Donald Trump

7 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Oops... The posts crossed with two identical Reicne Priebus tweets, but I'll leave this one up.

:) 

Michael

haha

Go Trump!

(.. as anti-Trumpsters and skeptics collectively roll their eyes.. :) )

19 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

For people still confused about who the establishment is, let's say Hillary Clinton is part of the establishment. (Duh... I know... but I want to be clear for those with doubts.)

Now let's add a staunch Republican establishment mouthpiece: George Will. Intellectualoid. Smoke screen artist for establishment shenanigans and corruption. He makes the public look at lofty things in people who do despicable things.

What does he think about Hillary? Um... not so bad. See for yourself:

If Trump is nominated, the GOP must keep him out of the White House
by George Will
April 29, 2016
The Washington Post

From the article (he's talking about Trump):

You read that right. The second task doesn't matter after that. George Will said the GOP conservatives should work to make Trump lose the election in all 50 states if he is nominated.

If Republicans adhered his boneheaded plan, it means Hillary Clinton (the probable opponent) would win.

George Will even gives Clinton some election advice on how to beat Trump:

You see, that's how it works. The establishment people help each other out. Republican or Democrat, it doesn't matter. They all belong to the establishment, America's royalty. And American citizens be damned.

To them, since they are the royalty, they are the ones who should decide. They are the smart ones. They are the beautiful people. They all have their snouts slopped in the same royal trough and they want to keep it that way. So they protect each other behind the scenes.

Some of them, like George Will, are not even trying to hide it anymore.

Michael

Michael,

Let it be recorded that 17-18 hours before Donald Trump closed the deal on the Republican nomination (beating Ted Cruz in a primary Cruz had to win; Cruz responded by ending his campaign), you wrote something like this.

On the verge of your guy's biggest win to date.

Then tell us that your support for Donald Trump is not primarily motivated by a desire for revenge.

Then tell us that support for Donald Trump, from you or from anyone else, is not and surely cannot be driven by hate.

George Will has been on the scene since the late 1970s.  He has had his ups and downs (I can remember when he published a book titled Statecraft as Soulcraft, and  looked down his nose at Ronald Reagan).  If one looks up references to him at this site (these include your own), they used to be mixed, but often favorable.  

Until Day 1, NTE 1.

Since then, nothing but scorn.  

Opposition to your guy has made George Will into something you never called him before: a liar, a lackey, an "intellectualoid."  A man who, we now learn, never in 40 years encountered a bad act by a powerful Republican without experiencing a massive, lasting urge to cover it up. (Meanwhile, cheerleading for your guy has instantly elevated Ann Coulter to one of the greatest minds in the history of our species.)

Will is a bitter man at present.  What he called for in that column isn't just crazy spiteful.  It simply can't be done.  Even if Donald Trump were to lose Utah to Hillary Clinton, he would not lose 50 states to her.  With today's political alignments, no major party nominee will lose 50 states.  And as bad a President as Trump may turn out to be, Will cannot make a case that Hillary will be better.

George Will may get over his bout of spitefulness.  Or he may not (he is older than Donald Trump; he may not be that far from retirement, whatever is in store).

Meanwhile, the iron logic of your position requires you to treat George Will as among the worst that ever crawled the earth, while Bill Shuster is wonderful (he endorsed our guy!), and Mitch McConnell remains OK until Donald Trump decides he doesn't have a current use for him.

And it requires you to hate anyone who has criticized your advocacy for Donald Trump here on OL.  I, for instance, might never have known it, but I am now part of America's royalty.  So are a few others here (WSS, being from the wrong side of the border, will perhaps get an exemption).  Revenge is now therefore imperative.

You may get over your own bout of spitefulness.  I hope so.

Robert

34 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here is Trump being very gracious about Cruz.

Michael

Michael,

I will credit Mr. Trump for trying to be gracious—trying hard—but he couldn't even hold the attitude for the duration of this clip.  He had to get back to people who had endorsed him.

Robert

3 hours ago, Robert Campbell said:

Korben,

What you appear to be saying is that you don't actually care what Donald Trump's position is on anything.

All that matters is that he is winning.

That's great for Donald Trump, and it's pretty attractive to anyone who is, or will be, on his payroll.

What does it do for you?

Robert

What's apparent to me is you're wrong here.

3 hours ago, Robert Campbell said:

Korben,

My final paragraph was about the expedient stuff.

You know, Donald Trump wanting to defeat Hillary Clinton.

