andy_marlette_andy_marlette_for_may_16_2

On 5/21/2016 at 10:59 PM, Mikee said:

Trump-Hulk.jpg

The Incredible Drumpf....

I found this hilarious ...

Edited by william.scherk
Added "I found this hilarious"

William,

This is the Trump humor thread, not the Trump-bashing thread (not look what a hypocrite he is, that kind of message, without any humor added).

Post this stuff here if you will, but it is like putting a criticism of the fertilizer used in organic peanut farming in a recipe for peanut brittle. 

Some people might be interested in these kinds of thread drifts, but, in general, not those who are interested in preparing food for their next meal.

May I suggest the normal Trump thread for this stuff?

:) 

Michael

I'm putting this link in "Trump Humor" even though it is not exactly humor.

(It's to humor our dear anti-Trump friends. :) )

First, a little background.

I study creative writing. A lot.

A Canadian science fiction genre writer, Matt Hughes, hit my radar and I've read his excellent writing advice in sporadic places on the Interwebs. So I did a Google search on him to find out what other goodies he might have. Without boring you with the details, I came across this most curious story. He wrote it recently--inspired by Donald Trump's performance in the Republican primaries. The story is for free on his website.

Loser

Here's the introductory blurb:

There’s a thing in this writing game called a “maggot.” It’s an old-fashioned, even archaic, term for an idea that gets into a writer’s head and won’t leave until it’s been turned into a story. I got bitten by one – or infiltrated or penetrated or whatever verb you like – as I was watching the unfolding (collapsing?) shambles of the Republican primary process in February. So I sat down and wrote “Loser” in a few days, just to get rid of it.

I tried to place it with two of the magazines I normally sell to, but they work on long lead times and there was every chance this story would move out of the category of “what if” and into that of “alternate universe” in a matter of weeks. And, though no one mentioned it, there was the possible problem of “what if it really happens?”

So I thought, what the hell, I’ll put it up and give it away. So here it is. Make of it what you will.

After getting so much value from Matt Hughes's writing advice, I was disappointed to see he didn't like Trump.

Heh.

Let's just say he really, really, really doesn't like Trump. "Loser" is a grim dystopian story about America and Canada after Trump takes over. 

It's probably not Hughes's best work (and given the nature of the protagonist, Rand it ain't), but he is a good competent genre writer so it's well written.

Enjoy if you will, you anti-Trumpers!

Michael

Funnyman Scott Adams said:

Clinton’s “thin-skinned” insult for Trump is a solid Linguistic Kill Shot. And it’s the first weapons-grade language I have seen from their camp.

Looks like they got a new advisor. It isn’t me. Apparently my $2.5 billion price tag was too high.

Source: Now It's a Fair Fight

19949111-large.jpg

3 hours ago, william.scherk said:

OK.

Fair fight it is...

And that's not even Trump.

It's the fringe (Alex Jones's people). This was just posted on YouTube. 

Just watch how that thing goes viral. (That virality is why they pegged a full minute of ads on the end--after the 2.5 minute clip.)

Michael

EDIT: When I started to write this post, the video had around 1,700 views. As I posted it and was closing the browser tabs, I refreshed the YouTube video page to see if the views increased and it already had around 2,300 views. I am going to look one more time right now--right this very minute--before I hit the SAVE button for this edit: over 2,500 views. :) 

6 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Funnyman Scott Adams said:

Clinton’s “thin-skinned” insult for Trump is a solid Linguistic Kill Shot. And it’s the first weapons-grade language I have seen from their camp.

Looks like they got a new advisor. It isn’t me. Apparently my $2.5 billion price tag was too high.

Source: Now It's a Fair Fight

William,

There's something about this that has been bothering me for a long time re Scott Adams. I finally put my finger on it.

Granted, persuasion tactics work and Trump is doing most of what Adams is identifying. However, there is one element they teach in Internet Marketing that Adams does not cover (at least in the stuff I have read so far): Expertise.

White hat Internet Marketers all make courses aimed at getting you to be perceived as an expert in your field, then you do the marketing on top of that. Once your public perceives you are the expert, nothing a competitor can say will penetrate their high regard for you. Not only that, you can charge a lot more money.

Maybe you can get stung if there is a huge PR effort by everybody with no defenders to stand up for you, but once you have people believing you are the go-to guy and your shit works, the rest is accompaniment, not the song.

Trump is perceived as a doer by his core people. He knows how to finish huge projects on time, under budget and with high quality. He knows how to manage large staffs of people, keep them productive, and demand excellence from them.

This is why all the anti-Trump word games about racism, bigotry, con man, bankruptcy, etc. etc. etc. don't take.

And this is a reason I don't believe Adams's claim that “thin-skinned” is an effective Linguistic Kill Shot for him. It doesn't get under the huge doer expert veneer. If Trump did not have that expert image in the minds of people, I do agree it would be a good one.

At this point, I don't know what kind of Linguistic Kill Shot would be effective for him. In the beginning, when he was rambling a lot and people were calling him dishonest, I would have gone with something like "Dirty Donald" or something like that. The important thing would have been to NOT step on his competence since that is what people think about him on their own. They know he is competent, so calling him Drumph, buffoon, and things like that don't make any impact on them. But people know he has had shady dealings and nobody knows how many. So a Linguistic Kill Shot could exaggerate that aspect in their minds and take.

As it stands, I think it's too late for words alone to work much anymore. People saw with their own eyes what he just did to 16 cunning Republican politicians, the mainstream media, and the entire elitist backroom crowd to boot--not with dirty backroom stuff, but out in the open brawling. And people like it.

If there's some way to penetrate that, like getting people to think Trump is a pussy about something, that might work. They don't mind thin-skinned and they don't mind Trump U or any of that other stuff. Hell, they don't even mind Trump powwowing with the establishment so long as he looks like he is in control. In people's minds, Trump took his lumps, made some mistakes, but always got back up and did magnificent stuff.

That's exactly what they want. Words are the icing, not the cake.

Michael

Saturdays tend to be among the slowest days on OL. This doesn't seem to fit, but hey. I thought the implications of the headline were hilarious, though Clinton was presumably the straight man to the editor.

nick_anderson_current_cartoon_2016-06-02

Bizarre but hypnotic.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F

46 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Trump goes manga anime and wins the girl's heart.

Michael

I thought it somewhat cute.  When the Japanese are not busy crashing planes into our ships,  they come up with some pretty interesting stuff.