Donald Trump

9 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

image.jpeg.c52ebdb690e30928381441a03c266

After seeing this, I've tried.

I swear I've tried.

But some things are just too big for ya'.

Here's a Gawker story to see if this will help those unsatisfied with Trump:

Caitlyn Jenner Wants To Be Ted Cruz's "Trans Ambassador"

For you Cruz supporters, go for it. 

The sky's the limit.

:)

Michael

Boy, did CAIR get a slap in the face. Here's a link to a left-wing site reporting this just to dampen any right-wing spin.

In short, CAIR ran a poll of Muslims in the USA who are registered to vote.

Both Dems won, of course. But Trump was the favorite GOP candidate of Muslim voters.

Why some Muslim voters are betting on Donald Trump

Michael

All vacuous bobble heads. But my guys a winner. )

I served with a genius, knew a genius and he was a friend of mine. Trump is no genius. 

Hit a new low. Talked about his manhood. Who knew, just in case anyone wondered he cleared it up quickly. ) But he held back on the punch line since he got a quick laugh. I swear he was going to mention how pleased Melania is.

Hes selling bs and I aint buyin. He reminds my of that guy.

RInse and repeat. 

2016-03-04T022050Z_136085550_TB3EC3406IG

1 hour ago, turkeyfoot said:

I served with a genius, knew a genius and he was a friend of mine. Trump is no genius. 

Hit a new low. Talked about his manhood. Who knew, just in case anyone wondered he cleared it up quickly. ) But he held back on the punch line since he got a quick laugh. I swear he was going to mention how pleased Melania is.

RInse and repeat. 

2016-03-04T022050Z_136085550_TB3EC3406IG

You do remember who made the original comparison, right?

Here are some doubt items that are being backed up in press or tweets now.

Expect to see them in the news soon or maybe discussed here if they become a bigger thing than now.

1. Trump does not support H-1B visa abuse for cheap labor. He seems to have misunderstood Megyn Kelly when she asked about visas for skilled foreigners. His example was a foreigner who studies computer science at a university in the USA being able to get a job in Silicon valley after he leaves school. He wants a visa for that dude. He doesn't want visas for things like the Disney situation (Disney hired foreigners and laid off its American employees, then demanded the Americans train their replacements before severance on pain of not getting full benefits).

2. Today Trump appointed Jeff Sessions as Chairman of his National Security Advisory Committee.

3. Trump University actually does have an "A" from the BBB instead of a D- as Megyn stated (although it did have a D- in the past).

Michael

1 hour ago, turkeyfoot said:

RInse and repeat. 

Trump wasn't trying to appeal to the intellectual crowd with the hands commentary, he was appealing to those men who view endowment as a symbol of power--and that mindset is out there, there are MANY of them.  There are more men voting with that kind of mindset than intellectuals.  Trump was speaking to a demographic with the exchange, was a smart move.

And the follow-up is trending as well:

8 hours ago, anthony said:

"Dear Senator Goldwater:

Thank you for the autographed copy of The Conscience of a Conservative [...] I regard you as the only hope of the anticollectivist side on today's political scene, and I have defended your position at every opportunity ...

[...]But there is no such thing as a "Conservative" philosophy. It is the lack of a philosophy that has brought the American conservatives to helplessness, vacillation and successive defeats. [...]"

Letters of Ayn Rand - June 4, 1960

It's still true, isn't it...gads, she was spot-on so long ago, and nothing has changed, except we're circling the drain much more swiftly now.

REB

8 hours ago, KorbenDallas said:

Trump wasn't trying to appeal to the intellectual crowd with the hands commentary, he was appealing to those men who view endowment as a symbol of power--and that mindset is out there, there are MANY of them.  There are more men voting with that kind of mindset than intellectuals.  Trump was speaking to a demographic with the exchange, was a smart move.

And the follow-up is trending as well:

I hear that. Dazzle with bull shit, baffle with "brilliance". Hes turd polishing, the only thing he can sell. Lets not confuse his wares with quality, even if it has a Machiavellian component. It doesnt matter whos buying, his turds are still unproven, smelly, vacuous nonsense.

My take is that he wouldnt pass a 5th grade test on the Constitution, Bill of Rights or the DOI.

17 minutes ago, turkeyfoot said:

My take is that he wouldnt pass a 5th grade test on the Constitution, Bill of Rights or the DOI.

Geoff,

If you bet on that, you would probably lose that bet.

It's easy to confuse the wrapper with the package.