Donald says, "Hillary Clinton takes money from Russian and Ukrainian oligarchs."  (Which, of course, is true.)

Hillary says, "Donald Trump's campaign manager takes money from Russian and Ukrainian oligarchs." (Which is also true.)

I'm actually wondering why Donald Trump would accept such an exposure.

What the hell does any of this have to do with McCarthyism?

Robert

Well if you change the context I guess you can make any assertion you want.

Here is the original context and reply:

On 5/2/2016 at 2:17 PM, Robert Campbell said:

Paul Manafort didn't just work for Bob Dole (or for Jerry Ford against Ronald Reagan, before he worked for Reagan).  He worked for Mobutu Sese Seko, Ferdinand Marcos, at least one dictator out of the dynasty that's ruled Equatorial Guinea, and Mohammad Siad Barré (the last dictator of Somalia).

He worked for Viktor Yanukovych.  Visited him many times, at the gilded palace mentioned upthread.  

Whenever I've brought up Yanukovych, he's been the client nobody wants to talk about.

Forget about Donald Trump's alleged integrity here.  Just focus on the expedient for a minute.

On 5/2/2016 at 3:25 PM, KorbenDallas said:

McCarthyism?  Yah.

Time to start another blacklist.

Trump planted a lot of seeds that will now come up weeds. It was never necessary for him to attack his party opponents also seeking the nomination. He's going to have a harder time getting a decent veep on his ticket than Goldwater did in 1964.

--Brant

the time has come for Trump to show us his brains--he will; it's not optional (get down on your knees and pray; it's the very last day . . .)--does he have a prefrontal cortex? (the world wants to know)

1 hour ago, Robert Campbell said:

Opposition to your guy has made George Will into something you never called him before: a liar, a lackey, an "intellectualoid."

Robert,

How do you know that? I can't even say that, and I'm the one who writes my stuff. :) 

But you might be right.

When I think about it, I don't think I've ever called George Will much of anything. I've never liked him, I know that. Ever since I can remember, I've considered him the snooty type I avoid. Maybe he's said something once or twice I've liked, I honestly can't remember.

Oh, wait... I might have said something when he went after Bill O'Reilly for writing Killing Reagan last year. Watching George Will try to airbrush Reagan's history reminded me of the ARI folks when they think they are defending Ayn Rand's honor by lying in your face. I think I remember saying something or other in that ballpark.

To me, it's the same sentiment like with Peggy Noonan. I've read a few things by her I like and a few I don't, but I can't stand to see her speak. Why? I just can't stand people who look down their noses at others when they talk and that's all she does. And, to be precise, Peggy Noonan has the style of a snob, but George Will has the heart and soul of it.

btw - I don't recall calling him a lackey before, but thanks for the suggestion. Let me do it now.

George Will is a lackey for the establishment--the same one Hillary Clinton is part of.

(Liar, too, but saying that is not much of a negative since it's a job description for what he does.)

Michael

Let it be recorded that 17-18 hours before Donald Trump closed the deal on the Republican nomination (beating Ted Cruz in a primary Cruz had to win; Cruz responded by ending his campaign), you wrote something like this.

Robert,

Thank you for registering this. I'm very proud of it.

Michael

Meanwhile, cheerleading for your guy has instantly elevated Ann Coulter to one of the greatest minds in the history of our species.

Robert,

Nah... She's a very good author (sourced as all hell--look at one of her books if you don't believe me, it might surprise you). And she's a wonderful satirical wordsmith. I've always believed that even when she supports someone I don't.

Recently she's become a trooper for Trump, which I welcome. Don't forget, this is a campaign where people compete to win. You tend to align with people who support your guy. There's nothing wrong with that. 

Michael

Haven't been more ashamed of a big block of my countrymen since three-quarters of them favored our invasion of Iraq. How grotesque.

Hillary, my last hope for the republic against this dangerous puffery and empty personality cult.

8 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

David,

Thank you.

I hereby grant an executive pardon to all the crows in the barbecue murder.

Nobody eats crow unless they kill one themselves.

Michael

One point of clarification:  I always predicted a Trump nomination--although I further predicted a Cruz VP slot, which now seems a little unlikely.    

Your magnanimous gesture is therefore premature.   I should be the one crowing, since my prediction was made with, shall we say, a distinct lack of enthusiasm for the Trump candidacy.  

If Trump gets elected, however, I will be seeking to take advantage of this offer.