Rand's ethics in an academic business-management journal

merjet

There are three articles in The Academy of Management Review, a prominent academic business-management journal, that address Rand's ethics. The first champions Rand. The second, a response to the first, is critical. The third responds to the second. The main topic is integrity.

1. Integrity in Organizations: Beyond Honesty and Conscientiousness, by Thomas E. Becker.

2. Objections to an Objectivist Approach to Integrity, by Bruce Barry and Carroll U. Stephens.

3. Rebuttal to a Subjectivist Critique of an Objectivist Approach to Integrity in Organizations, by Edwin A. Locke and Becker.

They can be read online with a free account at JSTOR after putting it on "your shelf."

Nice catch, Merlin! I cited these works extensively in an undergraduate sociology paper on business ethics. I got an A on the paper and an A in the course, but I doubt that my professor actually read this, or the other papers. It was all halo effect.

In addition to your citations.

• Locke, Edwin A., “Reviewed Work(s):A Review of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand,” The Academy of Management Review, Vol. 14, No. 1. (Jan., 1989), pp. 100-103.
  • Weiss, Richard M. “Politics and Organizational Science,” The Academy of Management Review, Vol.. 23, No. 3 (Jul, 1998), pp 389-191.

• Locke, Edwin A., and Thomas E. Becker, “Locke and Becker's Reply to Weiss,” The Academy of Management Review, Vol. 23, No. 3. (Jul., 1998), pp. 391-392.

• Orlitzky, Marc and David Jacobs, “A Candid and Modest Proposal: The Brave New World of Objectivism,” The Academy of Management Review, Vol. 23, No. 4, Oct. 1989, pp. 656-658

• Locke, Edwin A., and Thomas E. Becker, “Objectivism's Answer to the Sad, Old World of Subjectivism,” The Academy of Management Review, Vol. 23, No. 4. (Oct., 1998), pp. 658-659.

Full paper on Google Docs (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1usbodrlpcimvthhKE_gA_0PeH60SOTTZcXDvzktYJz0/edit?hl=en)

linked from my Washtenaw Justice archives here: https://sites.google.com/site/washtenawjustice/ethics/ethics-in-business