Donald Trump

This morning I looked at the media going ape over Flynn, the Russians, and God knows what else.

Wow!

What an onslaught!

The sheer amount of attention and hysteria sounded warning bells even in my mind.

But then I did a jaunt around the business shows on TV and a few business sites. Man, is business booming! :) Seriously. You would think we are in the middle of a new market revolution, or at least right at the beginning of one. People are grinning and stuff. :) 

One person (I can't remember who) said something I found amusing. Asked what the market thinks of the unfolding scandal about Flynn, the Russians, and so on, the person said it sounds like it's 100% media-created. Nothing to even think about, much less worry about. The market is focused on making money right now. 

:)

Michael

Since Trump took office both my pipeline stocks, one associated with the Dakota project, the other with Keystone, have steadily increased in value  & continue to pay a 9 & 10% tax free quarterly dividend.

I anxiously await the Administration's tax reduction/reform...that should create an economic orgasm. -J

Backlighting said: Since Trump took office both my pipeline stocks, one associated with the Dakota project, the other with Keystone, have steadily increased in value & continue to pay a 9 & 10% tax free quarterly dividend. I anxiously await the Administration's tax reduction/reform . . . that should create an economic orgasm. end quote

What The President is accomplishing is definitely on the Freedom Road, even with the leftover, regulatory cross traffic and wind drag. The cloverleaf will be at the six month to one year mark when big and small investors see they are in a Indianapolis 500 stock market race. (Hopefully we will avoid stock buying on credit as occurred in 1929.) Though, I am not sure the market will match the advantage of your muni’s.

Buffet just sold a big chunk of Berkshire’s Walmart stock. I don’t get that. I recently bought a few basic supplies on Amazon, and the prices were reasonable, but the shipping cost is the glitch. I bought two tins of coffee and overall it would have been cheaper to go to the local Food Lion if I don’t count my time as a real expense or the minimal gas I burned. I am just hesitant about the concept, over the long haul, of buying basic supplies online. But Amazon’s incoming money is fantastic and still growing. I won't count Walmart out, and their online services may grow a bit faster too.

The fed is still talking about artificially monkeying with the interest rates. Shut her down Mr. President. Laissez-Faire Bro, and stay thirsty.

Peter

Nice ad William.

The Bully Pulpit. Brow beating - (not literal) – and arm twisting? Fine.

But executive orders? Tariffs? Subsidies for American firms? Now we are sliding back into the gater swamp President Trump. If you are going to put people before government as your sign says you cannot at the same time say you are going to decide what citizens and corporations do with their money. That is not “people before government.” That is government dictating to the people.

Peter    

The press only talks about leaks these days.

If all you do is read them, you would think the Trump administration is paralyzed with fear in impeachment proceedings as it is being slowly dragged down to drown in the depths of the Black Lagoon by it's own [choose your own euphemism for evil].

But...

(drum roll)...

Honey Badger don't give a fuck.

There's the people's work to do.

That's not top priority, but it is presidential as all get-out. It's nice to see a US president doing this stuff finally instead of trading foreign terrorists for US deserters.

Here's a phrase from my college days:

Keep on truckin'...

Honey Badger truckin'...

Trump truckin'...

Michael

Everyone, not least the President, is moving on ...

Mr. Trump didn’t explain Wednesday why he asked for Mr. Flynn’s resignation. Instead, he suggested the leaks and the media were to blame for his ouster.

“General Flynn is a wonderful man. I think he’s been treated very, very unfairly by the media,” Mr. Trump said. “And I think it’s really a sad thing that he was treated so badly.”

“I think in addition to that from intelligence, papers are being leaked, things are being leaked,” Mr. Trump said. “It’s criminal action. It’s a criminal act and it’s been going on for a long time before me but now it’s really going on.”

