Donald Trump

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.

Who said that? Was it Donald Trump or Dr. Seuss?

Michael wrote: That's a helluva great image concept-wise. end quote

If Trump were a fictional character I suppose he would be better liked by free enterprise, reasoning, Constitutionalists like the fans of Ayn Rand, so I am still waiting for Trump's platform. Usually, we don't expect a candidate's platform so soon, because those are usually put on a web site right around the time of the first primaries. And The Party puts out a platform every four years during the convention - but in this case Trump is so radically different . . . and unknown . . . we cannot rely on the beliefs of past conservatives to identify the deeply held beliefs of Donald Trump.

Admit it. He is full of surprises. I was no political fan of John McCain and I thought he ran a defeatist campaign against Obama but Trump's vindictiveness and vitriol came as a surprise. I hope he does not garner too many supporters who will become disillusioned as they begin to know more about him. If the majority of potential voters think Trump has little chance then why support him SERIOUSLY? It would be better to put your time to supporting Rand Paul (or Ted Cruz?)

As a few have mentioned, being such a maverick may be damaging the chances of all other Republican candidates in the presidential election but it would be worse if Trump pulled a Ross Perot, ran as a third party candidate, and guaranteed an Old Hickory Clinton win.

Well we know you would vote for Evita or O'bama if they ran on the Republican line.

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, to the best of my knowledge, have steered clear of any psychotic attacks.

Perry, dead in my book now.

Lindsay "Cross Dresser" Graham was as dumb as Biden and that takes effort.

Jeb "Common Bore" Bush is even boring when he gets angry is still viable.

A...

Pitaki - Who?

Politico's profile of Trump's campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski:

The man behind Donald Trump's run
The highly paid, PR-savvy “bomb thrower” managing Donald’s campaign is a lot like his new boss.
By Ben Schreckinger and Cate Martel
7/22/15
Politico

From the article:

The man behind Donald Trump’s presidential campaign has a knack for spectacle, an eye toward making money and a proven willingness to defy the Republican Party.

In other words, Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski is a lot like his new boss.

Lewandowski, who has been advising Trump since January and managing his improbable — and, for many Republicans, headache-inducing — run to the top of the GOP primary field in national polls has spent the past decade and a half drifting away from the party establishment.

He left a short stint at the Republican National Committee in 2001 to manage the failed reelection campaign of a rogue senator before landing eventually at the Koch brothers-backed Americans for Prosperity, where he primaried New Hampshire Republicans and mocked the state’s Democrats until joining up with Trump.

In that time, Lewandowski cemented a reputation in New Hampshire political circles for getting things done, even if it means ruffling feathers.

Trump has an eye for talent.

That's how he gets shit done.

Michael

Lindsay "Cross Dresser" Graham was as dumb as Biden and that takes effort.

From its appearance at the Glenn Beck site ... original credited to IJ Review.

-- it is not clear to me why Adam refers to Lindsey Graham as a cross-dresser. Perhaps it is because he has never married. Perhaps it is just a slur. We will never know.

Don't ask; don't tell.

Edited by william.scherk

Don't ask; don't tell.

I thought it was don't talk just yell...

Anyway sweet little Lyndsey swings like a girl too.

A...

Highlights from Donald Trump on Anderson Cooper tonight. In the first video, he discussed very openly his involvement with lobbying politicians. Cooper tried to nail him and asked if he used to be part of the problem. He said, "Absolutely."

:smile:

Look below at how he responded about racial problems. He talks about what he knows, not what he believes people want to hear.

He didn't give it up about McCain being terrible for vets. He's like a bulldog with a bone. :smile:

I missed the full interview, but this was enough for me. Especially the first video.

Michael

Dennis Miller told O'Reilly tonight about his vacation in Europe.

He said there was a character in Sweden named Doonahld Troomp who was causing trouble. Troomp said the ancient Vikings were wimps and all hell was breaking loose. What's worse, the guy doubled down, insisting the Vikings were wusses, and refused to apologize.

:)

Michael

Don't ask; don't tell.

I thought it was don't talk just yell...

Anyway sweet little Lyndsey swings like a girl too.

Doubling down on the gay insinuations, sweet. Whew. What did you do in the military, Daddy Cat o'nine tails?