People don't do what Trump has done on a 5th grade mentality. Try building a 92 story building, for instance. Then try doing hundreds of them...

Michael

FYI...Second to fourth digit ratio: a predictor of adult penile length.

The second to fourth digit ratio (2D:4D) has been proposed as a putative biomarker for prenatal testosterone and covaries with the sensitivity of the androgen receptor (AR). Both prenatal testosterone and the AR play a central role in penile growth. In this study, we investigated the relationship between digit ratio and penile length. Korean men who were hospitalized for urological surgery at a single tertiary academic centre were examined in this study, and 144 men aged 20 years or older who gave informed consent were prospectively enrolled. Right-hand second- and fourth-digit lengths were measured by a single investigator prior to measurement of penile length. Under anaesthesia, flaccid and stretched penile lengths were measured by another investigator who did not measure nor have any the information regarding the digit lengths. Univariate and multivariate analysis using linear regression models showed that only height was a significant predictive factor for flaccid penile length (univariate analysis: r=0.185, P=0.026; multivariate analysis: r=0.172, P=0.038) and that only digit ratio was a significant predictive factor for stretched penile length (univariate analysis:r=-0.216, P=0.009; multivariate analysis: r=-0.201, P=0.024; stretched penile length=-9.201×digit ratio + 20.577). Based on this evidence, we suggest that the digit ratio can predict adult penile size and that the effects of prenatal testosterone may in part explain the differences in adult penile length.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21725330

I have a Facebook friend with whom I have been discussing Trump until recently. I stopped. One of the reasons was I kept upsetting him and I like him enough to not to want to do that. 

The final episode went something like this. After saying I (and another person) were intelligent, he started talking disparagingly about Trump supporters worshipping at the shrine of Trump. So I mentioned I needed to go for the moment. I had to get to Trump Church because I had not said my morning prayers. He got pissed. :)

I'm not going to give out his name because I am sure he does not want to be dragged into more of this stuff. But my interaction with him highlighted a couple of things I found fascinating. 

The first is that what you see on Facebook and elsewhere from anti-Trumpers is not--let me repeat--is not a prompt for discussion. These people are venting

They have no interest in an intelligent exchange of ideas. It may seem like it at first, but once you start showing the actual rational reasoning behind your support for Trump, they get very, very pissed. This is where I generally back off (except here on OL--and even then, I've invited others to set up threads for candidates they prefer). Why do I back off? Because Trump hatred is so deep that friends will become enemies over it. Real enemies, not bantering frenemies (like Marc and I are).

Here's an indication. For those who use Facebook, how many times have you seen a comment like the following? "If you support Donald Trump, please unfriend me. I mean it. Please unfriend me and save me the trouble of unfriending you once I find out." This kind of thing is all over Facebook. These are generally intelligent rational people who are willing to sacrifice years of warm beneficial relationships over a political candidate.

Can you imagine a similar messages being posted about Ben Carson? Or Marco Rubio? Or John Kasich? Even Ted Cruz? Look how silly it sounds. If you support John Kasich, please unfriend me. I mean it. Please unfriend me and save me the trouble of unfriending you once I find out."

Can you even imagine Trump supporters doing this? They don't. They may mock lefties and so on, but they are always open to talking to them.

So something underground is involved. It's emotional, not rational. And the emotion is so deep, it's blinding to those who feel it.

I think I know what it is and that brings me to the second point. There is a fundamental division between people.

I hate to use the term "social metaphysics" because of how overly-broad that concept is and how it was abused in the early Objectivism days, but if you narrow it a bit, it works. In this form, social metaphysics is how some people, for whatever reason, feel a deep-seated need to belong to a small elite. They need to feel superior in relation to large masses of others and their self-esteem is tied to it. Their very sense of identity as human beings it wedded to this craving for superiority. It's visceral. If they can't be superior, they feel doomed. What's worse, they cannot exist with any kind of inner stability or serenity without being able to disparage large patches of humanity. They literally need others who they deem inferior to feel their own individual self. Life is not worth living if they can't look down on others. It's survival level to them.

Note, this is not the same thing as feeling superior as a piano player when you are an expert, or superior in your knowledge of philosophy because you actually read the books, or something like that. This is a feeling of total superiority akin to how humans feel superior to a dog or a monkey. Rand herself suffered from this at times (see her essay, "The Missing Link" in Philosophy: Who Needs It for a good example--Rand posited a form of subhuman with an "anti-conceptual mentality" and she often pointed to masses of these subhumans and that gave her plenty to talk about :) ).