Reviving his line of criticism against intelligence officials during the transition, Mr. Trump said the “illegally leaked” information was from people with political motivations. “People are trying to cover up for a terrible loss that the Democrats had under Hillary Clinton,” Mr. Trump said.

Flynn's phone calls with the Russian ambassador seem anodyne, in context. Flynn was part of the transition team charged with national security. When the Obama administration expelled 'diplomats' and imposed sanctions on Russia (in light of reports on his desk that Russia had 'interfered' in the US election), it makes sense that Trump would want to signal to Russia's leadership that "things will be different after the election."  No doubt Trump and Flynn had conversations about a coming and necessary "re-set" of relations.  So it needn't have been by Trump directive that Flynn made his calls.

He calls up and says, in effect, "Look, there is no point in retaliating" -- retaliating in kind, in a tit-for-tat expulsion of US agents abroad. And the ambassador passes that along to Putin, and Putin decides not to retaliate or make a big fuss.

And the next day Trump praises Putin for his leadership or his wisdom in not reacting to the Obama moves.

So ... what went wrong?  If Flynn didn't do anything unethical in his contacts, why is he out of a job?

Because he misled Pence.  He apparently 'inadvertently' failed to tell Pence the full story of the calls.

Of course nothing would have leaked if there had been no discrepancy between the content of Flynn's calls and the story told about the calls:   they were generic, they were condoling, they were anodyne, and to the best of Flynn's recollection, sanctions were not discussed.  

The truthiness of the story was undermined when the White House learned that intercepts of the ambassador's conversations showed ... Flynn's "story" was not the truth. I think that is when the White House leaked, some staffer let out the information that the stories didn't match the recordings. Whether or not Flynn was being targeted for exposure by the US equivalent of Gulenists, the discrepancy was a problem, a problem in optics and a problem of integrity.  Out comes the rabid media ...

flynn.jpg

I have no idea why the White House allowed the incipient scandal to brew, why there was no action in terminating Flynn once the discrepant truth-claims were in evidence.  Here's a timeline that indicates the span of time and the incidental acts ...

Jan. 20 — Trump inaugurated.

Jan. 20 or 21 — The FBI questions Flynn about his call to the ambassador as part of the bureau's broader investigation into Russia, according to a senior U.S. official.

Jan. 23 — At Spicer's first White House press briefing, he says that Flynn assured him the night before that the Flynn-Kislyak call did not involve sanctions. The subject, Spicer says, was a plane crash over the holiday, Christmas greetings, a potential conference in Syria on ISIS, and scheduling a call with Putin.

Jan. 26 — Acting AG Yates tells White House Counsel Donald McGahn what she knows about the call, according to the White House. Trump was told immediately, Spicer says, and the White House counsel launched an "exhuastive" review that included questioning of Flynn.

[...]

Feb. 9 — The Washington Post reports that Flynn, according to current and former U.S. officials, did discuss sanctions with the Russian ambassador; officials confirm the content of the discussion to NBC News. This day is the first time Pence is informed of the Justice Department warning about Flynn's call — two weeks after Trump was told.

Feb. 10 — A spokesperson for Flynn tells NBC News that Flynn "can't be 100 percent sure," but doesn't remember talking sanctions. Trump denies knowledge of the reports that Flynn and the Russian talked sanctions. "I don't know about it. I haven't seen it. What report is that?" he tells reporters. Also that day, Flynn speaks by phone to Pence, reportedly to apologize to him.

Feb. 13 — Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway tells NBC News that Flynn has the full confidence of the president. Moments later, Spicer says Trump is evaluating the situation. Hours after that, Flynn resigns, saying he "inadvertently briefed the Vice President Elect and others with incomplete information regarding my phone calls with the Russian Ambassador."

Feb. 14 — At a press briefing, Spicer says Trump asked Flynn to resign because of a erosion of trust — not because any laws were broken.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum.  

During his news conference today, President Trump was talking about fixing the inner cities. Black people lock themselves in their apartments afraid to go outside.

