: Vote Trump Or Else: Roger Stone Threatens Angry Trump Fans To Visit Delegate HOTEL ROOMS - Red State Delegates face death threats from Trump supporters – Politico  GOPers face Wave of Threats from Trump Fans Incensed by Delegate Counts - Talking Points Memo. If you don't support Donald Trump -- and you have the guts to speak out against him -- you are a prime target of Donald Trump and his henchman. That's why I've asked my campaign to establish a Delegate Defense Fund -- and I'm asking you to help me fund it.

I just gotta say that this, you guys. The Trump versus Cruz political battle is positively fascinating! :)

Unlike past years... this time California will actually matter in the primaries. 172 winner-take-all delegates is a hefty prize. I like both Cruz and Trump for different reasons and believe that either of them will make a better President than Clinton...

...so for me this is a win/win situation.

Greg

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Why is it I have a feeling you would ask me for proof that Neil Bush is influenced by his family?

Michael,

Influenced to do what?

Talk Ted Cruz into running for President, as Plan B in case Jeb! failed..

Convey all the marching orders from Dubya and Jeb! now that all their marbles are on Ted...

There are a lot of things one might miss, if awakened from one's dogmatic slumbers only in the summer of 2015, and only by Donald Trump's call to arms.

Robert Campbell

PS. A piece of the McDaniel vs. Cochran story that I left out was: one member of the Barbour clan (big clan) ended up working for McDaniel.

Aha! Chris McDaniel was just an Establishment plant!