Highlights from Donald Trump on Anderson Cooper tonight. In the first video, he discussed very openly his involvement with lobbying politicians. Cooper tried to nail him and asked if he used to be part of the problem. He said, "Absolutely."

Look below at how he responded about racial problems. He talks about what he knows, not what he believes people want to hear.

He didn't give it up about McCain being terrible for vets. He's like a bulldog with a bone. :smile:

I missed the full interview, but this was enough for me. Especially the first video.

Michael

Oh my god.

I was sold as soon as he said that in the private sector he has to deal with everybody.

Gee, isn't that minda what you were saying Michael?

It is fascinating watching the grinning "press" try to put Trump in the "Perot box" of 20% which was Perot's final number in 1992.

The little stuffed sausage Frank focus group tried to do that with Fox last night.

Different persons Perot and Trump and these times are dangerous and folks know it.

My feeling is at least 35% of the general election voter in 2016 agrees with Trump on the issues that he has been crystal clear on and would be willing to vote for him.

The next 16% plus are going to be a challenge.

However, Trump is capable of reaching them.

I believe he can close the deal with them with his ability to explain capitalism and making America the best again.

He should work "I Pencil"**** into his stump speech which he would nail...

A...

Leonard E. Read (1898-1983) founded FEE in 1946 and served as its president until his death.

"I, Pencil," his most famous essay, was first published in the December 1958 issue of The Freeman. Although a few of the manufacturing details and place names have changed over the past forty years, the principles are unchanged.

The lesson I have to teach is this: Leave all creative energies uninhibited. Merely organize society to act in harmony with this lesson. Let society's legal apparatus remove all obstacles the best it can. Permit these creative know-hows freely to flow. Have faith that free men and women will respond to the Invisible Hand. This faith will be confirmed. I, Pencil, seemingly simple though I am, offer the miracle of my creation as testimony that this is a practical faith, as practical as the sun, the rain, a cedar tree, the good earth.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Essays/rdPncl1.html <<<< the entire text of his essay is reprinted in the link

It is fascinating watching the grinning "press" try to put Trump in the "Perot box" of 20% which was Perot's final number in 1992.

The little stuffed sausage Frank focus group tried to do that with Fox last night.

Different persons Perot and Trump and these times are dangerous and folks know it.

My feeling is at least 35% of the general election voter in 2016 agrees with Trump on the issues that he has been crystal clear on and would be willing to vote for him.

The next 16% plus are going to be a challenge.

However, Trump is capable of reaching them.

I believe he can close the deal with them with his ability to explain capitalism and making America the best again.

He should work "I Pencil"**** into his stump speech which he would nail...

A...

Leonard E. Read (1898-1983) founded FEE in 1946 and served as its president until his death.

"I, Pencil," his most famous essay, was first published in the December 1958 issue of The Freeman. Although a few of the manufacturing details and place names have changed over the past forty years, the principles are unchanged.

The lesson I have to teach is this: Leave all creative energies uninhibited. Merely organize society to act in harmony with this lesson. Let society's legal apparatus remove all obstacles the best it can. Permit these creative know-hows freely to flow. Have faith that free men and women will respond to the Invisible Hand. This faith will be confirmed. I, Pencil, seemingly simple though I am, offer the miracle of my creation as testimony that this is a practical faith, as practical as the sun, the rain, a cedar tree, the good earth.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Essays/rdPncl1.html <<<< the entire text of his essay is reprinted in the link

I love "I, Pencil" Adam. The more you read it and think about it the more insight into people and economics you get. While in the Navy I sent away for Ludwig Von Mises book "Human Action", he was recommended by Ayn Rand in CUI. While in a bookstore in Jacksonville, Florida, I ran into a women who was interested in what I was reading. She told me about FEE and gave me their address. I subscribed to their magazine and got materials from them for the rest of my enlistment. I first read I, Pencil probably around 1968 or 69. The idea resonated with me, as a young boy I came to the realization that no one could tell me where things came from or how things were made, beyond the obvious. Searching in the library was helpful but you could never find the whole story. Similarly with people, you will never know the whole story of any person. I am an individualist, like Ayn Rand. I value the infinite variety of people. As far as I'm concerned, a person can be whatever they like, think whatever they like, I draw the line only at force applied to other people. I delight in the differences of people and I don't believe in using "reason" to browbeat everyone into marching to the same tune.

