Donald Trump

18 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bolsonaro is often compared in the press with President Trump, although he's not really that similar. He represents the former Military Dictatorship values.

Since I speak fluent Portuguese and lived in Brazil for 32 years, I've been reading up a little on Jair Bolsonaro. He was not anyone on my radar when I left Brazil, so I didn't know anything about him. I just read more and saw some videos.  Now that I know a bit more than just skimming, I want to alter my comment above.

Jair Bolsonaro actually is a Trump-like figure and what is happening in Brazil is very similar to what happened with the Trump revolution. I've seen what the press is doing down there and it's identical to what it does up here. It's eerie.

What's worse, Bolsonaro seems to be like Trump in making outrageous statements to generate controversy. He also loves the military seeing how he was a hardcore member and has said good things about the Military Dictatorship period. It's hard to tell how many of these outrageous statements he actually believes, though, and how many of them are publicity stunt rhetoric to cash in on Brazil's own PC outrage culture machine. In English, I read Bolsonaro's Wikipedia page (see here), but everything is sourced to mainstream Brazilian news, mostly during the time of the leftwing governments of Lula and Dilma. That, to me, is not credible.

It's even to the point of all the mainstream news emphasizing crap like they have no idea what the motive of the guy who stabbed Bolsonaro could be. Or trying to immediately jump on the mental illness motive because the guy, after capture, said he was on a mission from God. You won't read the following in the press down there or here, but if Bolsonaro was the monster and Nazi (yes, they did the Nazi thing too :) ) the press painted him to be, his crowd would have eviscerated the attacker. Instead, the crowd immobilized him and turned over to the police.

According to Flavio Bolsonaro (one of the sons--see here if anyone speaks Portuguese :) ), when speaking about the police investigation, he said the people in the crowd passed the knife from one person to another (prison-style) until it reached Adelio Bispo de Oliveira, who then lunged and stabbed his father. So, if he is right and I believe he probably is because of what the police are probably telling him, this was an organized assassination attempt. (One thing caused me cognitive dissonance in that video, though. At the end, he started crying and wiped his tears with the Brazilian flag. I mean, come on... )

The reason I am giving space to this here in the Trump thread is because I believe this assassination attempt sealed Jair Bolsonaro's victory in the upcoming election. It looks like he will survive and get the sympathy vote of many who were previously not attracted to him. (Brazil has a butt-load of political parties, so it never boils down to two.)

And he has expressed his intention of setting up strong trade ties between Brazil and the US with President Trump.

So let's see what happens.

Michael

Well, what about another thoughtful analysis of the Q anon phenomena in the context of the NYT anon whoopee?

From Lee Stranahan, formerly of Infobreitwarbart, I think, now under contract to RT-Sputnik US's radio outlet. This is excerpted from a Youtube channel that picks items from Stranahan's Periscope account.  The title is 'Is the “White House Resistance” Narrative Stealing the Story from #QANON?!?!"' ...

You can keep up to date with Stranahan on Twitter, where he announces his various shows on Sputnik-radio and simulcasts to Periscope. This one was blurbed like this: "Alex Jones BANNED. WHO is NEXT on the Twitter Deadpool??? Call-IN NOW @ 202-521-1320!!!"

Spoiler

faultLinesStranahanSputnickPagegrab.png

Edited by william.scherk
"Muh Russia" plink plonk -- page from Sputnik Radio's Stranahan-Nixon Show

What a shitty thing to happen on the campaign trail in Brazil.  I took MSK's guidance and tried to find simple stories in Brazilian media, and also directly from sources via Twitter. The candidate Bolsonaro has announced his recovery, which is great (his son said the wounds touched a lung, the liver and bowels, necessitating a colostomy to save his life).

jairBolsonaroTweetrecovering.png

This Twitter-video I gleaned from perusing "Brazil News" via GoogleNews.  It is the accused assailant:

Brazil has what we could call "colourful" politics, along with an index of corruption that can appear foreign to Canadians and Americans.  I don't know what exactly to think about Bolsonara, but have taken a cue from the Portuguese Wikipedia page on the man. Cue: learning.  How does a country get out of a simultaneous economic and political ''crisis"?

I figure it may not surprise anybody that the candidate is anti-gay and a soldier of Jesus ...

Edited by william.scherk
Linked video, added information

27 minutes ago, KorbenDallas said:

They have some creative stats in that article.  Nike was down first day on opening bell after the news, this is the stock chart from NASDAQ:

If by "creative stats" you mean a ticker name followed by a number and in a different color, such things are common in financial markets articles. They are current time price quotes often updated. If looking at the page when the market is open, it might update while you are reading it or if you refresh it. Ditto for the numbers in red in your post.

