Woman Arrested For Biting Off Pit Bull’s Testicles

This is not an unusual procedure with variations.

The Science of the Pain of Castration

The first scientific paper on the pain of castration was published in 1988. In this work, McGlone and Hellman castrated piglets (3 days old) or nursery-age pigs (7 weeks old) with and without local or general anesthesia. The authors measured behavior, growth and mortality.

McGlone, J. J. and J. M. Hellman. 1988. Local and general anesthetic effects on behavior and performance of 2 and 7 week old castrated and non-castrated piglets. J. Animal Science. 66:3049-3058.

Presented in Figure 1 is a summary of the effects of local anesthesia on nursing behavior in piglets. Castration reduced nursing behavior. This effect was partially reversed by use of local anesthetic. This is evidence that castration is painful during this 3-hour period after castration.

Figure1

Local anesthesia relieves the procedural pain but when it wears off in about 30 to 60 minutes the pain returns. Several studies have been published on use of different anesthetic agents (to remove procedure pain) and analgesics (to attempt to remove post-procedure pain). Effective analgesics have not been identified at this time.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/animalwelfare/Research/PigCastration/#4

During my three (3) summers interning at the Animal Medical Center in NYC, we had a number of big animal vets from the mid west interning also. There was much discussion of processes like castration.

Additionally, from the farms that I worked on in North Eastern Pa., you get to understand the very practical side of rural farming.

A...

I have not read any of this thread,and I sure never want to, but I would like to congratulate Las Vegas for the most blackly humorous topic title I've ever read here.

Damn Daunce threw down the gauntlet to you Brant!

I have not read any of this thread,and I sure never want to, but I would like to congratulate Las Vegas for the most blackly humorous topic title I've ever read here.

Damn Daunce threw down the gauntlet to you Brant!

DUANCE GOES TO VEGAS STAYS IN VEGAS