Walter Williams wrote: In 1990, New York City adopted the practice in which its police officers might stop and question a pedestrian. If there was suspicion, they would frisk the person for weapons and other contraband. This practice, well within the law, is known as a Terry stop. After two decades of this proactive police program, New York City's homicides fell from over 2,200 per year to about 300. Blacks were the major beneficiaries of proactive policing. According to Manhattan Institute scholar Heather Mac Donald -- author of "The War on Cops" -- seeing as black males are the majority of New York City's homicide victims, more than 10,000 blacks are alive today who would not be had it not been for proactive policing . . . . It turns out that the U.S. Justice Department has found that black police officers in San Francisco and Philadelphia are likelier than whites to shoot and use force against black suspects. That finding is consistent with a study of 2,699 fatal police killings between 2013 and 2015, conducted by John R. Lott Jr. and Carlisle E. Moody of the Crime Prevention Research Center, showing that the odds of a black suspect's being killed by a black police officer were consistently greater than the odds of a black suspect's being killed by a white officer. And little is said about cops killed. MacDonald reports that in 2013, 42 percent of cop killers were black. end quote 

Pizzagate!

Trump’s Labor nominee oversaw ‘sweetheart plea deal’ in billionaire’s underage sex case
By JOSH GERSTEIN 02/16/17 02:22 PM EST Updated 02/16/17 03:17 PM EST

President Donald Trump's new nominee for secretary of labor, Alexander Acosta, could face a grilling in the Senate over claims that — while he was the top federal prosecutor in Miami — he cut a sweetheart plea deal in 2008 with a billionaire investor accused of having sex with dozens of underage girls.

As the U.S. attorney for Southern Florida, Acosta agreed not to file any federal charges against the wealthy financier, Jeffrey Epstein, if he pled guilty to state charges involving soliciting prostitution and soliciting a minor for prostitution.

Epstein ultimately received an 18-month sentence in county jail and served about 13 months — treatment that provoked outrage from alleged victims in the case.

Thursday night on CBC I watched Scott Pelley do his propagandistic job. Very crude. Very bad. So tonight, I tuned out ABC, CBS, and NBC and just watched Fox. Ahhh. That’s better.

Rush was saying there is a full court press to delegitimize President Trump and I believe him. The “main channels” are evil. But the Prez is not intimidated. To the contrary, he is energized and knows exactly who he is dealing with: the Communist or Fascist, Progressive  Press.

How do others on OL deal with the propaganda?

Peter

Soon the US might be a country ruled by law again:

Fearing Trump, commission drops Miami-Dade’s ‘sanctuary’ protections

And this one happened without anyone firing a shot, burning automobiles in the middle of the street, trashing and looting stores, shitting on cop cars, sucker-punching pregnant women, 24 hour news coverage with panels of stooge pundits. None of it.

The commission didn't fear Trump, though. They wanted the money. They traded obeying the law for money. If there's anything to fear for real, it's the need to pay people to obey the law. But I suppose that's better than paying them to break the law, like happened a lot under the last administration.

Michael

The hysteria in the “drive by media” is astonishing. As I mentioned I am swearing off all the news unfit to print and if other patriotic Americans do the same their ratings and profits should drop even lower at ABC, CBC, NBC, CNN, etc. Some have mentioned Drudge as a home page and I am sure there are some other good choices too.

Peter

Some truncated excerpts from the article, “Donald Trump’s Top 10 Accomplishments in His First Month in Office,” by John Hawkins Posted: Feb 18, 2017 12:01 AM:

10) Freezing all Federal Hiring Outside of the Military: Trump followed in Ronald Reagan’s footsteps by putting a federal hiring freeze in place almost immediately after he became president. That’s big, because the first step to shrinking government is to stop adding more people to it.

