There's a Reason this Hits Home

See, I knew Greg had something up his sleeve, well you know what I mean, ....he is going to franchise his pump system!!

Kaliforlornia marxist one ups Marie Antoinette with let them drink shit!!

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-toilet-to-tap-20150525-story.html#page=1

It's a technology with the potential to ease California's colossal thirst and insulate millions from the parched whims of Mother Nature, experts say.

But there's just one problem — the "yuck factor."

As a fourth year of drought continues to drain aquifers and reservoirs, California water managers and environmentalists are urging adoption of a polarizing water recycling policy known as direct potable reuse.

Unlike nonpotable reuse — in which treated sewage is used to irrigate crops, parks or golf courses — direct potable reuse takes treated sewage effluent and purifies it so it can be used as drinking water.

It's a concept that might cause some consumers to wince, but it has been used for decades in Windhoek, Namibia — where evaporation rates exceed annual rainfall — and more recently in drought-stricken Texas cities, including Big Spring and Wichita Falls.

Yes, that is what we want Kaliforlornia to be like!!

NAMBIA

A black Marxist separatist group, the South West African People's Organization (SWAPO), formed in 1960 and began small-scale guerrilla attacks aimed at achieving independence. In 1966, the UN called for South Africa's withdrawal from the territory, and officially renamed it Namibia in 1968. South Africa refused to obey. Under a 1974 Security Council resolution, South Africa was required to begin the transfer of power or face UN action. Prime Minister Balthazar J. Vorster rejected UN supervision, claiming that his government was prepared to negotiate Namibian independence, but not with SWAPO, which the UN had recognized as the “sole legitimate representative” of the Namibian people.

Read more: Namibia: Maps, History, Geography, Government, Culture, Facts, Guide & Travel/Holidays/Cities http://www.infoplease.com/country/namibia.html?pageno=2#ixzz3bCidHVYV

Yeah!! They grew from Marxists so they must be for the people....

life expectancy: 52.17 - Perfect - the PPACA will work great with rationing "health care!"

GDP per capita is $8,577 PPP [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity]

GDP per capita is $5,961 Nominal

Yeah, they all fall below the Federal poverty guidelines so we can model Kaliforlornia into an American subsidized slave state!!

Time to celebrate the President's brilliant transformation of America.

A...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, I knew Greg had something up his sleeve, well you know what I mean, ....he is going to franchise his pump system!!

It works so well I'm considering creating another business... :smile:

...but it only produces agricultural water, not drinking water.

This is the first chamber of the septic tank where the raw sewage from our home is aerated and composted...

IMG_0105_zpshhptijy0.jpg

From there it goes to the second chamber of the septic tank where the water settles out and clarifies...

IMG_0111_zpsotkpwqwh.jpg

Since that picture was taken I ran the windmill's air output to the second chamber since there are now fish living in it. The white cap with the long handle houses a very fine effluent bristle filter.

The third chamber is a sump that holds the water for pumping to two locations.

IMG_0136_zpsouiplru1.jpg

An old fashioned hand pump... where the water is bucketed to the trees.

IMG_0113_zpsgt01pnh9.jpg

IMG_0117_zps8beaqjgz.jpg

And up to a 660 gallon storage tank... by a sump pump with an automatic float switch. From there the water is gravity fed by hose to the trees.

IMG_0137_zpsyzfkpbk1.jpg

We no longer utilize the septic pit as all of the water is automatically processed and diverted for our use.

Just behind the tank is an Apricot and a Persimmon tree.

It's still too early to tell exactly what this is going to do to our water bill because we get billed bi-monthly. But so far rough estimation indicates more than 50% reduction in usage.

Greg

Oh. That scene in Fargo was based on a murder case in Connecticut. The body was never found.

The murdered wife in that movie--she really did need to stop screaming.

That movie was a comedy and a satire.

Nothing to do with Fargo.

Great title

Well boys now we have excellent DNA analysis, so if they can get DNA off a pizza crust and then nail the alleged murderer in the recent Washington DC case, I would not rely on a wood chipper.

More like Helen Mirro in Red2 where she is dissolving the body in her bath tub.

A...

Well boys now we have excellent DNA analysis, so if they can get DNA off a pizza crust and then nail the alleged murderer in the recent Washington DC case, I would not rely on a wood chipper.

More like Helen Mirro in Red2 where she is dissolving the body in her bath tub.

A...

(I think she's an incredibly beautiful woman.)

Greg

Adam got to first base before me, dammit. I know I should have added a link to this note on Greg's system:

(I salute Greg for the sewage waterworks, by the way. The system he has in place in macro-size is brilliant. With a few further sophisticated treatments (born of science and commerce and environmental concerns) he can return pure sweet drinking water.)