My Facebook friend is one of these elitists, but he was so open and honest about it, I was taken aback for a moment. He kept going on and on about how Trump supporters were immune to facts and logic and yada yada yada. I explained that they are not immune. Instead, they have stopped listening.

They are sick and tired of elites looking down their noses at them, being constantly called racist, bigot etc., by default, being totally ignored except at times to get votes or tax money, tired of terrorists being invited in, tired of the bad economy, and so on. I won't go through the entire litany of things they are tired of, but you get the idea. When it's time to listen to elitists, Trump supporters are shrugging.

And I told him that if he wants to communicate with Trump supporters, he needs to start the relationship over and cut the following all-pervasive subtext from his messages: "You have to listen to me because I'm smarter than you." I told him: Just. Stop. It.

I probably went overboard when I let him know his very diatribes against Trump were one the best pro-Trump recruiting tools out there. (There I go with me and my mouth :) , but it's true...)

And that's when he let me know that he had no interest in engaging with anyone except people who agree with him or those possibly in doubt. And further said, "The fact is I do look down my nose at Trump supporters."

And there it is. He owned it. And he didn't back down afterwards.

I'm not sure many elitists have that level of self-honesty to blurt it out so openly and clearly, but there it is.

The reason these people feel Trump supporters are immune to reason is because they, themselves, are immune to reason if they have to meet other humans as equals when they communicate. If they cannot be The Superior Ones talking down to the inferior masses, their reason deserts them and they scream and lash out when they have to stand on their own. They don't want discussion. They want compliance.

But the fact is that you cannot enslave a majority for long. These elitists have had power in America for a couple of decades and they pretty much fucked up everything. :) So the majority is rebelling and getting behind someone who actually does great stuff and talks in a manner anyone can understand. They are getting behind Donald Trump.

And this is causing one of the most curious things I have seen so far coming from elitists. It's given in a WaPo article from today. The headline says it all. 

Psychologists and massage therapists are reporting ‘Trump anxiety’ among clients

I wonder if I should mention this to my friend... (Dayaamm!... there I go again...)

Michael

Michael:

According to Rush, just pointed out WAPO is the elitist's chosen paper, over the NY Times, in the Empire's center in DC.

He also pointed out that this same pattern arose after Bush was elected in 2000.

Additionally, and I have not read the article yet, Rush explained that it was one therapist and two of the therapist's clients.

Maybe he was wrong about that.

A...

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Geoff,

If you bet on that, you would probably lose that bet.

It's easy to confuse the wrapper with the package.

People don't do what Trump has done on a 5th grade mentality. Try building a 92 story building, for instance. Then try doing hundreds of them...

Michael

I dont doubt he is gifted in some sense.

Fact. He didnt build any of them. ) But he knew a lot of very very smart people. He knew......smart smart people. Very very. 

I do not view that as a distinction with no difference.

Would it not be more accurate and honest to say it was his business acumen and money? I dont mean to cast aspersions and am not pissing in the wind. )

I know, I stick built houses for a living, designed and built, compounded angles on roof rafters. The only difference in my being able to build something and him, and yes its substantial, is money, networking, and paying politicians.

Its the anti constitutional foundation built upon a good one thats rotted and if youre right he is going to build on the wonky one. The outcome of the structure is in question.

Given the team aspect of the project, the points thus far add up to being in favor of one man getting the house built. Excuse me if I am less than sanguine. 

For goodness sakes, hes running for President. 

Its not hard to make politicians look dumb.

Tony quoted Ayn Rand: [...]But there is no such thing as a "Conservative" philosophy. It is the lack of a philosophy that has brought the American conservatives to helplessness, vacillation and successive defeats. [...]" end quote.

I totally agreed with Rand at the time. She was spot on. But the current Republican based, Tea Party is not helpless. Unfortunately, Trump is a philosophic illiterate and not part of that movement. Trump is too explosive, too low class, too unable to hold anything in, still too much of an unknown, untrustworthy, and he isn’t going to change. Yet if he were to get the nomination he would be a maniac campaigner over Clinton. He would belittle Sanders, until Bernie shriveled into a cocoon, which isn’t the way I would advise him to run his campaign but it could be a winnable strategy.  I will continue to monitor Trump’s web site and I will still get and read his emails. But I am really troubled about supporting him, and that is not based on the establishment or any particular commentator or former Presidential front runner. After the last debate I would now vote for the remaining candidates in his order: Cruz, Rubio, Kasich, or Trump OVER Sanders or Clinton. Yes, I would vote for Kasich over Trump.

