Looking to meet Objectivists

objectiveMan

There are some girls here. Just sayin'. :smile:

Hi, nice to meet you.

Now is the time to ask what her sign is...oops...nevermind...

What sign?

Sorry...bad joke about vacuous lines at clubs by guys who have the brain depth of an Obama voter.

Astrological...

A....

Sorry...bad joke about vacuous lines at clubs by guys who have the brain depth of an Obama voter.

Astrological...

A....

C'mon, he's Finnish! You gotta explain it better than that!

Here's the deal, Pekka: if you need an opening line to start a conversation with a potential mate, "what's your sign?", as in the zodiac sign you were born under, is widely regarded as among the worst. A cringe inducing cliché.

A Pynchonian idea, or rather, an idea I got inspired by a character in a Pynchon novel, is a woman who wants to hookup to be on the receiving end of quality oral sex, and uses the "what's your sign?" line on the theory that Pisces is the best sign for what she's seeking, and she may as well weed out her prospects early.

Hi there!

I just joined the forum. I am a passionate objectivist and I am looking to meet like minded people here. Such a lovely forum you have.

Are you interested in finding flesh and blood friends and romantic partners in Finland, before you emigrate? If so, you might want to join the website Atlasphere. Their mission ...

The Atlasphere's mission is to bring together admirers of Ayn Rand's novels, from around the globe, to network both personally and professionally.

There is a dating component -- an Objectivish version of Match.com. I can only imagine how far and few between are Objectivists in Finland; I understand there is a firmly entrenched 'right' party and political orientation but that could easily be the equivalent of evangelical conservatives in the USA -- godbothered and non-Objectivist, freaked out by atheism. I have searched for a formal or informal Objectivist organization in Finland, but I have not found one yet.

Hey, Comrade Sonia's now single, no?

Maybe we should fix her up with Pekka!

J

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match...

I'm doubtful. But let's see what he thinks.

dh_300.jpg

Personally, I find this lady more attractive:

Philmarm.jpg

Personally, I find this lady more attractive:

Philmarm.jpg

And so P.C.

I have to say Dennis that this image is brilliant and I will always cherish all that it represented.

I wonder if there is a braille version...

A...

Here's the deal, Pekka: if you need an opening line to start a conversation with a potential mate, "what's your sign?", as in the zodiac sign you were born under, is widely regarded as among the worst. A cringe inducing cliché.

Thanks for the explanation. :smile: I guessed that's what it means, but I didn't get the joke.

Are you interested in finding flesh and blood friends and romantic partners in Finland, before you emigrate? If so, you might want to join the website Atlasphere. Their mission ...

The Atlasphere's mission is to bring together admirers of Ayn Rand's novels, from around the globe, to network both personally and professionally.

There is a dating component -- an Objectivish version of Match.com. I can only imagine how far and few between are Objectivists in Finland; I understand there is a firmly entrenched 'right' party and political orientation but that could easily be the equivalent of evangelical conservatives in the USA -- godbothered and non-Objectivist, freaked out by atheism. I have searched for a formal or informal Objectivist organization in Finland, but I have not found one yet.

Thank you for the tip. I did look at Atlasphere and even registered there, but it appeared you couldn't do much without paid membership. Also it didn't really interest me, for some reason. I might try it though at some point, who knows.

We have different parties in politics, sure, but the political "middle" is heavily to the "left" compared to USA. So, our "right" is basically what the Democrats are in USA. And our "left" is basically what the "extreme left" would be in USA. This is a rather important distinction to understand I think. So no, there is no political party that would come even close to supporting Objectivist-like values (e.g. capitalism, minimal government).

Maybe we should fix her up with Pekka!

Don't worry about "fixing me up". :smile:

Please let me explain my position. My first goal is to meet people who share my values and views (Objectivists, or at least objectivish, as someone put it). Finding a romantic relationship is secondary, and only made possible when that first condition is filled. My reasoning is that I will enjoy any type of relationship with such a person as I am seeking, romantic or not. And secondly, I do not care to even consider a romantic relationship with a person who does not share my values.

Also, I am not quick to put different types of relationships into clean cut categories. I am open to any interaction with any person, as long as it is mutually beneficial, and both parties are acting for their selfish interest. I want to exchange value for value, as Ayn Rand taught me, and there is no limit to different possibilities of what that may be.

Or, a creative opening line like, "Excuse me Ma'am, ah seem to have misplaced ma Congressional Medal of Honor at my condo, was wonderin whether ya'll would help me look for it."

You can substitute Oscar, or, Nobel Peace prize...

A...

I appreciate the tips, thanks. But honestly, I may need some opening lines which are consistent with Objectivism. Preferably something that will tell me quickly whether or not we are philosophically and politically compatible, so I will not spend too much of my time with a person who is not. Let me know if you think of anything.

I appreciate the tips, thanks. But honestly, I may need some opening lines which are consistent with Objectivism. Preferably something that will tell me quickly whether or not we are philosophically and politically compatible, so I will not spend too much of my time with a person who is not. Let me know if you think of anything.

Sure, you could simply ask about how one should feel about money being the root of all evil...?

You should have handy FIN-100m-anv.jpg