Donald Trump

I think McCain's vote to kill the repeal of Obamacare in the Senate just gave President Trump a dream Senate in the midterms. Trump's supporters are going to be hopping mad. I don't expect them to cool off by the midterms, especially when Obamacare fully tanks. My prediction is that we shall see lots of entrenched but morally squishy Senators being primaried. And being replaced.

Michael

Dana Perino on The Five came out with an intriguing hypothesis. I actually heard it elsewhere, but not as complete as she said. It goes something like this.

Jeff Sessions has shined on immigration issues. President Trump is not happy with his botched recusal and the hiring of a special counsel to essentially do opposition research for the Democrats for 2020. But the president is grateful for all Sessions did for him and does not want to cause a ruckus with some important people in his base. Suddenly there is an opening at the head of Homeland Security, which deals a lot with immigration right now.

So the president could shift Sessions over to Homeland Security and appoint a new Secretary of State--noting that the new one has not recused himself from anything. Bye bye Mr. Mueller. Problem solved.

:)

See it here. Skip to 10:16 if you don't want to watch the other stuff.

Michael

Scaramucci is out.

Bummer.

I like him. A lot.

Anyway, when high-testosterone folks clash, especially with military like Kelly, one has to bow to the other. Scaramucci would need to go through bootcamp before they would ever resonate on the same wave-length. And even then...

So The Mooch leaving would have happened sooner or later.

What is the real lesson?

Thou shalt not cuss about Bannon.

Michael

"The Press" is quite happy. Surprisingly the Trump White House still doesn't feel like a battlefield, even with all the generals stalking about and subconsciously waiting for the obligatory salutes from their guards and staff.

Peter

Lie detectors at the White House?

From Newsmax. Attorney General Jeff Sessions pledged on Friday to rein in government leaks that he said undermine American security, taking an aggressive public stand after being called weak on the matter by President Donald Trump.

The nation's top law enforcement official cited no current investigations in which disclosures of information had jeopardized the country but said the number of criminal leak probes had dramatically increased in the early months of the Trump administration. Justice Department officials also said they were reviewing guidelines meant to make it difficult for the government to subpoena journalists about their sources, and would not rule out the possibility that a reporter could be prosecuted.

"No one is entitled to surreptitiously fight their battles in the media by revealing sensitive government information," Sessions said in an announcement that followed a series of news reports this year on the Trump campaign and White House that have relied on classified information. "No government can be effective when its leaders cannot discuss sensitive matters in confidence or to talk freely in confidence with foreign leaders."

Meanwhile, a White House adviser raised the possibility of lie detector tests for the small number of people in the West Wing and elsewhere with access to transcripts of President Donald Trump's phone calls. The Washington Post on Thursday published transcripts of his conversations with the leaders of Mexico and Australia.

Trump counselor Kellyanne Conway told "Fox & Friends" that "it's easier to figure out who's leaking than the leakers may realize." And might lie detectors be used? She said: "Well, they may, they may not." . . . .

On 8/5/2017 at 4:02 PM, Peter said:

Lie detectors at the White House?

Peter,

Even more.

In some of the more unseemly places I visit on the Internet (unseemly to some, not all :) ), the word is President Trump is taking a 17 day "working vacation" for security reasons.

Ostensibly, it's for renovations at the White House. Covertly, it's so that they can find every damn high-tech bug placed by the deep state and/or Obama regime. 

Michael

That's a good theory. I like it. So, he is not reclining on his Lazy Boy with his feet up. Plus he and his wife seem to think the dust, chalk board debris, old paint etc., in The White House is not so good for you. I am glad I don't live in a 200 year old house. I wonder if the Veep's house is a wreck too?

Peter 

The Prez is sounding off at 2:50pm, and not just about the Korean communists.

He warned China that their trade with us will stop if they don’t help the situation. The President is dead serious.

See below. The Korean people being sent overseas to be slaves has to stop. Why don’t they defect? Their families are undoubtedly left behind as hostages, but they are also possible risks to the countries hosting them if war occurs.     

