Donald Trump

What a great night for Trump!

Earlier this morning, he won Northern Mariana Islands, then tonight, he won Florida, North Carolina and the state I live in, Illinois.

:)

Still waiting on Missouri. It looks like all the counties are in and Trump is leading Cruz by around 2,500 votes. I don't know what the holdup is, but this one is down to the wire.

Hell, let me congratulate John Kasich on his Ohio win.

Now all we have to do is get the hungry vultures of the establishment off the necks of the candidates and let the voters decide. In my view, of the three left, Trump, Cruz or Kasich, no matter who wins the nomination at this point, the USA will have an excellent chief executive should he win the general election. Trump is the best of the three, but the choice now is between great (Trump), excellent (Cruz) and very good (Kasich). That's not a bad choice to have, even if you track it differently.

Except for those goddam kingmakers who want to manipulate the rules backstage. Hell, I've even heard they want to throw Jeb Bush back in to save the day in a brokered convention. Un-friggin-believable...

Rubio is done. Out of the race. But before anyone feels too sorry for him, let's not forget all the nasty folks who were behind him, all the backroom deals he made, even how he betrayed his mentor.

In the wise words of Ann Coulter:

And:

Rubio learned the hard way to be straight with people on the way up because you will meet them on the way back down. When the writing was on the wall in Florida a couple of weeks ago, they went ahead and ran him, but they punked him off so badly they made him come out and ask for people to vote for Kasich instead of him in Ohio. Total humiliation.

Trump was gracious to Rubio in his speech. But he's also having a little fun at Rubio's expense (and, it is funny). Trump posted the video below on his Facebook page and wrote: "Thank you Marco, I agree!" :) 

Thank you Marco, I agree!

Posted by

Donald J. Trump

on Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I am happy.

Michael

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Rubio should have bowed out a week ago. Is there a role for Rubio? No. Maybe in 2020. In the meantime, Kasich is saying he will go all the way and win the nomination.  The low road to the highest office. 

If Kasich is still talking like that in a couple days then we will know he is a partner in the Sea Island Conspiracy coming to the convention.

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

In my view, of the three left, Trump, Cruz or Kasich, no matter who wins the nomination at this point, the USA will have an excellent chief executive should he win the general election. Trump is the best of the three, but the choice now is between great (Trump), excellent (Cruz) and very good (Kasich).

Oh, my. That's quite a flip-flop from echoing that Kasich devastated Ohio and deserves blame for Lehman Brothers. :)

2 hours ago, merjet said:

Oh, my. That's quite a flip-flop from echoing that Kasich devastated Ohio and deserves blame for Lehman Brothers. :)

Merlin,

It's not a flip-flop.

It's called a context change.

It happens in politics all the time.

Let me give you a hint. The Ohio primary election is over. Before it was over is one context. After it is over is another context.

Haven't you ever seen two lawyers almost whacking each other in court go out to lunch together? Different contexts.

Michael

29 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

It's not a flip-flop.    It's called a context change.

Hold on. Where would you have ranked Trump and Kasich on, say, a scale of 1 to 10 before the Ohio primary?  Trump 9 and Kasich 3? Guessing, now it might be Trump 9 and Kasich 7. It surely is a context change, but it might also be seen as a flip-flop in evaluation. There are many posts on this thread I haven't read, but did you say anything positive about Kasich before the Ohio primary? All I had seen is nasty. 

9 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

If Kasich is still talking like that in a couple days then we will know he is a partner in the Sea Island Conspiracy coming to the convention.

On February 23rd I was warning Marc about the serpentine Kasich putsch...

A...

1 hour ago, Selene said:

On February 23rd I was warning Marc about the serpentine Kasich putsch...

A...

Kasich could plausibly claim, until yesterday, to want nothing more than an honest win.

His continuation now is not innocent. It's only logic is wait for the vicious Sea Island takeout of Trump, the cheat at Clevelad, and he'll step in.

That video of Republican insiders was good. Better than good. It depicted the fat cats we despise and worry about if there is a brokered convention. Yet I think that conspiracy is a fiction. Rich influential Republicans exist and they definitely have a desire to dump Trump but they would need to be able to influence the delegates at the convention whose voters chose Trump . . . and the delegates who represent them WANT Trump too. I don’t see a coup happening.  

I think there are serious objections to Trump and Thomas Sowell articulates them well.