24 minutes ago, merjet said:

If by "creative stats" you mean a ticker name followed by a number and in a different color, such things are common in financial markets articles. They are current time price quotes often updated. If looking at the page when the market is open, it might update while you are reading it or if you refresh it. Ditto for the numbers in red in your post.

The article you posted claimed, "Nike’s online sales jumped 31% after company unveiled Kaepernick campaign, data show."  It didn't.  The image I posted clearly shows the stock fell after the announcement---the announcement was on Sept 3rd, the next day the market was open was Sept 4th and there is a clear drop in price.  Can you see it?   (Also see here: Nike Shares Fall Following Announcement of Kaepernick Ad Campaign)

The article you posted might be talking about the rebound the stock took in days following, which is also on the chart.  The article you posted, however, made the claim, "Nike’s online sales jumped 31% after company unveiled Kaepernick campaign, data show," which clearly it did not.  Maybe the days following the initial drop, but it fell after the initial announcement.

51 minutes ago, KorbenDallas said:

The article you posted claimed, "Nike’s online sales jumped 31% after company unveiled Kaepernick campaign, data show."  It didn't.  The image I posted clearly shows the stock fell after the announcement---the announcement was on Sept 3rd, the next day the market was open was Sept 4th and there is a clear drop in price.  Can you see it?   (Also see here: Nike Shares Fall Following Announcement of Kaepernick Ad Campaign)

The article you posted might be talking about the rebound the stock took in days following, which is also on the chart.  The article you posted, however, made the claim, "Nike’s online sales jumped 31% after company unveiled Kaepernick campaign, data show," which clearly it did not.  Maybe the days following the initial drop, but it fell after the initial announcement.

?? Sales and stocks prices are two very different things.

4 hours ago, william.scherk said:

I figure it may not surprise anybody that the candidate is anti-gay and a soldier of Jesus ...

William,

Bolsonaro is actually Catholic. He's playing footsie with evangelicals (think Obama with Reverend Wright).

As to the anti-gay thing, it's a bit more complicated than using the heated cultural molds of the US and Canada. Don't forget that Brazil has hosted, as a formal part of Carnaval, even broadcast on mainstream TV, the world's largest gay parade for many decades--way before it was a movement thing. 

I don't have time to go into this right now, but I can say one thing. And take from it what you wish. I saw a video of Bolsonaro in a recent rally where he said (I'm paraphrasing from memory): "So come on and join us heteros. Welcome one and all, including trans. We have no problems with you."

:) 

He was saying this in a welcoming tone, not a sarcastic one like the press would probably spin if they mentioned it.

From the vibes I got, he's against gay marriage as a cultural issue and would get terribly confused with a gay in the family, but underneath, he couldn't give a crap otherwise. Like I said, it sounds more like he likes to bait the press with outrage the way Trump does and, maybe, pander a bit to the fringe in his base.

(I learned a lot about Brazilian press when I produced a couple of shows with Geraldo Vandré. He was reputed to have been brainwashed by the Military Dictatorship and was absent from public life for years. I produced his comeback and it was a media event. However, I constantly saw the press making up shit about what I did, what Geraldo did, etc. They even made a lot of stuff up that did not have the remotest alignment with what we did. They made up events, meetings, etc., that simply never happened. And they said things happened in events, meetings, etc., that I did that had nothing to do with what actually went on. I know. I was there. :) What surprised me, though, when looking into Bolsonaro was how similar the Brazilian press has become to the mainstream fake news media in the US right now. It used to have a particular Brazilian form of lying that's hard to explain. :) More conspiratorial in a hidden way. No more. Now it's a bad clone of the phony-baloney outrage and grandstand virtue-signaling on MSNBC, CNN, etc.)

Apropos, did you notice that the cover story of the guy who stabbed Bolsonaro is that he is a soldier of Jesus on a mission from God?...

So you believe one soldier of Jesus stabbed another?

Michael

Woo hoo!

Republican landslide coming in the midterms.

