Songs You Can't Get out of your Head

Peter

6 hours ago, Peter said:

What is the best James Bond theme? "You Only Live Twice." 

Peter,

I am really partial to "For Your Eyes Only."

This is my favorite Bond theme, but it's also the only thing by Sheena Easton I ever heard that I like.

One flash of genius and poof. She's gone.

:) 

I could have embedded the version with the movie intro images, but they kind of spoil the song for me. It feels like the song goes one way (wonder of love in all its glory) and the images go another (cool dangerous secret agent man striking poses with gun and hot chick floating around). I don't even like the picture of Sheena above for this song. 

But I love the song.

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

But I love the song.

It is great but I still like the combination of the instruments in "You Only Live Twice" and the singing though I think Nancy Sinatra? fumbles a couple of notes.   

I like Sheena’s duet with Kenny Rogers singings “We’ve Got Tonight.” She goes from pop to country and reminds me of Reba. And then there is the beautiful duet with Dolly Parton and Vince Gill singing, “I Will Always Love You.” I still like Dolly's solo version better though.

The screen writer for “You Only Live Twice” was Roald Dahl. Dahl is probably more famous for his children’s books which include, “James and the Giant Peach,” “The BFG,” “Matilda,” and “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

From Wikipedia: In 1990, The Witches was adapted into a film starring Angelica Huston and Rowan Atkinson.  

A 2020 version of “The Witches” stars Octavia Spencer and Anne Hathaway (as the top witch) and was directed by Robert Zemeckis. Chris Rock narrates.

For Your Eyes Only sung by Sheena Easton is superb. After listening to it for a few more times I am starting to like this as the number one James Bond theme song. And the lyrics are upbeat and inspirational. Most quirky Bond theme? “Live and Let Die,” by Paul McCartney, though cold finger, “Gold Finger,” is also quirky. Peter

For Your Eyes Only

For your eyes only
Can see me through the night
For your eyes only
I never need to hide

You can see so much in me
So much in me that's new
I never felt until I looked at you

For your eyes only
Only for you
You see what no one else can see

And now I'm breaking free
For your eyes only
Only for you
The love I know you need in me

The fantasy you freed in me
Only for you
Only for you

For your eyes only
The nights are never cold
You really know me
That's all I need to know
Maybe I'm an open book
Because I know you're mine
But you won't need to read between the lines

For your eyes only
Only for you
You'll see what no one else can see
And now I'm breaking free
For your eyes only
Only for you
The passions that collide in me
The wild abandon side of me
Only for you
For your eyes only

Songwriters: Leeson Michael David, Conti William

• Like 1

Peter,

I love that song.

But there are a couple of things--only a couple, well maybe three--I would have done differently had I produced it.

The first is that the keyboard pounds too aggressively in the portion of the song where the rhythm kicks in. For a heroic sound, that's what brass are for. There are other options, too. But a keyboard pounding that hard sounds like it is trying too hard and pulls the ear a little out of the magic.

The second is that I would have stylized the rhythm a bit more where the rhythm kicks in instead of just a standard chuggie-chuggie-chuggie. There are some really cool things that would have laid down a commercial drum set groove with without trying to sound so commercial pop.

The third is in the words. There is a line that is a clunker to me: 

Maybe I'm an open book
But you won't need to read between the lines

I would change the last line to keep to the "total giving over to love of you" theme of the rest of the words. This line in the future tense clunks (stay in the fucking present tense, goddammit) and sounds like a first draft that didn't get corrected for whatever reason (too much whiskey and other goodies in the studio? :) ). I would have the songwriter change it to this or something similar:

Maybe I'm an open book
There's only you to read between the lines.

For your eyes only...

Something like that. 

And if the songwriters didn't want to change it, I would shoot them dead and do it my way anyway.

I'm almost afraid to make these complaints, though.

This song is magnificent.