Peter

Voting at a Crossroads by Thomas Sowell | Mar 15, 2016: . . . . As for the Republicans' front-runner, what is there left to say about Donald Trump? Almost daily he demonstrates that he lacks the maturity, the depth and the character required to lead a nation facing a complex range of dangers. It is not a question of his having flaws, which we all have. But what kind of warped character does someone have at his core who can mock a prisoner of war who was tortured for years by our enemies, mock someone else with a physical defect, reply to questions with gutter-level insults, and offer childish boasts about what he is going to do, instead of specifics about how? These are not subtle nuances. They are blatant revelations about something fundamentally wrong. Too many people missed similar revelations about Barack Obama. For that we have already paid a price, and we will continue to pay a price, even after he is gone. So will generations yet unborn.

There is a reason why polls repeatedly show Donald Trump producing the highest negative reactions of any candidate of either party. Yet the small hard core of Trump supporters seem oblivious to his antics, his recklessness and his all-consuming ego. Some of these supporters may simply not be paying careful attention. But there have also been some very knowledgeable and intellectually talented people who have backed Trump. Sometimes it takes a high IQ to evade the obvious. What does Trump offer his supporters that makes them so willing to overlook so much? He boldly articulates the resentment and anger they feel at having been betrayed by smug elites in general and the Republican establishment in particular. Charismatic leaders who articulated the just grievances of the people have often risen to power on the basis of that talent alone. And those who put them in power have often paid a catastrophic price afterwards. That story was repeated in countries around the world in the 20th century. end quote 

The Washington Times:

The riot — and riot is precisely what it was — was organized by a small group funded in part by George Soros, the billionaire friend and enabler of everything on the left. Ilya Sheyman, the Illinois director of MoveOn, a campaign creature of the Soros billions, quickly took credit for the riot and promised more. “To all of those who took to the streets of Chicago,” he said, “we say ‘thank you’ for standing up and saying enough is enough. To Donald Trump, and the GOP, we say, welcome to the general election.”

[...]

MoveOn has served notice that violence and intimidation will continue. Messrs. Rubio, Cruz and Kasich, being experienced in politics, should know that if one of them becomes the Republican nominee the violence and intimidation will be directed at him. The left wants blood, and it’s the blood of whomever stands in the way of remaking the republic to their design. Once the lion is let loose in the streets, no one and no one’s speech will be safe.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/mar/14/editorial-trump-rally-protesters-are-to-blame/

Note to freedom-loving people of America:

If you think your non-Trump favorite is going make it out alive, fight and win not fold and lose when the Left amps up, then you my friend, you deserve Lions in your streets.

1 hour ago, merjet said:

There are many posts on this thread I haven't read, but did you say anything positive about Kasich before the Ohio primary? All I had seen is nasty.

Merlin,

I didn't say much positive or negative about Kasich. I did post articles and videos of other people who made comments about Kasich. I presume most of those were negative since I favor Trump. (I don't know if you noticed. :) )

My evaluation of him is the same both before and after the contest. On your scale, I would give him about a 6. Maybe 7 because of the addiction stuff, but not because of leadership. (I really do resonate with his compassion toward people who are down and out for real and I find that very attractive in a person. It's not Objectivish to say that, but since when have I ever been bothered by that? :) )

Frankly, the only strong opinion I ever had of Kasich up to recently was a slight irritation at his insistence of droning on with stump talking points during the early debates far after his allotted time to speak was up and the bell was dinging or the moderators were trying to get him to stop. He never could seem to wind up his thoughts with a zinger or pithy statement. Instead, he kept hogging the time of others with bullshit, then finally end his "nails scratching on a blackboard" message on a platitude, and that irritated me. 

But on a rational evaluation of his leadership ability, I've seen him as I see all governors who are popular in their states. He must be doing something right. Still, he's a politician and a party man. After the NYT endorsement, the image of backroom deals with party bosses started forming in my mind and attaching itself to him.

During the contest I would not say the good things I thought about him. If I'm playing football, I'm not going to be on the field gushing about the other team as I am trying to beat them. But after the game, I can say what I think.

It's the same in a political contest. And it works on all sides.

Do you really think all those people who said Trump was Hitler meant it?

Now he has a chance to play really sleazy with the election or make his case on whatever levels he can and try to emerge from the GOP bickering on merit. Let's see which one he chooses.

He's a politician and party man, so my bet is on the sleaze. But as chief executive, I believe he would be all right. Not great, but all right. More cronyism, but controlled.

The practical drawback with Kasich is if he pulls off the nomination, we would get another McCain/Romney as GOP candidate to run against the Clinton machine and Obama's dream team of behavioral scientists. In other words, I believe the Democrats would win by a small margin again.

