Donald Trump

... to some minds here and there, the contest for the Republican nomination is already won. It is all over. The polls are speaking. Trump just polled 42% nationally, which will translate into winning all the primaries, or enough of the delegates to clinch the nomination. He has the Magic 1237 in the bag, morons.

In those minds, It Is Over. Pay Up. Eat Crow. Bow Down. Enter the Trump Era. Believe.

William,

You err.

Cheerleading and rooting is not the same thing as declaring victory.

(This is a fixed mindset versus growth mindset thing, but that starts to fall way outside the scope of rooting and stumping.)

However, based on past performance, I do expect Trump to keep up his strategic competence and win this thing.

That is what winners do.

Win.

Sometimes they lose, but they generally win.

:)

"Over" is past tense. The future still looms and, like the growth-mindset winner I myself struggle to be, I hope Trump wins, but I don't know for sure until this thing is in the past tense.

So there is still hope for the crow-eaters...

Meanwhile, back at the farm, here's a bone for the anti-Trumpers:

Trump Paves the Way for Bernie Sanders to Win

01.06.2016-16.24.png

There.

The mainstream said it, so it must be true.

Feel better?

Michael

If a failed terrorist goes on Al Jazeera and talks about how good terrorism is, do we enthusiastically rave about how wonderful a prospect he would be for the Oval Office? Dumb question - apparently some of us would.

REB

Aristotle would be critical of that comparison.

A...

Here's a round-up of stories on the run-up to the first primaries, 90% focused tightly on 'ground game' and testing the hoopla and punditry. A lot of material to skim or read or save for later. Of most interest for those at greatest risk of premature TrumpGasms. Boring. Analysis. Iowa. New Hampshire. Snooze.

Now my sentimental favourite may look like a young Grandpa Munster, but he still gets big bitey kisses from the Hippopotamus -- and some of these stories also cover this insinuating, sleazy side. Cruz is double-passport fellow-traveling Canuckistani, a fake evangelical. He's not 'one of us.' He's Cuban-Canadian, not natural born White USA, and is barred from the Oval Office by the constitution and Birtherism, plus he is for amnesty. I like him, but he's a bit of a maniac. Remember this, not a lot of evangelicals come out of Cuba, okay? Oh, and how can he be eligible for the Oval Office if he was foreign-born? People are asking. People bring it up. People are gonna talk about that, what can you do?

CRUZ_0819NAT_32638724.JPG

I am sure Trump and groupies will toss more offal in the sleaze salad if they feel the least bit threatened on the hustings. It is all for the good of the country.

I can also imagine Donald Trump hewing to the Birther line even if Cruz thumps him in Iowa and Texas and elsewhere. I can imagine Trump going on about it long into the future, much as he invested his time and money on Alien Mysteries over Obama's citizenship.

We might not like sleaze and muck and bullshit, but that is the kind of campaign it is shaping up to be. There are twenty-six (26) days to the first tallies from Iowa. The shit will be flying from now till then.

Measuring the Trump brand: The Donald may be pre-empting the campaign ground game

With Mr. Trump dominating in the polls, even seasoned political operatives are asking whether this ground game tactic will be effective. They believe that Mr. Trump’s strength in the polls and his large crowds wherever he appears will translate into votes. And when all is said and done, these overwhelming poll numbers will magically translate into votes without prodding voters to show up.

The problem with this thinking is that stating your views in a poll and attending a celebrity candidate’s event to see him or her “up close” are ego-driven behaviors. They are significantly different from leaving your home, going to the polls, and then waiting in-line to vote for a candidate in a primary — or, even more, challenging, going to an hours-long caucus.

Not all behaviors are weighted equally in one’s to-do list. Entertainment is different from exercising your civic duty and the behavioral-minded political scientist who understands this, and responds with strategies that address this, will win. Said another way, voting is a “locus of control” activity where potential voters need to be reinforced by candidate assistants so that they will indeed vote. Self-interest motivates us, and the campaign that comprehends this need by tracking primary-day behavior will be the victor.

In recent weeks, we have seen a change in Mr. Trump’s numbers that leads one to question the efficacy of this media-oriented model. Some polls indicate that Mr. Trump does well with new primary voters and is 10 points behind with traditional primary voters. This leads many to think the polls alone don’t a winner make, especially when you consider the two basics of polling: reliability and validity. Poll reliability means that you get the same results within your margin of error consistently over time. ...

[...]

Considering the relatively new poll numbers in Iowa, we see a trend in which Sen. Ted Cruz’s ground game strategy appears to be working and is affecting the numbers. This reinforces the questionable validity of earlier polls that had Mr. Trump well ahead even in Iowa.

And the tightening of the race in New Hampshire, with the very-organized Chris Christie ground game should also be of concern for Mr. Trump. What’s being tested in New Hampshire and Iowa are whether only a celebrity-based campaign without a ground game will win a caucus or primary.

Outcomes have consequences. What happens if Mr. Trump loses Iowa and New Hampshire? Could this significantly change the dynamics of the campaign? Would this alter the Trump perception of being a winner? Moreover, would this then propel another candidate to center stage? These questions will be addressed empirically over time.

Candidate Barack Obama won the nomination because of the mainstream media, sophisticated social media tactics, and an organized ground game. Yes, an organized ground game. It was an intelligent mix of all three, not just one, that got him to the White House. The real question is whether Mr. Trump has pre-empted the ground game and replaced it with something new, fresh and exciting, and thus has changed the way we nominate candidates. This watershed strategy will be confirmed or debunked soon. In less than 30 days, we’ll begin to find the answer.

C6EqSwi.jpg

How Trump and Cruz are trying to win the Iowa caucuses

[On] Texas Senator Ted Cruz: I don’t care what the polls say on any particular day, Cruz is the frontrunner in Iowa. Besides having an advantage in the fundraising department, Cruz’s Iowa advantage is that he has tremendous appeal to conservative activists who are frustrated with everything Washington.