Watch that delegate count. The Republican Convention is in Cleveland, Ohio on July 18th to the 21st.

Peter

Some upcoming Republican events. Saturday March 5th. Kansas. Kentucky. Maine. Louisiana.  Sunday March 6th. Puerto Rico. Tuesday March 8th. Hawaii. Idaho. Michigan. Mississippi. Thursday March 10. Virgin Islands. Saturday March 12. Guam. Washington, DC. Tuesday March 15. Florida. Illinois. Missouri. North Carolina. Northern Mariana Islands. Ohio. Tuesday March 22. American Samoa. Arizona.  Idaho. Utah.

Friday to Sunday April 1-3. North Dakota. Tuesday, April 5: Wisconsin. Saturday, April 9: Colorado. Tuesday, April 19: New York. Tuesday, April 26: Connecticut. Delaware. Maryland. Pennsylvania. Rhode Island.

Tuesday, May 3: Indiana. Tuesday, May 10: Nebraska. West Virginia. Tuesday, May 17: Oregon. Tuesday, May 24: Washington.

Tuesday, June 7: California. Montana. New Jersey. New Mexico. South Dakota

4 minutes ago, turkeyfoot said:

You just said that. ) The unscientific polling says women say so what.

I don't think that I just said that, however, that may be how you interpreted what I did post.

At any rate, I am well aware of our opposite sexes wide differences on the subject.

A...

3 hours ago, turkeyfoot said:

I hear that. Dazzle with bull shit, baffle with "brilliance". Hes turd polishing, the only thing he can sell. Lets not confuse his wares with quality, even if it has a Machiavellian component. It doesnt matter whos buying, his turds are still unproven, smelly, vacuous nonsense.

Maybe he wouldn't. But our resilient system doesn't rely upon any Presidential understanding of constitutional limits for the enforcement of constitutional limits, that's funny anyway and would never work. Instead, other branches operate to enforce the limits, by making full use of their respective powers. Granted, both political parties everywhere, and judges, the entire political class, has been slack lately, but soon they will be bright and energetic, and the checks and balances suddenly will be back in operation. Both parties will be focused on defeating him, the way things are going, instead of neither, like the last seven years.

36 minutes ago, turkeyfoot said:

Its the anti constitutional foundation built upon a good one thats rotted and if youre right he is going to build on the wonky one. The outcome of the structure is in question.

Geoff,

I have a much better metaphor than the linear one of foundation.

The whole problem with relying on an ideology and not connecting that to the reality in front of you is that you can make a serious mistake and kill the very thing you are trying to save.

Organic things are like that. They live and die and you can't control all aspects of their survival with a document. One of the things living beings need is proper sequence and correct attention to illness.

Since you build houses, you know the importance of sequence. Do things out of sequence and you don't build the house. So... I can almost hear the mental wheels turning :) , one could say that within this metaphor, if we don't get the foundation right, the walls will fall.

I won't extend that metaphor except to say if you make your foundation on words only, no wall can sit on it. The foundation needs concrete and iron.

The new metaphor I'm thinking about, though, is the alcoholic in Brazil who is addicted to pinga (a rotgut version of rum). Don't forget, I was once a drop-down everyday drunk so I got to see some of this stuff up close (and drink my fair share of pinga :) ). A person dependent on pinga reaches a curious stage, if his problem goes on long enough, where he dies if he goes cold turkey. This is on record in hospitals. Such a pinga-addicted alcoholic needs internment in a hospital for a period of time to get sober and still live. Does that mean he will live his entire life in a hospital and the routines he finds there? No. It only means if he doesn't go through the hospital stage, he dies.

I don't see Trump as a perfect candidate. Go back in this thread and you will see me say several times he is an intermediary candidate. And I mean intermediary on the timeline of going from sickness to health, not intermediary on compromising principles. Trump is a great achiever. Having the government run by such a man for a while is the hospital for a hopelessly pinga-drunk USA.

And what guarantees do we have the constitutionalists and freedom ideology people will take over after that? We don't. But we don't have any guarantees with anybody. So I say look at people like Sarah Palin, Jeff Sessions and so on who Trump is surrounding himself with. He will hand off the government to them, if the voters agree, after he saves the country's financial and military life through implementing proper business practices and good organizational habits.

Also, this may surprise you, but he will be one hell of an inspiring leader. Don't believe me? Look how he is loved by his employees the world over.

Trump as candidate is one thing. He came to the pigsty of US elections prepared to get dirty, wallow in shit and hogtie the pig. And that's exactly what he is doing. He didn't make the filth. He didn't make the pigsty. And he didn't make the rules. That's what was there when he showed up. 

