More on the Supreme Court situation.

:) 

Michael

From Politico's weekly round-up of cartoons:

DguhfPMW0AA9NDF.jpg

25 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

From Politico's weekly round-up of cartoons:

DguhfPMW0AA9NDF.jpg

lol My Canada Day resolution is to go cold turkey on my US trash gossip mag addiction.  So goodbye to In Touch, farewell Life and Style - it is a long long way to culture cleansing - but my buck stops there!

(Thank heavens for Hello mag's Canada edition!) Even though it is $2 CDN more. I will pay it proudly out of the proceeds of my Victory Garden.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ford-detroit/ford-to-redevelop-symbol-of-detroit-decline-to-house-tech-workers-idUSKBN1JF2TN

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co executives on Tuesday said the automaker will renovate and revamp Michigan Central Station, Detroit’s infamous blighted landmark, turning it into offices for up to 5,000 tech workers and software engineers focused on self-driving vehicles and ancillary technologies and services.”

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:36 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

On July 9, President Trump will announce his candidate for the new Supreme Court Justice.

Nobody knows who he will pick, but here's a suggestion floating around the Interwebs:

06.30.2018-15.28.png

Michael

oH GOD, that is funny. I know of someone who just moved to WA, but not out of dislike of America. WA is Western Australia and one US dollar gets 1.3 Australian dollars. The average high in their part of the country is 80 degrees, not bad at all, and it gets down to 73 or so in Dec. Jan. Feb, but air conditioning is advised. Their winter is during our summer. 3  percent of the pop. is aboriginal, and you got your usual British Empire people, some expat Americans and Italians. 

"You should read 'The Art of the Deal,' Tony Schwartz!"

25 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

"You should read 'The Art of the Deal,' Tony Schwartz!"

Yeah, um, have you read the book? The commenter above is right.

Is Tony Schwartz trying to take credit for writing it, all of it, and not just being an advisor/editor? If so, it's not something to brag about, writing-wise. People didn't buy the book in order to experience stylistic excellence, novel aesthetic flourishes, and unerring adherence to technical journalistic standards, practices and protocols, but to read about Trump's talents in his profession. The book is not something that has had its word choices and sentence constructions fretted over, retouched and polished. In fact, it is exactly the way that Trump speaks and writes. So, for Schwartz to be making the claim that Trump is incapable of speaking and writing in the way that he speaks and writes just sounds bitter and opportunistic.

J

• Like 1

Heh...

The following used to not be humor. It used to be serious.

What's worse, during the election, a whole lot of geniuses took it seriously.

07.05.2018-11.43.png

Then the election happened. North Korea happened. A whole lot of good happened.

Man, have standards of intelligence dropped...

Especially among the self-proclaimed smart people who hate President Trump.

btw - A quote by President Trump (from here):

...  I made Tony rich. He owes a lot to me. I helped him when he didn’t have two cents in his pocket.

And it's true.

Tony sure sounds like someone to believe in, huh?

Smart, too...

:evil:  :) 

Michael

Tony Schwartz has turned into a Very Lit Up commentator on Trump. His worst offense in my eyes is thinking he can diagnose Narcissistic Personality Disorder and from that Dx advance to horror scenarios that just veer away from Everyone Dies Horribly.  You Americans must get tired of all the posturing and histrionics.  (I confess I check in often on one of the boo hiss anti-Q Nevah! Trump whisperers, Rick Wilson. He knows how to set cognitive furnaces to fury with a few deft strokes of language. Even if you want him and his haterous ass in Guantanamo, his essays can be gems of Hateful Histrionics. His up and coming featurette is "Everything Trump Touches Dies."  If you don't like pickled or fermented fish, you won't like Rick Wilson, but at least check out one of his mini-operas: Donald Trump, the Insecure Pledge in the Dictatorship Fraternity.)

-- for me, the ironic thing about a Schwartz performance in the ring as Trump Ghost Whisperer is that his own fortune is half-tied to the President and the successful Trump brand! Having dealt himself only fifty percent of contracted royalties, the President will be feeding generations of Schwartzes, if they invest wisely. Kinda cute that Schwartz went full-bore reverse-Q Hollywood Squares "lit up like a Mooch or Avenatti" ... in any case, whose story of how the book was confected are you gonna believe?** 

The thing I try to keep in mind is that Schwartz 'ghosted' Trump in a way few biographers get to and that other ghost-whisperers haven't. His insights may be scrambled by emotion, but who is to say his aggregate mind-reading isn't better than mine or yours, given his one-time access to the man?

Anyhow, to bleed the peculiar ironic bit dry and turn its salivary glands and lymph nodes into tariffed-up-the-yin-yang American-made chorizo ...

The '"You should read X, numbskull" directed at the author of X" is a genre of Twitter fun+smug.  It's only funny once you realize the other guy didn't brief too hard before hitting "Tweet."

