Motivating America's Workforce

kb123

I'm a motivational speaker and writer. Or, to be honest, I am endeavoring to be one! For fifteen years I have worked in sales, management and even teaching. My goal has always been to create a different breed of motivational products.

I do enjoy quotes and those cheesy posters "ACHIEVEMENT!" and so on. But I do think a lot of the generic products are lacking.

I created ifpoem.org as a starting point for what I'm working on.

I'm curious, does anyone here have motivational posters/quotes or anything like that on their walls? What do you have?

(NOTE FROM MSK: If you read the thread below, not a great start, but Kirk is actually cool By the end, everything got good.)

I'm a motivational speaker and writer. Or, to be honest, I am endeavoring to be one! For fifteen years I have worked in sales, management and even teaching. My goal has always been to create a different breed of motivational products.

I do enjoy quotes and those cheesy posters "ACHIEVEMENT!" and so on. But I do think a lot of the generic products are lacking.

I'm curious, does anyone here have motivational posters/quotes or anything like that on their walls? What do you have?

Interesting career path...

Why are you on an Ayn Rand philosophy forum...did you get lost?

A...

I prefer Demotivators posters.

J

I created www.ifpoem[dot]org as a starting point for what I'm working on.

Our walls have my wife's paintings and drawings on them. But I do appreciate sayings... especially funny ones like:

"There's always hope.

There just isn't a chance."

"Everyone brings joy to this office

some when they arrive

others when they leave".

The Bible has some really good ones:

"The Lord is my Shepherd

I shall not want."

That is not empty flowery poetry. It is a literal statement of fact... a promise which only you can break..

I made up this one,

and use it to guide my life:

"If you closely examine your chains

you will discover they were forged

by your own hand."

Greg

Kirk,

You are curious?

Really?

Meaning you intend to actually discuss this with OL members?

Ha!

I have no problem with you trying to push your product here on OL so long as it is not spam. Self-help is not totally out of place here.

However, it would help if you actually participated in a discussion or other rather than opening one thread for sales and another copy/paste of the poem as bogus interaction.

Did you even profile the people here? Or do you think this is a group of suckers to be plucked for the taking?

Did you know, for instance, that If by Kipling was read at Ayn Rand's funeral in the place of religious scripture since she was an atheist? If you knew that, why didn't you mention it? My bet is you didn't know it.

When I see you trying what you are trying on OL, I believe you need some marketing help. So I am leaving your effort up--not because I believe you are not spamming. You are. But since you are so lame at it, I think you are a beginner and misguided. Learn marketing, dude. That will not kill you. Especially if you want to make an info-product telling others how to live and sell it to them.

Look at what you just did. Your subtext is: "I have discovered awesome wisdom based on a poem I want to share with you. In fact, it made me so awesome, I can't be bothered to convince you. Instead, I have to try to trick you into buying my shit. So learn from my course for a couple hundred smackaroonies and become like me."

That doesn't speak well for you or your product.

I suggest you look into Udemy. They have a student base of millions, an aggressive inhouse marketing effort, and free step-by-step instructions on how to get it together for both course creation and marketing. And they are growing like wildfire.

I will be putting a course of my own (about creating stories) up there before too long.

Word of warning though. Any more spammy tactics on OL from you will be deleted.

Participate if you wish or leave things as they are. But no more lame marketing. The spam, while irritating, is not offensive for the level of OL readers. The sheer lameness is.

These are intelligent people.

Your marketing effort was stupid.

That's a crappy fit.

Michael

DAYAMM! That'll teach me to look more carefully. I only skimmed this dude's link before I sounded off. He's not selling self-help shit he did himself. He's selling posters with quotes on them.

Garbage pile and I'm deleting the other thread.

You may as well delete this thread too. He was here for only 21 minutes yesterday and hasn't been back. He just wants you to go to his place and buy his stuff.

--Brant-

Thought so, I was not even going to post and encourage him, however, I was in a foul mood...lol.

I created www.ifpoem[dot]org as a starting point for what I'm working on.

Interesting career path...

Why are you on an Ayn Rand philosophy forum...did you get lost?

A...

Good question!

I started reading Rand at 18, and she really impacted the way I viewed my long-term career goals. I won't go into all the nitty gritty, but I'll just say she altered my strategy quite a lot.

Mostly, when I was in sales for four years after high school, I read a lot, including Rand. After I saved up money and returned to college, I founded an Objectivist club at The University of Colorado. It was quite a successful club (I think.) We had about 20 people each week and I put on 5 speaking events with Objectivists. I also won some scholarship money from the Atlas Shrugged essay contest.

After college I worked for the Ayn Rand Institute for a year, and then I got a job at LePort as a teacher. I did that for a year and a half and then started working for Alex Epstein at The Center for Industrial Progress as his personal assistant.

I've written several pieces for The Undercurrent and for The Objective Standard.

Also I'm a graduate of the four year Objectivist Academic Center through ARI, and a frequent attendee at OCON. I was even an OCON scholar back in 2008.

I definitely did not get lost, but I can understand how you would think that.

And yes, to all the others, I am selling a product. I honestly believed it would be something of use to people here since it is a Wall Art of the poem IF by Rudyard Kipling. But I fully intend to become more active in the Objectivist community, generally.

