Donald Trump

5 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Trump is getting back into quotable quote mode. And it's one of the reasons people are falling in love with him in droves.

He just said the following (see here).

Quoting Donald Trump (my emphasis with larger font):

:)

Michael

When Trump goes down to ignominious defeat you will be soooo sad. 

16 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

When Trump goes down to ignominious defeat you will be soooo sad.

Bob,

On this very thread I was told this very concern over and over about Trump not getting the nomination--that I would be sooooo sad and humiliated when he got clobbered.

Then Trump got the votes and in a couple of weeks, he will officially have the nomination, not by a little, but by a lot.

And now you are telling me he will lose the election and I will be devastated...

btw - What do you think about crows?

Michael

On 7/13/2016 at 0:28 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Bob,

On this very thread I was told this very concern over and over about Trump not getting the nomination--that I would be sooooo sad and humiliated when he got clobbered.

Then Trump got the votes and in a couple of weeks, he will officially have the nomination, not by a little, but by a lot.

And now you are telling me he will lose the election and I will be devastated...

btw - What do you think about crows?

Michael

Sorry.  I should have said if and not when....

Place yer bets, Trump to announce VP pick on Friday:

I'm hoping it's Newt

Edited by KorbenDallas
//Newtzilla!

11 hours ago, KorbenDallas said:

Place yer bets, Trump to announce VP pick on Friday:

I'm hoping it's Newt

I am going to predict it is Ted Cruz. 

20 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

“I do not believe anybody including Trump can tell you what a Trump presidency would be like,” Gingrich said.

“How we make the transition from, you know, language for fourth graders to real policy, I don’t know.”

If Trump picks Cruz, that would be the shrewdest thing hes done.

Some snips about Governor Mike Pence from the Washington Post. He is 57 and on his talk show he said he was Rush Limbaugh on decaf. Pence endorsed Ted Cruz in the primary. He's got ties to the Koch brothers. The billionaire brothers have so far stayed out of the presidential race, a sign they're no fans of Trump. But their 2016 involvement could change with Pence by Trump's side: The resumes of several of Pence's top aides also include stints with the Koch brothers' vast corporate and political networks.

Some excerpts from Wikipedia: Michael Richard "Mike" Pence (born June 7, 1959) is an American politician and attorney who is serving as the 50th Governor of Indiana, having taken office in 2013. A member of the Republican Party, he previously represented Indiana's 6th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives from 2001 to 2013 and served as Chairman of the House Republican Conference from 2009 to 2011. Pence is a member of the Tea Party movement. . . .

Pence graduated from Columbus North High School in 1977. He earned a B.A. in History from Hanover College in 1981 and a J.D. from the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in 1986. While at Hanover, Pence joined the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity, serving as his chapter's president.

After graduating from Hanover, Pence worked as an admissions counselor at the college from 1981 to 1983. After graduating from law school in 1986, Pence worked as an attorney in private practice. He continued to practice law following his second unsuccessful run for Congress. In 1991, he became the president of the Indiana Policy Review Foundation, a self-described free-market think tank and a member of the State Policy Network.

Pence left the Indiana Policy Review Foundation in 1994, when he began a career in talk radio. He hosted The Mike Pence Show, which was based in WRCR-FM in Rushville.

Pence and his wife Karen Pence, have been married since 1985. They have three children: Michael, Charlotte, and Audrey. Pence is a Christian. During his service in the U.S. House, the Pence family lived in Arlington, Virginia when Congress was in session.

Pence is some piece of work.  Apparently he is not  warm to the idea of keeping religion out of politics and the formation of public policy.

I think Trump is trying to make himself Impeachment-proof.  

This is one election from which I shall abstain.  

In this--Trump's first tangible (i.e., non-blowhard) action as a potential President--it is good to see he didn't pick an establishment, elitist, Pro-Iraq War, Pro NAFTA type.  

Pence is going to take the Endless War Machine, grab it by the throat and...

Michael:  you have been right all along!!   Trump truly is a man of principle!!!

33 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

At least it's defined.

Now we gotta live with it.

Michael

No, you gotta live with it.  