Michael

Jon wrote: Kasich could plausibly claim, until yesterday, to want nothing more than an honest win. His continuation now is not innocent. It's only logic is wait for the vicious Sea Island takeout of Trump, the cheat at Cleveland, and he'll step in . . . .    Note to freedom-loving people of America: If you think your non-Trump favorite is going make it out alive, fight and win not fold and lose when the Left amps up, then you my friend, you deserve Lions in your streets. end quote

Because the left wing Nazi, jackboot threat is across state lines the FBI should arrest the culprits. And Trump should talk to the mayors and governors, publically and privately, of each city and state he is going to campaign in and get their assurances that they will not allow illegal protests to occur.

Peter

As to a brokered convention. From Time.com: Confused about how Trump could be denied the Republican nomination? Let 1952 be your guide. As Donald Trump continues to rack up wins in the Republican primaries, the political class is increasingly debating whether he could be stopped at the party’s convention. In that scenario, which is known as a brokered or contested convention, Trump would enter the July gathering with the most delegates, but not enough to clinch the nomination, which would then free the party’s delegates to potentially select a different nominee. That may sound undemocratic, especially to Trump’s followers. And while it hasn’t happened in more than six decades, such brokered conventions used to be fairly common. end quote

From Wikipedia: In United States politics, a brokered convention, alternately referred to as a contested convention, and sometimes as an open convention, is a situation in which no single candidate has secured a majority of delegates (whether those selected by primary elections and caucuses, or superdelegates) prior to the first vote for a political party's presidential candidate at its nominating convention. Once the first ballot, or vote, has occurred, and no candidate has a majority of the delegates' votes, the convention is then considered brokered; thereafter, the nomination is decided through a process of alternating political horse trading ((super) delegate vote trading), and additional re-votes. In this circumstance, all regular delegates (who may have been pledged to a particular candidate according to rules which vary from state to state) are "released" and are able to switch their allegiance to a different candidate before the next round of balloting. It is hoped that this extra privilege extended to the delegates will result in a re-vote yielding a clear majority of delegates for one candidate. The term "brokered" implies a strong role for political bosses, more common in the past and associated with deals made in proverbial "smoke-filled rooms", while the term "contested" is a more modern term for a convention where no candidate holds a majority but the role of party leaders is weaker in determining the eventual outcome. end quote

They're going to try to use Alinsky techniques on Trump. (Actually, they have been doing that all along.)

Guess what?

Trump knows the same techniques they do. Let's say, for example, Alinsky's advice to laugh at someone. Here's how Trump does it, but ups the stakes while he's at it.

Is this what we want for a President?

Is this what we want for a President?

Posted by

Donald J. Trump

on Wednesday, March 16, 2016

How's that for a start?

Michael

I have no doubt once Trump becomes president, we're getting this kid back.

North Korea sentences US college student to 15 years' hard labour - Otto Warmbier, 21, was arrested for removing a political banner from a hotel and had begged the regime for mercy in a recent press conference

That idiot deserves to be a contender for the Darwin awards, but he's just a kid who did something stupid. Obama ain't getting him back, but I am quite sure Trump will.

Michael

3 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I have no doubt once Trump becomes president, we're getting this kid back.

North Korea sentences US college student to 15 years' hard labour - Otto Warmbier, 21, was arrested for removing a political banner from a hotel and had begged the regime for mercy in a recent press conference

That idiot deserves to be a contender for the Darwin awards, but he's just a kid who did something stupid. Obama ain't getting him back, but I am quite sure Trump will.

Michael

North Korea is China's, and everything North Korea does and says is China doing and saying.

Larry Sabato is finally acknowledging the force of the stuff he doesn't measure.

Sabato said that Trump's voters are not moved by all the negative ads thrown against him. Instead, he said Trump is right, his supporter numbers actually are increasing. 

To Sabato, that shows the message in the ads isn't working. Well duh... Exceptionally, this time he didn't have any poll numbers to back his claim up.

Sabato seemed amused that Trump admitted to 10% of the stuff in the negative ads being true. He said nobody ever does that. I'm not sure he will ever understand that one of the big secrets to Trump's appeal to his supporters is in that statement.

To be clear, this is a moment when Trump lets down his guard and tells it straight to "his people." He does that a few times in each speech. These moments are quick and few, but they are real. (Hat tip to Rush Limbaugh for making me aware of this process.)

That's one of the things that makes his unbreakable bond with his supporters. They know the bullshit is for his opponents and they are in on it. The truth moment is for them.

I don't believe Sabato would know what to do with this fact, even if he understood it. But at least he is acknowledging reality as it unfolds.

Michael

Ilya Sheyman, the Illinois director of MoveOn, a campaign creature of the Soros billions, quickly took credit for the riot and promised more. “To all of those who took to the streets of Chicago,” he said, “we say ‘thank you’ for standing up and saying enough is enough. To Donald Trump, and the GOP, we say, welcome to the general election.”

