The 2016 Presidential Ticket Thread[it was tough not putting this into Humor]

If enough people ask Donald Stump for some sort of comprehensive policy statement . . . if he wants to be taken seriously . . . then he may comply. But if he continues on just running off at the mouth he will be as serious as John Belushi in Samarai garb and a sword.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me be the first to officially call the Democratic nominee:

2016 - Biden and either Webb or a Latina/Latino as VP...

Biden has put off the decision until September 2015.

A...

Check this out.

Hillary Clinton’s Mega-Donors Are Also Funding Jeb Bush

Years ago in 1979, in a book called Restoring the American Dream (updated since then), Robert Ringer used the phrase "Demopublican Party" a lot. I read it back then (while I was in Brazil). I don't know how good the update is.

Anyhoo...

Here we are 35 years or so later and the homogeneity is still the same. Maybe even more so.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Let me be the first...

Democratic Ticket for 2016:

Biden - Kirsten Gillibrand Senator NY problem with the NE tilt...

Interesting insight on Biden and a path to the Presidency.

Vice President Joe Biden is not yet running for president. Nevertheless, the latest CNN poll has him at 14 percent and Hillary Clinton at 47 percent. The 43 percent not-Clinton vote (Biden’s 14 percent plus 29 percent for Sen. Bernie Sanders) nearly equals her support.

He can sit back and keep his hands clean as Evita self destructs.

He lets the GOP, the media and the FBI work their will on Clinton. As a member of the executive branch, he can refuse to answer any question about her legal difficulties. Instead, he runs a blue-collar-friendly race, stressing his own Scranton, Pa., roots and reminding voters that he was the one fighting for gay rights and gun control in this administration. (All that has the benefit of being true.)

This will be a turnout issue and although he will pick up a majority of O'bama's vote, however, he will not come close to his turnout, especially in some critical states.

Biden has two silent endorsements. First, he plays on the president’s obvious affection and respect for him, which is palpable. Second, there is Beau Biden. We now know Beau wanted his father to run for office. It may be too emotionally grueling and even off-putting for Biden to invoke his deceased son, but Jill Biden, a tremendous political asset in her own right, can do it. Moreover, the country saw Biden through new eyes in the aftermath of Beau’s death — heroic, brave, gracious, stalwart. It is that image of the reluctant public servant tested by personal tragedy that is most compelling. In a way Hillary Clinton can never do, Biden can connect emotionally with voters — more than ever in the aftermath of his son’s death.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2015/08/19/bidens-easy-road-to-the-nomination/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_popns

A...

OK - my post birthday pick - Trump - Kasich

I wondered. Kasich pretty much sat out the debate (no pluses or minuses). Playing it safe?

I think the government would grow under a Trump administration, individual freedom would not grow, and Trump himself would make a Nixon level blunder at some point. He will become a gift to the left. He is, however, very smart. He sees the direction things are going and the safest place for him to be to protect his assets is inside the government. If you think he's doing it for you, for freedom, democracy, the founding fathers, small business, conservatism; I think you're wrong. He will achieve his goals. None of yours are in his top ten.

I could be wrong.

I wondered. Kasich pretty much sat out the debate (no pluses or minuses). Playing it safe?

I think the government would grow under a Trump administration, individual freedom would not grow, and Trump himself would make a Nixon level blunder at some point. He will become a gift to the left. He is, however, very smart. He sees the direction things are going and the safest place for him to be to protect his assets is inside the government. If you think he's doing it for you, for freedom, democracy, the founding fathers, small business, conservatism; I think you're wrong. He will achieve his goals. None of yours are in his top ten.

I could be wrong.

And that is a credible argument.

However, this thread is about picks and my decades of being in the trenches of politics, particularly NY politics, I am making my best judgments at this point in time.

I think Trump has a 40% chance right now of being minimally a force at the convention.

Making a deal with the establishment wherein he will be the Presidential nominee with Kasich as the VP.

Kasich pluses:

1) the Republican establishment will be "comfortable" with him;

2) he took 84 out of 86 counties in Ohio;

3) he is a doer, as he established in 1992; and

4) he has his blue collar roots/my father was a Postal Worker meme going for him.

Question would be whether a rapprochement is possible at that point.

It is going to be an interesting year and two and a half months.

A...

a lover of politics because as Drury explained, it is "capable of honor," our Founders fully understood this because they pledged their Sacred Honor...

Mike E. wrote: I think the government would grow under a Trump administration, individual freedom would not grow, and Trump himself would make a Nixon level blunder at some point. He will become a gift to the left. He is, however, very smart. He sees the direction things are going and the safest place for him to be to protect his assets is inside the government.
end quote

A book I just read discusses oversea's and especially hidden Swiss Bank accounts becoming public. Originally it was to expose wealth accumulated by the Nazi’s. However, PEP’s (politically exposed persons) of the US and other western countries were not exposed because it would have hit congress and past presidents hard. Would Trump continue the practice of protecting PEP’s?

Unfortunately, I also fear he will grow government and protect his friends. I listened to a speech Trump recently and it was boring with little substance. He seemed bored with it too.

• 1 month later...

Really starting to feel Marco Rubio - John Kasich ticket .

Maybe the wrong thread but Republicans cannot win the WH without Florida and Ohio .

Get your Latinos , your young voters , Ohio on a silver platter .