The majority of these people are the type that caucus every cycle, which means that the Cruz campaign doesn’t have to spend a ton of time educating its supporters about how the caucuses work or motivate them to turn out on February 1st. The Cruz campaign is also committed to Iowa. The Texas Senator has spent ample time here and is scheduled to be all over the state this month.

The Iowa Caucuses are Cruz’s to lose.

When doing your Trump primary math, look beyond N.H.

In short, the establishment’s hope that Trump can be stopped when the primary elections move to less politically conservative states may not actually be true. Beyond that, if a more moderate candidate doesn’t emerge out of the early primary and caucus races, the establishment may find that it has no choice but to hold its nose and put all its chips behind Ted Cruz as the last best hope to stop Trump.

cruz-family1.png

All about the ground game: GOP campaigns crank up Iowa ops | In-depth look at candidates 'ground game' in Iowa

“While someone like Ted Cruz appeals to the activist. Someone who goes to the caucus on a regular basis, Trump appeals to someone who caucus is a complete foreign word to them,” said Robinson. “It's a heavier lift for the Trump campaign to get their people out. The advantage Trump has is he has the highest ceiling of all the candidates. He has broad appeal. That's great.”

Also in Trump’s favor, his Iowa operation is run by Chuck Laudner, who helped Santorum surge from behind to victory four years ago. But there is a lot the Trump campaign isn’t saying about its ground game.

For example, they won’t say how many precinct captains they have signed up. Top campaigns will have a captain at every one of the 1,681 caucus sites to speak for their candidate and sell him or her to the participants. All Trump’s campaign would tell Fox News is that they now have 17 paid staffers in Iowa and promise they’ll have captains at every caucus site on Feb. 1.

First Read: The Sprint to Iowa and New Hampshire Starts Now

[H]ere's a handy guide to explain WHY the individual 2016 candidates could end up winning the early states. Or why they could fall short. Think of it as a helpful exercise to make sure, come Feb. 2 (the day after Iowa) or Feb. 10 (the day after New Hampshire), we're not missing a big story out there.

[...]

Hillary Clinton wins both Iowa and New Hampshire, essentially clicking the Dem nomination

She learned her lesson from 2008 and built an impressive organization in Iowa, and used that success as a catapult to victory in New Hampshire

She always was a formidable Democratic presidential candidate, who only fell short in '08 to a more formidable candidate (Obama)

The Democratic Party was ready to start the general election

[...]

Ted Cruz wins Iowa, finishes in Top 2 in New Hampshire

He ran one of the best campaigns (in terms of organization and money)

He capitalized on -- and consolidated -- the evangelical vote, especially to overperform in New Hampshire

He benefitted from hugging Trump, as well as being perceived as a less hostile candidate to the GOP establishment than Trump was

He flew a bit under the Trump radar and avoided being put through the ringer the way other frontrunners usually are at this point in time.

cruz.jpg

Oct 15 2015. Trump Sets up Formidable Iowa Ground Game
The Ground Game

There are 1,682 precincts in Iowa. Laudner's team is determining the number of supporters needed in each of those precincts to result in a caucus-day win and then identifying "precinct captains" to help turn out those numbers on caucus day.

"Let's say we need 40 votes in whatever precinct—[the designated Trump precinct captain] will say, 'Here's the 40 people who are going to vote for Trump,'" Laudner said.

The campaign intends to designate their precinct captains—likely more than one captain in most precincts—by Thanksgiving.

To Win In Iowa Or New Hampshire, It May Be Better To Poll Worse Nationally

Candidates with better national numbers may also be more inclined to focus on more than one state. The Trump campaign has been campaigning in Iowa, New Hampshire, the South and elsewhere. That lack of a singular focus may be a relative disadvantage when Iowa and New Hampshire cast their ballots. Meanwhile, Christie has all but moved to New Hampshire and Cruz has courted Iowans with gusto.

This phenomenon may not hold in 2016. Cruz could collapse in Iowa. Christie could fall apart in New Hampshire. And maybe Trump will outperform his polling in both contests. But the gap between their current state and national polls suggests the opposite is more likely.

Ted Cruz kicks off Iowa bus tour, from Storm Lake to Pocahontas

The Texan has invested smartly in two dozen states with contests before March 15, positioning him to ride momentum from early wins. And Iowa is a strong bet for him. He’s locked down support from key evangelical Christian leaders, conservative media personalities and the most outspoken immigration-control advocate in Congress, Rep. Steve King.

Social and religious conservatives dominate the GOP caucuses. They’re well-organized and motivated, which makes a huge difference in a system and state where winning takes as few as 30,000 votes.

‘Natural Born’ Quarrel Breaks Out Between Donald Trump and Ted Cruz

Republicans say that Trump’s ground game, which has been the source of intense speculation, is the real deal. That’s critical, as Trump is banking on turning out a diverse coalition of caucus-goers that haven’t historically participated in the process.

A poor showing in Iowa could doom Trump, as his flashy polling numbers and record of “winning” are central to his pitch.

“He’s definitely for real out here,” said one Iowa Republican official who requested anonymity. “The question is whether the people they’ve identified as supporters will turn out. I’m not convinced they will, but if he can turn out just half of them he could blow the top off this thing.”

BN-JA189_0621Ra_FR_20150620104549.jpg

zz-Josh-Duggar-05-Ted-Cruz.jpg

Here Comes Iowa, for a Whole Month

Like the Democrats, the Republicans will hold a debate in South Carolina this month (on January 14, a Thursday, with the Fox Business Network sponsoring). But they're also holding a Fox News debate in Iowa on January 28, on the brink of the caucuses. This unusual event will probably have sky-high ratings in Iowa, and could immediately precede the release of the final Des Moines Register/Bloomberg poll, a highly regarded survey conducted by Iowa pollster Ann Selzer that has been known to capture — and perhaps stimulate — late momentum. The timing of both these events is especially significant for Republicans insofar as last-minute switching from doomed candidates is very likely.