This is one of the worst choices possible.   It allows Hillary to use Pence's long, long record to mitigate every one of Trump's effective  lines of attack.  

A truly clownish choice, and confirms that Trump doesn't know what he's doing.   

At least Trump is raising a lot of money to combat the negative ads he's being hit with...Oh wait, maybe not.  

48 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

I think Trump is trying to make himself Impeachment-proof.

I don't think he is looking that far down the road.  His pattern is to focus intensely on what is right in front of him.

This choice makes me think that he is still concerned with keeping the rules committee from changing things such that the delegates can vote any way they want on the first ballot.  He knows that despite all the chatter to the contrary, that even if they are bound by state delegation rules, they can go rogue.  Even if the rules committee were to firm up Trump's support, they could go rogue. 

Like putting out that Heritage foundation list of potential Supreme Court Nominees, he is still fighting to keep the establishment and the NeverTrumpers from stampeding the delegates to vote Cruz or parachuting in Ryan.  Whoever they vote for will be the nominee.  It might shred the GOP if they bolted, but the anti-Trumpers think he will shred the GOP anyway.  (I think the GOP has come to a natural end no matter what - rotting away in random fashion from a lack of core principles).

I think Pence is just to give the anti-Trump people another reason for maybe holding their noses and accepting Trump.  Pence doesn't bring in any votes, to speak of, in the general election.  Might even cost him a number of votes among independents and doesn't help with working class democrats.  Pence doesn't solve any problem beyond the first ballot.  Trump sees this as all about Trump (surprise! :-), and when he passes the first ballot milestone, Pence will be irrelevant and won't much be seen or heard from and Trump will focus on the general election.

(There are some people in the Establishment who can't stand Trump, and that want Hillary to win, because they figure they can ride out a single term of Hillary, keep most of their power, and come back strong in four years - their delusion is of a GOP fashioned in their image that is powerful, riding a strong anti-Hillary sentiment, and with them in control.  Trump is (my guess) doing backroom deals to win some of these people over - that's something he and they both understand.)

13 minutes ago, Mikee said:

Donald Trump’s choice of Mike Pence for vice president would — if it is confirmed tomorrow — be a promising pick for those of us who see a restoration of sound money as the essential precondition for returning America’s economy to a trajectory of jobs and growth

When I read that sentence it confirms my belief that the GOP sustains itself mostly on delusion.  Look at it.  If Pence is Trump's VP pick (which we now know he is), and if Trump gets nominated (probably will), and if Trump wins the general (doubtful), and if Pence is actually going to advice Trump on serious monetary reform (maybe), and if Trump listens (not likely), and if Trump makes that a priority (still less likely), then this advise in the minds of those starved for hope, grows to being the start of a trajectory leading to a small, constitutional government based upon individual rights and the existence of a gold standard.

Maybe it wasn't a good idea for our parents to have exposed us to fairy tales when we were little.

I'm going to repeat part of a post on a different thread on what I think of this (more for reader convenience than anything else).

14 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

... I have been looking into Pence and reading around. I was in identify correctly to judge correctly mode. And here is the conclusion (judgement-wise) I have preliminarily come up with.

We are seeing the Art of the Deal in action. This is a taste of how Trump will neutralize hostility as he goes after the prize.

Trump needed to offer some kind of concession to get the anti-Trumpers out of his way. He doesn't need their active support, he doesn't need them to campaign for him, but their constant yapping could eventually be leveraged by Clinton at an inopportune moment.

Think of them like this. You are fighting a war, but there are people on your own side who, out of sheer ineptitude (and/or hurt feelings and/or plain old graft and corruption), are constantly planting landmines for you to step on. You don't need them to fight and, hell, you don't even want them to. You don't want them near a gun while they are near you. You're still fighting the enemy and can't afford too many distractions. You just want them to stop planting the goddamn landmines and go back to base camp.

Trump needed someone at this moment who had common ground with him and common ground with them. So he did what he always does, he followed the money. Pence is pretty good moneywise in Indiana. As to the rest, Pence is flip-floppy and pragmatic enough to keep out of the way if and when Trump reads the riot act to him.