I think Carly Fiorina is a more suitable and convincing conveyor of "I, Pencil" than Donald Trump.

From the Net: The last time a feeble leader of a fading nation came bearing Peace in our time, a pugnacious controversial right-winger retorted, "You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war." That right-winger went on to lead the United Kingdom against Hitler.

Thanks to Michael for showing Trump's slogan which I have already forgotten. Was it Make America Great Again? Something like that but not memorable. So he does have a guy running his campaign. Is the new Churchill, Trump? I make politics fun. That would be a good slogan for Donald Trump.

Imagine Trump telling the following internet joke. A nurse was on duty in the Emergency Room when a young woman with purple hair styled into a punk rocker Mohawk, sporting a variety of tattoos, and wearing strange clothing, entered. It was quickly determined that the patient had acute appendicitis, so she was scheduled for immediate surgery.

When she was completely disrobed on the operating table, the staff noticed that her pubic hair had been dyed green and above it there was a tattoo that read ' Keep off the grass.' Once the surgery was completed, the surgeon wrote a short note on the patient's dressing, which said 'Sorry . . . Had to mow the lawn.'

This is one of the questions on a lot of Republican's minds.

And I think Trump's position is sound. He needs to be treated fairly.

Or else.

Exclusive: Trump threatens third-party run
By Kevin Cirilli and Bob Cusack
07/23/15
The Hill

From the article:

Donald Trump says the chances that he will launch a third-party White House run will “absolutely” increase if the Republican National Committee is unfair to him during the 2016 primary season.

“The RNC has not been supportive. They were always supportive when I was a contributor. I was their fair-haired boy,” the business mogul told The Hill in a 40-minute interview from his Manhattan office at Trump Tower on Wednesday. “The RNC has been, I think, very foolish.”

Pressed on whether he would run as a third-party candidate if he fails to clinch the GOP nomination, Trump said that “so many people want me to, if I don't win.”

“I'll have to see how I'm being treated by the Republicans,” Trump said. “Absolutely, if they're not fair, that would be a factor.”

Here's the video. Notice how respectfully Cirilli and Cusack talk about him. It stands out because it is so odd in the current media climate.

Maybe we need media climate change. :smile:

Michael

Michael wrote about Trump: Does he say some stupid crap at times? Yup. end quote

Here is an interesting article from a few days ago which puts its finger on a point I was searching for.

The Tracinski Letter July 18, 2015 America Doesn't Need an Id Donald Trump Is the Right's Joe Biden by Robert Tracinski

. . . . None of this makes any real sense from a purely intellectual perspective. Trump himself is hardly an avatar of ideological purity. He donated to the Clintons, endorsed Canadian-style socialized medicine, has been pro-choice and pro-gun-control, and has even flip-flopped on immigration, once criticizing Republicans for being too harsh on the issue . . . . But it would be a mistake to think that any of this is a response to specific policies, either Trump's or those of the Republican establishment. Rather, it is a response to the hypocrisy, cowardice, and timidity of the establishment, and that's not something of which we should be too dismissive . . . . People give someone like Trump a chance because they're tired of glib politicians who repeat over-rehearsed lines crafted by consultants to appeal to focus groups. They want someone who will gives it to us straight and come out and say the things everybody else is afraid to say. It's the same reason they flocked to Ben Carson, who also had a tendency for untactful statements. We may wince when we hear these gaffes, but for voters who are starved for something genuine, they are proof that this is someone who is not afraid. The very fact that what he says is offensive is proof that he must be giving us the unvarnished truth.

The problem is that Trump is giving it to us straight, all right, but it's straight from the emotional part of the brain, unfiltered not only by tact but by reason or principle. (Update: The latest is a scurrilous attack on John McCain for having been captured during the Vietnam War.)

What his supporters want is someone who will be the nation's Id. In certain theories of psychology, the "Id" or "It" is the "unconscious" mind driven by raw impulses and appetitesimpulses that are usually suppressed, filtered, and harnessed for better ends. So these supporters want something that seems more genuine, precisely because it is so obviously not stifled by any kind of filter.