9) Pulling Support for the Obama Drive to Force Women to Allow Men in Their Bathrooms: This was a bit surprising, because Trump has generally been supportive of allowing transgender women to use women’s bathrooms, but he also said he believes the issue should be left to the states. Towards that end, he ordered the DOJ to “withdraw a motion filed by former President Barack Obama seeking to allow transgender students in public schools to use the restroom with which they identify.” That will probably lead to the issue being left to the states, which is how it should be.

8) Reinstating The Mexico City Policy: Barring U.S. government funding to international non-governmental agencies that promote or perform abortions is a big deal for pro-lifers. Because of Trump, your tax dollars are no longer going to be used to murder children overseas.

7) Ordered Federal Agencies To Cut Two Regulations For Every New One They Propose

6) Putting Out An Executive Order Asking The DOJ And Homeland Security to Withhold “Federal Funds, Except As Mandated By Law” From Sanctuary Cities: Trump talked a lot about sanctuary cities on the campaign trail and it’s great to see him taking action against these lawless cities. The fewer sanctuary cities we have, the fewer Americans like Kate Steinle will be raped, robbed or murdered as a result. There is no such thing as the “rule of law” when a protected class of foreign trespassers don’t live under the same laws as the rest of us.

5) Approving The Dakota Access Pipeline And The Keystone Pipeline: Not only will both those pipelines produce jobs without harming the environment, over the long haul they’ll help reduce gas prices. Liberals may not care about Americans spending less on gas, but it’s great that Trump does.

4) Killing The Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Deal: As Jeff Sessions has noted, the TPP was a bad agreement that dangerously eroded America sovereignty,

3) Undermining Obamacare:

2) Ordering The Construction Of The Border Wall:

1) Selecting Neil Gorsuch For The Supreme Court: Gorsuch is an eminently qualified 49 year old originalist and if conservatives were fantasy league picking their top five selections for the court, he’d be on it. Trump did his job; now it’s up to Mitch McConnell to get Gorsuch confirmed via hook, crook or nuclear option.

Trump is considering just letting other countries defend themselves. NATO was created to counteract the Soviet Union which is now defunct. Russia is still chipping away at Georgia, Syria, the Ukraine and who knows where else, but with time, these expensive Russian policies may lead to the bankruptcy of the Kremlin.

Should we rely on our nuclear arsenal and our own military and dollars to protect the US alone? What happens if we exit NATO? I think we would still have mutual defense agreements with English speaking countries like Britain, Canada (parlez vous a leetle mon-sewer), and Australia.

We were talking about EQ on another thread and I think national social skills go beyond just being a trade partner, but I don’t want the US to go deeper into debt to protect anyone else. That’s Isolationism within reason.  

Peter

Hello across the Atlantic! Russian warships just sailed into Port Wenn and they are threatening Doc Martin and Downton Abbey. Can you help!

Carole King wrote:

When you're down and troubled
And you need a helping hand
And nothing, nothing is going right
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest night

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend

If the sky above you
Grows dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind begins to blow
Keep you head together
And call my name out loud
Soon you'll hear me knocking at your door

7 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

What is EQ?

Type in the letters "EQ" on your device child, and you will know. Or search for my emails where I explain I am also "new gnu knew" to the phrase.   

In addition to my other BBC mentions I would also like to mention "Grantchester" with the priest, "Call the Midwife", "Doctor Blake" from Australia, and the Glorious "Victoria." the camera work is superb in "Victoria" and the story is Oscar worthy. The female star is so . . . worthy . . . and she is around the same height as Queen Victoria. 4"11"

It is time to give a donation to Public Television.  

Peter      

Some said it was, "Not my President Day."

President Trump seems to be emotionally isolated from the press. He pokes his head back under the canvas  occasionally to see what the hell the circus is up to, then he says, “Oh for Christ’s sake,” and goes back to Melania and a nice cozy . . . warm . . . bed. “This is right” he says. “This is SO right.”

If you imagine yourself as President what would you do differently?

Peter