How Much Do You Want to Bet Donald Trump Is Elected President?

"During the entire cycle, the markets have said that basically Donald Trump is at no point the favorite but is certainly a possibility, and the longer he stays on, the higher that possibility is," Rothschild said.

120801_ted_cruz_win_ap_605.jpg

HOOPLA! For another twenty-six days.

http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/output/0737230001452152181/9925565.mp3

Edited by william.scherk

Obama's likely real father was a Cuban, not the guy put on the birth certificate.

If Obama got by the born citizen thing the SCOTUS will probably give Cruz a pass.

Cruz is the most intelligent and knowledgeable candidate--and maybe the most dangerous as a President for his hard-nosed conservative ideology. Maybe not. Wanna go for a ride?

Obama got the nomination (2008) because he was "black" (black, Arab[?] and white), liberal guilt, mainstream media endorsement, etc., plus the other stuff listed and items unknown. Black, however, was the key. Totally unqualified to be President.

--Brant

how does William, folks, turn out his gargantuan posts? (The eighth wonder of the world.)

Elephant? Hippopotamus? WTF???

Please google donald trump eminent domain (no quotes), read the first half dozen hits, and ponder whether any animal better metaphorizes Donald Trump's attitude toward private property rights better than a JACKAL.

A jackal versus a snake? Is this the choice we want in November? I'll pass.

REB

Roger:

Richard Epstein is a genius concerning this issue.

However, he talks really fast and can leave the listener in his sonic dust.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/06/05/podcast-on-my-book-the-grasping-hand-kelo-v-city-of-new-london-and-the-limits-of-eminent-domain-with-commentary-by-richard-epstein/?wpisrc=nl_volokh&wpmm=1

The Federalist Society has put up a podcast of a recent teleforum on my new book The Grasping Hand: Kelo v. City of New London and the Limits of Eminent Domain. The podcast features commentary by Professor Richard A. Epstein of NYU and the University of Chicago, probably the world’s leading authority on takings. There is also a segment with questions from the audience, including some by experts on property and constitutional law.

The podcast is available at the Federalist Society website here.

Cruz is the most intelligent and knowledgeable candidate--and maybe the most dangerous as a President for his hard-nosed conservative ideology. Maybe not. Wanna go for a ride?

It is early days. I note Stephen Boydstun has acknowledged a Cruz phenomenon (though not yet commented on the 'ride' to be expected).

If Cruz isn't pushed out of the way by Trump as March 15 and The Magic Number approach on the primary calendar, Cruz will get increasing scrutiny, but most of his policy proposals are set. It is no mystery that Cruz is a hard-core evangelical, with a socially conservative heart. If Trump has not rung any plurality of Objectivist bells, I don't think Cruz will ring any stronger. But of course, these presidential politics are compromising. If the aim is to keep Oozy Cloaca and The Blowjobber out of 1600 Pennsylvania, then you get no choice. You either vote for the GOP candidate or you don't.

how does William, folks, turn out his gargantuan posts? (The eighth wonder of the world.)

It starts with a question or two and a net. In the Gargantua above, the underlying query was two-fold. What is ahead in the early states, what are the google-able media saying about Cruz, ground game, Iowa?

Examine what is caught in the net. Retain the pertinent headlines and links. Read the associated articles. Pluck a quote or two. Use an automated copy-paste function in a text editor to accumulate all but the bycatch. Assemble the remnants in an HTML editor, and merge into hotlinks the article-title/article-URL pairs. Assemble illustrative image links, and if necessary edit and upload to an image farm, retaining the URLs. Add appropriate video link. Edit the HTML in a WYSIWIG editor, add commentary, paste into OL editor, preview, correct formatting, publish. Publish to Text-to-Speech, add the URL to the MP3. Edit for taste, tone, spelling and grammar. Rest. Wait for the applause.

I gave the Snooze warning at the top of Gargantua, Brant. I assume you heeded it, and looked at the pictures.

I also answered your zany half-notion that Obama is descended from The Joo Arab backstage, Brant. And earlier here at OL ...

Here is that bizarre Birther Lady who led the charge last time there was a zany sleaze factor about Natural Birth. She is, I think, a Natural Born Kook.

[Edited to add: Brant objected to the private nature of my Messenger response and gave permission to make our exchange public. I did so at my OL blog, Friends and Foes, in a post "Obama, descended from The Arab." Comments follow there. Brant's earlier thoughts on Obama The Arab here, here, here, here, and here.

• Obama got the nomination (2008) because he was "black" (black, Arab[?] and white)
  • Obama is so dirty a good shower would turn him into a white man--or at least an Arab.
  • I think he was elected not just because he's black (actually more white and Arab) but because he's so PC cool too
  • Obama's entre was he had enough black ancestry--never mind the Arab and white
  • More Arab than black I suspect. Is Arab part of white?]
Edited by william.scherk

I don't think this is going to get better over time...

Oh, it never gets old. Bill Cosby Clinton and Clittory Harridan make good copy. Sex sells, bad sex and good.

Monica-LEWINSKY-6851.jpg

The sad part of The Story of Bill's Penis is that it is hard to separate out the presumed from the factual. As with Bill Cosby, the stories and testimony of women can be viewed ambivalently. All true in every detail. All mostly true, some false allegations. Janice Dickinson is a lying whore looking for publicity. Why aren't you suspicious of these allegations? Gloria Allred. They are all dirty slut liars. Nothing was proven in court (though there were civil settlements). The ladies/whores were willing partners. Where there is smoke there is fire. And so on.

Those who may defend Bill Cosby Clinton may not defend Bill Cosby Clinton and vice versa.

I imagine there are a few stunned Millennials who are just now discovering The Story Of Bill's Penis. They are saying, "Why didn't somebody tell me about this? Why, I can't vote for Hillary because her pig of a husband put his dick in Monica Lewinsky's mouth last time he was in the White House. I just can't. It freaks me out."