171016003.jpg

TonySchwartzCrazyTrump.png

** I liked hearing stories about how really productive writers used aides to help to get the books out year after year. Erle Stanley Gardner and Barbara Cartland used stenographers and recorders to not only dictate stories, but also to give research and plotting assignments (poison, ballistics, South Sea Bubble, the emergence of pink in UK fashion and wiggery).  How Donald J Trump used so-called ghostwriters (real ghostwriters don't get credit) to get his books out is probably just as interesting, him being not primarily known for his writing abilities (no secret and fascinatingly informed and acute "Letters from Donald" will occupy the future Presidential Library).

Cartland apparently dictated in full photo-shoot glory, and in the last few of her hundreds of romances had to be reminded of the protagonists' names. 

It seems likely that there won't be a fresh Donald J Trump plus Named Helper bestseller released until 2025 or so. I have a sort of curiosity about his choice of up-front ghost. How many have been used twice?

† -- 'Starting in late 1985, Schwartz spent eighteen months with Trump—camping out in his office, joining him on his helicopter, tagging along at meetings, and spending weekends with him at his Manhattan apartment and his Florida estate. During that period, Schwartz felt, he had got to know him better than almost anyone else outside the Trump family. Until Schwartz posted the tweet, though, he had not spoken publicly about Trump for decades. It had never been his ambition to be a ghostwriter, and he had been glad to move on. But, as he watched a replay of the new candidate holding forth for forty-five minutes, he noticed something strange: over the decades, Trump appeared to have convinced himself that he had written the book. Schwartz recalls thinking, “If he could lie about that on Day One—when it was so easily refuted—he is likely to lie about anything.”' [link]

Edited by william.scherk
Added bit of ''access" reporting. "Did you read the credits on the cover of the book, young person?" I was a hulking male stenographer and interview recorder with the man. You?"

Since this is a humor thread, here is some more humor about Tony Schwartz.

A belly laugh, actually.

Tony Schwartz is so disturbed about his collaboration with President Trump, and is so embarrassed about the fame and fortune he earned from it, he is going to give all the money he made from The Art of the Deal to charity.

Oops...

I guess not...

:evil:  :) 

Maybe he's too narcissistic for his self-proclaimed virtue...

Or greedy...

Michael

The new civil war?

ac3_20180702edhoca.jpeg

1 hour ago, william.scherk said:

The new civil war?

ac3_20180702edhoca.jpeg

The idea of a "new civil war" is yet another leftist media sub-fad of the Narrative. The left is currently as much at war with itself as it is with the right.

Is this the Humor aisle? MSN was showing the top twenty democratic nominees for President in 2020. Hilarious. They even had Joe Biden in the mix and he is too old to be of use. Who will come out of the wood work? Where is America’s young Trudeau’s? Are there no Kennedy’s left?

Trump may be a senior except he isn’t lame brained . . . mistakes are made by everyone . . . just try going to the store after memorizing the shopping list. My President is an oldie but a goodie, as sharp as the “other senior from high school in many ways. He is a self-made person epistemologically. The secret of his good life: it’s in the genes and volition, and from living a very good lifestyle. I see no signs of a failing Ronald Reagan there, so I predict he will be at the top of the heap from 2020 till the end of his second term in 2024.

I read some of Vice President Pence’s speech to Hillsdale College and I am not impressed with him. He spouts too much religion. I know, every candidate may get slammed for too much religious campaigning (remember the left’s expose of Sarah Palin?) but Mike is a true believer, in a not so good way. I am taking the time to slam him before 2024, because I am seriously opposed to his continuing candidacy. He does mix religion and politics. "I got that old time religion, that old time religion . . ."

Another humorous tidbit? I don’t think any “Trump packed Supreme Court” will ever overturn Roe V. Wade. As Dana Carvey playing President George H. W. Bush used to parody, “Not gunna happen. Wouldn’t be prudent.” The States and the AMA establishment already, legally or morally, ban late term abortions. The average age of retirement from The Supreme Court is 80. And 50 plus percent of the population is female. Who knew? Not the morons on the left who are trying to make an issue out of it. Peter          

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

The idea of a "new civil war" is yet another leftist media sub-fad of the Narrative. The left is currently as much at war with itself as it is with the right.

Jonathan,

The civil war rhetoric is a media thing and nothing more. Fringe stuff to talk about, but nothing more. People like to read about it and bicker from behind a computer screen, but nobody is ready to do any serious fighting. Not the left, not the right, not anybody in the vast majority.

There are fast food joints all over America and American people suffer from an obesity problem, not the kind of oppression problem that generates civil wars. Americans are simply too fat to fight. (Apparently, me too. :) ) 

I heard one guy say that when you see McDonald's and Burger King shutting down en masse, that will be the canary in the coal mine that a civil war is a real threat.

