Donald Trump

Marc,

To a typical Trump supporter, they look at a billionaire and see that he shows up to work--early--every day of the week and twice on Sundays. This is a guy who could be sitting idle in fat cat city, but he does the daily grind. 

To a person who is out looking for a job because, for him (and another 90 million people), employment is not up like Obama's numbers say. Hard work is something he can understand. It's something he wants. He doesn't need numbers or smooth talk. He knows hard work when he sees it.

Then he looks at Rubio. The guy had money troubles before becoming a politician. Suddenly he's sitting pretty and can't even be bothered show up to vote most of the time.

Believe me, that ain't gonna fly with them. Ever.

As to SchlongGate with Hillary, the following video is exactly how millions of people see it. And poor Don Lemon has no way to budge that narrative, which is probably quite a shock to him. That's what happens when you belong to a class that has lost all credibility.

The media can cut this off like Lemon just did, but they will not change what people think. Not this go around. 

Back at the media farm, David Brock, Hillary's media bag man, has a different opinion: Hillary Surrogate Says Trump’s ‘Schlong’ Remark Was Really About Calling Obama a Black Rapist.

:smile:

You can't make this crap up. Is it any wonder the media has no credibility?

btw - Don't worry your pretty little eyes about Hillary beating Trump. He used to bribe her and knows where plenty of her skeletons are buried. She has dirt a mile long and I have little doubt he is sitting on it to spring it at the right time.

When he says (over and over) that Hillary wants to run against anyone but him, that's what he means.

Right now he's just putting on a show for the electorate, showing them that Hillary is going to have one bitch of a time running against him. And he's entertaining everyone to boot.

Michael

All right, all right, for those who can't get enough schlonging, here's some quality research.

The Full History of Political ‘Schlongings’
by Ben Zimmer
Dec. 23, 2015
Politico

From the article:

While the expression is rare, it has in fact shown up in earlier political contexts, typically from New Yorkers like Trump. The Post notes that Neal Conan, host of NPR’s Talk of the Nation, said in a 2011 broadcast that the 1984 Democratic ticket of Walter Mondale and Geraldine Ferraro “went on to get schlonged at the polls.” And on Fox News in 2006, Dick Morris warned that President George W. Bush was “going to get schlonged” in the midterm elections.

Long before that, the phrase made an appearance in New York City collegiate politics. The Daily Mail uncovered a 1967 article in the student newspaper of the City College of New York in which Ellen Turkish, a candidate on the losing slate for student council, said, “We got schlonged.” (As Ellen T. Comisso, she would go on to a distinguished career as a political scientist.)

(looking angelically innocent and opening arms in a gesture of bafflement): Whaaaaat?

Nobody knew this?

Michael

Marc:

You are a smart individual.

Are you asserting that there is no correlation between The Donald's complete dominance of 95% + of all the polling, and, for the first time in polling history, will be unconnected to the voter turnout for him in the first Iowa primary caucus?

A...

Thanks for the compliment ! Of course you are correct , I just would bet heavily that Trump does not win Iowa , do you not agree ?

Marc:

You are a smart individual.

Are you asserting that there is no correlation between The Donald's complete dominance of 95% + of all the polling, and, for the first time in polling history, will be unconnected to the voter turnout for him in the first Iowa primary caucus?

A...

Thanks for the compliment ! Of course you are correct , I just would bet heavily that Trump does not win Iowa , do you not agree ?

It is going to be close and I am attempting to find out from some folks I know out there what kind of turnout operation he has building.

He does have the Iowa field organizer that got Rick to just edge out the Loser Romney in Iowa in 2012 which was a critical early hire that told me he was serious.

A...

But, for now, I've got a problem.

I'm trying to figure out how to fit a crow into SchlongGate.

So, imagine a scenario in which Trump does not gain the nomination. Schlonged! Whether schlonged by the 'elites' or the 'back-room boys' or by disloyal GOP voters, schlonged he will be. Schlonged!

