FIFA Scandal

FIFA Scandal

This is more for those who are not from the USA, but it is hilarious.

Not the scandal. John Oliver's take on it.

Since I lived in Brazil for 32 years, I know just how big soccer is out there. So I believe Oliver when he says that if the FBI could somehow manage to get rid of Sepp Blatter, the image of the USA around the world would suffer a massive sudden increase in popularity and admiration.

:)

Michael

Well that was quick...can we get our President to join him in solidarity and resign?

Mr. Blatter was re-elected to his post just Friday, 133-73, and said he would serve until a new election.

He has been praised for extending soccer’s reach to less developed nations and raising the profile of the women’s game. But he has been dodging scandals almost from the moment he was elected.

Earlier Tuesday, FIFA responded to an article by The New York Times linking Jérôme Valcke, FIFA’s secretary general, to payments made in 2008 that investigators believe amounted to $10 million in bribes. FIFA said in a statement that the payments, which are at the center of a United States Department of Justice investigation that led to a 47-count indictment against soccer officials and sports marketing executives, were approved in 2007 by Julio Grondona. Mr. Grondona, who was the chairman of FIFA’s finance committee at the time, died last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/sports/soccer/sepp-blatter-to-resign-as-fifa-president.html

I'm not sure what's going on with this but it seems like an international organization dedicated to a recreational activity which people spend billions on is bound to be corrupt.

I remember a few world cups ago hearing about a referee from Sudan being charged with taking a bribe. My initial reaction was "oh, he's showing that Sudanese people have no integrity". Then I thought about how much money is bet on each game, how easy it is for a referee to change the outcome and how far a small amount of money can go in Sudan... Seemed like the ref was doing the right thing.

I've stopped reading some movie reviews. I don't trust the reviewer not to be getting something under the table. Later reviews could be better for that right out of the gate movie showing distribution is no longer important.

--Brant

I got this idea reading a review of the newest Mad Max movie for I thought the trailers were ridiculous but the review was a complete gush (I might be wrong about the movie and the review for gush can be justified)

Corrupt FIFA officials meet corrupt ANC 'crats-- a marriage made in Heaven. And we all thought we'd been given the World Cup on merit and because everybody adores SAfricans...

Well we sure did not enjoy those buzzing things Tony!