Michael

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It’s not a Bond theme but the official video of them singing this song is just fine. I also just watched a video of them singing it live too but it wasn't as good as the studio version. Kenny Rogers & Sheena Easton - We've Got Tonight

I looked and saw this was the second time I have mentioned their duet. Odd how things stick in your brain . . . yesterday I woke up thinking of the name Rosanna Rossanadana but I had to look it up to see it was a character Gilda Radner played on SNL. 

Odd how you never forget songs you heard in your youth. I actually had this on a vinyl 45 way back when. It was a big hit and loved by Americans who served in Germany after the war. Ivo Robić ‎singing, “Morgen” in German. I think morgen means morning in English 

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Peter said:

"Sweet Child of Mine."
Damn, that is good. 

Peter,

The first time I heard that song, Sheryl Crow was singing it.

I was an instant fan.

Then she told everyone they should limit their toilet paper use to one sheet a dump. And that maybe this should become law.

Ever since that day, when I see her, I get a visual in my mind of her walking around in shitty panties.

Blech...

It kinda killed the feminine mystique about her for me.

And, quite frankly, I never cared for that song since.

I can't get that image out of my mind whenever I hear it.

Dirty diapers... Some sweet child...

Michael

Well nigh impossible to clear "Can't Come Back" out of my head now. I am in deepest Nostalgistan listening for '15 second video intro' candidates. I think it was penned in 1981.

Reviewing five more candidates from Los Popularos vinyl ... still hunting down "Mystery to Myself," which being ersatz Punk-Disco, may appeal to Michael Stuart Kelly, arranger and conductor. Fuck you, Perigo. I shagged all your sisters.

My ear says that the last chorus iterations: "I heard the words she never said" --from the struggling lead singer, is shit ... my sister suggested that the drunk flat hoarseness oughta be replaced by Ooooh and Aaaaah like The Carpenters. What the hell does she know?

Having listened to the outro at top volume via Audacity ... I am sick of the flat drunk maniac at the mic.

• Five bucks via payPal-ICON.png to Michael should you know if The Carpenters OOOAAAH is the right way to go to fix that flatness the fuck out of here.
  • Expect subtitle options for KARAOKE.
  • Ten bucks if you can quickly sketch out where a 2:17 meatchopper should strike .... just kill the second verse?

Until then, I will drop in a shorter, brighter, AM Radio mix. Download it and fuck it up, if you want.

CAN'T COME BACK

Can't Come Back

Or can you?

My manager says great people can produce great things when they "Fuck It Up."

He was a junkie and a burglar, so take that with a grain of salt. It works for me once a decade.

Spoiler

WSS: please reinterpret:
ChatGPT: Sure, interpreting the lyrics with a focus on longing would suggest that both the narrator and the woman have feelings of longing for each other.

The narrator is saying that the woman can't come back, but the fact that she actually will come back creates a sense of tension and anticipation for the reader.

It could be interpreted as the woman leaving for a short period of time, and the narrator is saying that she can't come back, but the reader knows that she will. This creates a sense of longing for the narrator, as he wishes for her to return.

The woman is also described as putting on a dress and perfume that the narrator had bought for her, and that she knows he likes, it could be interpreted as a sign of longing from the woman, as she is doing something to please the narrator and make him happy despite being apart.

Overall, the lyrics seem to express a deep sense of longing and yearning for the other person, despite the distance between them.

Edited by william.scherk
REVISION [3][4]

Thanks Michael that is an excellent version and I don’t agree with the following at all. I like it that Sheryl Crowe shies away from over doing the lyrics, “Where do we go . . . where do we go now.” Ha. It was from the movie “Big Daddy.” Peter

THAT WAS A BAD IDEA: SHERYL CROW COVERING SWEET CHILD O’ MINE From Audioeclectica Back in 1999, on the soundtrack and in the movie to the Adam Sandler film Big Daddy, something truly wrong happened. There was an atrocious cover of a song that should have never been allowed to be released. Sheryl Crow’s version of the Guns N Roses classic “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” I still remember hearing it in the movie and thinking this was terrible, and guess what, it still is. Her version was originally released as a bonus track on her third album. And even more interestingly, the recording not only won her a Grammy but, it was also produced by Rick Rubin. Over the years, Crow’s version has been regarded as one of the worst cover songs ever, and rightfully so. Despite all the negativity towards it though, it became somewhat of a hit in areas like Australia, Canada, Iceland and the U.K. I still want to know who thought this would be a good idea and who approved it to be in the movie.