As for the crow follies, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

It is fine to count eggs, to imagine the public humiliation of the unnamed fools (Marc and I) who are more-or-less doubtful of success for the Trump campaign. It is fine to imagine that future state in which the game is played and those who confidently backed the wrong team are brought low. Humiliation not just for being wrong, guessing wrong, but for being certain, smug, categorical and of superior acumen.

Remember, Michael, if Trump falters before his ultimate goal of 1600 Pennsylvania, if Trump fails to gain the nomination, the humiliation of being publicly wrong will be yours.

The lip-smacking at a meal meant to be choked down in embarrassment by Trump-doubters ... this will be remembered if and when The Donald becomes a Loser.

Are you ready for that, Michael?

The humiliation of eating crow is because of strongly stated opinions -- the crow-eater is assumed to have made a humiliatingly wrong, strong but mistaken position -- and ultimate events prove him wrong.

How one combines the crow-eating metaphor with the felicities of Getting Schonged, that's easy. If and when Trump fails to reach his goals, and your favoured candidate loses, then it will be incumbent to make fun of you and your hard-fast opinions and predictions. You will be the butt of jokes. You will have been schlonged. You will eat crow. It will be just as funny as if Marc and I are led to the plate ...

Since you have mentioned crow between fifty and a hundred times ... the eating will be protracted. Every smug estimation of the size, weight, toughness, stringiness, oiliness and ick -- this will redound on you. Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander.

Schlonged! Egg on the face. No chickens to sell. No excuses. Plate after plate of crow stretching to the horizon.

As you happily imagine those plates being set before Marc (or me), as you thrill with pre-cognitive schadenfreude, you are also building up a charge. A strong, burning, electric charge.

I love you like a brother, Michael, but the egg-counting and place-setting and lip-smacking is preparing for a banquet at which you may be the only diner.

Edited by william.scherk

William,

My, my, my...

Such passion!

Do I detect irritation?

(I want to say, "Losing's a bitch, ain't it?", but I'm in this for the good vibes. If Trump loses, of course I'll own up. In good humor at that. But thank God that'll never happen. :smile: )

Michael

MSK: I get it that you are a fan of Trump's polling and his punking of the media--even though our friend Wolf has asserted upthread that Trump is without artifice. I tend to think you are right, i.e., that he has plenty of artifice.

But substantively, I'm curious; which of Trump's policy positions are your 3 favorite?

But substantively, I'm curious; which of Trump's policy positions are your 3 favorite?

graphics-warning-772241.gif

graphics-lawyer-484698.jpg Lawyer Alert advokaat10.gif

William,

My, my, my...

Such passion!

Do I detect irritation?

I guess you do, but I don't really know. Can you detect anything else?

(I want to say, "Losing's a bitch, ain't it?", but I'm in this for the good vibes. If Trump loses, of course I'll own up. In good humor at that. But thank God that'll never happen. :smile: )

One can admire your ruling passion, Michael, and your devotion to a candidate. That's a fundamental. And one can understand your irritation with folks who do not properly 'get' Trump, or your impatience with those who are not yet believers in his ultimate triumph.

We are both passionate about a few subjects. Trump is your present overwhelming focus, your man, your hope, your dream of a great chief executive. Everyone understands that on the surface. It is a lot like your earlier infatuation with Glenn Beck, when Glenn dominated your heart and your OL output.

If Trump fails, no one will be asking you to politely 'own up.' Some will be expecting you to eat crow at the same massive banquet you are laying for others. There will be Schadenfreude and Schlongs. Some will be expecting a humiliating public chow down, and will take pleasure in your losing. As you almost don't say, Losing Is A Bitch. If you lose, having identified so closely with a candidate, having excoriated all doubters and skeptics as beyond rationality -- unable to see what you see -- the loss will be a bitch for you. Like all loss, painful, saddening, unpleasant.