But a leader who represents the unfiltered, uncontrolled Id is the last thing we need. I say that, not from the perspective of the establishment, which is worried about upsetting the status quo. I say that from the perspective of a small-government radical. The last thing we need is a leader who acts on his uncontrolled impulses. The last thing we need is someone who thinks everything, including government, is about him and his self-aggrandizement and his emotion of the moment.

That's precisely what we have too much of right now. You know which political figure reminds me the most of Donald Trump? Joe Biden, the famous Senatorial blow-hard who turns every congressional hearing into an arena for personal grandstanding, and who is also famously unable to control his mouth. The only real difference between Biden and Trump? One had bad hair plugs, the other has a cross-hatched double comb-over.

If our goal is to control government, then we also need to control our politicians. Even better, we should want leaders who show an ability to control themselves, according to the dictates of their own principles and a sense of propriety.

Thomas Jefferson got it right: "In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in man but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution." Nobody was less of a political Idor a greater contrast to Donald Trumpthan George Washington. Yet he represents precisely the ideal to which our politics should aspire: the leader devoid of personal ambition or desire for self-aggrandizement.

America does not need an Id. It needs principlesrational principles about liberty and individual rightsand leaders who will stick to them.

I am an individualist, like Ayn Rand. I value the infinite variety of people. As far as I'm concerned, a person can be whatever they like, think whatever they like, I draw the line only at force applied to other people. I delight in the differences of people and I don't believe in using "reason" to browbeat everyone into marching to the same tune.

I think Carly Fiorina is a more suitable and convincing conveyor of "I, Pencil" than Donald Trump.

I have that same individualistic center myself.

I would have no problem with either of them as President for four years.

Be nice to put them both on the ticket if someone would be willing to be VEEP. Selling them as a true hydra headed Executive.

A co-Presidency for real.

A...

Trump is willing to blackmail the entire country and everyone who deserves someone better than Hillary unless he is treated FAIRLY by the Republican establishment? He will guarantee an Old Hickory Clinton victory if the Republicans are mean to him? That is horrible. He cares nothing for his country unless his view is so skewed that he can't imagine America ever succeeding unless it is with Trump as its El Duce, Mussolini. Is this the guy we want on the red phone with Putin?

The last thing we need is a leader who acts on his uncontrolled impulses. The last thing we need is someone who thinks everything, including government, is about him and his self-aggrandizement and his emotion of the moment.

Peter,

Imagine that.

A Randian said this.

I guess Hank Rearden would have been too evil to run for president, too.

He was a businessman who put his name on all his accomplishments. Big letters, too.

Evil...

Pure evil...

It's all about him...

And that's the last thing we need...

Self-aggrandizement and refusal to bow to the herd.

btw - In all the people you post who do their in-depth analyses, they always leave out the one factor that makes Trump's name-calling and aggressiveness work. I mean, come on. Is there any lack of other political figures who are aggressive and name-call? Is aggressive and name-calling the real reason Trump is winning massive political fans while they don't and can't?

It's the same damn behavior.

I can give you oodles of examples.

As yourself, why does it work when Trump does it, but not when they do?

The answer is easy: credibility.

Trump builds stuff. They don't.

Trump knows how to deal with reality and build great stuff with it.

People see this.

Michael

Trump is willing to blackmail the entire country...

Heh.

Poor little America.

We need to protect its precious feelings.

Is big bad Trump threatening to give it a booboo?

Michael

btw - Ann Coulter said it best. If you want to guarantee a Hillary victory, let her run against Rubio or Bush. Also, are you seriously saying the Republican party SHOULD treat Trump unfairly?

Here are some Trump protesters in Laredo Texas just waiting to show Trump a thing or two.

<script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

Michael

Here are some Trump protesters in Laredo Texas just waiting to show Trump a thing or two.

<script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

Michael

I would not storm a day care center with this group!

Interesting story.

Communist China, at least some of the time, understands property rights better than Trump does.

Interesting. "It is illegal here to demolish property without an agreement" Perhaps "A man's home is his castle" means something in China, maybe that's where the saying came from. Trump should be embarrassed to see this, has any interviewer asked him about his stand on eminent domain?