I could also see Rubio - Carly but looks like Bush is just about done here too .

"I'm not a masochist. If I was dropping in the polls where I saw that I wasn't going to win, why would I continue?" Trump told NBC's Chuck Todd.

I mean like , what do they call that ? checking the the temperature ?
Just preparing his supporters so when he hands off to Rubio or whoever , he can refer to this quote .
The deal maker is getting prepare to deal .

Repubs actually got a guy who is under 100 , will get Latinos , young voters , probably women votes .

And folks actually think that another old white guy who will for sure clean up in the northeast among old wealthy white voters is gonna win this nomination .

Supreme court issue , and to boot in an election year where the Repubs will actually win - yet they gonna put in Trump ?

I know , I know , I know . The polls .

13 months before the election and all the voters who don't vote in the primaries say they will vote for DT .

Blah blah blah .

Gonna start calling him Casper ( as in friendly ghost ) , cause DT is going to be disappearing quite quickly .

Gonna start calling him Casper ( as in friendly ghost ) , cause DT is going to be disappearing quite quickly .

I know, I know.

That's why we are planing a religion based on him appearing and re-appearing...and in honor of Yogi we are calling it the Deja Voo Doo Religion which is based on the theories of most of the left wing media physicists.

A...

I know, I know.

That's why we are planing a religion based on him appearing and re-appearing...and in honor of Yogi we are calling it the Deja Voo Doo Religion which is based on the theories of most of the left wing media physicists.

A...

hahahaha !!!!! You are the new Chris Rock of OL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, any good stories about Canadian politics?

Yes and no. Yes, the opinion polls are showing that the incumbent party (Conservative) may gain the largest number of seats in a new Parliament, but not enough to form a majority government. The Liberals under Trudeau are presently in the lead -- but the lead is within the margin of error. So, no, the news is muddled. Much will depend on turnout.

The leftmost party has slumped from first place to third, and is no longer seen as likely to form a minority government.

The issues are muddled, except in Quebec. There, the number one issue is Niqab. Quebecers are concerned about ladies who veil their faces. At issue is a long-running attempt by the Conservatives to force ladies to unveil at citizenship ceremonies. The Niqab issue is tied into a sub-sonic election issue, namely Muslim Muslim Muslim ...

Edited by william.scherk

I don't think Brant meant that type of story.

Let's see Canada top us on this one!

You'all sittin down by the pot belly stove for thisa one...

We have a Libertarian Party candidate running, apparently unopposed, for Senator of the United States from the State of Florida. who partook of a Pagan ritual in which he killed a goat and drank it's blood.

Yeah baby!

A,,,

Go Go Goatherders for this wack job!!

I don't think Brant meant that type of story.

That's probably right. I will wait for him to weigh in. Brant tends to be a touch suspicious of the Great White North and its peoples.

Let's see Canada top us on this one!

You'all sittin down by the pot belly stove for thisa one...

We have a Libertarian Party candidate running, apparently unopposed, for Senator of the United States from the State of Florida. who partook of a Pagan ritual in which he killed a goat and drank it's blood.

Ah, August Sol Invictus. He sounds nice:

"I do not want you to vote, so much as I want you to wake up. I want you to drop out and tune in. I want you to take LSD and practice sorcery. I want you to listen to trap music and black metal, to learn the law and to break it deliberately, to find your own religion. I want you to learn the use of firearms and subject yourselves to rigorous physical training. I want you to treat your bodies as Holy Temples and to take your girlfriend to a strip club so you can seduce a dancer in the back room. I want you to worship Nature and dance naked in the moonlight round the fire, screaming in ecstatic joy. I want you to revolt. Raise Hell. Break your limitations. Renounce your life and go into the Wilderness, that God may speak to you of things to come."

There are spots of weirdness and oddball-candidate controversy in the current Canuck election, but nothing quite like Mr Sol.

Here's news of a site that pokes fun and causes candidates great embarrassment, from the Canadian Press via PuffHo: "True North Times, Satire Site, Wants To Crush Canadian Apathy" ...

The publication was thrust into the national spotlight in recent days when it was the first to report that an NDP candidate had made a crude reference online related to Auschwitz, prompting the candidate to defend herself by saying she didn't know anything about the Nazi death camp.

The site also exposed another NDP candidate, who has since dropped out of the race, for comparing the beliefs of one set of Orthodox Jews to the Taliban.

"We want to make people laugh and at the same time make them care," Sandhu told The Canadian Press, describing the site as something akin to American news-satire television program "The Daily Show."

"We often get a bad rap for being a not-so-interesting nation in terms of politics," he said. "We'd like to turn that stereotype on its head and say you're not looking hard enough, because a lot of crazy things are happening."

The satire site itself. It has been instrumental in forcing a couple of candidates out of their races, by turning up social media material -- and then letting Canuckistani shame culture do the rest.

-- I was wondering how Mr Sol got his nomination. You say he was unopposed?

Edited by william.scherk

Who was the old one?

Hey, any good stories about Canadian politics?

--Brant

AMERICAN & PROUD (to live in a kick ass country [the world trembles when--uh, oh well, it used to])

Canadian politics is an oxymoron , no ?

Thats makes me the old Chris Rock !!!!

Good one...

My friends just hid my grandfathers two (2) straight back razors, you know how emotional us Eyetalians are...

Yanks are down to their last two (2) outs...

lol