09.07.2018-21.14.png

The link goes to this Daily Mail article:

Trump says he could use the MILITARY to build his wall if Congress won't fund it through Homeland Security's budget and won't rule out another government shutdown to get his way

btw - Who's doing the goddam text revision over at the Daily Mail? Look at these two beauties in the sub-headlines (my bold):

• DailyMail.com asked the president on Air Force One if he was considering using the Army Corps of Engineers to build his border wall
  • Congress has been stingy with a Homeland Security budget for the project, providing barely $3 billion and leaving another $25 billion unfunded
  • Pentagon officials say the Corps of Engineers is suited to perform the work and Trump has boasted about budget increases he has won for the Pentagon 
  • Trump says: 'We have two options: We have military, we have homeland security'
  • He also said he won't take a government shutdown off the table if Democrats on Capitol Hill keep playing hardball because of immigration politics
  • He believes a shutdown would be strategically and politically smart
  • But many Republican lawmakers are counseling patients because they fear being blamed for a shutdown in the final month of re-elecion campaigns 

Michael

33 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

So you believe one soldier of Jesus stabbed another?

It is a very colourful  country. Beyond that my beliefs are yet to fully form. 

It's a curse of the cynical.  It takes time to rule out all the worst-case-scenarios that bias throws up as possibilities. Those recursive moves between possible, plausible, likely, probable -- and what is supported by strong warrants -- is the best part of research.  For me, I mean.

[One of my months in San Francisco in the nineties was partly devoted to libraries and photocopy machines and file folders and US Post office padded bags sent back north to Prince George. Each day of library devotion I sought "Original citations," meaning I followed references in famous or influential psychotherapeutic publications backwards to 'triggers' or the first classic claims ... in this case the focus was on the therapeutics, legal cases and attendant 'literature' of the Recovered Memory/Satanic Ritual Abuse eruption in the last century. The padded bags added to what would be my forty-pound  box of research.

I went to college as an adult, and really thrived on checking my cynical biases against "the literature" and its defects and strengths. I am returning to finish my degree once I hit 65, knock on wood.

Just for an added bit of WSS zaniness, one of my secret disco faves.  The bass lines in this arrangement entranced my primitive. Still do. My gaming headset has a 'throb' setting for added ersatz thumpiness. ]

Did I mention I am gay as a goose?

Edited by william.scherk
Zany? who are you calling zany? Do, does, did

18 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

William,

Yup.

Often.

Not so much recently, though.

Michael

Should we not have a Canadian corner here ? 

Discussing Ford , Trudeau , Tory , hockey and Canadian Geese ? 

We could even ban Trunp duscussions because I’m clearly outnumbered by my beautiful fellow Canadians 

Trump-watchers can take advantage of an 'everything Trump' website within factba.se.  

The Trump-watching and collecting of data means that they catch smaller-market interviews that other sources do not.

For example, this is an interview with a local outlet during the President's outing to a fund-raising event in Fargo, North Dakota:

Check out the full range of their video acquisitions at their Youtube account.  Factbase also has little-known Trump videos and recordings, all the tweets (searchable), and even some  content-analysis of a type offered by more expensive outfits like Media Eyes or Critical Mention. The 'media monitoring industry' is vast ...

Edited by william.scherk
Grrrrrrrammar

Digression on Brazilian politics that may only interest Michael.  From the folks at Huffington Post Brasil in concert with Twitter and another media outlet. It's a live debate between a number of candidates who will appear on the presidential ballot. My Romance-language knowledge plus Google Translate suggests that the debate will also be live-tweeted, though I can't be sure that means the televised debate will also be carried via live-Periscope or other embedded en direct video means: 

Debate TV Gazeta: Candidatos a presidente se enfrentam neste domingo, dia 9

21 hours ago, Marc said:

Should we not have a Canadian corner here ? 

Discussing Ford , Trudeau , Tory , hockey and Canadian Geese ? 

We could even ban Trunp duscussions because I’m clearly outnumbered by my beautiful fellow Canadians 

We already have one, Canadian Boring in Politics, though alas our politics are no longer really  boring. I am now in NB where there is a provincial election in a month (you can tell because they are paving yet more roads again) and when I recover from the rigours of travel I shall report. As mentioned my pal Trudy is very local conservative and the C-C-candidate is former federal vet affairs minister G. Thompson, the town is full of veterans who think he was a spineless Harper stooge who did nothing for them, so stay tuned. Needless to say  I did not get this assessment from the aforementioned Trudy. My informant's impression is that the younger people (there are a few of them) favour the Lib or Green.

I still say get rid of transfer payments.  Why?  And it isn’t so Alberta can be rich(although it would be).  It is so that it would force other provinces to ACTUALLY be fiscally responsible and enact legislation that is pro business and pro worker.  As it stands now why would a government be responsible when it knows it is getting xxx billion for doing nothing..

