http://lasteelshow.org/main/?p=888

Not much of a hero there.

Bob, let it go.

He flew 28 missions.

I did not.

You did not.

Thank him for his service and move on.

A...

The link is to a crackpot site. I can't take it seriously, and, if you do, I can't take you seriously.

Correct.

Bob you know better too.

A...

Just read the Wikipedia entry. This article Bob linked to garbled up his decorations. He only had a Bronze Star and a Legion of Merit when he was shot down. That got him a Purple Heart and a Distinguished Flying Cross. I assume that the rest of the decorations were for his conduct as a POW.

--Brant

and this didn't deserve a new thread either

universa-finger-wag.gif

David Foster Wallace wrote a brilliant piece on McCain back in 2000, which can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Consider-Lobster-Essays-Foster-Wallace/dp/0316013323/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1437526941&sr=8-4&keywords=david+foster+wallace

or on audiobook, here:

http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memoirs/McCains-Promise-Audiobook/B002V8MV4M/ref=a_search_c4_2_5_srTtl?qid=1437527013&sr=2-5

He covers the military record and POW stuff movingly, offers thought provoking political commentary, and is funny as can be. Someone's bound to upload the relevant part to YouTube in the wake of Trump's ill-advised comment, but for now I only find this snippet:

Just read the Wikipedia entry. This article Bob linked to garbled up his decorations. He only had a Bronze Star and a Legion of Merit when he was shot down. That got him a Purple Heart and a Distinguished Flying Cross. I assume that the rest of the decorations were for his conduct as a POW.

--Brant

and this didn't deserve a new thread either

That's for sure. It belongs in something that has a lid.

Have a look at this.

http://lasteelshow.org/main/?p=888

Not much of a hero there.

Bob, let it go.

He flew 28 missions.

I did not.

You did not.

Thank him for his service and move on.

A...

Service towards whom?

What do you think a person born in 1946 would be thanking a soldier for:

1) dating my sister;

2) marrying my sister after she got pregnant, with some 12 gauge encouragement; or

3) his time in the United States military.

Come on, you can do this...

A...

• 2 weeks later...

I would hope that somebody born after 1946 would believe that all wars the US has fought within their lifetime were wastes of lives and resources

No idea what the references to a sister are about.

Interesting answer.

In terms of Peikoff, what were the top three foundational concepts you resonated with?

A...

I would hope that somebody born after 1946 would believe that all wars the US has fought within their lifetime were wastes of lives and resources

Interesting answer.

In terms of Peikoff, what were the top three foundational concepts you resonated with?

A...

WW2 was the last "good" war. And any benefits we derived from it have been thoroughly pissed away...

WW2 was the last "good" war. And any benefits we derived from it have been thoroughly pissed away...

Well you do not count Bob, because the all knowing RR eliminated your opinion since you were not born after 1946.

Be nice to him, he is not too quick and apparently was able to listen to 70+ Peikoff podcasts.

A...

listening to 70+ Peikoff podcasts?!

I'd rather endure a colonoscopy prep.

no shit.

-J

Well you do not count Bob, because the all knowing RR eliminated your opinion since you were not born after 1946.

Be nice to him, he is not too quick and apparently was able to listen to 70+ Peikoff podcasts.

A...

Resorting to ad hominem is a sign that you are wrong.

People born before 1946's opinions count, it's when they try to use their age as leverage in an argument that's the problem.

@Selene, not sure what you're talking about regarding Peikoff. I've listened to some of his podcasts but haven't read his books (and am not sure if they're worth reading).

This is an ad hominem thread, so complaining about it beyond that is rather besides the point. Ad hominem is as ad hominem does. The irrational here is set in stone. Everybody here is here for the ad hominem fun. You too. Nice to take a break from all the constant OL rationality.

--Brant

Bob shouldn't have started it, but now I thank him; I love fun, such as the fun of playing in the mud when I was a kid

• Like 1

"Resorting to ad hominem is a sign that you are wrong."

It's also a sign someone is being very tiresome and not worth bothering with. If you piss people off enough they will call you a fucking idiot. Calling you a slow learner is pretty mild. [warning: unsolicited irrational insults follow] Peikoff is a fucking idiot, what do you call people who listen to dozens of podcasts of fucking idiots? A: slow learners.

Disclaimer: With disgust I slammed the first book I had picked up with Peikoff's name on it back onto the bookshelf, I think it was at a Barnes & Noble, and swore I'd never read anything from him again. I still will not. I was excited to see a new book with Ayn Rand's name of it, Peikoff's smarmy writings were a disappointment to say the least. Ayn had been dead maybe three years, I considered LP a carrion eater, nothing with Ayn alive, has made a living off of her, withheld access to her writings, generally been a pain in the ass all of these years. It's too bad any real admirer of Ayn Rand has to deal with him. Well, they don't really.

