Donald Trump

9 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Trump wins Washington state 76% or so.

(Surprise, surprise... :) )

Michael

If The Donald runs against The Hillary, I think most likely, Trump will lose.   However some good may come of it.  The folks currently running the Republican Party will realize that even their base  does not love them anymore.  The next election will be the choosing of the least despicable alternative.  Hardly anyone will be  proud of the outcome or even glad. 

55 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

If The Donald runs against The Hillary, I think most likely, Trump will lose.   However some good may come of it.  The folks currently running the Republican Party will realized that even their base  does not love them anymore.  The next election will be the choosing of the least despicable alternative.  Hardly anyone will be  proud of the outcome or even glad. 

If you need some evidence that this will go badly for Clinton, here's a good analysis of Trump's new and effective campaign strategy.

Top three reasons Donald Trump is surging in the polls right now

....  But saying Trump is going after Clinton doesn't tell half the story; it's how he's attacking her that really matters.

First off, he's given her a new moniker that's sticking for a lot of the public: "Crooked Hillary." Trump no longer mentions Clinton on social media without that "Crooked" prefix. This was the same tactic that worked when he nailed Ted Cruz with the "Lyin' Ted" nickname and Jeb Bush with "Low Energy Jeb." A big part of successful campaigning involves quick and snappy sloganeering, and these nicknames have that in spades.

Secondly, Trump is hitting Clinton on a carefully selected array of issues that at one point or another will appeal to persuadable voters from all persuasions. For hard core gun rights voters, especially in the South, Trump has been calling Clinton an outright "gun grabber." For mainstream conservatives who focus on foreign policy, he's been reminding everyone of the mess in Syria and Libya that began during Clinton's term as Secretary of State.

For moderate-to-conservative women who aren't so sure Clinton deserves the women's vote just because she's a woman, Trump has continued to allude to her alleged complicity in Bill Clinton's sexual misconduct cases and for what Trump says is her relative silence about violent discrimination against women in the Muslim world.

And for progressive voters, Trump keeps reminding everyone of Clinton's ties to Wall Street and other alleged financial deals, thus the "Crooked" in "Crooked Hillary." These attacks seem to be leaving more of a mark on the Democratic frontrunner than they're helping Trump. In both the NBC News/Wall Street Journal and ABC News/Washington Post polls, Clinton's numbers are more down over the last month than Trump's numbers are up. That's the thing about effective negative campaigning, it doesn't boost your support that much, it just erodes your opponent's support more. But that's usually good enough to win.

I see the strategy clearly.  Trump is hitting Clinton now on all of her negatives to erode her support.  The next step will be to offer the alternative these folks are looking for to surge his own support and I think that's what Trump will use the convention to start doing.   

More violent protesting of a Trump rally, this time in New Mexico.

Trump protesters smash door, break through barriers

(CNN) - Protesters lit fires, smashed a door and threw rocks outside a Donald Trump rally Tuesday night in New Mexico -- the latest scuffle to follow the presumptive Republican nominee's campaign.

The scene outside Albuquerque's convention center was chaotic as police ushered protesters away from Trump's event and into the nearby streets.
    There, anti-Trump protesters -- many critical of his positions on immigration -- loudly chanted, "F*** Donald Trump."  
    The protesters had broken a glass door to the convention center. Some taunted police and jumped on police vehicles as officers in riot gear and on police horses moved them away from the convention center's exits.  Trump had already left the event.  .......

22 hours ago, Peter said:

I liked that Trump ad against Clinton protecting her criminal husband especially her witch's cackle at the end.

RCP has President Trump up by 2 tenths of a percent over Clingon Clinton. However the electoral college map is for Old Hickory Clinton 201 to 164 for Trump with 173 votes in the tossup column.

Trump falls to Bernie Sanders 246 to 163 with 139 votes in the Toss up column.

Worthless. Complete before the conventions bunk.

--Brant

As of this past weekend's poll results, Trump and Hillary have a combined unfavorable rating of 112% (one has 54, one 58). That suggests that about 12% of those surveyed will not vote for either of them - and since Gary Johnson is polling at about 10% in a three-way matchup with Trump and Hillary, it indicates that the election will be very exciting in at least some of the "swing" states.

Johnson (assuming he's nominated by the Libertarian Party) will be the "balance of power" and will receive scalding denunciation from either or both of the two main candidates, and recriminations and revenge plans will abound after Trump loses in November (which he probably would even in a two-way matchup).