Can you blame those who might enjoy your humiliation? You are setting up great expectations -- and looking forward to the eating of the crow. I hope you are ready for the corollary. Since you are thoroughly expectant of a Trump win, plumping for that great day ... you will be eating your words if you are wrong. A lot of words. A lot of crow. A lot. In proportion to your crowing about a Trump victory. In proportion to your certainty. In proportion to the expectations you have set up.

Since no candidate has won a single delegate ... we don't know the outcome. We can guess. We can hope. We can fantasize. We can fit each other for the Fool.

So, irritating or not, I think you are setting up a grand banquet for which the diners cannot be known at the present time.

The Prime Diner might be you. I hope to make that possibility more present in your mind. Just a possibility.

Edited by william.scherk

David,

In broad strokes, I like them all so far. (There are only five formally drawn up so far.)

But I like something much better than haggling over word games about this policy or that. I like the fact that Trump himself will be the one to lead the implementation of his policies.

He's the kind of man who says he is going to build something, then he builds it. On time or earlier, under budget, and with high-quality.

That's quite an unusual characteristic in a politician.

I also like the fact that he is surrounding himself with Tea Party small government individual rights people. I believe they will exert a strong influence on his administration.

Michael

And one can understand your irritation with folks who do not properly 'get' Trump, or your impatience with those who are not yet believers in his ultimate triumph.

William,

My writing style must really suck because I rarely feel irritation or impatience with others about Trump.

Oh... I was frustrated with the O-Land crowd "out there" in the beginning. Also, I'm not fond of being called names, so I might have said a thing or two in reaction.

And, granted, I used Trump's extraordinary success in this campaign so far to prompt me to analyze a lot of stuff about human behavior, so that was a bit more serious than my normal banter.

I hardly think I conveyed irritation, though. At least the kind of irritation you seem to allude to.

I hope not.

I'm not a great writer (yet), but that would indicate total writing suckiness. :)

Can you blame those who might enjoy your humiliation?

Of course I can!

Bastards!

Some will be expecting you to eat crow at the same massive banquet you are laying for others. There will be Schadenfreude and Schlongs. Some will be expecting a humiliating public chow down, and will take pleasure in your losing. As you almost don't say, Losing Is A Bitch. If you lose, having identified so closely with a candidate, having excoriated all doubters and skeptics as beyond rationality -- unable to see what you see -- the loss will be a bitch for you.

. . .

You are setting up great expectations -- and looking forward to the eating of the crow. I hope you are ready for the corollary. Since you are thoroughly expectant of a Trump win, plumping for that great day ... you will be eating your words if you are wrong. A lot of words. A lot of crow. A lot. In proportion to your crowing about a Trump victory. In proportion to your certainty. In proportion to the expectations you have set up.

. . .

The Prime Diner might be you.

Man, that's a lot of wish-fulfillment fantasy.

Whew!

I can't mess with it, though, because I have my own dysfunctional head to deal with. That gets real complicated at times and takes up all my time and energy.

Besides, it looks like I'm going to have a lot of people to feed crow to, so the preparations should keep me busy.

:)

Michael

... irritation fuse...

Brant,

That's a very interesting image.

Not too long ago, I recall a lot of people laughing their asses off about Trump, his hair, his intelligence, he's a buffoon, he's crass, and on and on...

I just noticed that all those people who were yukking it up are no longer expressing merriment. They seem to have developed this organ of which you speak--an irritation fuse. :)

I don't people mean here on OL, but maybe some to a slight degree on an off day--I mean mostly people out there, especially in the mainstream. One used to be able to cut their abundant snark with a butter-knife. Now there's not a single "Trump is so ridiculous" chuckle to be found anywhere.

I wonder what changed them?

:)

Michael

David,

In broad strokes, I like them all so far. (There are only five formally drawn up so far.)

But I like something much better than haggling over word games about this policy or that. I like the fact that Trump himself will be the one to lead the implementation of his policies.