The saddest part of the story is Monica. Why did she aim her blowjob face at a married sitting president? Why did she go down that sad road? Why did she trust that ugly whore Linda Tripp?

I think Monica went snuffling for that protein meal, willingly. She practiced. She met a pig willing enough to feed the schlong to her, but still. All she is left with is Bill's cum on her dress. Sad, not funny.

I am sure Trump is going to have fun with Clinton's Penis. Why not? This is America. This is the Trump Era. Anything goes. It is far more entertaining than snoozy topics like the ground game.

This is the American culture that so mesmerizes the world. Clinton's Cloaca. Bill's Dick Stains. Trump's strained relationship with truth. Ban Muslims. Kick out the Syrian Refugees. Win. Win. Win.

So, yeah, when Trump finally gets going on the Penis File, the world will look on in wonder. Will Bill's Stain Wreck Cloaca's Game?

Tune in this November for the answer.

Edited by william.scherk

The saddest part of the story is Monica.

William,

I agree, but probably not for the reason you would imagine I would think.

According to Monica, she and Bill had an affair that lasted about two years and he had promised he would eventually leave Hillary for her.

Believe it or not, I believe this version. (For lots of reasons, but those are irrelevant right now.)

So when the scandal broke, she got her heart broken in a gazillion little pieces in more ways than one. Then, as gravy, she got to watch the man she deeply loved turn his own publicity machine on her (in addition to the one already running) where she got ground up like hamburger, all the while telling herself it wasn't possible he would do that--and even wanting to protect him.

I'm not a fan of women who carry on affairs with married men (although, owing to certain events in my past, I say that with some hypocrisy :smile: ), but I admire Monica. She is a survivor. She had a hell of a thing to survive and she came through the other end intact.

As to Bill, he and his wife will now pay for how they used the power machine in overdrive. Oh, Trump with throw some gasoline on the "woman abuser" fire--he's a showman and that's too good of a show to resist, but the flames will come from others (as they are coming).

This happens when aggressive pigs get old and try to get their snouts in the trough once more. The younger pigs don't like it.

:smile:

Michael

The saddest part of the story is Monica.

This happens when aggressive pigs get old and try to get their snouts in the trough once more. The younger pigs don't like it.

Michael

And that is true and works across all cultures with ample replication in the animal kingdom.

Remember who ran Animal Farm...

Very nicely phrased Michael.

As to Bill, he and his wife will now pay for how they used the power machine in overdrive.

It is a bill that is always coming due, it seems. A bill of impeachment, a congressional commission, a verdict, a conviction, a penalty to be paid.

If I cared a whit for Bill or Hillary's reputation, I would be up all night explaining their immoralities and criminal tendencies and all that shit. Luckily, I don't care, and there is an entire Internet for that when I do.

Hillary Clinton, evul incarnate, has been around the block a few times. The penalty she paid for being Bill's enabler/beard and hitwoman and shield ... ? What penalty did she pay? I remember ten solid months of all-channel Bill's Penis during the height of the scandals. What penalty did she pay?

I can see that having Bill's Penis still hanging around her neck until November might be a heavy burden, and maybe even a heavier burden than in past electoral spasms, due to demographics and changing sexual mores. I suppose the eventual GOP nominee will have some choices in how to bring up Bill's Penis in the general election campaign. Will it be the biggest issue, or even a high-medium impact issue? If the Magic GOP Number falls to Trump, will it be an election-winner?

I don't know. Let us see who will be the couple dancing at the Inaugural Ball ...

Donald_And_Donald.png

What penalty did she pay?

William,

I don't know about the past, but I do know this issue will be a huge obstacle for Hillary to get elected.

So that's a penalty she can look forward to. The past is past, but there is this looming future, especially once a lot of millenniums start understanding for real what went on. (That's the trouble with indoctrination in the age of the Internet. People end up finding out shit. :smile: )

Let's see if a victimization story sticks to poor little Hillary.

How's that for a victim?

Maybe a different kind of story will stick to her. Not a victimization story where she is the victim.

I bet a different kind of story sticks to her.

Yup.

A different kind of story...

Michael

A tale of three tweets:

Then:

Then:

I saw this presentation live. Drudge advertized it on his main headline and I happened to see it surfing the web, so I watched.

Several time protesters interrupted. Trump had fun with them and the crowd. Then he started asking security to go faster in removing the protesters. These folks were staggering their protests to follow one after another. Finally, as this went on, he said that people could start getting angry, including security. He finally said (I paraphrase since I'm going from memory), "Do you know what happens when people get angry enough to do something about it? The protests suddenly stop. They just stop."

And damned if they didn't.

It was almost as if it were staged that way. Except in Vermont, in Bernie's stomping ground, it would have been near impossible to stage that.

Then Trump followed by saying this is part of what's wrong with America today. Troublemakers are treated with kid gloves and fear. He didn't use these terms, but he basically said if you treat troublemakers like troublemakers, they stop causing trouble. Be nice to them up to a point, then treat them like troublemakers.

For the record, he did say he didn't want anybody hurt.

But that "don't hurt anybody" stuff wasn't the part that brought the house down. People loved it when he had security throw out the protesters. They liked that a lot.

Michael

Oh, yeah...

I forgot about this part. I thought it would make the news when he said it and it did.

Tonight Obama had a townhall shindig with CNN to talk about gun control.

Trump didn't mention this, but he did say something else.

Trump calls for end to gun-free zones in schools
By Jonathan Swan
The Hill
January 7, 2016

From the article:

Donald Trump said he wants to end gun-free zones in schools during a Vermont rally held at the same time as President Obama’s televised town hall promoting gun control.

“I will get rid of gun-free zones on schools, you have to,” Trump told a cheering crowd Thursday night in Burlington, Vt. “And on military bases, my first day it gets signed, ok? My first day. There's no more gun-free zones.”

The crowd went wild.