So.... whodunnit?!  Well that's what I want to know, and apparently this guy on CNN sez he has figured out who wrote the op-ed:

Phew that's one hell of a conspiracy theory:  the person who wrote the op-ed has strong ties to Congress, and by writing the op-ed it would deter Trumpists from voting so that the democrats could gain the house, and by gaining the house they could move forward with impeaching Trump, and also have enough influence for conviction as well.  This, folks, is conspiracy making 101.  Is it true?  All of it?  Nope.  Just look at all that alignment, a perfect array of factors leading up to impeach Trump...

So maybe he has a theory who wrote the op-ed, maybe he's right.  I don't think Trump is getting impeached soon, even if the democrats win the house.  Move along.. nothing to see here...

And one more rambling thought, I don't want Trump to get impeached.  How'z that for my supposed anti-Trumpism?!!!?

IF Trump were to be impeached or forced to resign there would be a revolt by millions of republican voters.  Seeing as MOST democrats are anti gun..don’t own guns I don’t think a revolt of that magnitude would end well....

Think Trump would go away quietly (like Nixon?)

Fuckkkk no...he would rally people into a frenzy.

Dems..be careful what you wish for.  It REALLY won’t end well.

3 hours ago, KorbenDallas said:

Phew that's one hell of a conspiracy theory:

Korben,

There are only parts of it that are kooky. Saying the person behind the NYT Op-Ed wants Trump impeached doesn't sound like a conspiracy theory to me. Not at all. It sounds pretty accurate. :) 

The kooky part to me is that someone could write an anonymous article and that would "gaslight" Trump. The idea is comical. Think of using a BB gun against a battleship and saying the battleship crew was cowering for fear of the BB's. :) 

Caputo lost a lot of money defending himself in the Muh Russians crap. So that's why I think he looks scared. He personally got burned. And he was Carl Paladino's campaign manager, so he embraces overly-emotional politics. I don't take him all that seriously and I don't believe Trump supporters in general do, either.

I agree with you that the idea that this Op-Ed could influence the midterms is kooky. It's playing to the anti-Trump and leftie choir and nothing more.

However, I don't think it's implausible for the author to have peppered in words like "lodestar" to keep media people yacking and social media humming right along. Those breadcrumbs are a great example of how to do disinformation correctly for media attention. I don't think for an instant the author thought people would really believe Mike Pence wrote the Op-Ed. He (or she) just wanted the Sherlock Holmes game running so the issue would stay active in the press. Where's Wally? Everybody wants to know. :) 

What I honed in on was the CNN lady harping on why President Trump keeps talking about this Op-Ed. Look at the way she asks and you will see real fear in her demeanor. I think she realizes this thing is backfiring and doesn't know what to do about it.

If people haven't learned by now that Trump is a master of public persuasion, they will never learn it and keep on losing to him through the same mistakes. The fact is the very weirdness of the Op-Ed makes the anti-Trumpers in the shadows look like boneheads and the NYT look like Fake News Supreme. That's the way most people see this. Trump keeps it alive because it works opposite to its intended effect. It further solidifies his base with a perceived attack and makes some moderates scratch their heads at the sheer amateurishness (and sleaziness) of doing an anonymous NYT Op-Ed.

To me, a proper conspiracy theory would be that Trump himself--or someone on his staff--engineered this thing as a midterms campaign strategy to get votes by discrediting his critics. But I don't believe that is plausible for several reasons. That's not his style, the Deep State does exist and has done other boneheaded things of that magnitude or more (Muh Russians for one), and anti-Trump loathing is real in the hearts and minds of some people. So getting someone to do this Op-Ed (while being coached, no doubt) knowing they would eventually take a fall is not hard. They would see themselves as a "martyr for the truth" or something like that.

(Even ISIS recruits from among the disaffected and resentful for terrorist and suicide training. That's the pool of candidates all kinds of manipulative people use to do their dirty work. The CIA does this, too. I think I've read something where this is in their training materials, but I need to remember it correctly and find it again before stating it as fact.)

The funny part is, the folks at the NYT (and all the backroom people in the media) are getting sick and tired of being called fake news, so they made some more fake news to counter it.

Watch and see how this boneheaded thing will turn out. I'm very confident it's as I say, just like I was confident Trump would win the primaries and the election.

Use the following frame and everything looks different:

President Trump is having fun with this. He's not suffering. And most people know it.

Michael