snow in Canada

jts

Canada is not the only place that has snow. See these pictures of snow in Russia.

http://englishrussia.com/2015/02/16/russian-kamchatka-hit-by-snow-storm/

Good pictures at the English Russia site (one of my favourites, alongside People of Walmart). This is from Kamchatka:

kamchatka_35.jpg

There is no snow in Vancouver, and spring is pushing up daffodils. What's it like in Edmonton, Jerry?

I've heard tell of some kind of Canadian-style winter weather on the Eastern Seaboard of the USA. From a two day old CBC report on bad weather in Boston and region:

Snow totals

Some areas of New England reported nearly 60 cm of snow from the storm including Acushnet, Massachusetts with 55 cm, and Salisbury with 52 cm. Boston recorded 33 cm of new snow. At the easternmost tip of Maine, Lubechad had a full 60 cm.
With many intersections already clogged by soaring snow banks, forces mobilized before the storm to remove piles of snow. Massachusetts called up the National Guard troops to help and Hanscom Air Force base outside Boston became a staging area for heavy equipment pouring in from eight other Northeast states.
———
Lightning and white out conditions
Although the storm did not bring the eye-popping snow totals of others this season, it made its presence felt with lightning strikes and strong winds that left visibility close to zero for stretches along the coast.
"Oh my goodness, it's a whiteout!" said Sue Baker of Lubec, Maine, observing the wind blowing outside her bed and breakfast, the Peacock House.
The Coast Guard said it rescued an Australian father-son sailing team whose boat lost power and had its sails torn in 96 km/h winds about 225 kilometres southeast of Nantucket.
In Vermont, the wind was enough to force shut-down of the Lake Champlain ferry cross between Charlotte and Essex, New York.
On Cape Ann north of Boston, Patrick McGehee said he was awed by lightning strikes early Sunday morning when he took out his dog.
"I wasn't sure what was going on, if it was some kind of spiritual event or what," said McGehee, the owner of the Mary's by the Sea summer rental business in Rockport. "The whole sky lit up like somebody lit up a lightbulb."

Carrying on the tone of awesome 'spiritual event,' the CBN news site says, "And now it's the South's turn" . ...

What's it like in Edmonton, Jerry?

If you want to know the weather any place on planet Earth, go here.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/alberta/edmonton

And use the search feature.

I live inside, not outside. Inside where I live, the weather is fine, usually the temperature that I set it to.

Snow can be useful.

1. Some people like to go skiing or sledding.

2. Some children like to make snow men.

3. Some people think snowball fights are fun.

4. Snow is insulation; helps (along with ice) to prevent the water in lakes from freezing, so fish can survive.

5. Indians buried themselves in snow as a survival technique. (Snow is insulation.)

6. If you are roughing it in winter and you have no water, you can melt snow.

7. In spring when the snow melts, it provides moisture for farmers so their crops can grow.

... probably more

Cold can be useful.

1. Certain unpleasant insects don't survive our winters and are not native here.

2. If you live on a farm or somesuch place with lots of room, you can make a large refrigerator or freezer out of the great outdoors.

Surviving the cold.

If you are driving a car and you run out of gas and you are in the middle of nowhere and especially if it's cold, you could be in trouble. You should always be equipped for such an emergency and do a little planning for it to not happen.

Crazy white man.

Bison are adapted to cold and snow. Extreme cold does not bother them. In winter they dig under the snow to eat dead grass. Along come crazy white man. Kill all the bison. Bring cattle from Europe. Cattle need shelter in extreme cold. Too stupid to dig snow for dead grass; farmer makes hay for them; lots of work.

• 3 years later...

I too live inside for the past two weeks, not by choice but because of a week enjoying ill-health in hospital (storm , storm, ice, more storm), a thrill ride to Saint John in rainstorm  for variety, a riotous overnight in an empty Chateau Saint John (roads closed again)  followed  by an invigorating round of ingenious medical tests (not only is nothing new wrong with me, some old stuff is way better!!!) and back to sweet home where every house now has a beautiful backyard rink, as well as a front-yard and side-yard rinks....it is impossibly beautiful and silvery lacy icy and a children's paradise: no school, no church, banks and stores closed so no errands.

No wonder I remember my childhood so fondly, and I am entering my second one so unexpectedly cheerfully. Obviously I am in the right place.  Some people may consider the small-town culture of the east coast a hell, but they should know that they should rethink it, now that it has frozen over,