The sell-out conservatives, libertarians, and Objectivists who gave it up for Trump will shout that the Libertarian Party destroyed the Republican Party or helped Hillary the Horrible get elected - forgetting that the Republican Party no longer stands for anything worth supporting, that it is an empty, corporate-statist shell, barely distinguishable from the Democrat Party, and that it has been taken over by Populist-Pragmatist forces which will drive the government even further toward welfare-warfare statism and collapse. 

Keep the popcorn handy. It will be very entertaining this summer and fall - and moving forward from the train wreck in November.

REB

3 hours ago, Roger Bissell said:

The sell-out conservatives, libertarians, and Objectivists who gave it up for Trump will shout that the Libertarian Party destroyed the Republican Party or helped Hillary the Horrible get elected...

Roger,

Man is this going to be fun.

I get to do the entire thread again with people saying how evil or buffoonish or clueless or whatever Trump is, how he can't possibly win, how this time Trump's gone too far in bashing his opponent, how his negatives are a guarantee for a Democrat victory, how the American public simply will not fall for a con artist, yada yada yada... then, as Trump's numbers keep improving, I get to watch the tone of anti-Trumpers change as they start talking about how terribly, terribly stupid Trump supporters are... then, no, they are not stupid, just misinformed and merely need to think about this or that... then, please don't do this, folks... then further gradations until the anti-Trumpers reach the bitter "all Trump supporters are sellouts" level.

:evil:  :) 

Michael

Here is the philosophical and spiritual essence of a huge component of Trump support.

Trump said about Bill Kristol: "All he wants to do is go to war and kill people."

That, I submit, is exactly what Trump supporters think of the establishment--the one Bill Kristol represents.

What's more, they think the establishment folks want war and killing people for crony money and only that.

The Silent Majority is sick of it.

Michael

Scott Adams speaks of Drumpf's linguistic kill-shots.  The latest: Elizabeth Warren, Pocahontas. 

Not bad, not bad at all.

Scott Adams:  Citizen Government:

"There’s something in the air now – maybe because of Trump – that feels intensely American. And by that I mean not waiting around for someone (such as the government) to fix your problem. We’re a nation of problem-solvers. I would argue that problem-solving is the most basic American character trait.

You need something invented? We’re on it. 

You need a dictator removed? Can do.

You need economic stability in the world? Working on it!

Don’t like having a king? We can design a better system.

At the moment, citizens see our government as defective and they see Donald Trump as a wrecking ball. Step one: Demolition."

Excellent.

A genius belittling is on the way.

Trump and Bernie and considering staging a debate. Of course, it would be the biggest television event of all time.

I envision the first question, about Hillary and doing this without Hillary.

Trump and Bernie look at each other, and back to the cameras.

Trump : "Katy Perry isn't here, either. What's your point?"

It would not surprise me if Trump and/or others refuse to debate or appear with Hillary on the grounds that she belongs in prison and they refuse to pretend it is ok that the Dems nominated a criminal. Respecting her at this point is a moral wrong. I will think less of him if he respects her at all, ever, in any context.

But they won't have to do that because Hillary is fini. Her numbers don't look good and Barry is going to help her decide a few things soon.

Nobody belongs in prison until they have been tried, convicted and sentenced.   Anyone not convicted of crime X  is legally innocent of crime X. 

5 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Nobody belongs in prison until they have been tried, convicted and sentenced.   Anyone not convicted of crime X  is legally innocent of crime X. 

Correct, of course.

Every one of us has a right to due process prior to paying criminal penalties.

I can not issue any criminal penalties, however, so the above does not apply to me.

I just use my mind and identify things.

I know what she is.

1 hour ago, Jon Letendre said:

Correct, of course.

Every one of us has a right to due process prior to paying criminal penalties.

I can not issue any criminal penalties, however, so the above does not apply to me.

I just use my mind and identify things.

I know what she is.

More correctly, you have an opinion on what she is.   

1 minute ago, Jon Letendre said:

But they would still legally belong in prison.

Same as acquitted but in fact guilty yields ---> legally belongs free.

No one "is in fact" guilty.  one is guilty if convicted.  

1 hour ago, BaalChatzaf said:

No one "is in fact" guilty.  one is guilty if convicted.  

I think what Brant meant by innocent-in-fact and what I mean by guilty-in-fact is just an error on the part of the system.

You could detect such a case by being the defendant and knowing you are innocent-in-fact, despite being convicted, or by knowing you are guilty-in-fact despite being acquitted.

Now can you accept "Acquitted but in-fact-guilty yields ---> legally belongs free" Or is it still objectionable?