Michael

EDIT: I also forgot to mention something about the protesters. It was freezing outside during the rally. When Trump told security to throw the protesters out, he kept saying to keep their coats. That his staff would send their coats back in a few weeks. :) (Joking, of course...)

Hillary Clinton, evul incarnate, has been around the block a few times. The penalty she paid for being Bill's enabler/beard and hitwoman and shield ... ? What penalty did she pay? I remember ten solid months of all-channel Bill's Penis during the height of the scandals. What penalty did she pay?
 I don't know about the past, but I do know this issue will be a huge obstacle for Hillary to get elected.
 We shall see. Meet you back here at this comment on November 8/9.  
Then Trump followed by saying this is part of what's wrong with America today. Troublemakers are treated with kid gloves and fear.
Hecklers and protesters get 'kid glove' treatment at Trump rallies? I should hope so. Imagine the hoopla if they were not. -- back to the Natural Born issue, currently stinking up the place. Here is the manic Ann Coulter executing a back-flip.

We shall see. Meet you back here at this comment on November 8/9.

Then Trump followed by saying this is part of what's wrong with America today. Troublemakers are treated with kid gloves and fear.

Hecklers and protesters get 'kid glove' treatment at Trump rallies? I should hope so. Imagine the hoopla if they were not.

-- back to the Natural Born issue, currently stinking up the place. Here is the manic Ann Coulter executing a back-flip.

NYT: Cruz was born outside the U.S. to 1 American parent: "Under the Constitution this makes him a 'natural born citizen.'” Absolutely false
— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter)
January 6, 2016

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TED CRUZ CAN RUN FOR PRESIDENT! I worried on
@seanhannity
@ his Calgary birth, But his mother was a US citizen, so he was born a citizen.
— Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter)
February 14, 2013

William:

Did you consider that under the US Constitution there is a difference between a "natural born citizen" and a "citizen?"

A...

To those of you, who like me, would prefer Cruz or Rubio as our candidate and dislike aspects of Trumpism, well, you don’t have to like the inevitable but you may have to live with it. Any other candidate is better than Hillary or Bernie.

Some trivia. Ben Franklin’s birthday coincides with Marty (MLK) King’s birthday and Ayn Rand’s birthday coincides with Ground Hog Day. Roger Bissell’s birthday is June 27th and that is the Objectivist Holiday, “Jolly Roger Day.”
Peter

To: atlantis@wetheliving.com
Subject: ATL: Fwd: HU'S ON FIRST (humor)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:03:38 EST

A musician friend of mine sent this today, and I thought
most list members would find it amusing, if not uproarious.
Best 2 all, REB
==========================================
HU'S ON FIRST
By James Sherman

(We take you now to the Oval Office.)

George: Condi! Nice to see you. What's happening?

Condi: Sir, I have the report here about the new leader of China.

George: Great. Lay it on me.

Condi: Hu is the new leader of China.

George: That's what I want to know.

Condi: That's what I'm telling you.

George: That's what I'm asking you. Who is the new leader of China?

Condi: Yes.

George: I mean the fellow's name.

Condi: Hu.

George: The guy in China.

George: The new leader of China.

George: The Chinaman!

Condi: Hu is leading China.

George: Now whaddya' asking me for?

Condi: I'm telling you Hu is leading China.

George: Well, I'm asking you. Who is leading China?

Condi: That's the man's name.

George: That's who's name?

Condi: Yes.

George: Will you or will you not tell me the name of the new leader of China?

Condi: Yes, sir.

George: Yassir? Yassir Arafat is in China? I thought he was in the Middle East.

Condi: That's correct.

George: Then who is in China?

George: Yassir is in China?

Condi: No, sir.

George: Then who is?

George: Yassir?

Condi: No, sir.

George: Look, Condi. I need to know the name of the new leader of China. Get me the Secretary General of the U.N. on the phone.

Condi: Kofi?

George: No, thanks.

Condi: You want Kofi?

George: No.

Condi: You don't want Kofi.

George: No. But now that you mention it, I could use a glass of milk. And then get me the U.N.

George: Not Yassir! The guy at the U.N.

Condi: Kofi?

George: Milk! Will you please make the call?

Condi: And call who?

George: Who is the guy at the U.N?

Condi: Hu is the guy in China.

George: Will you stay out of China?!

George: And stay out of the Middle East! Just get me the guy at the U.N.

Condi: Kofi.

George: All right! With cream and two sugars. Now get on the phone.

(Condi picks up the phone.)

Condi: Rice, here.

George: Rice? Good idea. And a couple of egg rolls, too. Maybe we should send some to the guy in China. And the Middle East. Can you get Chinese food in the Middle East?

Where are Bud and Lou when you desperately want to scream and run into the wilderness...

Who's on First? by Abbott and Costello

One of the most famous baseball comedy acts to ever take place was the following humorous exchange between Bud Abbott and Lou Costello. The words alone cannot do it justice, but it is still quite funny to read. The skit was originally done on the radio live (each & every time) until the legendary duo later included it on The Naughty Nineties compilation.

The general premise behind the exchange has Costello, a peanut vendor named Sebastion Dinwiddle, talking to Abbott who is Dexter Broadhurt, the manager of the mythical St. Louis Wolves. However, before Costello can get behind the plate, Abbott wants to make sure he knows everyone's name on the team...

Note: We mentioned above that words alone cannot do it justice. To that end we have included a complete audio sample in the Fast Facts of the original "Who's on First?" for you to listen to!

"Costello: Look, you gotta pitcher on this team? Abbott: Now wouldn't this be a fine team without a pitcher. Costello: The pitcher's name. Abbott: Tomorrow. Costello: You don't wanna tell me today?" - Who's on First? by Abbott & Costello

Here is the actual transcript and the radio recording of the original skit.

A Word-for-Word Transcript

"Abbott: Well Costello, I'm going to New York with you. You know Bucky Harris, the Yankee's manager, gave me a job as coach for as long as you're on the team.

Costello: Look Abbott, if you're the coach, you must know all the players.