Trump the leader is quite another thing. He's even a stickler for good hygiene and cleanliness.

Michael

12 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Trump as candidate is one thing. He came to the pigsty of US elections prepared to get dirty, wallow in shit and hogtie the pig. And that's exactly what he is doing. He didn't make the filth. He didn't make the pigsty. And he didn't make the rules. That's what was there when he showed up. 

Trump the leader is quite another thing. He's even a stickler for good hygiene and cleanliness.

Michael

Very astute Michael.

I have lead and I have been a supporter of a leader and I have always been able to make the distinction of my role for the effort that had to be made to accomplish goals.

I also see Trump as a phenomenal one term President and I think he would have no problem moving on.

A...

45 minutes ago, Selene said:

I also see Trump as a phenomenal one term President and I think he would have no problem moving on.

Adam,

I've seen you refer to Trump as a one-term president before and I don't understand why.

Once a person is running the show with lots of plans in motion, he wants to finish them. I see Trump after 4 years with a crapload of things still being built. For him to be a one-term president, he would have to plan--right from the beginning--all his projects to be accomplished (or near finalization) within four years.

I just don't see him doing that. I think, once in power, he is going to survey the terrain, dream big, consult his experts, analyze the obstacles, then draw up plans with timelines based on the reality he observes, not on a wish to get it all done in four years. I do expect him to take the term of office into account after he gets a handle on what things look like from the inside, but I think he's going to be busier than a mofo during the first couple of years--way too busy to think like that. And by then, he'll need the extra four years.

Don't forget one of his big dreams is to make the Israel deal where Arab countries acknowledge Israel's right to exist, right to exist where it exists, and is fine enough with it to live in peace. Trump has said, many times, this is the mother of all deals. I don't imagine he sees this as a deal that can be made in four years and be lasting. It needs a lot of preparation and I firmly believe he will give it his all--up to every last tiny bit--and all of it will be his best effort.

Michael

18 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Adam,

I've seen you refer to Trump as a one-term president before and I don't understand why.

Once a person is running the show with lots of plans in motion, he wants to finish them. I see Trump after 4 years with a crapload of things still being built. For him to be a one-term president, he would have to plan--right from the beginning--all his projects to be accomplished (or near finalization) within four years.

I just don't see him doing that. I think, once in power, he is going to survey the terrain, dream big, consult his experts, analyze the obstacles, then draw up plans with timelines based on the reality he observes, not on a wish to get it all done in four years. I do expect him to take the term of office into account after he gets a handle on what things look like from the inside, but I think he's going to be busier than a mofo during the first couple of years--way too busy to think like that. And by then, he'll need the extra four years.

Don't forget one of his big dreams is to make the Israel deal where Arab countries acknowledge Israel's right to exist, right to exist where it exists, and is fine enough with it to live in peace. Trump has said, many times, this is the mother of all deals. I don't imagine he sees this as a deal that can be made in four years and be lasting. It needs a lot of preparation and I firmly believe he will give it his all--up to every last tiny bit--and all of it will be his best effort.

Michael

Michael:

Understood.  However, he is also a realist and understands that after six (6) years, the whole dynamic changes.

Now, if he wants to see his family members to be groomed that is another probability.

Your probability is more possible than my possibility.

Yours is at least 75% and mine is less than 20%.

A...

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

My Facebook friend [...] kept going on about how Trump supporters were immune to facts and logic and yada yada yada. I explained that they are not immune. Instead, they have stopped listening.

I've heard a parallel complaint many times from climate alarmists who talk about how scientifically ignorant the non-enthused masses are, etc.

And I've often heard elitist attitudes expressed by liberal academics - some of whom will forthrightly state that they consider themselves in a position to know best what's in the interests of the masses who are too dumb to make decisions for themselves.

Thus I've expected, from liberals, the panic reaction to Trump's popularity which is occurring.  Also from the Republican Party leadership, with the threat Trump bodes to the Party's crony power base.

But I'm surmising (correctly?) that the Facebook friend you describe is Objectivism-oriented, and you've posted quite a bit indicating that similar reactions are widespread amongst the "Objectivish."  I've been surprised by the extent of visceral negativity toward Trump and his fans displayed by persons strongly influenced by Rand.  I would have thought that they would see Trump's popularity as a good sign that there are lots of people in this country who are sick and tired of being manipulated and disregarded by intellectuals and politicians and the mainstream media.

Ellen