Just for the record I take no sides in any schisms, so if that bars me from any communities, well, it is what it is! I'm not an intellectual, I'm more a Kent Lansing than anything else.

I do have to say I'm glad there is such a lot of activity on this site.

Hope to talk soon and I would love any feedback on my new business at the aforementioned website. If it's not allowed than I understand.

Kirk,

You are curious?

Really?

Meaning you intend to actually discuss this with OL members?

Ha!

I have no problem with you trying to push your product here on OL so long as it is not spam. Self-help is not totally out of place here.

However, it would help if you actually participated in a discussion or other rather than opening one thread for sales and another copy/paste of the poem as bogus interaction.

Did you even profile the people here? Or do you think this is a group of suckers to be plucked for the taking?

Did you know, for instance, that If by Kipling was read at Ayn Rand's funeral in the place of religious scripture since she was an atheist? If you knew that, why didn't you mention it? My bet is you didn't know it.

When I see you trying what you are trying on OL, I believe you need some marketing help. So I am leaving your effort up--not because I believe you are not spamming. You are. But since you are so lame at it, I think you are a beginner and misguided. Learn marketing, dude. That will not kill you. Especially if you want to make an info-product telling others how to live and sell it to them.

Look at what you just did. Your subtext is: "I have discovered awesome wisdom based on a poem I want to share with you. In fact, it made me so awesome, I can't be bothered to convince you. Instead, I have to try to trick you into buying my shit. So learn from my course for a couple hundred smackaroonies and become like me."

That doesn't speak well for you or your product.

I suggest you look into Udemy. They have a student base of millions, an aggressive inhouse marketing effort, and free step-by-step instructions on how to get it together for both course creation and marketing. And they are growing like wildfire.

I will be putting a course of my own (about creating stories) up there before too long.

Word of warning though. Any more spammy tactics on OL from you will be deleted.

Participate if you wish or leave things as they are. But no more lame marketing. The spam, while irritating, is not offensive for the level of OL readers. The sheer lameness is.

These are intelligent people.

Your marketing effort was stupid.

That's a crappy fit.

Michael

DAYAMM! That'll teach me to look more carefully. I only skimmed this dude's link before I sounded off. He's not selling self-help shit he did himself. He's selling posters with quotes on them.

Garbage pile and I'm deleting the other thread.

Thanks I'll make sure to post more about my background in Objectivist, next time. I guess I was a bit silly to think people would somehow have all the information about me :smile:

And thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into UDemy but I'm more of a ground level guy. Currently I go door to door to Real Estate offices and pitch my product. I know it's old school, but I'm a look you in the eye kinda guy.

I do have a podcast. But I won't post it here since it will probably just be deleted!

It was an understandable issue. I didn't clearly state who I was! One day hopefully I won't need to :smile:

And I don't even have my real name up either. Not that that would change anything! It has been a while since I've done any online community chatting.

My name's Kirk Barbera by the way.

Welcome to OL.

Just for the record, this is the only forum that I participate in because of the fact that Michael and Kat have created a real place in this algorithmic algae for independent thought that is Randian in foundation.

Therefore, I am fiercely protective of what I value.

Hence, my Socratic question which kinda had a blade sinister ready...

I for one would enjoy hearing why your club worked so well.

A...

Welcome to OL.

Just for the record, this is the only forum that I participate in because of the fact that Michael and Kat have created a real place in this algorithmic algae for independent thought that is Randian in foundation.

Therefore, I am fiercely protective of what I value.

Hence, my Socratic question which kinda had a blade sinister ready...

I for one would enjoy hearing why your club worked so well.

A...

Thanks Selene.

I think one of the reasons it worked was that I was consistent in advertising and always providing a fun and engaging atmosphere.

Also, since I built relationships with the school administration, it was very easy for me to gain funding from the University to bring on Objectivist speakers. Doing that was extremely helpful in building the club. Especially since we would all get together and promote the club, further bolstering a sense of community.

Another thing was I utilized the local Objectivist clubs as much as possible. I brought them into our club to talk or just participate, and this further created a sense of a broader community.

Another thing was I utilized the local Objectivist clubs as much as possible. I brought them into our club to talk or just participate, and this further created a sense of a broader community.

Good building blocks.

Did you connect the folks interested in objectivism/Ayn's works and the libertarian community.

I know a few folks in Colorado libertarian/freedom movements which is why I ask.

A...

Good building blocks.

Did you connect the folks interested in objectivism/Ayn's works and the libertarian community.

I know a few folks in Colorado libertarian/freedom movements which is why I ask.

A...

Yeah I did!

I helped Amanda Muell (used to be Teresi) start her Liberty on The Rocks movement. I also helped Brad Beck in founding the Liberty Toastmasters group.

I did some talks at libertarian events, and I helped out with some of the local Tea Partiers at the time. This was 08-12.

Good building blocks.

A...

Yeah I did!

I helped Amanda Muell (used to be Teresi) start her Liberty on The Rocks movement. I also helped Brad Beck in founding the Liberty Toastmasters group.

I did some talks at libertarian events, and I helped out with some of the local Tea Partiers at the time. This was 08-12.

Liberty on the Rocks was an excellent concept. I carried on an email conversation with her. Great idea for the under 35 age group.

Also, conceptually, a business networking subtext which always works in terms of organizing.

Geez...to think that I almost chased you away from OL...!

A...