Date Taken

Aug 2, 2015, 7:26:15 AM

Software

Capture One 9 Windows

Manual mode

Auto ISO

Matrix metering -.67 EV

Lens used is the 400mm f2.8E FL ED VR

I started out about 50 yards away, full camo, stop, shoot, wait for him to start feeding, move 5 yards closer, stop shoot. I believe the closest I got was about 30, maybe25 yards.(crap maybe closer I can't remember) There was no point in getting closer even if I wanted to because all I would get was an eyeball and some fur. I DO pay very close attention to any que he may be upset. He never once looked at me. You can sure tell it wasn't hunting season, he didn't pay much attention to me and was just pigging out. I like very much when they treat you like a ghost and do their normal day to day behaviour.

These guys are weird like that. Some days you can't get within 300 yards without spooking them.

Granted, this fellow was close to Jasper national park but not IN the park itself, but come September he most likely heads in so he is more than likely very used to human proximity without getting shot at.

Thanks!

I hope you're keeping a journal of the stories of your photo hunts, like above. They'll be a great pairing with the images should you ever compile a picture book!

J

• 2 weeks later...

So my Owl canvas arrived, I ordered a 20x13.88 canvas, glossy finish with black framing on the sides.  WOW!  The quality is awesome!  My wife said it looks like a Robert Bateman!

Color reproduction is spot on(not that there was much color in the capture) but the grey tones and image sharpness are perfectly reproduced (yay calibrated monitor!)

image.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jules Troy said:

I thougght perhaps I should do a little landscape while I waited for some wildlife.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/maligne-lake-spring-thaw-jestephotography-ltd.html

Nice shot - that reflection at 10 o'clock makes the shot for me.

Off center frames the expanse for my visual pleasure...

A...

• 2 weeks later...

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-boss-of-columbia-icefields-jestephotography-ltd.html

Very little cropping, about 800 pixels off the long edge and 200 off the short edge for composition.

No noise reduction required in post due to the low ISO.  This is as sharp as it gets guys.

Camera Data

Make
NIKON CORPORATION
Model
NIKON D4S
Shutter Speed
1/640 second
Aperture
F/8.0
Focal Length
400 mm
ISO Speed

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the distinction between fine art and un-fine art?

22 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

What is the distinction between fine art and un-fine art?

I don't know about the distinction, but you can get Bachelor and Master degrees at university for the first, but not for the second.  

Another distinction that can be drawn is in slightly differing connotations: "There is a fine art to persuasion" ... "There is a fine art to lying convincingly" ... "There is  a fine art to argument."  In other words, a fine art is a result of some congeries of skill, talent, dedication, education, understanding and carefully applied effort.  This is perhaps why the Kamhi/Torres limits to art are drawn so tightly around their favourites: they do not consider the walled-off productions as actual art at all, let alone wonderfully fine and for connoisseurs of the best.

Otherwise, Google is our friend.

3 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

In other words, a fine art is a result of some congeries of skill, talent, dedication, education, understanding and carefully applied effort.  This is perhaps why the Kamhi/Torres limits to art are drawn so tightly around their favourites: they do not consider the walled-off productions as actual art at all, let alone wonderfully fine and for connoisseurs of the best.

The problem is that Tamhi&Korres™ don't actually have any technical knowledge of how to judge how much skill, talent, understanding, effort, etc., are involved in the various art forms that they reject. They've expressed the view, or agreed with others' expressing it, that if anyone can do it (or if a child can do it) then it's not "fine" art. The thing that they neglect is the part where they prove that they or "anyone" or "a child" could accomplish what they are implying took little or no talent.

Usually the issue is that such people don't possess the awareness to see everything that is involved in a work of art -- they're so unobservant and unaware that they personally can't recognize the difference between an abstract painting created by a seasoned adult artist and one created by a child, where other people see the differences as being quite obvious. We've seen that limited, unobservant mindset here on OL when someone posted a splatter image which was created by a little girl, and the aesthetically inept and frantic anti-abstraction crusaders couldn't tell the difference between it and a Pollock. They couldn't see Pollock's color palette selectivity, the intentional flow and proportion of the strokes, etc.

So, we're back to where we always land, which is on the question that the Objectivist arts guru-wannabes always evade: If we are to be truly objective and rational, then before listening to guru-wannabes' judgments of artists' skills, talents, education, understanding, effort, etc., shouldn't we first demand that the guru-wannabes provide us with objective proof of their fitness to make such judgments?

J

On December 20, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Jules Troy said:

One of my favourite types of photography, well ok it is my very favourite type of photography:birds in flight.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/short-eared-owl-graceful-jestephotography-ltd.html

Took me over a week to get this shot! Finding them and just waiting for the right moment.

I'm justing bumping the above post as a reminder to myself that I still want to buy a print later this year when I can figure out the details of print and size and where to hang it.

J