'Star Trek Continues' (2013)

An amazingly good "fan fiction" recreation of the original Star Trek t'v' series from the 1960s. High-quality from beginning to end. It features the actual son of Mr. Scott (James Doohan) reprising his dad's role, as well as the original villain from half a century ago (and more): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ.

Thanks for that, Kyrel.

Shame on me. I'm a ST fan (most of the episodes I found enjoyable) and didn't even know about this production. Several episodes are already done & available for viewing.

Saw the first few minutes...it does look really well done. Looking forward to watching all the episodes.

I enjoyed the characters Janeway, Picard, Spock, 7 of 9, Data, Quark, Worf, et al. Only the original series is being aired on my cable t.v. connection. So the solution, for me, is to order a 30' USB cable to make the connection between my desktop computer (Youtube, Hulu, Vimeo, etc.) to the big t.v. screen in another room. Gotta love technology.

-Joe

• 5 years later...
On 12/30/2014 at 1:52 PM, zantonavitch said:

An amazingly good "fan fiction" recreation of the original Star Trek t'v' series from the 1960s. High-quality from beginning to end. It features the actual son of Mr. Scott (James Doohan) reprising his dad's role, as well as the original villain from half a century ago (and more): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ.

Fans of "Star Trek The Next Generation." The script has stalled. We need your input. Please rewrite the following.  

Star Trek Special Victims Unit.  A series that examines the deep cultural harm done to planets that were impacted when the Enterprise did not follow the Prime Directive. Then the lives of individual victims will be dramatized. The series will begin with the court martial, trial and conviction of Captain Picard, by Q. Picard is exiled to the planet Monotony, Commander Riker to a planet without women, Worf is exiled and bolted to a wheel chair in to a liberal snow flake community in San Francisco, Deanna Troi is sent to a mental colony where she shares a room with her mother Lwaxana Troi, Doctor Beverly Crusher . . . , Wesley Crusher . . . , Geordi La Forge . . . ,  Engineer Miles O’Brien . . . , Data . . . .     

• 1 year later...

It’s after midnight here and I started watching “Star Trek IV” in the middle of the broadcast. It is very goooood.

The most acclaimed Star Trek adventure of all time with an important message. It is the 23rd century, and a mysterious alien probe is threatening Earth by evaporating the oceans and destroying the atmosphere. In their frantic attempt to save mankind, Admiral Kirk and his crew must time travel back to 1986 San Francisco where they find a world of punk, pizza and exact-change buses that are as alien to them as anything they have ever encountered in the far-off reaches of the galaxy. William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy return as Kirk and Spock, along with the entire Star Trek crew.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2014 at 1:52 PM, zantonavitch said:

An amazingly good "fan fiction" recreation of the original Star Trek t'v' series from the 1960s. High-quality from beginning to end. It features the actual son of Mr. Scott (James Doohan) reprising his dad's role, as well as the original villain from half a century ago

A century after Star Trek’s Captain Kirk and The Enterprise,  Captain Jonathan Archer on “Star Trek Enterprise” has a beagle in his quarters as a pet. At first I thought that was “quirky.” But now . . .   I think it makes historical, psychological, and biological sense. If you are alone, with no wife on a lonely Starship, do you watch videos or holograms? Or hit on a subordinate crew member? Might you have a pet instead? A pet is plausible going back to caveman times for companionship. I would go for a cat on the Enterprise. But those more high maintenance dogs are OK too. Nah. I would have a cat.  

• 11 months later...

Nichelle Nichols, 'Star Trek' icon who played Lieutenant Uhura, dies at 89. The news was showing the first black and white kiss on TV, and it was of course Nichelle, and Captain Kirk, played by William Shatner "who is still around.' Lieutenant Nyota Uhura? So long babe.

• 6 months later...

Carnival Row is an American neo-noir fantasy television series[1] created by René Echevarria and Travis Beacham, based on Beacham's unproduced film spec scriptA Killing on Carnival Row.[3] The series stars Orlando BloomCara DelevingneSimon McBurneyTamzin MerchantDavid GyasiAndrew GowerKarla Crome, Arty Froushan, Indira Varma, and Jared Harris. The series follows mythological beings who must survive as oppressed refugees in human society, as a human detective works to solve murders connected with them.

Carnival Row's first season was released in its entirety on Amazon Prime Video on August 30, 2019. In July 2019, Amazon renewed the series for a second season, which is set to premiere on February 17, 2023, and will serve as the series' final season. End of quote from Wikipedia.

Scary and gross but with high production values. Peter

Of course, aboves Rene Eschevarria worked on Star Trek TNG. I confused him with another Rene who appeared on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.     