Michael

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

Is this the Humor aisle? MSN was showing the top twenty democratic nominees for President in 2020. Hilarious. They even had Joe Biden in the mix and he is too old to be of use. Who will come out of the wood work? Where is America’s young Trudeau’s? Are there no Kennedy’s left?

Trump may be a senior except he isn’t lame brained . . . mistakes are made by everyone . . . just try going to the store after memorizing the shopping list. My President is an oldie but a goodie, as sharp as the “other senior from high school in many ways. He is a self-made person epistemologically. The secret of his good life: it’s in the genes and volition, and from living a very good lifestyle. I see no signs of a failing Ronald Reagan there, so I predict he will be at the top of the heap from 2020 till the end of his second term in 2024.

I read some of Vice President Pence’s speech to Hillsdale College and I am not impressed with him. He spouts too much religion. I know, every candidate may get slammed for too much religious campaigning (remember the left’s expose of Sarah Palin?) but Mike is a true believer, in a not so good way. I am taking the time to slam him before 2024, because I am seriously opposed to his continuing candidacy. He does mix religion and politics. "I got that old time religion, that old time religion . . ."

Another humorous tidbit? I don’t think any “Trump packed Supreme Court” will ever overturn Roe V. Wade. As Dana Carvey playing President George H. W. Bush used to parody, “Not gunna happen. Wouldn’t be prudent.” The States and the AMA establishment already, legally or morally, ban late term abortions. The average age of retirement from The Supreme Court is 80. And 50 plus percent of the population is female. Who knew? Not the morons on the left who are trying to make an issue out of it. Peter          

Obama was able to bring the happy cheery vibe. He knew that he had to lie in order to do it, but he knew that voters respond to hope and inspiration. No one on the left today understands how to hide their true intentions and to paint the lies as being about bringing about a bright future. "We're going to cover tens of millions of new people via government involvement, and in doing so actually reduce the cost!" was always pure bullshit, but they knew that it would at least sell to some stupid people where the truth, "We're going to make you pay a hell of a lot more," wouldn't have worked.

Kamala Harris is the only one that I've seen who can pull off the Obama style of happy lying, but she can only do it for about 45 seconds at a time, and then slips back into lefty anger let's-punish-people mode.

I think that Trump would destroy the ass clowns Sanders and Warren. Biden is a doddering mess. Kerry has zero appeal and charisma.

They need the rise of a positive moderate, but I don't think that's going to happen.

J

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Jonathan,

The civil war rhetoric is a media thing and nothing more. People like to read about it and bicker from behind a computer screen, but nobody is ready to do any serious fighting. Not the left, not the right, not anybody in the vast majority.

There are fast food joints all over America and American people suffer from an obesity problem, not the kind of oppression problem that generates civil wars. Americans are simply too fat to fight. (Apparently, me too. :) ) 

I heard one guy say that when you see McDonald's and Burger King shutting down en masse, that will be the canary in the coal mine that a civil war is a real threat.

Michael

Yup, it's bluff. We're supposed to be afraid of the cidiot Antifa band-geeks and chess-club-dropout-stoners pulling off a putsch. The left press thinks that they've put some scary imagery into our heads which will make us second-guess ourselves.

They're hoping everyone is thinking, "Oh no, what if those thugs bring their civil war down on me because they heard that I support smaller government?!!!"

What the right is actually thinking is something more like, "Throwing some legitimate self-defense throat punches and upper cuts against overconfident sissies might be a hell of a lot of fun. One of us against ten of them? Hmmm, that's almost enough of them to start making it a challenge!"

J

Speaking of cidiots, have you seen this:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/luxury-tents-gourmet-meals-redefine-camping-nyc-island-110110724.html

These assholes think that this is "luxury" or "glamour" camping!!!

A fenced-in dirt patch with three trees. It looks like a refugee facility that was thrown together at the last minute.

Absolutely pathetic.

J

46 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Speaking of cidiots, have you seen this:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/luxury-tents-gourmet-meals-redefine-camping-nyc-island-110110724.html

These assholes think that this is "luxury" or "glamour" camping!!!

A fenced-in dirt patch with three trees. It looks like a refugee facility that was thrown together at the last minute.

Absolutely pathetic.

J

Even if I were younger, I would not live like that. Can you imagine trying to have a "romantic interlude" in one of those tents? I am even leery of too much glass on a house, and especially on a door. A peep hole is all I want on a door. And now I am afraid to look in the peep hole and not just in a hotel because I think of all the cliched movies with silenced pistols blowing people's brains out. "Delivery from the hotel staff. A free bottle of champagne! Pop."     

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Even if I were younger, I would not live like that. Can you imagine trying to have a "romantic interlude" in one of those tents?

Hell no. It is SOOOO lacking in romance. It looks like a concentration camp.

J

8 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Your point is correct, in a way, except

that in  the real Civil War narrative, there was a story which compelied many  and helped get it started. Even "a littl e woman who started a great big war". Not a Kellyanne Conway type little woman, I believe Kellyanne is quite tall