Peter

One month ago in “The Guardian”: Tens of thousands of impoverished North Koreans are transferred abroad by the state and ordered to send back much-needed foreign currency to a country suffering tremendous financial sanctions. The decades-old policy was given a boost in the 1990s during an economic collapse and subsequent famine.

These migrants, who take a tiny percentage of their pay, have in the past been a source of cheap and sometimes disposable labour in Chinese sweatshops and Malaysian mines. Qatar used North Koreans for a construction project linked to the 2022 World Cup while a subcontractor for a stadium built for Russia’s 2018 competition said 190 “downtrodden” North Koreans worked seven days a week. end quote

China’s government says it would remain neutral if North Korea attacks the United States, but warned America, it would defend its Asian neighbor if the U.S. strikes first and tries to overthrow Kim Jong Un’s regime. But . . . Beijing also warned Pyongyang: You’re on your own if you go after the United States.

So, our next thought will be to ratchet up the sanctions to Zero external trade. And those 100,000 “guest workers” who are toiling around the globe and sending their pay checks back to North Korea will be sent home to their Korean prison of a country . . . or the people paying them will be facing sanctions as well.

An embargo? Vessels flying the North Korean flag should be impounded or sunk. And all vessels under other flags but who we think are trading with the North should be searched and seized. We CAN’T stop all foot or air traffic from coming into North Korea from countries like Iran, China or Russian but we can make the experience unpleasant.

I am beginning to suspect China has no means or the desire to depose that bloody dictator. Lessening trade with China will be painful to some degree for The U.S. but more painful to China. Free China, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, and other countries can pick up the U.S. trade slack. we could go back to saying Taiwan or Free China, and maybe officially going back to calling the mainland Communist China.

As with Iran, we know what North Korea will do with nukes. It will start with black mail towards the countries around it and then escalate.

Peter    

On 8/10/2017 at 2:57 PM, Peter said:

7 hours ago, Peter said:

China’s government says it would remain neutral if North Korea attacks the United States, but warned America, it would defend its Asian neighbor if the U.S. strikes first and tries to overthrow Kim Jong Un’s regime. But . . . Beijing also warned Pyongyang: You’re on your own if you go after the United States. 

China  spoke with the same  measured neutrality that George Washington urged on Congress.  Favor neither the French nor the British  but defend the nation. 

7 hours ago, Peter said:

So, our next thought will be to ratchet up the sanctions to Zero external trade. And those 100,000 “guest workers” who are toiling around the globe and sending their pay checks back to North Korea will be sent home to their Korean prison of a country . . . or the people paying them will be facing sanctions as well.

An embargo? Vessels flying the North Korean flag should be impounded or sunk. And all vessels under other flags but who we think are trading with the North should be searched and seized. We CAN’T stop all foot or air traffic from coming into North Korea from countries like Iran, China or Russian but we can make the experience unpleasant.

I am beginning to suspect China has no means or the desire to depose that bloody dictator. Lessening trade with China will be painful to some degree for The U.S. but more painful to China. Free China, Malaysia, India, Pakistan, and other countries can pick up the U.S. trade slack. we could go back to saying Taiwan or Free China, and maybe officially going back to calling the mainland Communist China.

As with Iran, we know what North Korea will do with nukes. It will start with black mail towards the countries around it and then escalate.

Peter    

"Expertise" so far from Objectivism, so close to the United States.

--Brant

much too soon for "Bombs away!"

but much better than the stupid crap going up on SLOP

inappropriate use of "we," "we" and more "we" (same as "our")

I just saw President Trump sign a Memorandum addressing China’s intellectual property laws. At the end, the exchange with a reporter (I don't know who) was comical.

I'm going on memory, so this isn't exact. (As soon as I can find a video, I'll put it up.) But it's a good gist:

REPORTER: Can you tell us why you didn't condemn the KKK and other white terrorist groups over the last couple of days?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I did condemn them.

REPORTER: Can you tell us why you didn't have a press conference about it?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I did have a press conference about it.

