Incandescent 2.0

BaalChatzaf

The classical incandescent glow lamp (light bulb) is very inefficient. Resistance heating produces some light, but mostly heat which is wasted energy if the purpose of the glow lamp it to produce light. A new technology developed at MIT can "recycle" the heat of an incandescent filament and reflect it back to the filament as heat which means less electricity is required to keep the filament hot. The efficiency of this enhanced incandescent glow lamp can match that of compact fluorescent lamps and low end l.e.d. lamps. Please see: http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2015.309.html

Ba'al Chatzaf

That's interesting. I wonder if the government would allow it. Technically, of course, there's not enough information for much of an OL discussion. Economically, there's no information at all: too new; too soon.

--Brant

Right now the new type of incandescent is in the prototype phase. There are issues in addition to efficiency. There is the matter of longevity. I have CFC's in my house that I have not needed to replace for three years. LED lamps will outlast CFC's by a factor of 2 to 3. Eventually we may be able to leave our LED lamps to our children when we pass on. LEDs are way to expensive which is why I do not use them. But if they come down in price by a factor of 2 I will and I will never have to change a light bulb again.

How many nerds does it take to change an LED glow lamp. Answer; 0, because they never burn out.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 2 weeks later...

I think led technology is great, for flashlights etc. The battery cost for maintaining a high lumen light is high too.

The cost multiple is about 3 times more for leds vs incandescents. The rooms I use that get cycled most often and left on longer are the main culprits. I have no problem changing bulbs every yr or so vs paying a theoretical once for every 3 through the snoozola. Spare me the science, I dont count pennies or measure watts on the electrical bill. Its going to take time to accept the price differential so I keep leds in one fixture that is used repeatedly and often to inform my seat o the pants meter whether theres anything more to the of dazzle them wit yer brillance, baffle dem wit bs claims. )

I think led technology is great, for flashlights etc. The battery cost for maintaining a high lumen light is high too.

The cost multiple is about 3 times more for leds vs incandescents. The rooms I use that get cycled most often and left on longer are the main culprits. I have no problem changing bulbs every yr or so vs paying a theoretical once for every 3 through the snoozola. Spare me the science, I dont count pennies or measure watts on the electrical bill. Its going to take time to accept the price differential so I keep leds in one fixture that is used repeatedly and often to inform my seat o the pants meter whether theres anything more to the of dazzle them wit yer brillance, baffle dem wit bs claims. )

On an individual basis the impetus for switching away from classical incandescent is not that overwhelming. However the global effects can be quite startling. Use of CFL and eventual LED (when the price comes down some) on entire networks or girds will be measurable and significant. That will mean that electrical networks and grids will not be under usage pressure as much so the forces pushing for more grid construction will be lessened. Another bonus is the average load on the grid will be lowered making grid failure less likely. Grids fail mostly when that are working at maximum capacity.

I have switched over to CFL for the past 15 years. The prices as come way down and they glow lamps really last a long time. Changing a bulb has now become An Event in my house. If the prices of LED comes down by a factor of 2 I will switch as the CFLs fail. The LEDs last so long I can leave them to my grandchildren.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The LEDs last so long I can leave them to my grandchildren.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ha ha. Your will, "And finally to you, the lights of my life, I leave to you all, to be distributed, in equal shares, my LEDs. Perhaps a more suitable gift than money but could earn you the title eccentric grandfather. Just kidding. )