Abbott: I certainly do.

Costello: Well you know I've never met the guys. So you'll have to tell me their names, and then I'll know who's playing on the team.

Abbott: Oh, I'll tell you their names, but you know it seems to me they give these ball players now-a-days very peculiar names.

Costello: You mean funny names?

Abbott: Strange names, pet names...like Dizzy Dean...

Costello: His brother Daffy.

Abbott: Daffy Dean...

Costello: And their French cousin.

Abbott: French?

Costello: Goofè.

Abbott: Goofè Dean. Well, let's see, we have on the bags, Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third...

Costello: That's what I want to find out.

Abbott: I say Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third.

Costello: Are you the manager?

Abbott: Yes.

Costello: You gonna be the coach too?

Costello: And you don't know the fellows' names?

Abbott: Well I should.

Costello: Well then who's on first?

Costello: I mean the fellow's name.

Abbott: Who.

Costello: The guy on first.

Costello: The first baseman.

Costello: The guy playing...

Abbott: Who is on first!

Costello: I'm asking YOU who's on first.

Abbott: That's the man's name.

Costello: That's who's name?

Costello: Well go ahead and tell me.

Abbott: That's it.

Costello: That's who?

PAUSE

Costello: Look, you gotta first baseman?

Abbott: Certainly.

Costello: Who's playing first?

Abbott: That's right.

Costello: When you pay off the first baseman every month, who gets the money?

Abbott: Every dollar of it.

Costello: All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base.

Costello: The guy that gets...

Costello: Who gets the money...

Abbott: He does, every dollar. Sometimes his wife comes down and collects it.

Costello: Who's wife?

PAUSE

Abbott: What's wrong with that?

Costello: Look, all I wanna know is when you sign up the first baseman, how does he sign his name?

Costello: The guy.

Costello: How does he sign...

Abbott: That's how he signs it.

Costello: Who?

PAUSE

Costello: All I'm trying to find out is what's the guy's name on first base.

Abbott: No. What is on second base.

Costello: I'm not asking you who's on second.

Abbott: Who's on first.

Costello: One base at a time!

Abbott: Well, don't change the players around.

Costello: I'm not changing nobody!

Abbott: Take it easy, buddy.

Costello: I'm only asking you, who's the guy on first base?

Abbott: That's right.

Costello: Ok.

Abbott: All right.

PAUSE

Costello: What's the guy's name on first base?

Abbott: No. What is on second.

Abbott: Who's on first.

Costello: I don't know.

Abbott: He's on third, we're not talking about him.

Costello: Now how did I get on third base?

Abbott: Why you mentioned his name.

Costello: If I mentioned the third baseman's name, who did I say is playing third?

Abbott: No. Who's playing first.

Costello: What's on first?

Abbott: What's on second.

Abbott: He's on third.

Costello: There I go, back on third again!

PAUSE

Costello: Would you just stay on third base and don't go off it.

Abbott: All right, what do you want to know?

Costello: Now who's playing third base?

Abbott: Why do you insist on putting Who on third base?

Costello: What am I putting on third.

Abbott: No. What is on second.

Costello: You don't want who on second?

Abbott: Who is on first.

Abbott & Costello Together:Third base!

PAUSE

Costello: Look, you gotta outfield?

Abbott: Sure.

Costello: The left fielder's name?

Abbott: Why.

Costello: I just thought I'd ask you.

Abbott: Well, I just thought I'd tell ya.

Costello: Then tell me who's playing left field.

Abbott: Who's playing first.

Costello: I'm not... stay out of the infield! I want to know what's the guy's name in left field?

Abbott: No, What is on second.

Abbott: Who's on first!

Abbott & Costello Together: Third base!

PAUSE

Costello: The left fielder's name?

Abbott: Why.

Costello: Because!

Abbott: Oh, he's centerfield.

PAUSE

Costello: Look, You gotta pitcher on this team?

Abbott: Sure.

Costello: The pitcher's name?

Abbott: Tomorrow.

Costello: You don't want to tell me today?

Abbott: I'm telling you now.

Costello: Then go ahead.

Abbott: Tomorrow!

Costello: What time?

Abbott: What time what?

Costello: What time tomorrow are you gonna tell me who's pitching?

Abbott: Now listen. Who is not pitching.

Costello: I'll break your arm, you say who's on first! I want to know what's the pitcher's name?

Abbott: What's on second.

Abbott & Costello Together: Third base!

PAUSE

Costello: Gotta a catcher?

Abbott: Certainly.

Costello: The catcher's name?

Abbott: Today.

Costello: Today, and tomorrow's pitching.

Abbott: Now you've got it.

Costello: All we got is a couple of days on the team.

PAUSE

Costello: You know I'm a catcher too.

Abbott: So they tell me.

Costello: I get behind the plate to do some fancy catching, Tomorrow's pitching on my team and a heavy hitter gets up. Now the heavy hitter bunts the ball. When he bunts the ball, me, being a good catcher, I'm gonna throw the guy out at first base. So I pick up the ball and throw it to who?

Abbott: Now that's the first thing you've said right.

Costello: I don't even know what I'm talking about!

PAUSE

Abbott: That's all you have to do.

Costello: Is to throw the ball to first base.

Abbott: Yes!

Costello: Now who's got it?

Abbott: Naturally.

PAUSE

Costello: Look, if I throw the ball to first base, somebody's gotta get it. Now who has it?

Costello: Who?

Costello: Naturally?

Costello: So I pick up the ball and I throw it to Naturally.

Abbott: No you don't, you throw the ball to Who.

Costello: Naturally.

Abbott: That's different.

Costello: That's what I said.

Abbott: You're not saying it...

Costello: I throw the ball to Naturally.

Abbott: You throw it to Who.

Costello: That's what I said!

Abbott: You ask me.

Costello: I throw the ball to who?

Costello: Now you ask me.

Abbott: You throw the ball to Who?