Ayn Rand Answers, pg 48, "Once a country accepts censorship of the press and of speech, then nothing can be won without violence. Therefore, so long as you have free speech, protect it. This is the life and death issue in this country: do not give up the freedom of the press - of newspapers, books, magazines, television, radio, movies, and every form of presenting ideas. So long as that's free, a peaceful intellectual turn is possible." 1961.

That's the final paragraph in answer to question "Is it possible to change the direction of mankind without first experiencing disaster?" She answers yes, so long as the country is not already under dictatorship.

23 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Ilya Sheyman, the Illinois director of MoveOn, a campaign creature of the Soros billions, quickly took credit for the riot and promised more. “To all of those who took to the streets of Chicago,” he said, “we say ‘thank you’ for standing up and saying enough is enough. To Donald Trump, and the GOP, we say, welcome to the general election.”

Ayn Rand Answers, pg 48, "Once a country accepts censorship of the press and of speech, then nothing can be won without violence. Therefore, so long as you have free speech, protect it. This is the life and death issue in this country: do not give up the freedom of the press - of newspapers, books, magazines, television, radio, movies, and every form of presenting ideas. So long as that's free, a peaceful intellectual turn is possible." 1961.

That's the final paragraph in answer to question "Is it possible to change the direction of mankind without first experiencing disaster?" She answers yes, so long as the country is not already under dictatorship.

All the candidates except Trump were dropping their pants and turning around as ordered after Chicago Friday.

She would punch them, Kasich, Cruz, all the other weak, naive, useful idiots. She would happily punch them, (then again, and then a third time, just like with NB) and then she would avail herself of Trump's generous offer to cover any legal defense arising therefrom.

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Sabato said that Trump's voters are not moved by all the negative ads thrown against him. Instead, he said Trump is right, his supporter numbers actually are increasing. 

I love how the geniuses from both parties still don't get it, and still don't know how to even begin to counter it.

Today, moron asshole John Boehner endorsed Paul Ryan for president, and made it clear that he wants a brokered convention in which shitbags like him choose the candidate:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/boehner-endorses-paul-ryan-for-president-220855?lo=ap_b2

Just like Romney, this buttmunch is so politically incompetent that he still doesn't understand that his endorsement and his statements are going to drive even more people to Trump! After everything that has happened, they're still 20 steps behind, and revealing more and more of their ineptitude and why Obama has wiped the floor with them.

J

On March 14, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Jonathan said:

She loved bluster. Philosophical heft wasn't important to her. Everything was "sense of life," and Trump's got the type of arrogant, optimistic, pro American "sense of life" that she loved. And something she loved even more was standing up for an arrogant individual who was being attacked and smeared by the ugly, envious masses. She loved to piss on grubby collectivist nobodies, and snarl at them by siding with the object of their derision, regardless of that object's "philosophical heft." She would have eviscerated Trump's attackers, and then Trump would praise her and her novels, and then she'd be totally in love with him and loyal to him forever and ever.

J

LOL.  You do have a flair for turning Rand into a character of your imaginings.  Other people, too.

And then for presenting your imaginings as statements of fact.

Ellen

Glenn Beck, on air, just called John Kasich a son of a bitch. In those words. He said the republic is at stake and Kasich is only thinking about himself. He was in Chicken Little mode (The republic is at stake! The republic is at stake!) :) . Don't believe me? See here.

I could say a lot about this, but I'll just let his statement stand with only one comment. The republic isn't at stake. The USA will far outlive all of us. What's really at stake for Beck is Ted Cruz's chances of winning.

Michael

On March 4, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

And there's something off about Kasich that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it's a gut reaction of distrust. Anyone who openly surfs on the wave of altruism and the glories of littleness sets my warning bells off.

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

(I really do resonate with [Kasich's] compassion toward people who are down and out for real and I find that very attractive in a person. It's not Objectivish to say that, but since when have I ever been bothered by that? :) )

Ellen

Ellen,

Ha!

I do like the compassion of Kasich. The image in my mind when I said that was when he gave a guy a hug at a rally during a Q&A. The guy had lost both parents, had become a drug addict and God knows what all else and said he found inspiration to keep going in Kasich. I, myself, teared up. I doubt any other candidate would have done it the way Kasich did. I resonate strongly. 

I don't like the way Kasich uses altruism in his speeches and kind of brags about this stuff--that he gets several people like that at every townhall meeting and that the only reason he is seeking massive power is altruism, that is to give it all to the little guy. 

But what I wrote does seem like a big honking gotcha.

Great catch.

LOL...

I've really got to learn how to write someday.

Michael