Look at it from this angle. Let's presume a deal had to be made with the anti-Trumpers (and I believe it did to ensure smooth sailing--oh, I think Trump will win regardless, but he's hedging his position and I understand why). Who got the shit end of the stick in this deal, Trump or the anti-Trumpers?

Barring Trump being assassinated, does anyone really believe Pence will have a strong influence over Trump in his administration? Does anyone think Pence will stand up to Trump, or rebel and go rogue if and when he disagrees with Trump? Maybe somebody thinks that, but I think he will go back home, have a beer and zone out on what a good life he has--and any and all anti-Trumper agendas be damned. :) Most of the establishment will have to swallow this beer with him and say it's good because their man is No. 2.

That's called deal-making.

Pence to Trump is like Biden to Obama. Nothing more and nothing less.

Think about it (I know Trump has). How important has Vice President Biden been to President Obama in the big picture? In my view, he's been window dressing.

I predict this will be the same for Mike Pence.

And Trump still has Gingrich and Christie to put into active roles in his administration.

Michael

The title of this video on Fox is "Romney 2012 campaign adviser talks Trump's VP announcement," with the subheading, "Kevin Sheridan does not give the rollout a great grade"--but what it looks to me is if you gave Peter Keating an opportunity to talk on television, that Sheridan's awkward and uncomfortable smiles and mannerisms seem to indicate he's ate up with vericundiam:

As for the Trump-Pence rollout, I'm not so enamored.  The Indiana aspect is fine (jeez, are they that boring in Indiana?) (sorry Indianans here on the board or reading.. composition fallacy on my part..  vote Trump.. we need you..), but what I picked out in the another thread is that I think this is more about Trump than Pence, that Pence doesn't steal the limelight and does a good job when taking to the podium, that Pence is almost a non-pick pick, out of necessity, that Trump really couldn't pick himself (how awesome would that be..? hah), and more to be said after watching this video:

The essence?  Subordination.

Is that a good thing?  It depends.

Are you of the type that thinks a VP should reflect the views of the President, being by his side, affecting policy decisions?  Or of you the type that thinks the VP slot is a pigeon-head, flying around America speaking like he's the President but not the President.  (But make sure your nearside an official bunker, you don't ever know when a catastrophe is going to happen and we'll have to initiate the line of succession, the contingency plan..).  I'm with the latter, and it represents more of reality of what the VP slot is to the Presidency today.  Duck and run.  The President doesn't want to make an announcement or speech 'out there', so send the VP.  (Do any of you consider a pigeon a real bird..?)

This frees up Newt to become the Chief of Staff or Senior Advisor to the President--or whatever Title you want him to be--right there by Trump's side, two early 70 year-olds wreaking havoc on what's broken with the American spirit, trying to restore it to its former glory of low unemployment, being respected in the world (Mr. Gorbachev, Tear down this wall), and the efficacy of the American dream----I'm still with Newt and hope Newt is still with Trump.  The VP slot isn't the most important slot today...

Edited by KorbenDallas
ouch Pence, you just got voted Most Likely to Succeed..

Poor Cenk.

The realization that people he never thought existed exist is starting to sink in. They are not the caricatures he and his cohorts constantly snarked about, but actual people. And he's seeing them for the first time, apparently.

Cenk is smarter than most progressive commentators. He's at least got the good sense to look without prejudice at times. It's almost funny to see him bounce back and forth in this video between his prejudice and his eyes.

Michael

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Poor Cenk.

The realization that people he never thought existed exist is starting to sink in. They are not the caricatures he and his cohorts constantly snarked about, but actual people. And he's seeing them for the first time, apparently.

Cenk is smarter than most progressive commentators. He's at least got the good sense to look without prejudice at times. It's almost funny to see him bounce back and forth in this video between his prejudice and his eyes.

Michael

There is a man who has seen the Truth with his own eyes.  I give him credit that his political inclinations did not blind him to the facts.

I think Trump will lose,  but not by as much as the Progressives  would like.  The Crony-geschaft had better wake up.  The natives are restless...