Peter,

You quoted a dude named Brian Lacy, who is the sole writer for the Audioeclectica blog.

Here is what else he said:

Music is a great thing and there are no boundaries. There’s no such thing as a guilty pleasure here. Like what you like.

I listen to music with the ears of a composer and producer. Sheryl Crow's version of "Sweet Child of Mine" is technically, aesthetically, musically, and professionally super-high quality. So is the video part of the music video. Toilet paper notwithstanding... :) 

So whatever else Lacy is talking about, he is not talking about music.

Wanna bet he once hit on Sheryl, maybe backstage at a concert, and she told him to fuck off?

Michael

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

So whatever else Lacy is talking about, he is not talking about music.

I agree. He has no musical "ear" if he doesn't like her version. Thanks again for clueing me in. I didn't like the whiney sound present in the Guns N' Roses version, though the first few times didn't grate on me. 

On 1/23/2023 at 7:02 PM, william.scherk said:

My manager says great people can produce great things when they "Fuck It Up."

Which we did ... 

• 3 weeks later...

Art got in touch today! I'm hoping we remaining band members could bang out one last new A and B side. Here's hoping.

My fave of his mid-career. Big money? No. Lots of gratis labor and five thousand Canadian dollars. 

I am feeling so good. Of course, the lyrics require da singin, mon

Don’t Worry, Be Happy Bobby McFerrin

Here's a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
But when you worry you make it double
Don't worry be happy
Don't worry be happy now

Ooh-ooh-hoo-hoo-ooh hoo-hoo-ooh-ooh ooh
Don't worry
Woo ooh-woo-ooh-woo-ooh-ooh
Be happy
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry be happy
Ooh-ooh hoo-hoo-ooh hoo-hoo-ooh-ooh ooh-ooh
Don't worry
Woo ooh-woo-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Be happy
Woo-ooh-woo-ooh-ooh
Don't worry be happy

Ain't got no place to lay your head somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry be happy
The landlord say your rent is late he may have to litigate
Don't worry
Ha-ha ha-ha ha-ha
Be happy
Look at me I'm happy

Ooh-ooh-hoo-hoo-ooh ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry
Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh...
Be happy
Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Here I'll give you my phone number
When you're worried call me I'll make you happy

Don't worry
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Be happy
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh

Ain't got no cash ain't got no style
Ain't got no gal to make you smile
But don't worry be happy
'Cause when you're worried your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry be happy
Don't worry be happy now

Ooh-ooh-hoo-ooh-ooh ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry
Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Be happy
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry be happy

Ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-hoo-ooh-ooh
Be happy
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry be happy

Now there is this song I wrote
I hope you learned it note for note like good little children
Don't worry be happy
Listen to a what I say in your life expect some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry be happy be happy now

Don't worry
Be happy
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry be happy

Don't worry
Be happy
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry be happy

Ooh-ooh-hoo-ooh-ooh ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry (Don't worry, don't do it)
Be happy
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
(Put a smile on your face, don't bring everybody down like this)

Don't worry
It will soon pass, whatever it is
Woo ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh
Don't worry be happy

I'm not worried

Songwriters: Robert Mcferrin Jr.

I heard a song on a gospel show just before Marty Stuart's show comes on RFD, Saturday nights at 8pm. What is a song you love that could be a theme song to a show or one that you would not mind listening to every day in your car? I could listen to the following for 10 or 20 minutes a day for the rest of my life. The song is: The Almond Brothers playing “Jessica.”

• Like 1