Costello: Same as you! Same as YOU! I throw the ball to who. Whoever it is drops the ball and the guy runs to second. Who picks up the ball and throws it to What. What throws it to I Don't Know. I Don't Know throws it back to Tomorrow, Triple play. Another guy gets up and hits a long fly ball to Because. Why? I don't know! He's on third and I don't give a darn!

Abbott: What?

Costello: I said I don't give a darn!

Abbott: Oh, that's our shortstop."

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml

A...

A gentleman in New Jersey writes in:

Dear Infantile Chatterer,

I read with interest your links and comments about the Birther gambit with Cruz, led by Mr Hippopotamus. But what puzzles me is that you haven't apparently understood the most simple thing, despite your chatter. There is a difference between 'natural born' citizenship and the other kinds. And you haven't apparently even given this a shake of your infantile head. I am not impressed. So not impressed that I am just going to drop one arch bomb of a question. Let's see if you people answer. I doubt it. I might have used the OL search function to see what WSS has said on the issue of "Birther" and "Natural Born" ... and I might have even searched up my own earlier comments. I vaguely remember how stupid WSS was when we were talking about how serious the Birther questions were for Obama going in to 2012. If he didn't know anything about 'natural born' back then, then he sure as hell doesn't know anything now.

Anyways, post this question to that schmuck WSS:

Did you consider that under the US Constitution there is a difference between a "natural born citizen" and a "citizen?"

This made me nostalgic for days gone by.

On 4/25/2011 at 11:40 AM, william.scherk said:

No one has yet rebutted the Certification of Live Birth, and its prima facie evidence that your President was born where his folks said he was born, that the state of Hawaii said, yup, he was born where his folks said he was born. After four years the claims of the birthers have proliferated and but gained no more support. Yes, Republicans by a plurality continue to 'have doubts' -- but the numbers haven't budged over last year or the year before. Donald Trump has had no effect on the stated beliefs.

No political demand nor demand of law forces Obama to do anything but what he has done, produce certification. In no state or province of our two countries is a person required to do more than your President has done. The facts haven't changed, although the political hoopla ebbs and flows. Where it matters, in terms of votes and support, Obama has a much larger plate of worms to deal with, from recession to debt to war to political calculations. If the birther rhetoric rises -- he chuckles, since he probably believes as do I that no political glory attaches to birther campaigns. A Presidential mien, a chuckle, a renomination, a ballot . . . he knows what is coming his way. How did he get on the ballots for 2008? By battling the first wave of birthers? [...]

As for allusions to trust and persuasion and manipulation, and a beloved Franklin, a rising tide of anger, this is a pot of beans -- Franklin speaks for himself, he is a crank on the subject of Muslimobama already. He did not inherit the slightly queasy respect given to his father. Here's what was on his mind a year ago:

"I think the president's problem is that he was born a Muslim, his father was a Muslim. The seed of Islam is passed through the father like the seed of Judaism is passed through the mother. He was born a Muslim, his father gave him an Islamic name."

Ick.

And here me and Bob mused beyond Born an American, beyond Born a Muslim. It now makes me think about Trump's gambit about Cruz's religious bona fides. I mean, was Cruz really Born an Evangelical? Not a whole lot of evangelicals come out of Cuba. Can a child be Born an Objectivist? What happened to choice?

Oh well.

On 4/25/2011 at 12:31 PM, william.scherk said:
On 4/25/2011 at 11:57 AM, 'BaalChatzaf said:
On 4/25/2011 at 11:40 AM, 'william.scherk said:

"I think the president's problem is that he was born a Muslim, his father was a Muslim. The seed of Islam is passed through the father like the seed of Judaism is passed through the mother. He was born a Muslim, his father gave him an Islamic name."

In TNKH (what the heathens call the Old Testament) tribal membership is inherited from the father. In later times the Rabbis decreed that with all the rapine committed against Jewish women the only sure thing that could be determined was who the mother of the child is. This is rabbinic, not biblical. It is a practical measure. Also, it is the mother who brings up a child and shapes the child's religious outlook. So in later times, Jewishness is reckoned to come through the mother, not the father.

Right. So . . . the seed of Judaism is passed through the mother, and the seed of Islam is passed through the father, and thus Obama was 'born a Muslim.'

'Would an Objectivist Child be taught that one could be 'born a Muslim'?

Back to Cruz and the danged issue of his eligibility, hats off to Adam for zeroing in on the important legal distinctions. We do know that no eligibility case has ever gone anywhere, so in a sense the legal issue for Cruz is 'open' for any zany nitwit to bring suit ... I mean, if he is on the fucking ballot in Iowa, I blame Iowa for not getting their shit together.

But first, sex. Trump sex.

[Note from MSK: Embedded photo disabled. But photo may be accessed here.]

Cruz was born to an American mum who fit the criteria for passing her citizenship along to her spawn at the moment of his hideous birth. Under US law at the time, emerging from an American vagina conferred upon him the blessing of being born American. What is so fucking hard to figure out? Where is Objectivist epistemology when you need it?

His parents' time in Canada were as US-permanent-resident working-family 'guests' of my country, on permission, not in any way on track to become landed immigrants (Canadian permanent residents) and citizens of Alberta and Canada. When they finished their stint in Canada, they went 'home,' Cruz's father still holding his green card, mum passing easily across the border with her husband and son. Home they were, a permanent resident on track to citizenship, a mum, and her little American child who had been American since the vagina.

I have mentioned it before in a question about 'sanctuary' cities in Canada, that educational and child services 'sanctuary' is given any child resident, and that any child not born in Canada is still accepted into school in every jurisdiction.

Ted Cruz, if he had been born during a visit back to Texas, and flown back to Calgary afterwards, he would be still enrollable at Canadian school as if he were a citizen. That he became a citizen of the nation of his birth is neither here nor there -- it is a fact of North American jurisprudence in this matter. If a Vancouver Canadian lady gave premature birth on a shopping trip across the border in Bellingham, she would take that baby back north as a Canadian citizen -- and she would use the baby's USA birth certificate to prove that the baby was a Canadian citizen.