Oh well.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-toilet-to-tap-20150525-story.html#page=1

As a fourth year of drought continues to drain aquifers and reservoirs, California water managers and environmentalists are urging adoption of a polarizing water recycling policy known as direct potable reuse.

Unlike nonpotable reuse — in which treated sewage is used to irrigate crops, parks or golf courses — direct potable reuse takes treated sewage effluent and purifies it so it can be used as drinking water.

It's a concept that might cause some consumers to wince, but it has been used for decades in Windhoek, Namibia — where evaporation rates exceed annual rainfall — and more recently in drought-stricken Texas cities, including Big Spring and Wichita Falls.

Yes, that is what we want Kaliforlornia to be like!!

Why not? Big Spring and Wichita Falls seem to have made smart choices in water management. See "Drought-Stricken Texas Town Turns To Toilets For Water" at NPR.

The mayor insists the water will be clean and safe, and the city has undertaken a massive education campaign to explain the science behind the process, known as direct potable reuse. Several other Texas cities are pursuing the process. One small hamlet started recycling wastewater in 2011, but not on the scale that's being done here.

Some people unceremoniously call it "toilet-to-tap," but the city official overseeing this process, Daniel Nix, says that's not really how it works.

"The vast majority of water that enters a wastewater plant did not come from a toilet," he says. "They come from sinks, and bathtubs, and washing machines and dishwashers."

Wastewater in Wichita Falls is currently treated and then emptied into the nearby Big Wichita River, where a natural cleansing process takes place. That water is carried downstream to a large reservoir, where other cities treat it further before drinking it.

Nix says they'll re-create that natural cleansing process inside the plant.

Or, if not Texas, hell -- maybe Nombia/Narmbia/Namibooya/NAMBiA/Namibia -- the former trust territory under Apartheid rule till 1985. They have one of the most fantastic coastal deserts in the world -- and their country is the driest in sub-Saharan Africa. What water they have is managed tightly. I couldn't interpret Adam's murky tirade about slave states, commies and whatnot. If he was suggesting Windhoek is some hideous shithole, that is wrong indeed. Namibia may not be the full democracy that South Africa is, but it offers a quality of life that is comparable in some measures. Adam's figures about life-expectancy are out of date, and he failed to compare Namibia's metrics to its bigger southern neighbour. Context.

By some accounts, Namibia's Windhoek pioneered reclamation of sewage in the mid sixties -- while White Folk still ran things. Their first modern reclamation plant opened in 2002, and is state of the art, as they say. A very sophisticated process. From their project website:

Process steps:

Oxidation and pre-ozonation
Powdered activated carbon dosing
Coagulation and flocculation
Dissolved air flotation (DAF)
Dual media filtration
Main ozonation
Biological activated carbon filtration (BAC)
Granular activated carbon filtration (GAC)
Ultrafiltration
Disinfection and stabilisation.

Here's a brief video featuring Windhoek's reclamation system.

I won't oversell the place, as it has terrible persistent problems with sanitation.

Back in America, it looks like Wichita Falls has so far escaped the most terrible flash-flood effects of the raging storms that have dumped in Texas -- the city has had its wettest month in history.

As for the drought, well ...

As of Thursday, the U.S. Drought Monitor said no portion of Texas — or Oklahoma, for that matter — is in an extreme drought anymore. Victor Murphy, the climate program manager for the National Weather Service’s southern region, said the extreme Texas drought is “all but over.”

We don't need to produce drinking water, William... just irrigation water for the fruit trees. Although in an emergency we can easily produce all the pure drinking water we need with this...

IMG_7884_zpscd61e955.jpg

It's a Berkey. The compressed carbon nano filters are good for 3,000 gallons, and it filters so completely that even water dyed with food coloring comes out clear. You can literally pee into it and it will produce clear pure sanitary drinking water.

Individual residential waste water treatment plants will be the wave of the future in drought affected areas.

Greg

Boil the water for 1.5 minutes at your presumed by me above sea-level elevation of 2000'.

Mama on the machine gun--it's a .50 cal. That mount can't handle the recoil from real ammo. In that enclosed space the echoing of such a weapon might destroy your hearing. The seemingly depicted damage and rate of fire seems more like a .30 than .50 and the ejected casings seem too light. That's a Hollywood gun, of course, or not a gun at all.

--Brant

Boil the water for 1.5 minutes at you presumed above sea-level elevation of 2000'.

Mama on the machine gun--it's a .50 cal.

--Brant

Yes... as long as you have a heat source when the utilities go out in an emergency. We heat our home with a simple wood stove and save the utility costs of forced air systems and heat pumps.

55d1c8cd.jpg

It always works when everything else fails.

Greg