Odo / ˈoʊdoʊ /, played by René Auberjonois, is a fictional character in the science fiction television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He is a member of a shapeshifting species called Changelings and serves as the head of security for the space station Deep Space Nine on which the show is set.

Alas, Rene Auberjonpos or “Odo” recently died from metastatic lung cancer at the age of 79. Peter

We watched “The Fabelmans” on Prime tonight for 6 bucks. It was nostalgic, sometimes a bit “down” and sometimes very “up beat.” How did Steven Spielberg become such a great filmmaker? Watch it and find out.

The Fabelmans (2022) Content Rating: PG-13 Director: Steven Spielberg Writer: Steven Spielberg, Tony Kushner Stars: Michelle Williams, Gabriel LaBelle, Paul Dano

Genre: Drama Growing up in post-World War II era Arizona, young Sammy Fabelman aspires to become a filmmaker as he reaches adolescence, but soon discovers a shattering family secret and explores how the power of films can help him see the truth.

• 2 months later...

Jonathan Frakes, the actor portraying Commander William Riker in the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation and subsequent films and series, joined the cast of the upcoming Star Trek: Resurgence. Frakes will assume his iconic role from the series and continue portraying Riker in an upcoming single-player Star Trek narrative scheduled to release on May 23, 2023, on Xbox, PlayStation, and PC via Epic Games . . . .

Peter,

Because I have decided to do family time, I'm watching some shows with my stepson every night. (He's high-functioning autistic, but cool. :) ) His whole aesthetic is Marvel and DC. We are going though Agents of Shield. We are in the middle of Season 5 right now.

There are some interesting ideas, but because I am so deep into storytelling study, I can see the seams in the plots and they are starting to get boring. :) 

What's more, the producers and writers are on a kick of creating so many parallel realities and having their main characters shapeshift from good guy to bad guy so often, it's hard to root for anyone. (I wonder if this is having an effect on younger people and helping make them ADD and confused.)

Add to that, each main character goes through bouts of self-doubt where they wonder if the Shield team would be better off without them and the ensuing chewing on razorblades dialogue and throughline has to play out. Most of the good guys are "inhumans" who are not accepted well by society. They are humans with human DNA mixed with alien DNA and each has a specific superpower. But some of the good guys are human only.

The evil villains always want to take over the world and universe in the name of Hydra and the good guys are always faced with SAVING THE WORLD. There are weird alien races who often look like Norwegian myth characters or blue Roman gladiators goosed up with alien-looking stuff. They keep an eye on mankind to make sure humans don't destroy everything. Don't forget the obligatory rock 'em sock 'em scenes that are little more than fistfights and gunfights. Throw in a little romance of the true love type, some themes (and names) based on the Bible of all things, one-off weird stuff that pops up now and then, and the gimmick that most main characters who die come back, and that just about wraps up that portion of the Marvel universe.

In the middle of that mess, there are some interesting characters, though, all centered around a daddy figure (named Phil Coulsen) who always makes sure things turn out all right in the end. Quake is kinda sexy, especially for the teen and twenties crowd, and the scientist-medical doctor lady (Jenna) reminds me of Mary Poppins. :) 

These kinds of shows are not written by single authors. There is a place called the "writer's room," which is a large table with 6 or 8 writers or so sitting around it. Their job is to "break a story," which basically means brainstorm and outline a story using certain standard formulas and templates. And there is a huge presentation board at the front. Negativity is banished. The writers throw out ideas and the ones that people in general like or think can be ginned up into something get written on the board. There are often places on the board like Opening, Ending, Climax, Act 2, and so on and the different ideas are thrown into these spaces. They also define their characters and traits as they go along.

Once the board if full of felt-tip written ideas and there is no more room to write, they discuss and narrow this list down until there is a balance of ideas following an outline that will fill out a specific time interval. Then one of them takes all that home, spends a day or few writing, and comes back with the script of a show. The writers read it, comment, then the one running the room (called the "show runner") makes changes and sends it on to production.

The reason I mention this is that by Season 5 in Agents of Shield (there are 7 seasons, groan... :) ), I think the writer's room has become nothing but drug-laced parties with a lot of enthusiasm for breaking a story. In the case of Season 5, the plot twists and bouncing all over the place is so frequent, it's hard for the audience to follow. Looks to me like the drug of choice in the writer's room for this season is cocaine or similar. :) 

btw - I don't watch Star Trek much, but I bet by now in today's culture, the writer's room for that series evolved into a kindred holy mess, too.

:) 

Michael

Peter,

If you want a good TV series that is as charming as it gets, see Florida Man. It's on Netflix.

Even the actor who plays Phil Coulsen in Agents of Shied is in it, but in a far, far different capacity. He's a sheriff who lost his gun and buys a hit murder weapon without knowing it. :) Also, the actor who played the chief detective in Without A Trace years ago is a fat mobster with a beard and tattoos all over his arms. He's great in this show.