REPORTER: How about having a longer press conference now?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I like press conferences. But I don't like fake news and you are fake news. (exits)

I love this guy.

Michael

17 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I'm going on memory, so this isn't exact. (As soon as I can find a video, I'll put it up.)

That didn't take long.

Here is the video. In a minute, I'll do a correct transcript.

Transcript:

JIM ACOSTA (CNN): Mr. President. Can you explain why you did not condemn those hate groups by name over the weekend?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: They've been condemned. They have been condemned.

JIM ACOSTA (CNN): And why are we not having a press conference today? You said on Friday we would have a press conference.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: We had a press conference. We just had a press conference. 

JIM ACOSTA (CNN): Can we ask you some more questions, then, sir?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: It doesn't bother me at all. But, you know, I like real news. Not fake news. You're fake news. Thank you everybody. (leaves)

Michael

Hahahahahahahahaha!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

They tried to David Brock the President by attacking his commercial sponsors, so to speak. They went after the CEO's, who started to resign from his business advisory councils. This is how they took out Bill O'Reilly and now they are trying to do this crap on the White House.

What did President Trump do?

Simple. He exercised leadership:

Boom. Game over.

Most of the big business folks are crony corporatists and ALL of them want big fat juicy government contracts.

Wait until upstart competitors start getting those contracts. And wait until small and medium businesses start getting a boost by releasing the regulations against competition that, on the surface, look like they oversee the big corporations, but in reality, shut the small companies out.

The following from this morning might be an indication of what's coming.

Michael

About Amazon, there's some weird stuff going on.

Bezos just toured the Pentagon and signed on.

I wonder if that is now in jeopardy. Or what is going on in the back rooms.

I keep an eye on Jimmy Dore because, even though he is hardcore progressive, he does respect facts when the elitists are concerned. And he reports stuff that everyone else ignores.

Amazon hooking up with the Pentagon is something people should be interested in.

I am...

Michael

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Boom. Game over.

Most of the big business folks are crony corporatists and ALL of them want big fat juicy government contracts.

I left out something that left-leaning Axios supplied: globalism.

What Steve Bannon thinks about Charlottesville

From the article:

On Tuesday night, while Gary Cohn was fuming about President Trump's latest comments, Steve Bannon was excitedly telling friends and associates that the "globalists" were in mass freakout mode.

• Today, Bannon reveled in the disbanding of the president's business council, seeing this as yet more evidence that the Trump administration is at odds with the "Davos crowd," as Bannon often calls these corporate elites, in a voice dripping with contempt.

• Bannon saw Trump's now-infamous Tuesday afternoon press conference not as the lowest point in his presidency, but as a "defining moment," where Trump decided to fully abandon the "globalists" and side with "his people."

• Per a source with knowledge: "Steve was proud of how [Trump] stood up to the braying mob of reporters" in the Tuesday press conference.

And all I can say is:

Yes!!!!

Michael

And there's this (ABC News):

Special counsel's Russia probe loses top FBI investigator

One of the FBI's top investigators, tapped by special counsel Robert Mueller just weeks ago to help lead the probe of Russian meddling in last year's presidential election, has left Mueller’s team, sources tell ABC News.

The recent departure of FBI veteran Peter Strzok is the first known hitch in a secretive probe that by all public accounts is charging full-steam ahead.

I speculate, but I bet he was embarrassed to be on such a nothingburger team that now has to find someone, anyone, to crucify, irrespective of for what trivial cause, to justify their inflated paychecks.

Maybe it was those damn emails showing the Trump team during the campaign being offered several times to meet with top Russians but rebuffing the offers (see here).

Michael

18 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Wait until upstart competitors start getting those contracts. And wait until small and medium businesses start getting a boost by releasing the regulations against competition that, on the surface, look like they oversee the big corporations, but in reality, shut the small companies out.

Here we go, one day later:

Michael

Rush Limbaugh always said one of the main functions of the pro-left mainstream media is to make the other side feel like the situation is hopeless and lose heart, thus stay away from the voting booths at the relevant times.