He's the kind of man who says he is going to build something, then he builds it. On time or earlier, under budget, and with high-quality.

That's quite an unusual characteristic in a politician.

I also like the fact that he is surrounding himself with Tea Party small government individual rights people. I believe they will exert a strong influence on his administration.

Michael

I looked at Trump's 5 positions you linked to.

I definitely like 2 of them (vigorous defense of the 2nd Amendment and tax code simplification). Two of the others are not exactly barn burner issues. Who could be against the VA getting better? As for the China Trade Agreement--I join 90% of the rest of population and have no clue. As for Immigration reform, I'm an agnostic, and don't know any details about a wall across the border of Mexico, paid for by Mexico, and negotiated for by unknown smart people.

Interesting comment about "small government." For somebody who is surrounding himself with "Tea Party small government" people Trump's policies seem to be strangely quiet about "small government". Unless I am missing something, there is nothing in Trump's 5 positions that proposes how government will be smaller with him at the helm. I am not haggling here, or trying to play word games--just pointing out the obvious.

I am hopeful that if Trump becomes President, he will not build much of anything, so his ability to build a hotel doesn't inspire me much. True story: my largest client for over a decade was a national hotel chain. The owner of that chain could build hotels--on time--like nobody's business. He was very rich. None of his companies ever went bankrupt That client of mine would have made a very shitty president.

I actually don't like the government building things--with Trump at the helm or somebody else at the helm. I think the private sector should build things and government should get out of the way. The less Trump builds as President, the better.

From what I can tell, building-wise, so far Trump has only committed to building a wall, overhauling the VA hospitals, and beefing up the military (which would involve some real estate stuff). He wants the USA to start charging other countries for the things the USA does for them with our military and stop giving away so much damn money.

I could go on, but the essence of Trump's government idea is, I believe, he wants a booming economy here in the USA and knows how to get one moving. To that end, he knows how to choose talent and how to oversee talent.

Anywho, the following mainstream outlet is starting to get it--too little and too late, but starting:

Analysis Donald Trump's campaign: It's less chaotic and more calculated than it looks

by Michael Finnegan

December 23, 2015

Los Angeles Times

It's not a great article, but it's starting to touch on a few fundamentals...

Michael

Obama and Rubio , both first term senators ( I believe) , who did not vote much in the Senate . Both won POTUS , opps I mean Obama won twice and Rubio is about to get a taste . I see Trump backing Cruz as someone here wrote a few pages ago .I see that ticket bringing in the Trump supporters ( yeah , the ones who don't vote ) , and Rubio just cleans up .

This is politics folks .

The beginning is Iowa .

Probably the beginning of the end for DT too .

Folks biggest mistake on this thread is assuming that DT wants to be President .

Damn , if Trump was a stock I would short the hell out of him , both hands , both feet short short short , all day long for months and months .

When it breaks its gonna be fast and furious my friends .

Just like Apple stock back there when I gave you all my first and last stock tip ever .

Donald Trump is Apple stock at $134.54 , our good friend Brant stated back then that you should not short momentum and that is actually excellent trading advice . Going against Brants rules could really hurt people in the markets and he is correct .

DT is $130 to $135 right now , very soon he will be zero , just like his chance for the nomination , the election too

#PresidentRubio

If you short a stock you use discipline over conviction. Here you have reversed the stricture.

--Brant

you are correct !

Considering politics is not trading stocks ( with the exception of trying to apply rational thought over irrational participants ) , I am still stating discipline over conviction . Its my discipline that allows me to "short" DT here , not conviction .

Its the discipline that allows me to not be suckered in by irrelevant data when the real players have not made their moves yet .

Its about to get life and death from here to Super Tuesday , moves are gonna be made , deals struck , and bodies are going to fall .

Marc:

Without playing the well what if he does want to be President card...

Can you lay out your reasoning one more time..

Thanks.

A...