Hilarious.

There is some suspense, but everything is unexpected all the time. And the pace is quick. But it's differnet than what I complained about above. It's not full of major plot twists and reversals where main characters change roles all the time.

A typical example about the murder weapon. The sheriff is visiting Florida with his family. Someone picks up his gun on the turnstile in the airport. He's neurotic about not having a gun and can't get one at a gun show because they can only ship the firearm to his residence (out of state). Meanwhile, a batshit crazy dude robs a convenience store trying to use an old WWII grenade. The store owner pulls out a ninja sword and gets nasty, so the batshit crazy dude pulls out a gun and shoots him dead, grabs the cash, then takes off running. When he gets to water, he throws the gun as far as he can and doesn't notice that it lands on a alligator's back. The alligator swims off and lands on a shore the next morning. A young guy going fishing in early morning sees the gun, fishes it away from the alligator, then finds out that this out-of-state sheriff is going nuts without a gun. So he sells it to him. :) 

Of course the sheriff, with his family, gets busted for a speeding ticket, then busted for having the murder weapon and gets thrown in prison. And on and on it goes.

And that's just the subplot. The main plot is just as charming if not more :) 

I rarely have as much fun as I am having with this one.

Michael

On 5/4/2023 at 7:54 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Peter,

Because I have decided to do family time, I'm watching some shows with my stepson every night. (He's high-functioning autistic, but cool. :) ) His whole aesthetic is Marvel and DC. We are going though Agents of Shield. We are in the middle of Season 5 right now.

There are some interesting ideas, but because I am so deep into storytelling study, I can see the seams in the plots and they are starting to get boring. :) 

What's more, the producers and writers are on a kick of creating so many parallel realities and having their main characters shapeshift from good guy to bad guy so often, it's hard to root for anyone. (I wonder if this is having an effect on younger people and helping make them ADD and confused.)

Add to that, each main character goes through bouts of self-doubt where they wonder if the Shield team would be better off without them and the ensuing chewing on razorblades dialogue and throughline has to play out. Most of the good guys are "inhumans" who are not accepted well by society. They are humans with human DNA mixed with alien DNA and each has a specific superpower. But some of the good guys are human only.

The evil villains always want to take over the world and universe in the name of Hydra and the good guys are always faced with SAVING THE WORLD. There are weird alien races who often look like Norwegian myth characters or blue Roman gladiators goosed up with alien-looking stuff. They keep an eye on mankind to make sure humans don't destroy everything. Don't forget the obligatory rock 'em sock 'em scenes that are little more than fistfights and gunfights. Throw in a little romance of the true love type, some themes (and names) based on the Bible of all things, one-off weird stuff that pops up now and then, and the gimmick that most main characters who die come back, and that just about wraps up that portion of the Marvel universe.

In the middle of that mess, there are some interesting characters, though, all centered around a daddy figure (named Phil Coulsen) who always makes sure things turn out all right in the end. Quake is kinda sexy, especially for the teen and twenties crowd, and the scientist-medical doctor lady (Jenna) reminds me of Mary Poppins. :) 

These kinds of shows are not written by single authors. There is a place called the "writer's room," which is a large table with 6 or 8 writers or so sitting around it. Their job is to "break a story," which basically means brainstorm and outline a story using certain standard formulas and templates. And there is a huge presentation board at the front. Negativity is banished. The writers throw out ideas and the ones that people in general like or think can be ginned up into something get written on the board. There are often places on the board like Opening, Ending, Climax, Act 2, and so on and the different ideas are thrown into these spaces. They also define their characters and traits as they go along.

Once the board if full of felt-tip written ideas and there is no more room to write, they discuss and narrow this list down until there is a balance of ideas following an outline that will fill out a specific time interval. Then one of them takes all that home, spends a day or few writing, and comes back with the script of a show. The writers read it, comment, then the one running the room (called the "show runner") makes changes and sends it on to production.

The reason I mention this is that by Season 5 in Agents of Shield (there are 7 seasons, groan... :) ), I think the writer's room has become nothing but drug-laced parties with a lot of enthusiasm for breaking a story. In the case of Season 5, the plot twists and bouncing all over the place is so frequent, it's hard for the audience to follow. Looks to me like the drug of choice in the writer's room for this season is cocaine or similar. :) 

btw - I don't watch Star Trek much, but I bet by now in today's culture, the writer's room for that series evolved into a kindred holy mess, too.

:) 

Michael

In Picard they brought back 7 of 9.  She is still hawt AF.  Plot? We don’t need no stinking plot mang!

• Smile 1