This is exactly what is happening right now re President Trump.

If anyone is feeling that way, watch the video below with Steve Pieczenik. It looks like it's mostly about the current woes of Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Granted, it deals with her some and if you look around the news, even on the left, you will see that she is sinking into some deep deep deep deep deep deep deep deep doodoo.

Also, Pieczenik can get a little quirky in some of his ideas, especially when he criticizes rival intelligence organizations (CIA and FBI), and even diagnoses Abraham Lincoln as a narcissist :) , so it's easy to dismiss him if that stuff is all you pay attention to.

However, Pieczenik has been involved in the USA toppling the governments of other countries in addition to a lot of military skullduggery, and he was a technical advisor about the military to Tom Clancy and even coauthored bestsellers with him. So there's a deep knowledge side to him. Pieczenik has too many longstanding contacts in the bowels of the military, intelligence community and government, to ignore and it would be foolish to casually dismiss the deep stuff he says because of his quirks.

I believe his diagnosis of the current media howling about Charlottesville, and of President Trump's current situation (where the generals around him are barricading him against the deep state), is spot on--including the impending long-term demise of the Democrats (after infrastructure and tax reform).

Just listening to this video made me feel a serenity that I was losing amidst all the media noise and chaos. Especially the part at the end when he was asked what the Democrats will do and he said, scream. That's what a dying animal does. Scream. And that's about all it can do.

Seriously, if you are feeling down due to the media like Rush says, watch this video. Ignore the quirky stuff, listen to the rest, realize there's a lot of facts and experience there, and you will feel a lot better instantly.

Michael

What the hell is going on with Steve Bannon?

LOL... :) 

Here's the story. Bannon just did a Scaramucci. He called up Robert Kuttner (leftist extreme Trump hater) at American Prospect, then unloaded. That's like him calling Russian Times or Al Jazeera to give them a scoop, fer keeeriiiiiiisakes. Then he swaggered in the interview just like The Mooch except without a lot of foul language. He even made it sound like he's the one running the presidency.

This is now front and center on Drudge and has been all day:

08.17.2017-16.45.png

The link doesn't go to the American Prospect article, but to WaPo instead (which then links to American Prospect): 

Steve Bannon says rivals ‘wetting themselves,’ calls supremacists ‘clowns,’ contradicts Trump on N. Korea

Not a peep on Breitbart, though. (EDIT: Oops, it's here, but way down the page.)

Bannon and Drudge are super friends (Breitbart even got his start at Druge), so this looks like a thing. I don't know what's behind it, but I'm sure it's aimed at making the heads of the fake news crowd explode. :) 

Here's an analysis by Rush Limbaugh, but he did nothing except throw gasoline on the fire of mystery. He even said:

And I’m just sharing this with you because you’re gonna be hearing and reading about all this, and you’re gonna hear all these theories about what Bannon’s doing and why he’s doing it and why Trump doesn’t fire him and why Trump will fire him or why Bannon won’t just quit.

All this is too pat and smug. After all my study of persuasion, I can smell a sales letter a mile off. :)  

In my opinion, these guys are punking off the mainstream news to watch them go around in circles like bumper cars in a local fair and giving the readers a good celebrity mystery for entertainment to boot.

Michael

EDIT: The Barcelona terrorist attack is now sucking up all the space in the media, so this might not have the impact it otherwise would have had. We shall see...

President Trump Tweeted a debunked story about General Pershing using bullets soaked in pig's blood  on Muslims (or variation thereof).

The press is having a field day. Gotchas galore.

Rand once said do not examine a folly. Ask only what it accomplishes. So what did this folly accomplish?

By being a debunked story with a hostile press, it was sure to get a lot of press coverage, including to terrorists like, say, the ones who approved of the Barcelona attack today. At the minimum, I suspect they will think if he was crazy enough to do that, he might be crazy enough to follow through if they hit the US. So there are better countries to hit...

Michael