JARS V14 N1 - Summer 2014

Guyau

The person who introduced me to Rand’s work discovered it by seeing the title The Virtue of Selfishness in a bookstore, was intrigued enough to buy it, and (alert, cliché ahead!) the rest is history. But for that title, OL might be 4,199 posts the poorer. :sad:

Do you believe this would not have happened if the title had been The Virtue of Self-Interest or The Virtue of Egoism?

The person who introduced me to Rand’s work discovered it by seeing the title The Virtue of Selfishness in a bookstore, was intrigued enough to buy it, and (alert, cliché ahead!) the rest is history. But for that title, OL might be 4,199 posts the poorer. :sad:

Do you believe this would not have happened if the title had been The Virtue of Self-Interest or The Virtue of Egoism?

From the way he tells the story: yes.

In re #27:

From my experience, I'd say it would have worked that way with me, too. (If I hadn't already read the novels, especially TF and AS, and been prepped for her special take on "selfishness.")

My response would have been along the lines: "Hmm. All my life I've been told that being selfish is *bad,* not virtuous. I wonder how she can say this?" Then I would have found out, and realized that there is a very nasty cultural-religious package-deal about the term, and that by clarifying it, a big prison door was opened for me.

In re #28:

I didn't feel insulted by the title, nor disappointed by her definition. I felt intrigued, then aha! so that's what they've been trying to get away with! It was yet another moment of Rand-delivered insight and liberation for me.

But perhaps my experience would have been different if I hadn't already read the novels. I hear some people say they read the non-fiction first and got it right away. I think the fiction definitely paved the way for me by giving the "big picture," then the non-fiction really sharpened a lot of important points and details.

REB

"Rational self interest" is the proper term. "Selfishness" is 70% polemical, called for in the 1960s, much less so today. "Selfishness" as in the title of the VOS was like a re-enforced bow on an ice breaker. Rand herself as a person served much the same function.

--Brant

Brant, Among others who understand all that is contained in "rational self interest", it works. For one's own purpose or as a quick explanation, it's fine, but what I think is really under debate is how individuals outside our circle will/do perceive it. And how one can 'sell' it. Making the concept in any way 'easier' to others is eventually self-defeating I believe.

On the one hand, one will superficially find agreement from many, the economically self-interested, self-responsible, decent people -- but from very different premises.

On the scale's other end, there are those to whom, not knowing (nor wanting to know) what is "rational", what is "self", nor "interest" - rational self-interest will be taken to mean their justification to be 'logically'-self-serving. That type of person who would instantly take to a perverted notion of rational self interest, will claim, "True. If I want and need something - it is logical - that I must take it or be given it." A cynical pragmatist or prudent predator who sacrifices others to himself, and insensibly also self-sacrifices in the process.

Nathaniel Branden called it "subjective egoism" (egotism). It may be initially startling to people, but a "rational selfishness" - a rational, objective, egoism - as morality, is which should be upheld, I think (although a quick explanation isn't possible).