[just having fun]

Interesting answer.

A...

Is there a reason that you avoided answering the Peikoff question?

Seasoned citizens are curious...

A...

If you're interested in studying Objectivism extensively and intensively I suggest a linear approach starting with Atlas Shrugged (Galt's Speech especially) and ending with Peikoff's Objectivism, the Philosophy of Ayn Rand and then jumping in and out of this and that respecting it. Starting out with podcasts is all wrong even if the material is all right as such. I can't further comment on that for I doubt if I've heard more than 10 minutes of them. If one were to study dogism one wouldn't start with the tail and immediately jump to a generalization about the animal and state your preference for cats.

--Brant

Interesting answer.

A...

Seasoned citizens are curious...

A...

I didn't dodge it, I admitted I don't know much about Peikoff's work... furthermore I'm not sure why people are claiming I've listened to 70+ peikoff podcasts or how that makes me a slow learner. I find Peikoff entertaining but can't stand listening to him for long (he calls answers to questions that are less than five minutes podcasts).

@Mikee I think the response to somebody who is not worth bothering with is ignoring them. Unless you have nothing else interesting in your life.

I didn't dodge it, I admitted I don't know much about Peikoff's work... furthermore I'm not sure why people are claiming I've listened to 70+ peikoff podcasts or how that makes me a slow learner.

It's an identification mistake. There is/was another 'newcomer' here, Makiaveli, who met with a scoffing by the welcoming committee, on another thread. He is the guy who mentioned Peikoff's podcasts under questioning of his bona fides ... and mentioned the 70 figure ...

I felt modern liberals were absolutely wrong, cons were lesser of two evils etc, religion had failed me long ago and I just wasn't sure what to think anymore. I flirted with Bhuddhism due to its lack of an actual god, but the more I read the more I realized same thing, different storyline. L. Neil Smith's book The Probability Broach was my first real introduction to libertarianism, though I had no clue that that was what he was writing. I stumbled across a non-fiction book of his at a library which turned out to be waaaay over my head, so I went back to the TPB and decided I was going to be a secret libertarian. [...] Eventually got on FB due to HS reunion, which lead to friends of friends etc so I "came out". That's when I finally read AS and then when I googled her I stumbled across interviews which lead to more googling etc. ARI etc lead to Dr. Peikoff's podcasts (watched about 70 of them so far, working my forward from #1) and now listening to his old radio shows mixed in for change of pace.

Sometimes OL folks may feel a little bit defensive or protective about the forum, as if it were their home stoop, and as if 'newcomers' need close scrutiny lest they befoul the nest. In this case, the 'challenge intruders' instinct may have transferred from Makiaveli to you, and led to the mix-up.

Shit happens.

Edited by william.scherk

I didn't dodge it, I admitted I don't know much about Peikoff's work... furthermore I'm not sure why people are claiming I've listened to 70+ peikoff podcasts or how that makes me a slow learner.

It's an identification mistake. There is/was another 'newcomer' here, Makiaveli, who met with a scoffing by the welcoming committee, on another thread. He is the guy who mentioned Peikoff's podcasts under questioning of his bona fides ... and mentioned the 70 figure ...

I felt modern liberals were absolutely wrong, cons were lesser of two evils etc, religion had failed me long ago and I just wasn't sure what to think anymore. I flirted with Bhuddhism due to its lack of an actual god, but the more I read the more I realized same thing, different storyline. L. Neil Smith's book The Probability Broach was my first real introduction to libertarianism, though I had no clue that that was what he was writing. I stumbled across a non-fiction book of his at a library which turned out to be waaaay over my head, so I went back to the TPB and decided I was going to be a secret libertarian. [...] Eventually got on FB due to HS reunion, which lead to friends of friends etc so I "came out". That's when I finally read AS and then when I googled her I stumbled across interviews which lead to more googling etc. ARI etc lead to Dr. Peikoff's podcasts (watched about 70 of them so far, working my forward from #1) and now listening to his old radio shows mixed in for change of pace.

Sometimes OL folks may feel a little bit defensive or protective about the forum, as if it were their home stoop, and as if 'newcomers' need close scrutiny lest they befoul the nest. In this case, the 'challenge intruders' instinct may have transferred from Makiaveli to you, and led to the mix-up.

Shit happens.

Excellent Bill and thanks.

I realized that I was confusing them and was about to do a search.

RR my apologies for only my false association that you listened to 70 + Peikoff tapes.

However, at least you shared something that I did not know and gave me a better perspective.

I believe in redemption, how about you?

A...

I erred in suggesting Robin is a 'newcomer' such as was Makiaveli ... since Robin has been posting since November of last year.