The exact same applies if the roles are reversed.

The baby born in Vancouver to an American woman goes effortlessly across the border south with mum, because of the birth certificate rendered by the Canadian authorities. At his first encounter with American jurisdiction, Cruz was indisputably welcomed to the country as a full citizen ... even if the proof of his natural American birth was a Canadian birth certificate!

Now, what is most interesting about this current schmozzle is that some folks are all over the map, kooky, crazy, sleazy, foxy. I consider those who argue for the Birther legal side to be the OL equivalent of Orly Taitz. Gravely compromised in their epistemology. Those who argue that This Will Hurt Cruz ... well, nobody is actually arguing that out loud in the thread so far.

To the memory banks again for some more nostalgia. I won't attach the names of the folks who wrote these lines in the Birther thread from 2011. I won't add links. And I won't be answering any more questions on this topic from the gentleman in New Jersey with quite such alacrity. If he is too slack to check our last conversations, these are here for him to consider. Who said which, Brant, William, Adam, Bob? It may not be immediately apparent.

But first, back to good clean sex in the White House. Trump sex.

[Note from MSK: Embedded photo disabled. But photo may be accessed here.]

• Also, I thought 'natural born' is fairly well understood in common-law [as opposed to naturalized/adopted]. Isn't there any jurisprudence in America that has settled this?
  • My personal position is that, regardless of the original interpretation and intent of the Framers in regards to "natural born," [Obama] was born from an American citizen. End of story. He is qualified to run for President.
  • Anyone born in U.S. territory is a U.S. Citizen according to the 14th Amendment and since that is the latest definition of what a born citizen that is the one that applies. The man was born in Hawaii to an American woman. That makes him a natural born citizen of the U.S.A.
  • I think this is the end of the Trump presidential *candidacy*
  • "By the constitution of the United States, congress was empowered 'to establish an uniform rule of naturalization.' In the exercise of this power, congress, by successive acts, beginning with the act entitled 'An act to establish an uniform rule of naturalization,' passed at the second session of the first congress under the constitution, has made provision for the admission to citizenship of three principal classes of persons: First. Aliens, having resided for a certain time 'within the limits and under the jurisdiction of the United States,' and naturalized individually by proceedings in a court of record. Second. Children of persons so naturalized, 'dwelling within the United States, and being under the age of twenty-one years at the time of such naturalization.' Third. Foreign-born children of American citizens, coming within the definitions prescribd by congress. Acts March 26, 1790, c. 3 (1 Stat. 103); January 26, 1795, c. 20 (Id. 414); June 18, 1798, c. 54 (Id. 566); April 14, 1802, c. 28 (2 Stat. 153); March 26, 1804, c. 47 (Id. 292); February 10, 1855, c. 71 (10 Stat. 604); Rev. St. §§ 2165, 2172, 1993"
  • Anyone who can be arrested by a U.S. cop is subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. Which means illegal aliens are subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. They can be arrested and deported. Reading the plain language it means there children born in the United States are citizens. If this upsets somebody they should write to their Congress Creature and suggest an amendment to the U.S Constitution.
  • Only Congress has the power to establish "citizenship."

Snatched from the headlines! --

betting.png

http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/output/0595773001452295166/9964741.mp3

I haven't contributed too much on the Cruz birther thing because I think it will die out pretty shortly. I see it as background noise to fill silence, not anything fundamental.

It's a way for Trump to attack Cruz without really attacking him and a way for the mainstream press to chatter now that it looks like Trump just might win the primaries for real.

I don't know how well it will serve as a deflection. After all, the mainstream press chattered on and on for months that Trump could not possibly do/be/win/etc. this and that and that his supporters were a small group of folks who were dumb as rocks.

I personally think most folks will continue to think the mainstream press and establishment politician class are populated by fools. I don't think most people care that much about the Cruz birther dustup, not because of any strong-held belief. It's just a boring topic to them with little relevance.

Who knows, though?

Maybe I'm wrong...

Michael

As a Trump supporter looking at the countdown, here are some of the things that catch my interest a lot more:

And:

More useless polls, I know. These are polls, not votes...

Michael

Here is Rush again.

He gets Trump supporters in a way few in the mainstream do.

Donald Trump Goes to Vermont
January 08, 2016
Rush Limbaugh

From the transcript:

RUSH: Let me grab Paul in Hot Springs, Arkansas. Paul, I'm glad you called. Welcome.

CALLER: Thank you, Rush. I'm a white, blue-collar, conservative union member, and I'm voting for Donald Trump if I have to write him in on Election Day. My differences between the Democrats and the Republicans are irreconcilable. There's nothing that the establishment, non-producing class can do to cause me to vote for them ever again.

RUSH: Really?

CALLER: Nothing.

RUSH: Ever?

CALLER: Irreconcilable.

RUSH: Yeah?

CALLER: If you are an establishment, politically correct Republican or Democrat, our differences are irreconcilable. The Republicans are politically correct. The establishment Republicans are politically correct cowards, and all they're interested in is maintaining their own political power.

RUSH: Let me ask you this quickly before I have to go: Is there anything Trump could do to lose your support?

CALLER: Become an establishment Republican.

RUSH: (laughing) Yeah. (laughing) Good answer. I set myself up for that. There you have it. I don't know how big of an example that is, but it makes my point that Trump has a bond with his voters and supporters out there that I don't think your average political consultant or even candidate understands. I don't think they understand the bond, and they don't know how to deal with it as such. Thank you, Paul.

The entire transcript is Rush at his insightful best (it also includes the part about Trump giving tacit permission to security to get more aggressive, then saying there will be no more protests), but this end says it all.

The thing is, this caller doesn't just speak for white blue collar union conservatives. There is a whole range of demographics out there of people who feel the same, including boat loads of Democrats and minorities.

Michael